Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 7:34pm   #1
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default What's happened to John McCain ?

The angry man puzzles pundits and Arizonans

What's happened to John McCain? The angry man puzzles pundits and Arizonans - Winnipeg Free Press

WASHINGTON - Three years ago, John McCain was among the most respected senators on Capitol Hill, a moderate lawmaker highly regarded by both Republicans and Democrats for the courage of his convictions, his reasoned stances on hot-button issues and his skills at bridging partisan divides.

Now the man once celebrated as a honourable war hero is being widely assailed as an angry, unprincipled crank who has placed himself on the wrong side of a historic civil rights battle.

Vanity Fair magazine referred to him as a "myopic mummy" on Monday.

Others have called him much worse in the two days since the U.S. Senate repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the controversial policy that banned gays and lesbians from openly serving in the military.

Beyond the ridicule, McCain's often vitriolic opposition to the repeal is mystifying given the Vietnam veteran supported ending the ban four years ago as long as military commanders wanted it lifted. In 2010, they did.

He didn't, despite public stands against the policy by his wife and daughter.

"Today's a very sad day," he said when the repeal passed handily over the weekend, thanks in part to votes from several Republican senators.

And then he continued on a perplexing tangent.

"The commandant of the United States Marine Corps says when your life hangs on the line, you don't want anything distracting .... I don't want to permit that opportunity to happen and I'll tell you why.
You go up to Bethesda Naval Hospital, Marines are up there with no legs, none.
You've got Marines at Walter Reed with no limbs."

The man who ran for president two years ago also threw a couple of arm-waving, high-octane tantrums as the Senate debate unfolded, noisily and angrily berating Sen. Joe Lieberman, his old friend and the leading champion of the repeal, and Dick Durbin, the Senate's Democratic whip.

Lieberman's response was to merely smile while Durbin looked shell-shocked, only to have McCain return a moment later to resume the hectoring.

So what's eating John McCain ?

That's become one of the most frequently asked questions in the corridors of power on Capitol Hill, not to mention in his home state of Arizona.

"It's what most people in Arizona would like to know," Terence Ball, a political science professor at Arizona State University, said Monday.

"He's become increasingly irascible in the last couple of years.
He was somewhat unhinged after his defeat to Obama, and then he ran against a primary challenger for his Senate seat who was very right wing.
It seems to have turned him in some way.
It would probably take a psychiatrist to unravel it completely."

It's not just McCain's opposition to the Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal that is eating away at his legacy as a principled legislator.

It began, some suggest, in the summer of 2008, when the fiercely competitive McCain _ keen on trouncing Obama _ selected the socially conservative Sarah Palin as his running mate in a move regarded by many of his fellow moderates as a cynical play to appeal to the neo-conservative fringes of the Republican base.

Since he lost to Obama, McCain has been seemingly bent on revenge, routinely voting against Democratic measures that he once fully supported.

Chief among them is the so-called DREAM Act, which would allow the children of illegal immigrants to gain U.S. citizenship by finishing college or serving in the military _ a bill he once sponsored.

Some pundits can't make sense of it, including Time magazine's Joe Klein, who pointed out recently that, in regards to DREAM, McCain "recently won re-election and doesn't have to pretend to be a troglodyte anymore."

Others suggest McCain isn't pretending to be anything: he's driven by revenge, not principle.

"A decade ago, his antipathy toward President George W. Bush led him to seek common cause with Democrats to thwart a Republican president," the Washington Post's Dana Milbank wrote over the weekend.

"Now his antipathy toward President Obama has made him a leading Republican hardliner."

But Ball said there are other theories floating around in Arizona.

"There are some people who actually know him personally, highly placed Republicans, who think he may literally be unhinged, that he has post-traumatic stress disorder from his years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam and somehow the past two years have sort of reignited it," Ball said.

"That would serve to explain some of his strange behaviour, because he's an increasingly strange man."

Others are less sympathetic.

McCain's "public fall has been spectacular," Time's Klein wrote.

"He's a bitter man now, who can barely tolerate the fact that he lost to Barack Obama," Klein opined.

"But he lost for an obvious reason: his campaign proved him to be puerile and feckless, a politician who panicked when the heat was on during the financial collapse, a trigger-happy gambler who chose an incompetent for his vice-president.

He has made quite a show ever since of demonstrating his petulance and lack of grace."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/#40757098
Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 7:41pm   #2
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,566 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Always glad to see a RINO implode.....next news topic....???

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 7:48pm   #3
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Always glad to see a RINO implode.....next news topic....???

I think Palin ripped his man pants off of 'em and she won't give 'em back ....
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49pm   #4
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,566 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
I think Palin ripped his man pants off of 'em and she won't give 'em back ....
Wish it was ME.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 8:08am   #5
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Wish it was ME.....
You have to make a donation to SarahPAC first ... you'll pay her to take your pants and pay her to give'em back ...

Old 12-21-2010, 8:29am   #6
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
Wish it was ME.....
Just as long as she doesn't talk ...
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 8:31am   #7
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
The angry man puzzles pundits and Arizonans

What's happened to John McCain? The angry man puzzles pundits and Arizonans - Winnipeg Free Press

WASHINGTON - Three years ago, John McCain was among the most respected senators on Capitol Hill, a moderate lawmaker highly regarded by both Republicans and Democrats for the courage of his convictions, his reasoned stances on hot-button issues and his skills at bridging partisan divides.

Now the man once celebrated as a honourable war hero is being widely assailed as an angry, unprincipled crank who has placed himself on the wrong side of a historic civil rights battle.

Vanity Fair magazine referred to him as a "myopic mummy" on Monday.

Others have called him much worse in the two days since the U.S. Senate repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the controversial policy that banned gays and lesbians from openly serving in the military.

Beyond the ridicule, McCain's often vitriolic opposition to the repeal is mystifying given the Vietnam veteran supported ending the ban four years ago as long as military commanders wanted it lifted. In 2010, they did.

He didn't, despite public stands against the policy by his wife and daughter.

"Today's a very sad day," he said when the repeal passed handily over the weekend, thanks in part to votes from several Republican senators.

And then he continued on a perplexing tangent.

"The commandant of the United States Marine Corps says when your life hangs on the line, you don't want anything distracting .... I don't want to permit that opportunity to happen and I'll tell you why.
You go up to Bethesda Naval Hospital, Marines are up there with no legs, none.
You've got Marines at Walter Reed with no limbs."

The man who ran for president two years ago also threw a couple of arm-waving, high-octane tantrums as the Senate debate unfolded, noisily and angrily berating Sen. Joe Lieberman, his old friend and the leading champion of the repeal, and Dick Durbin, the Senate's Democratic whip.

Lieberman's response was to merely smile while Durbin looked shell-shocked, only to have McCain return a moment later to resume the hectoring.

So what's eating John McCain ?

That's become one of the most frequently asked questions in the corridors of power on Capitol Hill, not to mention in his home state of Arizona.

"It's what most people in Arizona would like to know," Terence Ball, a political science professor at Arizona State University, said Monday.

"He's become increasingly irascible in the last couple of years.
He was somewhat unhinged after his defeat to Obama, and then he ran against a primary challenger for his Senate seat who was very right wing.
It seems to have turned him in some way.
It would probably take a psychiatrist to unravel it completely."

It's not just McCain's opposition to the Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal that is eating away at his legacy as a principled legislator.

It began, some suggest, in the summer of 2008, when the fiercely competitive McCain _ keen on trouncing Obama _ selected the socially conservative Sarah Palin as his running mate in a move regarded by many of his fellow moderates as a cynical play to appeal to the neo-conservative fringes of the Republican base.

Since he lost to Obama, McCain has been seemingly bent on revenge, routinely voting against Democratic measures that he once fully supported.

Chief among them is the so-called DREAM Act, which would allow the children of illegal immigrants to gain U.S. citizenship by finishing college or serving in the military _ a bill he once sponsored.

Some pundits can't make sense of it, including Time magazine's Joe Klein, who pointed out recently that, in regards to DREAM, McCain "recently won re-election and doesn't have to pretend to be a troglodyte anymore."

Others suggest McCain isn't pretending to be anything: he's driven by revenge, not principle.

"A decade ago, his antipathy toward President George W. Bush led him to seek common cause with Democrats to thwart a Republican president," the Washington Post's Dana Milbank wrote over the weekend.

"Now his antipathy toward President Obama has made him a leading Republican hardliner."

But Ball said there are other theories floating around in Arizona.

"There are some people who actually know him personally, highly placed Republicans, who think he may literally be unhinged, that he has post-traumatic stress disorder from his years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam and somehow the past two years have sort of reignited it," Ball said.

"That would serve to explain some of his strange behaviour, because he's an increasingly strange man."

Others are less sympathetic.

McCain's "public fall has been spectacular," Time's Klein wrote.

"He's a bitter man now, who can barely tolerate the fact that he lost to Barack Obama," Klein opined.

"But he lost for an obvious reason: his campaign proved him to be puerile and feckless, a politician who panicked when the heat was on during the financial collapse, a trigger-happy gambler who chose an incompetent for his vice-president.

He has made quite a show ever since of demonstrating his petulance and lack of grace."

Hardball with Chris Matthews

I really have a lot of respect John, but he's making it hard to continue with that respect. He turned into a typical politician lair.

It's really sad, because he didn't have to.
Old 12-21-2010, 6:20pm   #8
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

the realization that he blew a great chance by picking Palin as veep is starting to take a toll on him.
Old 12-22-2010, 8:03am   #9
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
the realization that he blew a great chance by picking Palin as veep is starting to take a toll on him.
The problem is, EVERYONE knows that, but none of the (Rs) has the stones to admit the truth!

The truth is, she as stupid as a box of rocks, I’d bet NO ONE on this Forum who back her in public would allow she to manage anything they own personally.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50am   #10
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Wait a Dem claiming someone doesn't want to admit the truth? Seriously?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

For someone so stupid she's doing quite well financially.
But hey, you're so more vastly educated and experienced I'm sure you pull down way more than her, right?

Depends on what she's going to manage.
My finances? Nope. Then again, would you let Howard Dean, John Kerry or Hairy Reid manage yours?

How you use your Vote, is your business.

Actually; I highly encourage you and as many of your lemmings as possible,to practice what you preach and stick with Palin all the way to the End!

BTW; don’t expect to get any help from McCain; he’s busy trying to plug that huge orifice he once called an AZZ!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:55am   #11
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
How you use your Vote, is your business.

Actually; I highly encourage you and as many of your lemmings as possible,to practice what you preach and stick with Palin all the way to the End!

BTW; don’t expect to get any help from McCain; he’s busy trying to that huge orifice he once called an AZZ!
Palin is the same 'ol bitter 'ol hag as the (R) McKookdoms ... only in a slutty secretary body ..

Old 12-22-2010, 12:08pm   #12
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
The more you protest her, the more you show your secret love for her. It's ok, just admit it. Come out of the closet.
I love her also … as only as I could!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11pm   #13
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
I love her also … as only as I could!
I wanna be ganged-up on by the Palin mother and daughter team ...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12pm   #14
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
You calling me a lemming. The irony is so deep in here I need a ladder to climb to safety.

If I have to choose between Palin and Obama, you're durn right I won't chose the POS currently disgracing the Oval Office right now.

However, I hope she doesn't run and instead stays on the side lines to get all you libs riled up and your panties in wad.

Now who's the one focused on peoples butts. Oh wait, it's an old white guy so that's ok. You secretly have a thing for old white dudes don't ya?
It’s Your Vote, it’s your Prerogative!

There was once a time you could dictate what Americans got to Vote and what Americans didn’t … that also is GONE!

See the pattern … or do you need a Map?
Old 12-22-2010, 2:30pm   #15
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Maybe they'd do us a favor and take you moose hunting and make you wear an antler hat.
As everyone could see … you’ll have at least three shots to duck.
Old 12-22-2010, 2:34pm   #16
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Indeed.

Incorrect. But hey, you keep parroting that . It only proves how big of a fool you are when you spout it.

By repeatedly bring up I try to put down people of different races, religions, sex, etc you are only showing how big of a racist, anti-religious, sexist, etc you are Chas.

Yea I know your patter of crap posts Chas. It's really easy to follow. I don't even need a GPS with bad software to figure it out.

It’s Denial east of Africa
Old 12-22-2010, 2:41pm   #17
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Another brilliant Chas response showing he's been owned.
Yep; you’re an Forum Hero

and this has what to do with McCain?

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion