Old 03-01-2011, 9:33pm   #1
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default The Obama Healthcare Bluff

Obama Calls the Republican Healthcare Bluff

Obama Calls the Republican Healthcare Bluff | Mother Jones

The New York Times reports that President Obama plans to endorse a change to the healthcare reform law that would allow states to opt out from the start, rather than having to wait three years:

Senior administration officials said Mr. Obama would reveal to the National Governors Association in a speech on Monday morning that he backs legislation that would enable states to request federal permission to withdraw from the law’s mandates in 2014 rather than in 2017.

The earlier date is when many of the act’s central provisions take effect, including requirements that most individuals obtain health insurance and that employers of a certain size offer coverage to workers or pay a penalty.

The legislation would allow states to opt out earlier from various requirements if they could demonstrate that other methods would allow them to cover as many people, with insurance that is as comprehensive and affordable, as provided by the new law ....

If states can meet those standards, they can ask to circumvent minimum benefit levels, structural requirements for insurance exchanges and the mandates that most individuals obtain coverage and that employers provide it.

I suspect this is not as big a deal as it seems.

Basically, Obama is calling the bluff of Republicans who insist that they can build a healthcare system that's as extensive and affordable as PPACA using some combination of tea party-approved "free market" principles.

He's telling them to put their money (or, rather, money from the feds) where their mouths are, which will probably demonstrate fairly conclusively that they can't do it.

It's possible that a state like Oregon might enact a more liberal plan that meets PPACA standards, but I doubt that Alabama or Tennessee can do it just with HSAs and high-deductible health plans.

Still, we'll see.

This is a chance for conservatives to show that they have a better healthcare answer in the real world, not just as talking points at a tea party rally.

Obama is betting they'll fail, and he's also betting they'll tear each other apart arguing over details while they do it. Life is easy when all you have to do is yell "Repeal Obamacare!" but it gets a lot harder when you have to produce an actual plan.

UPDATE ~ Ezra Klein suggests that Republicans have no intention of supporting this legislation: "Now that Obama has admitted it's not a threat to the Affordable Care Act, a lot of the appeal for Republicans dissipates."

But it does become a way for Obama to demonstrate how reasonable he is.

See, we gave them a chance to implement their own policies, but they turned us down.
Maybe so.

Health Care Showdown: Obama Administration Calls Out GOP Governors

Health Care Showdown: Obama Administration Calls Out GOP Governors

You listening Romney(Obama)Care ?
Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 9:35pm   #2
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320
biggrin

Oops Up Side Yo Head, say Oops Up Side Yo Head.

Your move next.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 9:45pm   #3
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 5,045 Times in 2,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

The "do exactly as I say and I'll exempt you" proposal?

How considerate of him.

This won't be an issue in 2014, much less 2017.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 9:46pm   #4
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Oops Up Side Yo Head, say Oops Up Side Yo Head.

Your move next.
*Small Govt. conservatives* are jumping onboard with it (Obamacare) ... when it became clear these last few weeks that the GOP neo-hardliners want to make sure they're in your doctors office (especially with regards to abortion) ... well, that's Big Govt ... why the conservative family value hard-line right picks battles (Wisconsin) they lose behooves the exotix ...
Old 03-01-2011, 9:48pm   #5
ChasC5
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
The "do exactly as I say and I'll exempt you" proposal?

How considerate of him.

This won't be an issue in 2014, much less 2017.

Nope; it's means if you're going to put on a Robber, someone better get ready to get
Old 03-01-2011, 9:49pm   #6
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
*Small Govt. conservatives* are jumping onboard with it (Obamacare) ... when it became clear these last few weeks that the GOP neo-hardliners want to make sure they're in your doctors office (especially with regards to abortion) ... well, that's Big Govt ... why the conservative family value hard-line right picks battles (Wisconsin) they lose behooves the exotix ...
Where's the Plan, where's the Jobs
Old 03-01-2011, 9:53pm   #7
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Where's the Plan, where's the Jobs
Quit kidding ... Hackstabilly and the GOP 2012 POTUS hopefuls are still hosting Birther conferences ... that's where the base-vote (he was born and raised in Kenya and that's all there is to it ) they desperatly need are ...
Old 03-01-2011, 9:56pm   #8
ChasC5
Banned

biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
Quit kidding ... Hackstabilly and the GOP 2012 POTUS hopefuls are still hosting Birther conferences ... that's where the vote (he was born and raised in Kenya and that's all there is to it base) they desperatly need are ...
They may as well nominate Palin.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38pm   #9
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

This is just a smoke screen, because when this HC law gets in front of the supreme court it is toast anyway, I hope Texas will follow suit with Florida and not do a damn thing on implementation, as Texas was one of the 26 states in the Florida suit.
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 8:36am   #10
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
This is just a smoke screen, because when this HC law gets in front of the supreme court it is toast anyway, I hope Texas will follow suit with Florida and not do a damn thing on implementation, as Texas was one of the 26 states in the Florida suit.
God Bless America ... who care about American's and their Health Care; but it's sure ok with the GOP to send American's to die in a made-up War.
Old 03-02-2011, 9:10am   #11
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
God Bless America ... who care about American's and their Health Care; but it's sure ok with the GOP to send American's to die in a made-up War.
Healthcare is a personal decision and like I served our country in the military it was my choice, no one held a gun to my head, same goes for our military today, as I recall the draft ended in 1975, as usual more deflection. Seems Obama has stepped up a surge, like the one Bush led in Iraq, so no the libs are responsible for the blood on American soliders hands, but they are volunteers who serve so we can have this free debate
Old 03-02-2011, 10:07am   #12
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

I love it when a [heath] plan comes together. it's tables turnin' time,baby.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27pm   #13
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Healthcare is a personal decision and like I served our country in the military it was my choice, no one held a gun to my head, same goes for our military today, as I recall the draft ended in 1975, as usual more deflection. Seems Obama has stepped up a surge, like the one Bush led in Iraq, so no the libs are responsible for the blood on American soliders hands, but they are volunteers who serve so we can have this free debate
What?

Those personal decisions have gotten the Health Care cost to where they are now. Doing nothing gets you no positive progress.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59pm   #14
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
What?

Those personal decisions have gotten the Health Care cost to where they are now. Doing nothing gets you no positive progress.
Mostly medicade, they abuse the system, fart wrong and at the docs office getting a rx that I pay for, as long as some one else pays for who gives a Fu$k, double the medicade rolls under this new HC law, the 53% of overtaxed Americans will foot the bill. It is not the federal govts place to decide how I or anyone else insures there self and what the min benefits will be, the new rules have zoomed the rates of individual and small group policies, but that is ok just put them on medicade someone will pay
Old 03-02-2011, 1:28pm   #15
ChasC5
Banned

bak

Quote:
Mostly medicade, they abuse the system, fart wrong and at the docs office getting a rx that I pay for, as long as some one else pays for who gives a Fu$k, double the medicade rolls under this new HC law, the 53% of overtaxed Americans will foot the bill. It is not the federal govts place to decide how I or anyone else insures there self and what the min benefits will be, the new rules have zoomed the rates of individual and small group policies, but that is ok just put them on medicade someone will pay
So because a certain percentage takes advantage of the system, not different than any system public or private, we should scrap the entire system. That’s stupid, we’ve invested into a system that mostly works, it’s cheaper to close the loopholes and refine the system, than crap the entire thing and how thing get better by throwing the poor to the dogs.

I say no; as an American I choose to take care of Americans, rather than throw them out on the street to fend for themselves, because when it becomes every man for themselves, that when we get anarchy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 1:56pm   #16
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
So because a certain percentage takes advantage of the system, not different than any system public or private, we should scrap the entire system. That’s stupid, we’ve invested into a system that mostly works, it’s cheaper to close the loopholes and refine the system, than crap the entire thing and how thing get better by throwing the poor to the dogs.

I say no; as an American I choose to take care of Americans, rather than throw them out on the street to fend for themselves, because when it becomes every man for themselves, that when we get anarchy.
In the private sector those that take advantage are terminated or go elsewhere, time to stop the free handouts and medicade is the biggest waste of my tax $$, those that want free HC need to pay more in taxes, I want Govt out of my individual choice of coverage. We have not invested into the system, it is private run except for medicade and medicare (taxed by workers can go up to pay for the costs vs cutting benefits under Obamacare). Medicade and Medicare are going broke as the Govt does not know how to tie there shoes, look at the post office they have f$cked this up to.

You want to take care of the poor send in all your $$ and get them to send in some I am tired of paying for others that continue to want more and more for free, tax the 47% who do not pay taxes they have to share the burden.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Pan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 2:59pm   #17
ChasC5
Banned

Cool

Quote:
In the private sector those that take advantage are terminated or go elsewhere, time to stop the free handouts and medicade is the biggest waste of my tax $$, those that want free HC need to pay more in taxes, I want Govt out of my individual choice of coverage. We have not invested into the system, it is private run except for medicade and medicare (taxed by workers can go up to pay for the costs vs cutting benefits under Obamacare). Medicade and Medicare are going broke as the Govt does not know how to tie there shoes, look at the post office they have f$cked this up to.

You want to take care of the poor send in all your $$ and get them to send in some I am tired of paying for others that continue to want more and more for free, tax the 47% who do not pay taxes they have to share the burden.
BS, you can do the exact same thing in either sector ...

Obama didn't invent Medicade ...! didn't see bitching during the last decade when the Republicans were using the Cash Station.
Old 03-02-2011, 3:46pm   #18
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
BS, you can do the exact same thing in either sector ...

Obama didn't invent Medicade ...! didn't see bitching during the last decade when the Republicans were using the Cash Station.
I was not on this forum during the Bush years (it did not exist) and I do not frequent this section on the Corvette forum. You are right Obama did not create Medicade, he wants to double the rolls on the taxpayers $$, it is time to stop this and cut this program off, if you want this pay for it yourself. I do not care at the moment what party is spending, it is time now to cut up the CC as our nation is heading down the road to be like Greece, Ireland both Western countries where handouts have broken the system, we are on track to follow their failed example. Seem you are bitching that all that are not rich need to have it given to them free, not going to happen we do not have enough rich to support your free handouts for those not rich, time again to tax the 47% of Americans not paying any federal taxes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36pm   #19
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:

Worked just great, so why are we bailing the private sector out.
Old 03-03-2011, 9:46am   #20
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Worked just great, so why are we bailing the private sector out.
Your party runs the govt, they want control of our choices, but then deflection is what you do best, get the govt out of my HC choice

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion