Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41am   #1
pluslt
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $27
Default replacing valve springs and rockers anything I need to be aware of post op?

The Z is at Tony's right now having the valve springs and rockers replaced. Is there anything I need to be aware of or pay attn to after I get the car back? Other than listening for any odd noises should I make an effort to keep it under a certain rpm for a while, or maybe change the oil after a few hundred miles?

I'm sure the guys at Tony's will fill me in but figured I'd check with some folks who have likely already been down this road.

Thanks.

pluslt
pluslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 4:49pm   #2
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0%

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Many advise heat cycling the springs a couple times before subjecting them to high RPMs.
Then, there are others that say with modern wire materials and surface treatments, this is no longer necessary.

The last time I put new springs in, I idled the car up to temp (from cold engine) twice before I even drove it. Whether necessary or not, that's just the way it worked out, as I did some idle logging/tune adjustments in the process.

Even if you choose not to do this, take it easy and keep the RPMs down until you get some miles on the car. And always get the oil up to temp (180+) before beating on the car and going high RPM. That's just sound practice for all of the moving components in the engine and valvetrain.

Changing the oil shortly soon after shouldn't be necessary.

What springs/rockers are being installed, and what other engine mods do you have?

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 6:31pm   #3
pluslt
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Many advise heat cycling the springs a couple times before subjecting them to high RPMs.
Then, there are others that say with modern wire materials and surface treatments, this is no longer necessary.

The last time I put new springs in, I idled the car up to temp (from cold engine) twice before I even drove it. Whether necessary or not, that's just the way it worked out, as I did some idle logging/tune adjustments in the process.

Even if you choose not to do this, take it easy and keep the RPMs down until you get some miles on the car. And always get the oil up to temp (180+) before beating on the car and going high RPM. That's just sound practice for all of the moving components in the engine and valvetrain.

Changing the oil shortly soon after shouldn't be necessary.

What springs/rockers are being installed, and what other engine mods do you have?

Thanks that's what I was looking for. New springs are comps and rockers are Harland Sharp. As far as engine mods I don't have any internal mods. External are CAI, LG long tubes, Corsa exhaust and a tune from ECS.

Appreciate the reply.

pluslt
pluslt is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion