Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02pm   #21
ConstantChange
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,119 Times in 685 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2117903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco Vette View Post
The magazine ad was scheduled for the November issue, sent out in October. At a trade show this weekend the magazine had advance copies for promotions that they were giving out, 20 days before we expected them to be out.
So it's IT's fault that someone else F'd up? Another reason I love working in IT. Everything is an emergency to someone.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12pm   #22
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 6,921 Times in 2,621 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantChange View Post
So it's IT's fault that someone else F'd up? Another reason I love working in IT.
It is not that they messed up. It is their lack of a response to a clearly worded set of instructions that they understood and acknowledged, including "I don't care about fonts and colors, get factual information that you have up on the website NOW." Eight hours later, the excuse I was given literally did include font considerations and colors. Nothing related to functionality.

Quote:
Everything is an emergency to someone.
It doesn't matter if you're in IT, NASA, or McDonald's. If you have customers (ie if someone pays you for your services) you are going to have to deal with your customers' emergencies or risk losing the customers.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 1:10pm   #23
MattW
Barn Stall Owner #81
Barn Raising II
Activity: 19.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5242

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you're in IT, NASA, or McDonald's. If you have customers (ie if someone pays you for your services) you are going to have to deal with your customers' emergencies or risk losing the customers.
Nail on the head. Too many people - most, actually - come to think of their position as self-justifying. I help run a small manufacturing plant, and I have experienced many times, IT and other support personnel, who don't realize, at heart, all of our jobs are about "Make parts. Put parts in boxes. Ship parts" and NOT maintaining their comfortable, low-key home away from home.

I've railroaded through many heads over the years "I don't CARE what you're doing now; unless what you're doing will materially helps us expedite the customer's order, stop now and do what I told you to do!"

Three years ago, my bunch had a quality issue which required us to sort through tens of thousands of parts in order to meet customer requirements. My President, the guy who runs the company (but still calls himself "Chief Salesman") was one of the first people back in the warehouse to sort the product. After a few hours one of my guys (hourly; non-Union) whined a little about missing his break; I pointed at the president and said "You can take a break when he does."

MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MattW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 1:12pm   #24
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 6.8%

Thanked 33,025 Times in 14,165 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
Nail on the head. Too many people - most, actually - come to think of their position as self-justifying. I help run a small manufacturing plant, and I have experienced many times, IT and other support personnel, who don't realize, at heart, all of our jobs are about "Make parts. Put parts in boxes. Ship parts" and NOT maintaining their comfortable, low-key home away from home.

I've railroaded through many heads over the years "I don't CARE what you're doing now; unless what you're doing will materially helps us expedite the customer's order, stop now and do what I told you to do!"

Three years ago, my bunch had a quality issue which required us to sort through tens of thousands of parts in order to meet customer requirements. My President, the guy who runs the company (but still calls himself "Chief Salesman") was one of the first people back in the warehouse to sort the product. After a few hours one of my guys (hourly; non-Union) whined a little about missing his break; I pointed at the president and said "You can take a break when he does."

you work for a guy who gets it....

if you are not helping bring in $$, ask 'why not'.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 1:18pm   #25
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post

Having made the transition from a service based job (public accounting) to an overhead corporate roll (corporate accounting & reporting) the attitude of people really just shocks me.

Before in public accounting everybody knows what their job is, and if it's not billable they pretty much aren't doing it. We were allowed to use the admin staff for local personal errands if needed, and of course coffee, copies, ect, whatever help we needed we could just ask, and they'd do it.

Now working in the private world, I've heard "that's not my job" more than I would EVER have imagined. At the end of the day our job is to serve our companies in the field the best way we can, and stay on the good side of the SEC & our auditors. Way too many people seem to forget that.
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stangkiller For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic