Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2011, 5:38pm   #1
NEVRL8T
Barn Stall Owner #25
Activity: 0.5%

Thanked 1,217 Times in 817 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $20496850
Default New Members to this section

I wanted to welcome you all, from where ever you may have come from, to this section. I hope that I have not come off as too much of an abrasive asshole to any of you. I could never really get involved with discussions at CF because of the hostility towards novice owners and their lack of mechanical knowledge. I hope that changes here and now. I do not have much mechanical skills but I would LOVE to gain them with your help. Please be patient with me and any new members that lack what you know. Hopefully, with your knowledge and expertise, I/we can become self sufficient and won't have to fork out hard earned money on repairs that could be completed with our own hands. Thanks for your time.

Lee
NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NEVRL8T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 5:45pm   #2
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,214 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4309769

Lee....we're here to help. Like I said in the other thread, there is nothing that can break on your C4 that one or more of us hasn't already encountered and conquered. If you need help, just ask.
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 5:56pm   #3
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.8%

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,770 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

I still like pie..................
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 5:56pm   #4
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 51.4%

Thanked 7,851 Times in 3,501 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

I think that most folks are more than willing, and very much enjoy being able to share knowledge and experience. I have learned a lot on various forums over the years and am far from an expert but if I see a question that I know something about I will gladly repay all of the times that I have been helped.

I've never really seen an issue because of a lack of mechanical knowledge but more as a result of the same questions over and over and over.

-"How do I get 400hp from my L98 for $1000"
-"Is a C4 better than a C5"
-"What oil should I use"
-"Can I fit C5 wheels on my car"
-"How much is my C4 worth"

...etc, etc, etc.

Either way, I think the folks here are all working to make this a good forum for fun as well as technical advice when things go wrong which we all know is a somewhat regular occurance with C4s.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 7:35pm   #5
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120
Activity: 22.7%

Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,593 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9282448

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
I think that most folks are more than willing, and very much enjoy being able to share knowledge and experience. I have learned a lot on various forums over the years and am far from an expert but if I see a question that I know something about I will gladly repay all of the times that I have been helped.

I've never really seen an issue because of a lack of mechanical knowledge but more as a result of the same questions over and over and over.

-"What oil should I use"

...etc, etc, etc.

Either way, I think the folks here are all working to make this a good forum for fun as well as technical advice when things go wrong which we all know is a somewhat regular occurance with C4s.
Those threads should be closed upon request. Thats was one of the biggest BS on the other side. The mods saw them and did nothing.

People wants 500 HP with $1,000

Is NOT Going To Happen

yes, nice and green

I expect some rep points.
PLRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 8:31pm   #6
nutz4c4
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4969152

What the dog said.... Pete,you forgot the Great thermostat debate...
nutz4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 8:41pm   #7
socalman
Barn Stall Owner #21
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $850

Thanks Lee. I too am a noob at working on these cars. I can do most bolt on/off applications- brakes, suspension etc but the Computerized systems are new to me.

I'd have to say the C4 is probably the hardest to get diagnosis from, as it's OBD1 system is primitive and uninformative. Minimal codes and many times no codes will set with an obvious problem. I'm thinking C3's (with exception of 82) would have been easier systems with no computers and my C5 can tell me most anything with an FSM and a cheap scanner or read the DIC.
socalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 9:13pm   #8
WW7
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,005 Times in 537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32945423

Lee sent me money, so any problems he has I will be glad to help him Actually if I can help anyone Im glad to ...WW

Last edited by WW7; 01-23-2011 at 9:47pm.
WW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 9:25pm   #9
NEVRL8T
Barn Stall Owner #25
Activity: 0.5%

Thanked 1,217 Times in 817 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $20496850

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post

-"What oil should I use"

...etc, etc, etc.

I have to agree 100%. I hated those threads myself. Luckily, you will never see any of those threads started by me.

1) I don't have an L98
2) Who cares?
3) If you haven't figured this out by now then you shouldn't own a C4.
4) If I ever put new wheels on my car; C5 wheels won't be the ones I choose.
5) I know exactly what mine's worth - To someone else - very little. To me - priceless.

NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 9:57pm   #10
C4fan
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,418 Times in 706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmer View Post
I have limited knowledge but am always willing to help if I can.
Me too, When I first got mine I was apprehensive to do moderate jobs like a opti. Now I have my engine pulled and I'm cleaning the engine compartment and swapping parts getting ready to put the new 383 in. I would have never tried it without help. When I was going to put my headers on I was asking for advice on the other forum. The best single piece of advice I got was "stop thinking about it and just do it".
C4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53pm   #11
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4c4 View Post
What the dog said.... Pete,you forgot the Great thermostat debate...
Hey you know, that a debate in the C5 & C6 sections as well. I've heard those guys bashing a lot of people. At least we know that for the LT1 engine a 160 is a great idea (summer) hands down but, the LSx engines run cooler and they have many different opinions.

Once I compared a 2004 LS1 Auto with my LT1Auto and they run 20-25 degrees cooler. The aluminum block spoke for itself.
Old 01-24-2011, 7:34am   #12
ottawabarber
Vette Barn Regular

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $134985

When I first came on the other board it was to find help for the headlight bushings. Didn't know it was the bushings but learned it was and how to fix it. I have to say, I tried the search feature on the old forum, and was not able to find anything as it really never has been very good at searching keywords.... ANYWAY.... I was grateful to the many who provided me links and encouraging words as I sucessfully fixed the bastards.

I was especially pleased that even though the "headlight issues" are beaten like the dead horse, I was new to the forum, and didn't know that. The ones who stepped up and offered me REAL help are many that I see here at the barn.

I agree the usual threads get tiresome, but we were all new to these cars, and sometimes it's the "baby steps" taken that make the larger projects easier to tackle when the time comes. I am a huge reader of the threads and PLRX's rebuild project (best sticky EVER) was incredible and I thought OMG I hope I never have to see that with mine..... well as many know I had a cracked cylinder and rebuilt my L98 last winter - and BECAUSE of PLRX's detailed write up I understood the steps my friend took while tearing apart and rebuilding my engine. I was his tool bitch, not the wrencher.... but I feel more comfortable now when I am twisting a few bolts.

Bottom line to me is; YES the same-0 same-0 questions are old, but sometimes the person asking REALLY doesn't know..... (other times I think some just want to write something for the hell of it)
The "ultimate DIY thread" is great as a reference tool to any nOObs, and even to the experienced.

One final word about this is the tone. It is often "how" the questions are asked, more that "what" the questions are that gets the responses ---- good or bad. If it is asked like a smart azz, then the answers will be the same. If asked in kind honest words, I generally see legitimate solutions to the questions. JMO

Wow----- sorry for the rant, this topic just got me thinking what makes me happy here, and what pizzzed me off at CF.
ottawabarber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ottawabarber For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01am   #13
C4fan
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawabarber View Post
I have to say, I tried the search feature on the old forum, and was not able to find anything as it really never has been very good at searching keywords....

This is what I have encountered, the search tool over there isn't very easy to use sometimes. The problem is, if you search far enough or hard enough you might find what your looking for. But, time is valuable so, you can search for hours and maybe find what your looking for or try to describe in detail what you need help on.

Where some go wrong is by not even giving the search a try, such as "what oil should I use".

Obviouisly the answer is in the middle. Do a search to where you're confident your problem has not been covered numerous times and post away.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16am   #14
socalman
Barn Stall Owner #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4fan View Post
This is what I have encountered, the search tool over there isn't very easy to use sometimes. The problem is, if you search far enough or hard enough you might find what your looking for. But, time is valuable so, you can search for hours and maybe find what your looking for or try to describe in detail what you need help on.

Where some go wrong is by not even giving the search a try, such as "what oil should I use".

Obviouisly the answer is in the middle. Do a search to where you're confident your problem has not been covered numerous times and post away.
Search actually works good if you filter it. Click 'Advanced Search', then Click 'Titles Only' and then click only the sections you need. You can hold the Contrl button and click C4 Gen, C4 Tech, C4 Scan and not get returned items back that don't help you. Putting in one word or " " quotations on a small phrase works well too. Like "C5 Brakes" in the C4 section you will get better returned info on the upgrade.

The main problem is, there are many threads that get started and then die on the vine without a definative answer or the OP never returns to see if what people suggested works.

Last edited by socalman; 01-24-2011 at 3:27pm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 11:51am   #15
C4fan
A Real Barner

I always thought there might be a way to use " " symbols but wasn't sure how. Good info, thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 3:19pm   #16
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8T View Post
I wanted to welcome you all, from where ever you may have come from, to this section. I hope that I have not come off as too much of an abrasive asshole to any of you. I could never really get involved with discussions at CF because of the hostility towards novice owners and their lack of mechanical knowledge. I hope that changes here and now. I do not have much mechanical skills but I would LOVE to gain them with your help. Please be patient with me and any new members that lack what you know. Hopefully, with your knowledge and expertise, I/we can become self sufficient and won't have to fork out hard earned money on repairs that could be completed with our own hands. Thanks for your time.

Lee
funny you say that. i just got a C5 and have started posting a little in the CF C5 section.

I have been totally ignored. I NEVER encountered that with these guys in the C4 section and I was a total noob. I guess they felt sorry for me. I sure did some of them
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 3:23pm   #17
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman View Post
Search actually works good if you filter it. Click 'Titles Only' and then click only the sections you need. You can hold the Contrl button and click C4 Gen, C4 Tech, C4 Scan and not get returned items back that don't help you. Putting in one word or " " quotations on a small phrase works well too. Like "C5 Brakes" in the C4 section you will get better returned info on the upgrade.

The main problem is, there are many threads that get started and then die on the vine without a definative answer or the OP never returns to see if what people suggested works.
exactly, it gets very frustrating. there are a few who come back, but very few. I have spent hours on past threads only to find out what I already knew, and that was "I don't know what to do"

The ones that take time to write up a procedure are the most helpful ones. IMO and I'm mostly right!
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 3:27pm   #18
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
funny you say that. i just got a C5 and have started posting a little in the CF C5 section.

I have been totally ignored. I NEVER encountered that with these guys in the C4 section and I was a total noob. I guess they felt sorry for me. I sure did some of them
You fail to start a floor mat thread. Thats how you break the ice with the C5 and C6 people. If you want max participation start the Zaino, brake fluid and under the hood graphics thread.

If would love a punchline, it would be: Thinking about a Supercharger, which one is better?

If you want the thread to be closed: What's the Big Deal between the Z06 LS7 and Grand Sport LS3?
The Following User Says Thank You to PLRX For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 3:34pm   #19
socalman
Barn Stall Owner #21

Quote:
The ones that take time to write up a procedure are the most helpful ones. IMO and I'm mostly right!
Now that's the attitude of a RED Vette owner!!

(popped your cherry- REP Power!!)
Old 01-24-2011, 3:38pm   #20
socalman
Barn Stall Owner #21

Quote:

They're not ignoring you. It's all that gold jewelry hanging off their necks, bouncing blinding lights off the monitor and they just can't see you... or anything they read for that matter.

Why do you think everyone gets a or in CF C5 Gen?

Thread Idea:

Do they make a C4 Body kit to go on the C5?

I sold my C4 for a C5, but mostly to have a newer and faster car hopefully with less headaches. The sad reality is, the C4 is way better looking than the C5 so I was hoping someone made a body kit

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion