Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2018, 8:15am   #1
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272
Default The song of my people

From this weekend.

Can you imagine the real battles with over 650 pieces (Gettysburg) of field artillery. Many cannonades lasting for over 1 hr.? Or being in the infantry and marching line abreast in two ranks straight into the mouth of the cannons.

One official report from the Battle of Resaca.

Captain Simonson's official report describes what happened at this decisive moment: "I ordered the Fifth Indiana to open fire on the enemy, who were advancing in heavy force out of a thick woods, about 800 yards in front, which did not immediately check them as they advanced up the fields, driving our infantry back to and part of it in the rear of the battery, thus leaving the field clear in front and the enemy only about 400 yards distant. A very rapid fire of canister was opened on the advancing foe, which quickly cleared the field, the greater portion of the enemy's troops going into the woods toward our left. The pieces were immediately turned by hand to the left, and spherical case and shell were used, canister being held in readiness in case they gained the hill on our immediate left. They soon appeared on this hill and opened with a heavy volley of musketry, shooting at least twenty feet above the battery. The regiments which were upon the right and left of the battery seeing themselves flanked by a heavy force, immediately withdrew. The distance to the top of the hill was 150 yards. The men themselves, without particular orders, double-shotted the pieces with canister, and maintained the most rapid firing possible. Some few of the rebels reached the road at the foot of the hill, within fifty yards of the battery, but the main body appeared to be greatly disconcerted by the firing, and although their officers could be seen and heard trying to urge them forward, they very quickly put the hill between themselves and the pieces. They made one more endeavor to get over the hill more to our left, but were met in this attack at first by the fire of the battery with canister, and as they turned, by a volley from Robinson's brigade, of Williams' division, of General Hooker's corps, and who immediately charged and drove them clear over the hill out of sight in great confusion."

volume up for the full experience

Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 8:37am   #2
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,783 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

Good lord. Thanks for sharing.
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Olustee bus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 9:13am   #3
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,853 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Many, many years back our BS troop took a field trip to Gettysburg. When we were looking at musket balls in the museum we saw many that looked like the fused together. When my father asked what happened they explained that the amount of lead flying ion both directions led to many collisions.

My fathers went white as a ghost. He had made many landing and assaults during his 20 years in the Marines and that level of fire just terrified him.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 9:55am   #4
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Many, many years back our BS troop took a field trip to Gettysburg. When we were looking at musket balls in the museum we saw many that looked like the fused together. When my father asked what happened they explained that the amount of lead flying ion both directions led to many collisions.

My fathers went white as a ghost. He had made many landing and assaults during his 20 years in the Marines and that level of fire just terrified him.
Our fight for Culp's Hill at the 150th Gettysburg....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 3:49pm   #5
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 11,499 Times in 5,023 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

There were many battles where I grew up in Va. You should look up the battle of Cloyd's mountain, and the battle of Wytheville. The Yankees marched into Wytheville thinking easy pickens, and got their asses shot off by the townsfolk. A family that lived near me owned the house that was a boarding school at one time and Jeb Stuart was a pupil there. Unfortunately, it burned during a remodel job, which to this day I say was done for insurance purposes, but the family friends had long moved out to a smaller place near by.

The area I grew up in was important for many things. Lead mines (In Austinville), salt mines for curing meat (Saltville, Va), and we had the shot tower which is located on the New River about 10 minutes from where I grew up and is in Wythe county. You may already know a lot of that, and you can bet the Confederate statues honoring those who served their state from my hometown, won't be coming down any time soon. Google "Pulaski Virginia" and the Shot Tower in Wythe county for some images.

Great stuff you posted. I've been to Andersonville for the reenactments there.

Aw hell, I'll make it easy for ya...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Ferry_Shot_Tower
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Saltville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...d%27s_Mountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wytheville_Raid
https://muse.jhu.edu/article/417495/summary

http://mapio.net/pic/p-103624842/

I grew up right in the heart of it, only born 100 years too late to participate
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 7:17pm   #6
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camfrk View Post
There were many battles where I grew up in Va. You should look up the battle of Cloyd's mountain, and the battle of Wytheville. The Yankees marched into Wytheville thinking easy pickens, and got their asses shot off by the townsfolk. A family that lived near me owned the house that was a boarding school at one time and Jeb Stuart was a pupil there. Unfortunately, it burned during a remodel job, which to this day I say was done for insurance purposes, but the family friends had long moved out to a smaller place near by.

The area I grew up in was important for many things. Lead mines (In Austinville), salt mines for curing meat (Saltville, Va), and we had the shot tower which is located on the New River about 10 minutes from where I grew up and is in Wythe county. You may already know a lot of that, and you can bet the Confederate statues honoring those who served their state from my hometown, won't be coming down any time soon. Google "Pulaski Virginia" and the Shot Tower in Wythe county for some images.

Great stuff you posted. I've been to Andersonville for the reenactments there.

Aw hell, I'll make it easy for ya...

Jackson Ferry Shot Tower - Wikipedia

Second Battle of Saltville - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...d%27s_Mountain

Wytheville Raid - Wikipedia

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/417495/summary

http://mapio.net/pic/p-103624842/

I grew up right in the heart of it, only born 100 years too late to participate
Similar with me. This is my backyard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Resaca
I have participated in those events at Andersonville. I SLEPT on the same ground inside and outside the stockade. One of the perks of being a reenactor....you camp and live on THAT sacred ground for a couple of days. It is really special at night when there is no public around and only reenactors in authentic clothing. It's as close as you can get to a trip back in time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 8:18pm   #7
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 21,885 Times in 8,904 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Even though you know it's "just" a reenactment, it duplicates the intensity of what happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where I grew up was Revolution area. George Washington's troops were camped in the area I grew up on. Gen Washington stayed at the Delp farm about one mile away. Both before and after the battle for Germantown ( Phila ). The family Mennonite church on my Grandfather's side has four of Gen Washington's high ranking troops buried there that were mortally wounded during the Battle of Germantown.

Within the past 10 years, some letters that were written by the owners of the farm where I grew up were translated from Old German to modern English. The wife was writing her sister in Germany / Switzerland every week and documenting what was happening on their farm.

She wrote that that Washington's troops were camped right in the field by the house. They were burning the fence posts to keep warm ( it was winter ) and taking the straw and hat for the horses and mules. They were sharing their food with them and "thought" they had enough left to last until spring.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 8:42pm   #8
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
Even though you know it's "just" a reenactment, it duplicates the intensity of what happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where I grew up was Revolution area. George Washington's troops were camped in the area I grew up on. Gen Washington stayed at the Delp farm about one mile away. Both before and after the battle for Germantown ( Phila ). The family Mennonite church on my Grandfather's side has four of Gen Washington's high ranking troops buried there that were mortally wounded during the Battle of Germantown.

Within the past 10 years, some letters that were written by the owners of the farm where I grew up were translated from Old German to modern English. The wife was writing her sister in Germany / Switzerland every week and documenting what was happening on their farm.

She wrote that that Washington's troops were camped right in the field by the house. They were burning the fence posts to keep warm ( it was winter ) and taking the straw and hat for the horses and mules. They were sharing their food with them and "thought" they had enough left to last until spring.
Wow! I love Rev. war stuff, too. I recently found a photo of my
ggg-grandfather that fought in the war of 1812.

Yep, I've had a few times when you really live in the moment of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic