Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2011, 1:04pm   #1
Tulsa Vette Guy
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13
Default ******* fuel******a must read

********************FUEL*********************
REGULAR, PREMIUM, REAL GAS
10% ETHENOL, 15% ETHENOL
WHATS RIGHT FOR YOU!!!!!
It’s so confusing these days. After reading the headline in the local news paper a few weeks back I felt it was time to share with you what I know about fuel and our Corvettes. First off let me start by saying I don’t know it all. I do know how the computer in your car works and what’s programmed into it. The performance side my business requires that I reprogram certain parts of the computer for the modifications you have made to your cars, eg; Headers, cold air intake systems, aftermarket cams, and cylinder heads.
Let’s start off with your situation. Is your car stock?
1985 through 1995 Vettes. Your injectors will probably go out if you are using 10% or more Ethenol.
It’s just a matter of time. Take the opportunity to upgrade to the new style injectors when your time comes. Your car will run better and mileage will pick up a bit. Newer Vettes have a different injector so the E10 and E15 Fuels won’t hurry them.
Most of us know fuel burns at 14.7 to 1 parts air to fuel. Actually premium fuel burns at 14.63 to 1. Anyway what’s important to know is 10% Ethenol burns at 14.13 to and the new 15% Enthenol will burn at approximately 13.85 to 1. So, every time you dilute real gas with Ethenol you will have to use more fuel to make the same amount of power. If you get nothing else from this article get this…..every time you floor the gas pedal on your Vette you will need more fuel with Ethenol blends.
The computer in your car is programmed to go richer than normal Air to Fuel Ratio at wide open throttle positions. Most vettes are in the 11.3 to 11.8 Air to Fuel Ratio range. Now with E10 that changes to 11.8 to 12.3 which is still a good safe ratio. But go to E15 and that ratio changes to 12.1 to 12.6 and you don’t have much of a safety margin left. One bad tank of fuel and you could damage your engine.
YOUR CAR IS MODIFIED?
This opens so many scenarios that I can’t cover them all in this article. Here is Readers Digest version. Your car has been modified. You had it tuned (Computer was Reprogrammed for your modifications) by someone that assumed you ran real gas all the time. Most tuners will set your wide open throttle air to fuel ratio 12.8 to 1 for max power. After all isn’t that why you modded your car. Now if you are running E10 your air to fuel ratio is really 13.3 to 1 and you are living on a prayer. You don’t have a chance on E15. LS motors are famous for loosing cylinder number seven in the above scenario. There has been 2 club members loose motors that has been inspected both engines the damage was due to “detonation”. When this happens the piston and the engine block cracks. You now have a boat anchor.
Bottom line is this, if your car is modified and tuned have someone look at your tune and by all means let him know what fuel you are running.This article was written by a well know tuner, I have taken this article to post in hopes it will help other Vette owners as well as myself. Thanks to the writer for his study of fuels and tunes.
Tulsa Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tulsa Vette Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 1:08pm   #2
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916

Thanks for the info
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 8:39am   #3
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,762 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152

Are all Gas staions required to post if they have an ethenol blend ?,I have been using Shell gas for years and don't remember seeing any signs.I do know a buddy of mine ran E-85 in his two boat motors and it screwed them up big time.
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12pm   #4
Tulsa Vette Guy
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucwheat View Post
Are all Gas staions required to post if they have an ethenol blend ?,I have been using Shell gas for years and don't remember seeing any signs.I do know a buddy of mine ran E-85 in his two boat motors and it screwed them up big time.

As I said, Thats a no,no,.
Tulsa Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion