Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 9:50am   #101
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,414 Times in 17,226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug28450 View Post
I continue to be amazed that McQueary, the guy who witnessed the incident and could have put an end to it then has somehow managed to weather the storm. He should have been sent packing along with Paterno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgator View Post
But, as someone mentioned earlier, they should just send the whole lot of them packing. Clean house completely!

If you truly see something that blatant, why wouldn't you walk in and say, " Hey, WTF are you doing? WTF is going on here? Stop that. Something!"

Um, you walk away and report it later? Really? That should be the first guy fired, because unlike Sandusky, he freely admits he screwed the pooch (pun intended). Even if Sandusky is innocent, McQeary is not. Either he failed to stop an assault of a little kid going on right in front of him, or he perjured himself and committed libel against Sandusky....either one should be a fireable offense.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:18am   #102
neece
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post

If you truly see something that blatant, why wouldn't you walk in and say, " Hey, WTF are you doing? WTF is going on here? Stop that. Something!"

Um, you walk away and report it later? Really? That should be the first guy fired, because unlike Sandusky, he freely admits he screwed the pooch (pun intended). Even if Sandusky is innocent, McQeary is not. Either he failed to stop an assault of a little kid going on right in front of him, or he perjured himself and committed libel against Sandusky....either one should be a fireable offense.
ginger kids
neece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21am   #103
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 27.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

very interesting read here:

A Patriot-News Special Report: Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky? There were many missed chances to investigate as early as 1995 | PennLive.com
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:00pm   #104
Doug28450
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1126385

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Ok I think I have a plausible answer or two the "Why didn't he say/do anything" question about the witness.

It is plausible the person who witnessed the attack was stunned/shocked to the point of being paralyzed. He was in total disbelief and walked away. Then came to his senses and did the only thing left he felt he knew to do and report the incident.

Of course at that point, without any evidence to backup his story, its a he-said vs he-said argument. Now if the boy who was attacked came forward and backed up the claim made by the witness, then all bets are off.

So why he didn't go in there and beat the crap out of the guy because he was so full of anger and rage at what happened? Again, it's plausible he felt his life might be in danger if he confronted the attacker. If the attacker is willing to sexually assault a young boy, what's to stop him from killing a witness to the crime?

Let me be perfectly clear, I'm just throwing out plausible answers to questions. There is no way on God's green earth I condone what has transpired here. This situation is such an epic fuster cluck it defies words. Anyone and everyone who had a hand in what appears to be a cover up needs to face the maximum legal penalty. Period.
Both plausible.

It's also possible that McQueary had concern about the security of his Graduate Assistant position. Apparently, Sandusky still had some clout at the University. It appears that he had freedom to use facilities and access to the staff. I would guess that Paterno and Sandusky still had a relationship (no pun intended) based on their long history together. By bringing this to the attention of authorities he may have stepped on the wrong toes and found himself on the outside of the stadium looking in.

It appears that Paterno is covering his bases. Apparently he has contacted attorney J. Sedgwick Sollers. Sollers represented George H. W. Bush during the Iran/Contra ordeal.
Doug28450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10pm   #105
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
Originally Posted by neece View Post
ginger kids
Opie Taylor like isn't he?
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23pm   #106
Doug28450
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Oh please don't tell me you're going to use the "it's Bush's fault" line.

We had to listen to that nonsense from the libbies for eight years.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:36pm   #107
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,414 Times in 17,226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
ginger kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I guess I'm still a little slow, 'cause I don't get it. Is this what we are talking about?

1. ginger kids

Red haired, freckled faced, and light skinned youths. They have no soul, must stay away from sun, are creepy, and... in the middle of the night, will come to get you. The gene is recessive, and can remain dormant until adolescence. Stay away from ginger kids.

In the 9th season of South Park, Eric became what he despised: a ginger kid. He then became the leader of the ginger kids supremacist group, whose main intent was to exterminate all non-gingers.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 2:13pm   #108
Entropy
Fantasy Football Champ '12

Thanked 1,264 Times in 766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90918

Bill, he's the red headed guy in this link.

Mike McQueary Won't Coach Against Nebraska Due to Threats
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 2:53pm   #109
mikeg826
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $139239

interesting opinion on the McQueary role, I agree with this:

Mike McQueary and Penn State as a teachable moment for parents - ESPN

Quote:
After watching about as much Penn State coverage as I could stomach Wednesday night, I turned off the television, checked to make sure all the doors in the house were locked, poured myself a glass of water, then looked in on my sleeping 14-year-old son.

I knew he was safe, but I just had to make sure.

I'm always making sure.

That's what parents are supposed to do -- worry about their children.

Take care of their children.

Do right by their children.

My mom still looks after me; I look after my son; and, if God sees fit to one day bless him with children of his own, I pray I have not failed him. I pray that I have sewn into his heart the sound sense of morality he needs to look after them.

To do right by them.

Now I do not know exactly what was said between Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary and his father, John, on March 1, 2002-- the night Mike, then a 28-year-old graduate assistant, told his father that he had witnessed a little boy being raped by Jerry Sandusky in the locker room.

I do not know what they said to each other on March 2 or 3 or in 2004 or even last week.

But after reading the 23-page grand jury report surrounding the Sandusky allegations, I do know this: On the night of March 1, 2002, John did not do right by his son.

Parents are supposed to teach their children right from wrong. From the looks of the report, the elder McQueary let nine years pass without picking up the telephone to tell authorities what he knew, what his son had told him he witnessed.

This, despite being a prominent youth coach himself.

This despite being a father, like his son.

I ask you, what kind of example is that?

"It's not that he's not willing [to talk]," John told The New York Times. "I think it's eating him up not to be able to tell his side, but he's under investigation by the grand jury. He'll make it. He's a tough kid."

I try not to be too hard on the decisions some parents make with regard to raising their kids. Lord knows I don't always get it right. In fact, I'm sure I get a whole lot wrong.

But damn -- little boys?

Rape?

I'm just not sure how anyone could get this one wrong, but a lot of people did. And seeing how some find humor in turning Sandusky's name into a verb, obviously a lot of people are still getting this one wrong.

Mike, now the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, should not have to be told by school officials to stay away from Penn State's last home game because of multiple threats and fear for his safety.

He should have the decency not to want to show his face there ever again.

The fact that he didn't resign long before Joe Paterno was fired also reflects poorly on the conversation he had with his father in 2002.

"He did what he was supposed to do," John told USA Today earlier this week.

Maybe.

But I wouldn't want either one of these coaches around my son. Not if "supposed to do" in this situation is good enough for them.

At least now we have a better understanding of why Mike didn't try to stop the rape. We can see how Mike, on the outside at least, could wash his hands clean of the situation after telling school administrators. His father said he's a "tough kid." He would have to be. I know I wouldn't have the strength to look myself in the mirror every day for nine years knowing I saw a little boy being sexually assaulted and I didn't try to stop it or even call the cops.

Twice this week, I sat down with my son and talked to him about this story.

I suspect we will talk about it many more times because it is important to me that he understands what is expected of him. He is to be respectful to teachers, listen to his coaches -- and throw both of those expectations out of the window if he witnesses them doing something unlawful or horrible.

Then come to me, and we will work it out together. If he's afraid to talk to the police, I'll stand beside him as he makes that call.

If there's anything to take away from this terrible news, it's an opportunity to talk to the kids in our care about the people they are hanging around with and the people they are talking on social media sites; to use this Penn State tragedy as a teachable moment about ethics and morality.

Mike turned to his father for direction that night in 2002, and John handed him a broken compass. Then, for years, he continued to let his son walk down the wrong path.

I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. I'm sure he loves his son as much as I love mine, as much as you love any kids you may have.

But after Sandusky, I have a hard time seeing anyone connected to this story more unnerving than Mike McQueary's father -- a man who sat back and allowed his son's soul to erode in a cesspool of self-preservation and cowardliness.

We are suppose to do right by our kids, teach them the difference between right and wrong.

In this situation, John just didn't do that.

My hope is that he can at least teach Mike how to learn from his mistakes.

And that we, as saddened, angered on-lookers, can learn from theirs.
mikeg826 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeg826 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 3:49pm   #110
neece
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
yep, with the intelligence of Goober
neece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 3:56pm   #111
Doug28450
A Real Barner

Quote:
yep, with the intelligence of Goober
Why are you insulting Goober? Goober would have done the right thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 4:05pm   #112
NB2K
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1545413

When you have kids, you are constantly teaching them about right and wrong.
You try to educate them and keep them safe. You try to think of everything and that's probably why parents are so repetitive.

When my daughter was 8, she fell off her bike and broke her arm.
I was about 20 yards away and saw her go over the handlebars and heard the thump. As soon as I heard the sound I knew it was a break; you just know.

When I asked her what happened she said she locked the front brakes and went over (she was trying to see how fast she go around the circle).
"Dad, you never told me that could happen."
She wasn't mad, she wasn't crying, but she was right.

I had failed. I should have made sure she knew all the consequences of riding a bike. I had given her the basics, but not the "what ifs". For a long time, I beat myself up over that.

When I hear folks say Paterno followed the letter of the law, I have a hard time with it.
He, and others, knew better and they failed. Miserably.
NB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 4:11pm   #113
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 8,401 Times in 4,254 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Penn State Ginger is put on Admin leave.....AKA-We're gonna fire yo ass soon !!
VatorMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 4:15pm   #114
Doug28450
A Real Barner

Looks like the house cleaning may take place.

Penn State to recruits: A "national search is on" for coach
Old 11-11-2011, 4:49pm   #115
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Activity: 28.6%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 8,051 Times in 3,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1317070

Barry Switzer:

“Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret,” Switzer said. “Everyone on that staff had to have known, the ones that had been around a long time.”

Read more: Penn State tragedy: Barry Switzer says Joe Paterno had to go | NewsOK.com
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 5:24pm   #116
catbert
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $572

I've admired JoePa for a long time, but there is no defense for him not ensuring the abuse was really investigated as soon as he heard about it. "I should have done more" is a sad response from Joe. There are a lot of possible reasons for not following up after nothing was done, and none of the reasons are adequate. Good men did nothing.
catbert is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic