Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
She hasn't a clue about history, heritage
How is your Southern heritage different from Black heritage? You wanna preserve your Southern heritage, hey that's cool. I wanna preserve my Sicilian heritage.

And Blacks wanna preserve their Black heritage.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 6:57am   #42
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,075 Times in 17,078 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
How is your Southern heritage different from Black heritage? You wanna preserve your Southern heritage, hey that's cool. I wanna preserve my Sicilian heritage.

....and girls just wanna have fun.

Unfortunately, I haven't met any of those girls lately.

bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 7:03am   #43
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
....and girls just wanna have fun.

Unfortunately, I haven't met any of those girls lately.

Cindy Lauper is a big Lesbianism advocate ya know.
Old 06-25-2015, 7:10am   #44
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

Quote:

There is no movement or undercurrent to remove any other symbols of heritage except for Southern ones. I can't celebrate or express mine without being labeled as a racist.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 7:28am   #45
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 20.9%

Thanked 33,735 Times in 12,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 7:39am   #46
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post

There is no movement or undercurrent to remove any other symbols of heritage except for Southern ones. I can't celebrate or express mine without being labeled as a racist.
I'm not saying your claim is unfounded. But, do you deny the link between your Southern heritage and slavey? You can't simply ignore it as if it never happened because it's inconvenient.

My point is this; there's Blacks in this country. American citizens with the same rights you have. I'm not saying you shouldn't celebrate your heritage, (You should see my mothers side of he family on St. Patrick's Day. Holy hell) but you should be mindful of the slavery issue. <shrug>
Old 06-25-2015, 7:46am   #47
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
I'm not saying your claim is unfounded. But, do you deny the link between your Southern heritage and slavery? You can't simply ignore it as if it never happened because it's inconvenient.

My point is this; there's Blacks in this country. American citizens with the same rights you have. I'm not saying you shouldn't celebrate your heritage, (You should see my mothers side of he family on St. Patrick's Day. Holy hell) but you should be mindful of the slavery issue. <shrug>
The US flag is also associated with slavery, as are African flags, Dutch flags, etc. The US flag is also associated with cruelty to indians, and a plethora of foreign policy disasters over the years.

Nobody's perfect.
Old 06-25-2015, 7:48am   #48
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
I'm not saying your claim is unfounded. But, do you deny the link between your Southern heritage and slavey? You can't simply ignore it as if it never happened because it's inconvenient.

Slavery wasn't the cause for the war or the flag in question. Slavery was a world wide problem for many centuries. My ancestors and the majority didn't own slaves. A few wealthy plantation owners all over the country owned slaves. Those slave ships flew the American flag. There wasn't a CSA ship to ever fly the CSA colors and transport slaves here. Now which flag should really be linked to slavery????

Straight from Abe, himself.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.
Old 06-25-2015, 7:48am   #49
Hoog
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,425 Times in 727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $123317

Hating the south because of slavery is like not wanting to own a C7 solely because of the taillights.

A good read
Hoog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 7:51am   #50
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoog View Post
Hating the south because of slavery is like not wanting to own a C7 solely because of the taillights.

A good read
seems logical to me, the C7 analogy anyway
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 7:51am   #51
Czarvette
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $402582

Neither of those are real.

How do I know?

No patches of spray-canned gray primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post

Czarvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 7:52am   #52
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

The whole damn 'controversy' is nothing but a trumped up bunch of BS to distract the media from covering stories with some real true meaning, ie current events in the Fed.gov So the communists in this regime can do more damage, and not have anyone say a thing about it....it's all THAT damn simple...

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 7:53am   #53
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

I'm not saying I'm right and all of you are wrong. I'm just putting my thoughts out there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 7:54am   #54
Hoog
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,425 Times in 727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $123317

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm right and all of you are wrong. I'm just putting my thoughts out there.
Goes without saying for some of us.
Hoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 7:55am   #55
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Well, at least we aren't letting a crisis go to waste, and thankfully doing things we couldn't do before. I'm sure the 9 dead churchgoers would be proud with what is being done in their names.
Old 06-25-2015, 8:23am   #56
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
I understand and also that you and I have the freedom to do just that. Thanks to too many military service members that suffered and died to provide us the freedom to express things. But the freedom to display anything of Southern heritage is being taken away and that is a direct insult to those in the military that fought, suffered, and died for it.
Old 06-25-2015, 8:30am   #57
Czarvette
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoog View Post

A good read
I disagree with your simile, but the article makes a very good point about the powers -- and dangers -- of social media as a driver of public opinion.

I believe the NRA is studying this turn of events very closely. It's an object lesson in how quickly social media can turn the tide of public opinion and exponentially galvanize a body of people who formerly may have had opinion but were apathetic to action. Social media enabled action without effort on an issue. The horror of the Charleston shootings is a focal point for public reaction against gun violence with the Confederate flag offering a safe, symbolic surrogate to react against.

A key difference between the current kerfluffle about the Confederate flag and gun control is that there is no monied lobby for the Confederate flag, hence no real downside for politicians or corporations to line up with the sudden tidal change of public opinion. On the other hand, the well funded and well organized NRA for several decades has framed the gun control debate with a "the best defense is a good offense" strategy and kept the passion of gun rights defenders alive and in the forefront. Thus, gun rights are defended vigorously by a segment of the population who cares very much about the issue. The passion for gun control has not been fanned in a similar organized way. Therefore gun control has become a "third rail" issue for politicians -- touch it and die (politically). Not so with the Confederate flag. Politicians who were initially reluctant quickly discovered which way the current of public opinion was running and jumped in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Czarvette For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 8:32am   #58
Czarvette
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
I understand and also that you and I have the freedom to do just that. Thanks to too many military service members that suffered and died to provide us the freedom to express things. But the freedom to display anything of Southern heritage is being taken away and that is a direct insult to those in the military that fought, suffered, and died for it.
What right of yours to "display anything of Southern heritage" has been taken away?
Old 06-25-2015, 8:40am   #59
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarvette View Post
What right of yours to "display anything of Southern heritage" has been taken away?
We do living histories at battlefield parks. We can't display a Confederate flag anymore. The gift shops are no longer allowed to sell merchandise with a flag on it. ANY group can have specialty tags made and recv. part of the profit from the state. The SCV was doing this in several states and now are being prohibited.
Old 06-25-2015, 9:01am   #60
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 33,385 Times in 13,465 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
We do living histories at battlefield parks. We can't display a Confederate flag anymore. The gift shops are no longer allowed to sell merchandise with a flag on it. ANY group can have specialty tags made and recv. part of the profit from the state. The SCV was doing this in several states and now are being prohibited.
Just a bit of clarification. The removal of items bearing the flag (confederate/rebel/whatever) is a request by the National Park Service and is (so far) voluntary.

Related news...a news story last night in Houston was about a guy that had a rebel flag flying and it was set on fire by vandals.

The best way to stop an undesired behavior is to make it no longer cost effective to do it. That is the .gov model. "Sure people, you are free to do these things, but we will tax it, remove federal funding, or make you jump through hoops to do it."
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion