Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2019, 8:19am   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 21.2%

Thanked 33,735 Times in 12,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default Workers hear drug deals, medical details and people having sex

Apple contractors 'regularly hear confidential details' on Siri recordings

Apple contractors regularly hear confidential medical information, drug deals, and recordings of couples having sex, as part of their job providing quality control, or “grading”, the company’s Siri voice assistant, the Guardian has learned.

Although Apple does not explicitly disclose it in its consumer-facing privacy documentation, a small proportion of Siri recordings are passed on to contractors working for the company around the world. They are tasked with grading the responses on a variety of factors, including whether the activation of the voice assistant was deliberate or accidental, whether the query was something Siri could be expected to help with and whether Siri’s response was appropriate.

Apple says the data “is used to help Siri and dictation … understand you better and recognise what you say”.

But the company does not explicitly state that that work is undertaken by humans who listen to the pseudonymised recordings.

Apple told the Guardian: “A small portion of Siri requests are analysed to improve Siri and dictation. User requests are not associated with the user’s Apple ID. Siri responses are analysed in secure facilities and all reviewers are under the obligation to adhere to Apple’s strict confidentiality requirements.” The company added that a very small random subset, less than 1% of daily Siri activations, are used for grading, and those used are typically only a few seconds long.

A whistleblower working for the firm, who asked to remain anonymous due to fears over their job, expressed concerns about this lack of disclosure, particularly given the frequency with which accidental activations pick up extremely sensitive personal information.

Siri can be accidentally activated when it mistakenly hears its “wake word”, the phrase “hey Siri”. Those mistakes can be understandable – a BBC interview about Syria was interrupted by the assistant last year – or less so. “The sound of a zip, Siri often hears as a trigger,” the contractor said. The service can also be activated in other ways. For instance, if an Apple Watch detects it has been raised and then hears speech, Siri is automatically activated.

The whistleblower said: “There have been countless instances of recordings featuring private discussions between doctors and patients, business deals, seemingly criminal dealings, sexual encounters and so on. These recordings are accompanied by user data showing location, contact details, and app data.”

That accompanying information may be used to verify whether a request was successfully dealt with. In its privacy documents, Apple says the Siri data “is not linked to other data that Apple may have from your use of other Apple services”. There is no specific name or identifier attached to a record and no individual recording can be easily linked to other recordings.

Accidental activations led to the receipt of the most sensitive data that was sent to Apple. Although Siri is included on most Apple devices, the contractor highlighted the Apple Watch and the company’s HomePod smart speaker as the most frequent sources of mistaken recordings. “The regularity of accidental triggers on the watch is incredibly high,” they said. “The watch can record some snippets that will be 30 seconds – not that long but you can gather a good idea of what’s going on.”

Sometimes, “you can definitely hear a doctor and patient, talking about the medical history of the patient. Or you’d hear someone, maybe with car engine background noise – you can’t say definitely, but it’s a drug deal … you can definitely hear it happening. And you’d hear, like, people engaging in sexual acts that are accidentally recorded on the pod or the watch.”

The contractor said staff were encouraged to report accidental activations “but only as a technical problem”, with no specific procedures to deal with sensitive recordings. “We’re encouraged to hit targets, and get through work as fast as possible. The only function for reporting what you’re listening to seems to be for technical problems. There’s nothing about reporting the content.”

As well as the discomfort they felt listening to such private information, the contractor said they were motivated to go public about their job because of their fears that such information could be misused. “There’s not much vetting of who works there, and the amount of data that we’re free to look through seems quite broad. It wouldn’t be difficult to identify the person that you’re listening to, especially with accidental triggers – addresses, names and so on.

“Apple is subcontracting out, there’s a high turnover. It’s not like people are being encouraged to have consideration for people’s privacy, or even consider it. If there were someone with nefarious intentions, it wouldn’t be hard to identify [people on the recordings].”

The contractor argued Apple should reveal to users this human oversight exists – and, specifically, stop publishing some of its jokier responses to Siri queries. Ask the personal assistant “are you always listening”, for instance, and it will respond with: “I only listen when you’re talking to me.”

That is patently false,, the contractor said. They argued that accidental triggers are too regular for such a lighthearted response.

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 10:21am   #2
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 40.3%

Thanked 18,437 Times in 8,123 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

I don't know about Siri, but when you wake up an Echo device it responds with a short tone and the blue ring on top lights up. When that happens it's really easy to STFU.
dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 10:43am   #3
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 79.9%

Thanked 10,871 Times in 5,071 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

So I called my friends home phone after they left here on a 4 hour drive to go home.....I called 1 hour before they got home and left this message.......
Hey Dick it's me,just wanted to see if this worked....let me know...Alexa play 70's music !........They walked in to their house and Billy Joel was playing ! lol It works if the answering machine is close enough to Alexa!
04 commemorative is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40am   #4
z06psi
Barn Stall Owner #∞
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,285 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $34677

Nope, no thanks.
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:57am   #5
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

I got a note from my son this AM, made reservations from Ca. with his son, so two of them flipping into Bawltimore to see my daughter's latest offering, another cousin, about a month old now....so we meeting at BWI on the 29th of Aug.....spend some time there, and then they going off to eastern shore to see their mom, I going to drive south to see some old antique friends, probably for the last time......may stop see a couple of other friends too....and flip back south on another airline on the 5th of Sept......

SO that's the plot, and it took TWO HOURS and a final phone call to make the stupid travel/air connections for me to get into BWI at same time they are, so to pick up car and my son made B&B res. already......Orbitz travel is really screwed up, I should have gone to the airlines directly and booked the flights....what a mess....two hours for a 20 minit effort......kiss my ever loving ASS.......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:22pm   #6
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 21.2%

Thanked 33,735 Times in 12,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

who would want to listen in on me

worker at the Siri monitoring office:

"apparently... Mike Mercury is having another difficult bowel movement."
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 12:54pm   #7
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 33,384 Times in 13,464 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I struggled with the decision about buying an Echo Dot. Then I realized how absolutely uninteresting listening in on me would be. Now I have 8 of them scattered through the house.

That being said, I am also testing them. I have an object that I name at least 5 times while at my house. Something I have never googled or asked Alexa about. I say it over and over from time to time. The MOMENT I see any ads or pop ups for this particular thing, the Echos will all be for sale on ebay.

I have automated a lot of things and it's all pretty cool...for now.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 2:58pm   #8
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2324642

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
I struggled with the decision about buying an Echo Dot. Then I realized how absolutely uninteresting listening in on me would be. Now I have 8 of them scattered through the house.

That being said, I am also testing them. I have an object that I name at least 5 times while at my house. Something I have never googled or asked Alexa about. I say it over and over from time to time. The MOMENT I see any ads or pop ups for this particular thing, the Echos will all be for sale on ebay.

I have automated a lot of things and it's all pretty cool...for now.
If they want to listen to me yell at my kids, go ahead.
C5SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 7:08pm   #9
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
So I called my friends home phone after they left here on a 4 hour drive to go home.....I called 1 hour before they got home and left this message.......
Hey Dick it's me,just wanted to see if this worked....let me know...Siri play 70's music !........They walked in to their house and Billy Joel was playing ! lol It works if the answering machine is close enough to the answering device !
Siri, play Afternoon Delight on repeat.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 9:27pm   #10
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 79.9%

Thanked 10,871 Times in 5,071 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

I meant to say "Alexa" not Siri......I have corrected it in my post.
04 commemorative is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic