Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2023, 12:48pm   #1
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 29.2%

Thanked 15,024 Times in 4,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001941
Default A Couple Sting Rays Not Normally Seen At Car Shows

One is a USCG helo Sting Ray class, the other is a USCG coastal patrol cutter USCGC Sting Ray.
If you're a drug runner on the water, the one in the air will disable your engines with a quick burst or two, the one on the water will pick up the pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
air sting ray.jpg  

sting ray gunner.jpg  

CGC sting ray.jpg  

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 1:06pm   #2
Louie Detroit
Barn Stall Owner #0331
Activity: 65.5%

Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,264 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I heard the US military has been having a problem with deadly helicopter crashes lately and all non-essential flights are currently cancelled. I guess the diversity training they're pushing is more important than actual field training.
Louie Detroit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 2:40pm   #3
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 29.2%

Thanked 15,024 Times in 4,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie Detroit View Post
I heard the US military has been having a problem with deadly helicopter crashes lately and all non-essential flights are currently cancelled. I guess the diversity training they're pushing is more important than actual field training.
One of the reasons why my son (UH-60 pilot) retired, too much time spent on inclusion, diversity, trans shit, everyone is equal crap than spending on actual real world training. Our military, although as mighty as it is, is having problems with the agendas that are forced on the troops.

Our military is designed to protect our country and its people, and kill the enemy when necessary.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 2:49pm   #4
Louie Detroit
Barn Stall Owner #0331
Activity: 65.5%

Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Our military is designed to protect our country and its people, and kill the enemy when necessary.
****ing A!
Louie Detroit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 9:01pm   #5
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,810 Times in 17,397 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
One of the reasons why my son (UH-60 pilot) retired, too much time spent on inclusion, diversity, trans shit, everyone is equal crap than spending on actual real world training. Our military, although as mighty as it is, is having problems with the agendas that are forced on the troops.

But it isn't. If it was, we'd have troops on the border repelling the invasion. I have an easy plan...2,000 miles of border to defend, some of it that already has bases on it like Ft. Bliss. Build a wall with service road, put up sensors and also a pill box every half mile, so ~ 4,000 pillboxes, 4 men/pillbox, 4 shifts including a little overlap for shift change.....16 total men/location.....4,000 locations, that's 64,000 men, add 2 men/actual border troop for logistics and support, so another 128,000 gives us a total of 192,000 actual on the ground troops, then add in air support, which I figure could just as well be armed predator drones, maybe a few c-130 Spookys standing by for SHTF scenarios.

That's a lot of people, but WTF is our military for? IDGAF about outposts in 120+ countries around the world. IDGAF about Ukraine. We don't need all those bases. Close some down, bring the jobs and bases back here. Defend the border, I mean, defend it, shut it down tighter than a dick's hatband, bring jobs back to America, INCLUDING all the ancillary civilian jobs that go along with running military bases. It would be a huge boon to the American economy, especially in the generally poorer border areas of the US.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2023, 7:23am   #6
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 81.7%

Thanked 2,063 Times in 1,217 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:

Helicopter Formation flying most prominent starting back in Vietnam. To get platoon sized numbers of GI's in one area at once .

Flying in formation is 100% focus on the pilot who is at the controls. At night wearing Night Vision Goggles really sucks because you lose depth perception.

Training is to keep the formation tight. I recall the first time I ever wore them. Coming for a normal approach to the ground. IP ask me how high I thought I was. I said about 10 feet and immediately hit the ground.

We all saw the official statements put out in response which seems like the military conducting policy change, reviews and my favorite "studies" on the matter.

I flew these things for 22 years. When a pair of helicopters collide while flying formation, the simple fact is "Oops! (Really)

This pic below is my flight school graduation flyover my mother took back in the 70's. It is a very loose formation Most formations will have a couple more helis in between what is seen here to fill it up making it a bit hair raising.

My guess is the wing man in the back wanted to see how close he could get. Like any other profession, because one is qualified does not mean he's any good at it.

slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:27am   #7
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 1,362 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
Helicopter Formation flying most prominent starting back in Vietnam. To get platoon sized numbers of GI's in one area at once .

Flying in formation is 100% focus on the pilot who is at the controls. At night wearing Night Vision Goggles really sucks because you lose depth perception.

Training is to keep the formation tight. I recall the first time I ever wore them. Coming for a normal approach to the ground. IP ask me how high I thought I was. I said about 10 feet and immediately hit the ground.

We all saw the official statements put out in response which seems like the military conducting policy change, reviews and my favorite "studies" on the matter.

I flew these things for 22 years. When a pair of helicopters collide while flying formation, the simple fact is "Oops! (Really)

This pic below is my flight school graduation flyover my mother took back in the 70's. It is a very loose formation Most formations will have a couple more helis in between what is seen here to fill it up making it a bit hair raising.

My guess is the wing man in the back wanted to see how close he could get. Like any other profession, because one is qualified does not mean he's any good at it.

Do you remember the Silver Eagles demo team? Those guys were flat out bad ass! Wish there were good film of their performances.
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic