Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2017, 11:53am   #21
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,161 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

read a book long ago, about the adventures of a couple who sailed the world in their little sail boat. they had put it on auto steer and gone to bed. they happened to wake up just in time to see a container ship bearing down on them.

maritime rules are that ships under sail have right of way over ships under power. well, that's nice, but it behooves the sail boat to get the hell out of the way of the container ship, right of way or not.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:01pm   #22
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 32.4%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,840 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
read a book long ago, about the adventures of a couple who sailed the world in their little sail boat. they had put it on auto steer and gone to bed. they happened to wake up just in time to see a container ship bearing down on them.

maritime rules are that ships under sail have right of way over ships under power. well, that's nice, but it behooves the sail boat to get the hell out of the way of the container ship, right of way or not.
Something my father taught me when I was learning to drive "Being killed defending your right of way is stupid".

FWIW I,m a long time pleasure boater and I know know the rules, though it appears most boaters do not. I stood a couple watches when in the Navy and waiting to hear the WHOLE story, that is if it ever comes out!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:43pm   #23
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183

As this subject has and will ultimately be talked to death, let's consider the most basic:

https://maritime.college/Boating-Rules.php

Quote:
When power meets power

You must give way to another vessel on your starboard. (right)
If you meet head on, both vessels must turn to starboard. (right)
Really, it doesn't get any simpler.

The Crystal was on Fitzgerald's Right.
Crystal attempted to alter course to Right.

Seems Fitzgerald was at fault.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fasglas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 2:39pm   #24
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.8%

Thanked 7,730 Times in 3,440 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Every article I read and every thread I see on this subject makes me cringe. There is so much incorrect information flying around that it is impossible to address it all.

Quote:
somebody asleep at the wheel.

wouldn't be the first time someone has fallen asleep on duty.
It would take much more than someone falling asleep.

Quote:
by maritime law, the shipping container vessel was in the right, the navy ship was supposed to give way.
It depends on the angle of approach. Was it overtaking? Crossing? Did the cargo ship turn towards?

Yes, the general rule is vessel to starboard is stand-on, but there are many exceptions to that.

Quote:
Gene, the navy ship can out move and out run that shipping vessel.
62 was more than likely cruising at slow speed (<12 kts) at trail shaft, which means 1 of 4 main engines online, 1 shaft driving, and 1 "freewheeling". It is the most efficient way to steam around and what is usually done unless there is a need to exceed 12 knots (which I doubt was happening).

At trail shaft and slow speed, a DDG handles like a 78 Caprice with 4 flat tires... on ice. People keep acting as if a 500+ foot long ship can turn like a Corvette. That is simply not how it works... ESPECIALLY at trail shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
I heard the container ship had no running lights, and so was not spotted by the bridge on our boat, that still don't esplain why radar was not noticed.....but supposedly alone at night in open ocean, I suppose they not watching too good, or worse yet....had it turned off?? or maybe just the screen dimmed??

seems to me a collision alarm would go off before it happened, but with no lights on the scene, they dunno which way to go in a big fat hurry, so to the radar screen to see WTF??

a series of guesses, BUT it comes back to that U turn.....
IF... and is a big IF the cargo ship was dark, it makes all the difference in the world. When a radar contact comes up, the 1st thing you do is verify it. Close to land and in shipping lanes, a false track is a very common thing. At night, that big ship could be completely invisible. It is absolutely amazing how things can disappear on the water. If they had a contact that showed close but no visual, the track was likely ignored or even marked as a false track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasglas View Post
As this subject has and will ultimately be talked to death, let's consider the most basic:

Yea, it is nowhere even close to being that simple. As said, there is WAAAAAAY more to it than that and many many things that complicate it, not the least of which is that if the freighter was in a 10 MINUTE turn to starboard and hit damn near on the beam, it stands to reason that if it simply maintained it's original course, it would have passed astern with plenty of real estate to spare.

If 62 was moving at 12 kts (normal steaming) and the freighter made it approximately 90 degrees through it's turn (ASSumption) before hitting on the beam, it would have passed almost a mile astern had it simply gone straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
A whole lot of WTF going on. I'll wait for more verified facts before voicing an opinion.
This. 100% THIS.

If I had to guess, 62 saw the track of the freighter and immediately calculated CPA (closest point of approach) as you do with just about every track that will get even close. With the information given about the starboard turn, they would have seen 2k+ yards in a crossing situation, deemed it safe, and moved on to something else. They had no reasonable expectation that the freighter would essentially turn into them.

If the freighter claims that they tried to avoid and had 10 minutes to make a turn before collision, were calls made over bridge to bridge? Did they sound danger? What did they do other than turn? The easiest way to avoid a collision if you have 10 minutes is to pick up the radio and ask the other guy what he is doing. I've made more of those calls in my life than I can even begin to count. It's really not that hard. There are at least 3 B2B radios being monitored at any given time to hear that call. IF 62 did essentially drive straight in front of them, the absolute LAST thing that they should have done was turn starboard. Turn to port, pass astern, and be done. Even a slight speed change would have avoided the collision. None of what is being said makes any sense.

I am not at all saying that 62 was not at fault. They may very well have f**ked up colossally but to attempt to say that as a fact as so many people (most of which have never even been on a ship, much less navigated in that environment) are doing with the information currently available is absolutely ridiculous.

RedLS1GTO - USN 2nd Fleet shiphandler of the year 2006
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 5:12pm   #25
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III

"Hey! I'm sailin' here. YOU turn away or stop."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fasglas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 5:50pm   #26
OddBall
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.0%

Thanked 10,517 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post

This. 100% THIS.

If I had to guess, 62 saw the track of the freighter and immediately calculated CPA (closest point of approach) as you do with just about every track that will get even close. With the information given about the starboard turn, they would have seen 2k+ yards in a crossing situation, deemed it safe, and moved on to something else. They had no reasonable expectation that the freighter would essentially turn into them.

If the freighter claims that they tried to avoid and had 10 minutes to make a turn before collision, were calls made over bridge to bridge? Did they sound danger? What did they do other than turn? The easiest way to avoid a collision if you have 10 minutes is to pick up the radio and ask the other guy what he is doing. I've made more of those calls in my life than I can even begin to count. It's really not that hard. There are at least 3 B2B radios being monitored at any given time to hear that call. IF 62 did essentially drive straight in front of them, the absolute LAST thing that they should have done was turn starboard. Turn to port, pass astern, and be done. Even a slight speed change would have avoided the collision. None of what is being said makes any sense.

I am not at all saying that 62 was not at fault. They may very well have f**ked up colossally but to attempt to say that as a fact as so many people (most of which have never even been on a ship, much less navigated in that environment) are doing with the information currently available is absolutely ridiculous.

RedLS1GTO - USN 2nd Fleet shiphandler of the year 2006

Crystal was known to be making or had made a U turn, and they had scrapings on the port side of their bow as well as damage directly to the bow.

Just a guess, but I'm going to throw this out there, even without all facts about the incident in: The Crystal had passed well in front of the Fitzgerald from Fitzgerald's port to starboard and then made the U turn. Either Coming out of the maneuver or still in it, it had come up from the aft starboard of the Fitzgerald and was bearing down on it at such an angle and speed that the Crystal captain tried to reduce his speed and steer even harder to starboard. After the collision he continued on for an hour trying to figure out what his story was going to be. As far as running dark, I just don't know. I don't see why he would do that.

Just a guess.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 6:01pm   #27
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II

an intentional attack with a container ship?
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 6:08pm   #28
OddBall
A Real Barner

Quote:
Don't get Gene started
Old 06-27-2017, 6:10pm   #29
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
Don't get Gene started
he wakes up, sips his coffee, and he's off.....takes no priming at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 6:18pm   #30
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 88.8%

Thanked 41,264 Times in 17,158 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
When you were a kid, did you ever imagine a scenario where people would fly airplanes into buildings.....on purpose? I'm still with Gene on this.....it wuz da Mooslims.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 8:08pm   #31
OddBall
A Real Barner

Any other uniformed hypothesis? This is VB you know; we are all brain surgeons and double-naught spy's that are sixth grade graduates.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:18pm   #32
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 88.8%

Thanked 41,264 Times in 17,158 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
5th grade here thank you very much.
Me too! But I read at a sixth grade level, so there.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19pm   #33
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Sure, why not? A fine example of speed, manuverability, and stealthiness.

Old 06-28-2017, 1:53am   #34
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Me too! But I read at a sixth grade level, so there.
I have a fifth grade education, but I have the intelligence of a sixth grader.

Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 6:14am   #35
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Sure, why not? A fine example of speed, manuverability, and stealthiness.

You of course say that sarcastically but in reality it may not be that crazy, especially if it was something done out of opportunity.

I can't imagine someone hopping on a Group 3 vessel and setting out with the intent to ram a US Navy ship but if they found themselves in close proximity... it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

As I said before, it is incredible how invisible a ship can become at night. Doing "light checks", I have been less than 200 yards from a 509' long ship without even the slightest visible sign of it.

If you have a radar saying 1 thing and your eyes saying another, human nature tends to favor the eyes. You could have a big flashing contact on the screen but if you look out and see absolutely nothing on that vector, it is certainly not implausible to believe that they simply chose to believe their eyes over the screen. As I said previously, false contacts occur on a regular basis.

Possible? Absolutely.
Likely? Eh...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 7:59am   #36
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 8.6%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
You of course say that sarcastically but in reality it may not be that crazy, especially if it was something done out of opportunity.

I can't imagine someone hopping on a Group 3 vessel and setting out with the intent to ram a US Navy ship but if they found themselves in close proximity... it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

As I said before, it is incredible how invisible a ship can become at night. Doing "light checks", I have been less than 200 yards from a 509' long ship without even the slightest visible sign of it.

If you have a radar saying 1 thing and your eyes saying another, human nature tends to favor the eyes. You could have a big flashing contact on the screen but if you look out and see absolutely nothing on that vector, it is certainly not implausible to believe that they simply chose to believe their eyes over the screen. As I said previously, false contacts occur on a regular basis.

Possible? Absolutely.
Likely? Eh...
OK, lets go with the above, what I want to know is how you can have a false positive on a damn RADAR, the thing shoots out a signal and there has to be something there for it to reflect off of, nothing there and so no bounce....but IF something IS there, it has to reflect the signal.....and be seen....

but to have something there, especially a HUGE ship....and NOT reflect??, but I have to ASSume the radar was seeing other boats along the way or it would have been noticed and fixed.....would have to assume a sudden last second failure.....and does the warning bell sound off the radar or a secondary information source?, like another radar of maybe lesser power???

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01am   #37
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
OK, lets go with the above, what I want to know is how you can have a false positive on a damn RADAR, the thing shoots out a signal and there has to be something there for it to reflect off of, nothing there and so no bounce....but IF something IS there, it has to reflect the signal.....and be seen....

but to have something there, especially a HUGE ship....and NOT reflect??, but I have to ASSume the radar was seeing other boats along the way or it would have been noticed and fixed.....would have to assume a sudden last second failure.....and does the warning bell sound off the radar or a secondary information source?, like another radar of maybe lesser power???

Look at it more as a gain issue than a non-return. Many things send back radar returns in the ocean, waves, weather, even birds. On these systems, size does not necessarily convert to a different size track. A small sail boat on the screen will look just about the same as this big group 3. When a track pops up, it is ASSumed to be a valid track until it is verified that it is not. Usually these tracks pop up as something unrealistic and are easy to spot. An example is an 80 knot contact changing course every few seconds. Obvious false track... delete. The problem with this that MAY have come into play here is that once a track is deleted, it does not show up again (unless you make it show up again).

This is ENTIRELY speculation. IF... and it is a big IF... this ship was running dark it is possible that someone actually deleted the track entirely when it did not show up visually. If that happened, no matter how close it got, it never showed back up on radar and would not have triggered alarms. Personally, I wouldn't ever delete a track that "made sense", as in a reasonable course and speed, but I could absolutely see it happening.

Yes, there are multiple radars. The other that should have seen something is the AN/SPY-1D(V) (the primary fighting radar). CIC is usually concentrating on things other than navigation. That's the bridge's job. However, any TAO worth a sh*t should have at least asked the question when a track started getting close. Even if a track is "deleted" from the bridge, it will still show in combat. How/why they either missed it or didn't think it was worth mentioning, I can't explain with the information that we have.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 9:22pm   #38
Scissors
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $366874

Quote:

It does, but maritime rules aren't so clear. Sailing vessels are only stand-on vessels over certain motorized vessels. When another vessel is limited in its ability to maneuver, or is not under command, it becomes the stand-on vessel. Of course, several situations exist where both vessels are stand-on and neither are give-way. That's why, in the end, it becomes every captain's responsibility to avoid a collision. But, let's face it, physics always wins.
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 9:27pm   #39
Scissors
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $366874

Quote:

Not sure of the exact angles in this case, but if Vessel A is approaching starboard and abeam of Vessel B, then both vessels must give way. If a vessel to starboard is sufficiently aft, then you are the stand-on vessel and they are the give-way vessel (this appears initially to be the case based on pictures I've seen of the damage).

But throw in "limited maneuverability" and "not under command" and things get thornier.

Given the information available thus far, it appears that both were at fault and both should have given way.
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic