Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2024, 5:39pm   #21
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 4.0%

Thanked 11,501 Times in 5,025 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
You would literally pull the trigger on a firearm that you did not either load or intentionally clear? I don't even take an arm from someone when I don't know the status. Clear it while I watch, and then I'll clear it again.

His lackadaisical attitude on safety as the manager of the set could be easily seen as criminal.
He is just a dumbass actor. The armorer is the one responsible for the safety of the operation. What you are asking me would be a normal firearm handling situation of which I completely agree.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 5:45pm   #22
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Why are you using a gun grabber style talking point?

The ultimate responsibility rests with the one who pulls the trigger

PERIOD
A gun grabber talking point? You are full of shit. Actors point and shoot weapons with regularity with this type of incident being rare. I guess he shouldn't have gotten a bargain basement armorer. I would imagine everyone from John Wayne to Clint Eastwood had an armorer take care of the weapons to make sure they are safe. They are after all a prop.
Old 02-24-2024, 5:49pm   #23
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,456 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

There are clearly multiple people that have negligence here, so someone, somewhere, is going to have to assess comparative negligence and how that factors into both the civil and criminal sides of this case.

Baldwin's liability seems to be, I was just horsing around, assumed the gun wasn't loaded with live ammo, and shot that woman. So some kind of manslaughter case, just as if it was someone showing their barbecue gun off and accidentally shot someone else because they thought the gun was unloaded.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 6:26pm   #24
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
There are clearly multiple people that have negligence here, so someone, somewhere, is going to have to assess comparative negligence and how that factors into both the civil and criminal sides of this case.

Baldwin's liability seems to be, I was just horsing around, assumed the gun wasn't loaded with live ammo, and shot that woman. So some kind of manslaughter case, just as if it was someone showing their barbecue gun off and accidentally shot someone else because they thought the gun was unloaded.
That is the point I was trying to make. You are supposed to have professionals set you up with that stuff and make sure firearms aren't hot. Not even sure why they are using real firearms. But definitely there was negligence. Never should have been live ammo on the set. Something he found out a little too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 10:17am   #25
Unsuspicious
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 1,848 Times in 998 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Unsuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unsuspicious For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 10:49am   #26
Wathen1955
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.9%

Thanked 5,600 Times in 1,991 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1524159

Yes the armorer was found guilty, but the big questions is why would they hire a person like this instead of a professional? She's what in her mid 20"s? Baldwin trying to save $$$ on his movie set by hiring incompetent staff?
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:59am   #27
Unsuspicious
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 1,848 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wathen1955 View Post
Yes the armorer was found guilty, but the big questions is why would they hire a person like this instead of a professional? She's what in her mid 20"s? Baldwin trying to save $$$ on his movie set by hiring incompetent staff?
I think it was a nepotism hire or something like that
Unsuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:11am   #28
Swany00
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 19.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsuspicious View Post
I think it was a nepotism hire or something like that
yup, daddy was a big wig in the acting community.

baldwin still pulled the trigger, he's guilty
Swany00 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swany00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 11:21am   #29
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,685 Times in 13,643 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
yup, daddy was a big wig in the acting community.

baldwin still pulled the trigger, he's guilty
They have been careful to say "Baldwin was holding the gun when it discharged".

What a great precedent for a murder defense.

"Your honor, my client did not shoot the store owner. He was simply holding the gun with his finger on the trigger when it discharged. Obviously it is the fault of the person that handled the gun before it was given to the person that gave it to my client".
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 11:25am   #30
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camfrk View Post
A gun grabber talking point? You are full of shit. Actors point and shoot weapons with regularity with this type of incident being rare. I guess he shouldn't have gotten a bargain basement armorer. I would imagine everyone from John Wayne to Clint Eastwood had an armorer take care of the weapons to make sure they are safe. They are after all a prop.
100%

Somehow I doubt that there is an actor anywhere that personally loads and clears and verifies every round in prop gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
The GOLDEN RULE of firearm safety is to ALWAYS check the firearm to verify its loaded/unloaded status and to NEVER point it at ANYTHING you do not intend to shoot.
I don't disagree with this... however, as true as that may be and as much idealism as you want to put behind it, a movie set is different than your buddy handing you a gun to look at.

You think that every actor that fired a round in Saving Private Ryan verified each round and cleared it before the shot? Come on guys. I'm as much of an advocate for firearms and firearm safety as you will ever find. I was a small arms instructor in the military for years. As for Saving Private Ryan, I can assure you they did not. A friend of mine was "on the beach" for that opening scene. He has talked about it many times. They handed him a gun and said shoot it over there. He did. They handed him another one. He did again. Funny story, he actually dies 3 times in that movie and fought on both sides.

Don't point it at anything? Contrary to all training that has ever happened, that's exactly what happens in movies. They point them at people and pull the trigger.

It's safe to say that most actors are not firearms proficient and don't have much, if any training. That is why the process of ensuring safe weapons should be incredibly robust. It is the singular exception that I can think of where realistically the responsibility falls beyond the person holding it.

I don't blame Baldwin the actor. I 100% blame Baldwin the producer who was beyond negligent in ensuring that protocols were in place and being followed to ensure safe weapons on set.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 11:30am   #31
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,661 Times in 3,766 Posts

Not buying it. Real guns mean using real safety measures, NO SHORTCUTS.

I Hope you are not a gun owner. Gun safety, like justice, is NOT SELECTIVE.

Actors have NO business pointing their guns at directors and producers who are not in front of the camera in the first place. Baldwin was ****ing around like the petulant little liberal kid he is and he blew that woman away by pointing the gun at her, cocking it all the way, and pulling the trigger. All deliberate. He wanted to scare her with a blank, IMO. (Which at that range, could also have killed her)
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 11:37am   #32
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 77.7%

Thanked 10,787 Times in 3,959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
I 100% blame Baldwin the producer who was beyond negligent in ensuring that protocols were in place and being followed to ensure safe weapons on set.

He was making this movie out of his own pocket so he tried to cut corners wherever possible. He hired some famous armorers coked up, tatted daughter and made her assume multiple responsibilities on the set. The whole thing was being done on a shoestring budget to increase the profits to himself. Frankly, he probably regards that lady's death as more of a nuisance than a tragedy.
Tikiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 8:12am   #33
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.8%

Thanked 1,360 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
He was making this movie out of his own pocket so he tried to cut corners wherever possible. He hired some famous armorers coked up, tatted daughter and made her assume multiple responsibilities on the set. The whole thing was being done on a shoestring budget to increase the profits to himself. Frankly, he probably regards that lady's death as more of a nuisance than a tragedy.
Early on it was said a group of actors took some guns while the armorer was on her lunch break and off site and went plinking with live ammo. She was unaware of their actions. Early reports also said the assistant producer went to the prop shop, grabbed guns that weren't checked by the armorer and got the loaded guns the actors had been playing with.

Funny how anything sounding like that has been scrubbed from the internet now. No matter how you look at it, as an actor or the man in charge of the whole production....Baldwin allowed the situation to happen. Not like a beginner armorer is going to speak out to a veteran star actor who can ( and now has) ruin her.
Chemtrails99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 9:36am   #34
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 57.6%

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
He goes to trial next month I believe
July

They convicted Hanna the other day
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 9:48am   #35
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Yep. Baldwin the producer, 100% guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 View Post
Early on it was said a group of actors took some guns while the armorer was on her lunch break and off site and went plinking with live ammo. She was unaware of their actions. Early reports also said the assistant producer went to the prop shop, grabbed guns that weren't checked by the armorer and got the loaded guns the actors had been playing with.

Funny how anything sounding like that has been scrubbed from the internet now. No matter how you look at it, as an actor or the man in charge of the whole production....Baldwin allowed the situation to happen. Not like a beginner armorer is going to speak out to a veteran star actor who can ( and now has) ruin her.
Which goes back to establishing and following protocols, that I am sure are fairly standard for movie production, to ensure safety.

Like you said, there is no way to spin it as not being the responsibility of the guy in charge (who also happened to be the one to pull the trigger)
Old 03-08-2024, 9:48am   #36
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 57.6%

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:

That's pretty much the daily news analysis around here. Assumption was the mother of all fkups that day
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 9:53am   #37
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Not buying it. Real guns mean using real safety measures, NO SHORTCUTS.

I Hope you are not a gun owner. Gun safety, like justice, is NOT SELECTIVE.

Actors have NO business pointing their guns at directors and producers who are not in front of the camera in the first place. Baldwin was ****ing around like the petulant little liberal kid he is and he blew that woman away by pointing the gun at her, cocking it all the way, and pulling the trigger. All deliberate. He wanted to scare her with a blank, IMO. (Which at that range, could also have killed her)
Are you talking to me?

If you really think that every individual actor verifies every round in every weapon prior to every shot, you are in an idealistic dream world. Not the least of which is that I'm sure that about 99% of actors can't look at a round and identify whether it is a blank or live.

There are no shortcuts. The part you are missing is that there alternatives including very simple policies and procedures that can be implemented to ensure safety on set that may not align exactly with what you do as an individual when your buddy hands you a gun.
Old 03-08-2024, 9:57am   #38
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,685 Times in 13,643 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

The detail that is being glossed over is Baldwin's insistence that he did not pull the trigger.
Whether the gun is loaded or unloaded is a circumstance all on it's own, that certainly contributed to her death BUT, his claim that he did not pull the trigger is a lie. The gun can be loaded or unloaded and it makes no difference UNTIL you pull the trigger.

He pulled the trigger and shot her. Period.
The gun should not have been loaded. Period

Two distinct issues.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 10:03am   #39
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
The detail that is being glossed over is Baldwin's insistence that he did not pull the trigger.
Whether the gun is loaded or unloaded is a circumstance all on it's own, that certainly contributed to her death BUT, his claim that he did not pull the trigger is a lie. The gun can be loaded or unloaded and it makes no difference UNTIL you pull the trigger.

He pulled the trigger and shot her. Period.
The gun should not have been loaded. Period

Two distinct issues.
I admittedly haven't kept up on the details. But yea, "pulling the trigger" is irrelevant. I've seen many weapons that will fire if you give them a nice whack on the butt. Is the argument that I can do that and shoot anybody I want ... because I didn't "pull the trigger"?

Idiot.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:19am   #40
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 6,922 Times in 2,622 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
I admittedly haven't kept up on the details. But yea, "pulling the trigger" is irrelevant. I've seen many weapons that will fire if you give them a nice whack on the butt. Is the argument that I can do that and shoot anybody I want ... because I didn't "pull the trigger"?

Idiot.
The gun in question was thoroughly worked over and determined to be incapable of discharge without a trigger pull.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loco Vette For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic