User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45pm   #1
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320
Wink Facebook Zuckerberg; Person of the Year

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Is Time's Person of the Year - Web Services Web 20 and SOA - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been named Time’s Person of the Year, following other tech magnates such as Andy Grove, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos.
Time magazine clicked “Like” on Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, naming him its 2010 Person of the Year. Previous tech luminaries to make that list include Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, former Intel CEO Andy Grove, and Microsoft magnate Bill Gates, who shared the honor with his wife Melinda and U2 singer Bono.

“Facebook has merged with the social fabric of American life, and not just American but human life: nearly half of all Americans have a Facebook account, but 70 percent of Facebook users live outside the U.S.,” reads Time’s Dec. 15 article. “We have entered the Facebook age, and Mark Zuckerberg is the man who brought us here.”

The article also describes Zuckerberg as possessing “weapons-grade mental hardware” and self-control “so total that he drives an Acura when he could afford a Bentley.” The 26-year-old Facebook CEO is also the second-youngest Person of the Year, following Charles Lindbergh in 1927.
Even before Time’s announcement, Zuckerberg was well on his way to becoming a cultural icon of sorts. Earlier this year, David Fincher’s film “The Social Network” portrayed him as a Machiavellian figure, backstabbing friends on his way to making Facebook an Internet powerhouse. Written by Aaron Sorkin of “West Wing” fame, who apparently based much of the script on Ben Mezrich’s book “The Accidental Billionaires,” the film was vigorously derided as fiction by Zuckerberg and his company spokespeople.

Days before the film’s release, Zuckerberg donated $100 million to help improve public schools in Newark, N.J. Some critics claimed the gift was timed to blunt any bad publicity from his portrayal onscreen.

Facebook has grown more than 60 percent in the past year, according to research firm Hitwise, and now boasts more than 550 million users. U.S. Web users spent 41.1 million minutes on Facebook in August, according to comScore, versus 39.8 million minutes on all of Google’s various Websites. Facebook’s “Like” button, along with Facebook Connect, have helped extend the Website’s reach beyond its walled garden.

Facebook’s rise as the world’s premiere social network, though, has come with periodic privacy and security concerns. User uproar over the company’s privacy policies led to calls for a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigation, which in turn compelled Facebook to introduce another layer of privacy controls in October. Its Application Settings dashboard now allows users to view which applications have access to their personal data.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:47pm   #2
Exotix
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0

Palin made 'em a lot of money ...
Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:59pm   #3
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Zuckerturd can get bent.

That's such a number it isn't funny.
So what's the REAL number Einstein
Old 12-15-2010, 1:15pm   #4
ChasC5
Banned

Smile

Quote:
I have no idea. However to take their 550 million at face value is flat out stupid.

Here's a question for ya chief, do you REALLY think there are 550 million different people using Facebook?

There couldn't be the remote possibility of people having multiple accounts?
Of course … because you said so.

Who can argue with an expert on everything?
Old 12-15-2010, 3:38pm   #5
ChasC5
Banned

Talking

Quote:
So your saying to take those numbers at face value with no questioning of them what so ever?

Your false assertion = fail.

Actually there are ways and methods on measuring that, but based on what I already know; 550 Million is easily achievable considering Facebook accounts are used for individuals and Corporations Nationally and Internationally.

I’ll give you fair warning, you’re trading in some deep waters of knowledge, better bring your Life Preserver.
Old 12-15-2010, 4:21pm   #6
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Oh please enlighten me how one could very, with pin-point accuracy, the number of users on Facebook w/out having access to their data.

So you admit there are the possibility for double, triple (and more) accounts by a single person, thus artificially inflating the number?

Go warn a brother (let's see if you get that joke). I don't need it.
Hay smart guy, tell me how many CF, DC and Vette Barn accounts I have.
Old 12-15-2010, 7:43pm   #7
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
I can't. So you admit you can't verify the 550 million number is accurate.

Thanks for proving my point.
You are one weird dude. You protest that the numbers are wrong, buy every one else has to prove their statements.
Old 12-15-2010, 8:06pm   #8
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
You protest that the numbers are wrong, buy every one else has to prove their statements.
I guess anyone that understands basic math can spot there must be an inaccuracy somewhere within that article.

Less than 50% of US Population have FB accounts. (how much less - not defined).

Current US population as defined here = 311 million

70% of all FB accounts are NOT in US

That leaves 30% of the stated "more than" 550 million (also not clearly defined), which equals "at least" 165 million users in the US, which is considerably more than half the US population.

Yet the article also clearly states "nearly half".

So which percentage and/or claim stated to us all within that writing is wrong? One of them must be.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 9:00pm   #9
ChasC5
Banned

Y2k

I think you're forgetting the business community and other social networks who also use FB. Your assumption is for individual accounts. And individual can have multiple FB type accounts.

Example; almost all my clients you FB for marketing. There are multiple business units within the organization that have FB accounts. Within the accounts there are individuals sales and marketing associates who FB accounts. The only reason why I'm saying this is because I know it to be a fact.

But I'm happy it concede if no one wants to believe it, they don't have to.
Old 12-15-2010, 9:06pm   #10
Kneel 8250
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $102780

Quote:
Chas Mate. Fair dinkum. You know that I aint the sharpest tool in the shed but there is NO WAY I would ever make the claim that I have multiple accounts on Forums.

Quote:
Y2k

I think you're forgetting the business community and other social networks who also use FB. Your assumption is for individual accounts. And individual can have multiple FB type accounts.

Example; almost all my clients you FB for marketing. There are multiple business units within the organization that have FB accounts. Within the accounts there are individuals sales and marketing associates who FB accounts. The only reason why I'm saying this is because I know it to be a fact.

But I'm happy it concede if no one wants to believe it, they don't have to.
Here you are arguing TxAg's point for him.
Seriously mate you are a lot smarter than that so are you OK??????
Kneel 8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 9:06pm   #11
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Y2k

I think you're forgetting the business community and other social networks who also use FB. Your assumption is for individual accounts.
My "assumptions" were based on the numbers quoted in the original post.
Nothing more, nothing less. I don't see the term "users" differentiating between user type or classification in any of those stats.

A user is simply a user of that product, be it a person, a business, or even a Gov't.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 9:08pm   #12
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Yes I claim the numbers are not accurate. I have valid arguments as to why.

You seem to claim the numbers are valid but have no valid arguments as to why.

Come on super college man, you mean you didn't grasp that?
Ever here of a many-to-many relationship. Look it up, it's a common Database term. Once you do a little studying, maybe you'll begin to understand.

Goodnight, enjoy
Old 12-15-2010, 9:12pm   #13
Tinkerbell in Texas
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5233

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel 8250 View Post
Chas Mate. Fair dinkum. You know that I aint the sharpest tool in the shed but there is NO WAY I would ever make the claim that I have multiple accounts on Forums.

Here you are arguing TxAg's point for him.
Seriously mate you are a lot smarter than that so are you OK??????
and to think, Chas, that you posted that in a forum that is KNOWN to be frequented by the mods from CF.
Not very smart....for a college educated man.
Seriously, are you ok?
Tinkerbell in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 9:22pm   #14
Tinkerbell in Texas
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5233

Quote:
Tinkerbell in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 8:29am   #15
ChasC5
Banned

My apologies to everyone; I didn't know there were so many on this Forum who where Enterprise Architects and have designed, developed and deployed J2EE Enterprise Web Applications. Silly me, I'll just sit back a listen to the real experts strut their stuff. If I ever get stuck, I'll make sure I consult with the experts first, Tinkerbell and AxAg. With handles like that, they shouldn't have any problem convincing Venture capitalist to invest in their Enterprise expertise. I expect to see you two among the SNP-500 with a year.

BTW, have anyone here noticed more and more commercials showing the FB symbol? How can companies with over 10k employees with marketing ans sales organization totaling 1 to 2k use a single FB account, yet directly target Millions of leads? I'm sure AxTg and his assistant Tinkerbell will have the all the technical answers four you ... so ask them to map it out for you. Hell, I'm sure they will only charge you a modest fee for their sharing their vast knowledge on everything and anything.

Take it away know-it-alls
Old 12-16-2010, 8:34am   #16
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell in Texas View Post
and to think, Chas, that you posted that in a forum that is KNOWN to be frequented by the mods from CF.
Not very smart....for a college educated man.
Seriously, are you ok?
You think I don't know that ...

There's no law again anyone or everyone in our offices to get their own personal forum account. If they login and walk away from their office or just happen to have like passwords ... well then that's their personal problem ... not yours.

Of course you can always call Homeland Security and start an official investigation.
Old 12-16-2010, 9:34am   #17
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Awww did widdle Chas get his feelings hurt? You still haven't shown any proof to refute my assertion of not taking the 550 million number at face value. All you can do is stroke your "ego" about your eduction, your experience and anything else. But that doesn't change the fact you don't have a dang bit of proof to prove me wrong. In face all you've done is help prove my point.

So you go back to writing your J2EE (personally I think Java sucks) enterprise applications. We wouldn't want more people to get lost thanks to the software on their GPS screwing the pooch.

FYI, since you don't know what I do for a living (cause I don't feel the need to talk about it) you sure are making a lot of assumptions of what I do and don't know. And, unlike you, I don't claim to know everything. I just question people like you who throw their ego around like Fat Albert throws around his lard butt and belly.
On the contrary; I showed this to the crew here in the office on the 55” in the conference room and we all had a really good Hi-Def chuckle.

Keep-em coming, you're a legion, you help bring joy to the workplace.

also ... a person who spends as much time as you do on Forums saying J2EE Sucks ... now that's classic. Someone here almost lost their breakfast on that one.
Old 12-16-2010, 9:50am   #18
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Way to get work done Chas. I guess you really are living up to your "I'm a director I don't work" mentality. Bravo.

You might want to get a new office if your conference room is only 55" wide/long.

I find it hard to see how one person can be a legion.

Pot meet kettle. Since you sure spend a lot of time on the forums too. And you think J2EE is the best there is? Your logic = fail. If you and your "teams" can't see that then I suggest you all go retake your college logic courses.
J2EE isn't the best, it's what the customer required ... get it? Since they have to interface with other J2EE Applications
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57pm   #19
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Oh I get having to deal with using crappy technology because that's what the customer demands/needs.

But you didn't say that now did you? You just started throwing out technology then got offended when I stated my OPINION that Java sucks. If you like it, more power to ya. Use the right (and sometimes necessary) tool for the job.

So are you a big Java fan or would you rather work with something else?
If you knew how stupid you sound (write), you’d probably STFU, but obviously you don’t know. I don’t exactly like Microsoft Windows, but that doesn’t stop me from developing Windows Applications per my customer specifications, to afford me and my family and employees the lifestyle we're accustomed to being in.

We can’t wait to see your next words of technological wisdom?

We’re expecting to see your mug n the next cover of CIO Magazine.

Let me guess, you've already been on it dozens of times.
Old 12-16-2010, 6:57pm   #20
ChasC5
Banned

Can anyone guess who I am?

PROVE IT !

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion