Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2018, 9:02am   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 23.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default Fatalities of drunk driving decrease; fatalities of drug-impaired driving increase

More Drivers Killed Under the Influence of Drugs Than Alcohol

A new report found fatally injured drivers are increasingly under the influence of one or more drugs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-c...s-than-alcohol

Some 22.3 percent of fatally injured motorists who were tested for drugs tested positive for marijuana in 2016, a figure that researchers say has "increased substantially" in recent years as states have legalized the drug for recreational or medicinal use, according to a new report.

The finding, in a study released Thursday by the Governors Highway Safety Association, was one of several regarding the growing prevalence of drugs in vehicle fatalities. The report also found that 44 percent of drivers killed in automobile accidents in 2016 who were tested for drugs tested positive for one or more substances – a number that was up 28 percent from 10 years prior. That figure eclipsed the 37.9 percent who were known to have been tested for alcohol and tested positive – a figure that actually fell in the last decade, from 41 percent in 2006.

The report was intended to draw attention to the need to incorporate a drug message into programs that encourage motorists not to drive while impaired. It noted that marijuana was the most commonly found drug. Jim Hedlund, author of the study, says "marijuana use has become more normalized" as states across the country decriminalize the drug.

"If use is up, use by drivers is up," Hedlund says.

Hedlund attributes the decline in alcohol-related deaths to the "broad societal consensus" that drunk driving is wrong. There's a "strong societal consensus. It's [drunk driving] is bad," he says. "Everyone knows it's bad." However, this way of thinking hasn't caught up to drug-impaired driving yet. That's where education comes in.

"That's the next step. Precisely to provide that education," Hedlund says.

The report suggests that some of the strategies used to decrease drunk driving can be applied to prevent people from driving while on drugs. However, several challenges come with that. A driver can consume a vast number of drugs that would be difficult to test for. Additionally, no nationally accepted method exists for testing drug-impaired drivers, and different drugs have different effects on different people.

Among recommendations to reduce drug-impaired driving, the study points to the need to develop impairment-assessment tools, such as oral-fluid devices and marijuana breath-test instruments, to support the drug-impaired-driving prosecution process by increasing law enforcement training, authorizing electronic search warrants for drug tests, and to educate prosecutors and judges on drug-impaired driving.

has no money to buy car insurance
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 9:59am   #2
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

A lot of education needs to be done regarding driving on prescription drugs. The Highway Patrol here does educational programs at the local senior centers. Many seniors falsely believe that if the drug came from a doctor it's okay. Doctors need to do their part in educating their patients, too.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:29pm   #3
StaticCling
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,971 Times in 2,427 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46509956

I see people toking up while driving here all the time, daily occurrence.
StaticCling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 2:35pm   #4
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 23.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I see people toking up while driving here all the time, daily occurrence.
Interesting, as I have not noticed that here... yet.

But if I did see this, I'd probably call in in to the dispatcher with a license plate number and driver description. No different than if I saw someone drinking from a beer/JD bottle while driving.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 8:40am   #5
Scissors
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $366874

I'm all for legalization, but why did they have to start with the most annoying of recreational drugs?
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57am   #6
Defib1961
Barn Stall Owner #23
Barn Raising I
Activity: 0%

Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,031 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $144580

Drunk drivers will drive 110 mph and think they are driving 35. A driver high on weed will think they are driving 110 and be driving 2. Prescription drugs I can buy that but high on pot, I am rather suspicious of that claim.
Defib1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic