Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?

What's Cooking? Share your recipes and food preparation tips here.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2011, 2:14am   #1
high desert
Barn Stall Owner #8
Activity: 0%

Location: I'm sittin' in a bar on the inside, waitin' for a ride on the outside in Verdi, NV
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90676
Default Smokers

Just bought a Traeger wood pellet smoker and broke it in today with a couple of tri tip roasts using apple wood pellets.
Being a smoker n00b, I'd like to here what tips and tricks you use. Also, feel free to post up any favorite recipes or marinades and rubs you use.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 8:30am   #2
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

They look pretty nice, I'd never heard of them.

I'm not sure I can offer any tips for that rig. All I'm using is a Chargriller with the Texas Smoker attached to the side. I use lump charcoal and assorted wood chips.

One thing I can't stress enough, is getting one of those remote thermometers with the dual probes. I was never able to trust any grill thermometer when it came to the task of smoking.

DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 9:39am   #3
Tossin
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3613

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheTop View Post

I'm not sure I can offer any tips for that rig. All I'm using is a Chargriller with the Texas Smoker attached to the side. I use lump charcoal and assorted wood chips.

One thing I can't stress enough, is getting one of those remote thermometers with the dual probes. I was never able to trust any grill thermometer when it came to the task of smoking.

It helped a lot when I made a few smoking attempts with a POS electric smoker an in-law bought me.
Tossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 9:42am   #4
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossin View Post

It helped a lot when I made a few smoking attempts with a POS electric smoker an in-law bought me.
Yep. My worst experience was when I smoked pork ribs the first couple of time. I was a noob and trusted the thermometer that came with the grill. Well, it turned out that my ribs came out fecked up because the thermometer was 90 degrees off! I wondered why it was so difficult to hold what I thought was a "low" temp!
DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10am   #5
Tossin
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3613

Quote:
Yep. My worst experience was when I smoked pork ribs the first couple of time. I was a noob and trusted the thermometer that came with the grill. Well, it turned out that my ribs came out fecked up because the thermometer was 90 degrees off! I wondered why it was so difficult to hold what I thought was a "low" temp!
My moment came with 20 pounds of shoulder I was smoking for my daughter's birthday party this last year. The smoker was going along well for 4 hours...then the temp in the smoker started dropping...and dropping...and dropping...I had a few moments of "Oh, shit what am I going to do?" So into the oven the shoulders went at low heat to finish off. I'm glad I had invested in that thermometer.

The thermometer is a little on the clunky side with programming, but it works...
Tossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 6:05pm   #6
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

You don't have to buy that exact brand remote probe unit, I have a Polder dual-probe, among others, and they are fine. The trick is to never let your probes experience direct heat. 400 or below and they will last for a very long time. If they see direct heat, maybe twice.

The pros use an actual thermocouple. I haven't sprung for one of them yet but ThermoWorks is the Rolls Royce of food thermometers. I have one of their instant-read models and love it.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03pm   #7
high desert
Barn Stall Owner #8

Location: I'm sittin' in a bar on the inside, waitin' for a ride on the outside in Verdi, NV
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90676

Quote:

Remote thermometer is definitely on my list. It's a pain to keep lifting the lid to check internal temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
You don't have to buy that exact brand remote probe unit, I have a Polder dual-probe, among others, and they are fine. The trick is to never let your probes experience direct heat. 400 or below and they will last for a very long time. If they see direct heat, maybe twice.

The pros use an actual thermocouple. I haven't sprung for one of them yet but ThermoWorks is the Rolls Royce of food thermometers. I have one of their instant-read models and love it.
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping you would post in this thread. Any other tips, tricks or recipes you care to share? What's your favorite cut of meat / wood choice combination?
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?