Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2012, 3:46pm   #1
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471
Default Pricks and prickettes on the road...

I was stopped at a stop sign on the way home waiting for traffic to cleat so that I could turn right onto the other road. Traffic had cleared, except for an Infiniti who was approaching from my left in the lane that is both a right-turn lane and a through lane. He had no turn signal on, so I waited for him to clear.

What does he do? Turn right onto the street I was on. Is it too damned much trouble to give a turn signal? Does he think he's above having to signal because he drives an expensive car? Or is he just a discourteous bastard?

I don't want you to think that I'm a hot-headed road rage warrior--I'm not. In my business you learn to keep your cool. But between what happened today, cell phone users/texters hogging the left lane at a slow speed, tailgaters who have no possibility of not hitting me if I stopped suddenly, and on and on, it's a wonder we get out alive every day.

One other thing: Truckers used to be the most courteous drivers on the road, promptly moving over after they passed a car. Now they just blatantly hog the left lane and don't move over for faster traffic. Why do these people think they own the highway? Driving is about cooperation and give and take. Everyone gets there quicker and safer that way.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 3:49pm   #2
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
IOne other thing: Truckers used to be the most courteous drivers on the road, promptly moving over after they passed a car. Now they just blatantly hog the left lane and don't move over for faster traffic. Why do these people think they own the highway? Driving is about cooperation and give and take. Everyone gets there quicker and safer that way.
"TxAg...pick up the white courtesy phone...TxAg..."
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 3:50pm   #3
Kerrmudgeon
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 18,411 Times in 8,713 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4614507

You KNOW you're getting old when little things in life start to irritate you enough to rant about them!

Kerrmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 3:54pm   #4
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 0%

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,762 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152

Two things,maybe he didn't know how to use them or they don't come on an overly expensive car like that ya think? That irritates me also.
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 4:00pm   #5
Jobaka
Barn Stall Owner #79

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,581 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $955

Me: Wow, that's a really old car.

Wife: What are you talking about? It's brand new.

Me: I disagree. Clearly, it was manufactured before the invention of turn signals.

Wife: <Shakes head, wonders where her life went wrong>
Jobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jobaka For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 4:06pm   #6
Tossin
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon View Post
You KNOW you're getting old when little things in life start to irritate you enough to rant about them!
Holy crap, then exactly how old is Red?

I just assume that people are going to turn if they don't have their signals on and they're not going to turn if they have their signals on. Something my father taught me many years ago when I was learning to drive.

To me, life's too short to get annoyed at minor annoyances on the road like that.
Tossin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tossin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 4:20pm   #7
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,393 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3016342

Quote:
I was stopped at a stop sign on the way home waiting for traffic to cleat so that I could turn right onto the other road. Traffic had cleared, except for an Infiniti who was approaching from my left in the lane that is both a right-turn lane and a through lane. He had no turn signal on, so I waited for him to clear.

What does he do? Turn right onto the street I was on. Is it too damned much trouble to give a turn signal? Does he think he's above having to signal because he drives an expensive car? Or is he just a discourteous bastard?

I don't want you to think that I'm a hot-headed road rage warrior--I'm not. In my business you learn to keep your cool. But between what happened today, cell phone users/texters hogging the left lane at a slow speed, tailgaters who have no possibility of not hitting me if I stopped suddenly, and on and on, it's a wonder we get out alive every day.

One other thing: Truckers used to be the most courteous drivers on the road, promptly moving over after they passed a car. Now they just blatantly hog the left lane and don't move over for faster traffic. Why do these people think they own the highway? Driving is about cooperation and give and take. Everyone gets there quicker and safer that way.
Here in the NoVa/DC area, I encounter the same pricks/prickettes on a daily basis. I am surprised (and knocking on wood real quick!) that I have not gotten into an accident with one of them in the 11 years I've lived here.

I've also driven to/from NY every 2 months for 11 years up/down Route 81, a major truck corridor. I have also noticed the same lack of courtesy with regard to the left lane. If a truck moves over when he/she sees me, I give a 'thanks!' wave. If I come up on them and they don't move over, I'll flash my lights, and some will move over. But if they refuse to move over, they will get a bit more of a negative response from me.

Most of these people wouldn't last in Germany, that's for sure...
LilRedCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 4:47pm   #8
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette View Post
Here in the NoVa/DC area, I encounter the same pricks/prickettes on a daily basis. I am surprised (and knocking on wood real quick!) that I have not gotten into an accident with one of them in the 11 years I've lived here.

I've also driven to/from NY every 2 months for 11 years up/down Route 81, a major truck corridor. I have also noticed the same lack of courtesy with regard to the left lane. If a truck moves over when he/she sees me, I give a 'thanks!' wave. If I come up on them and they don't move over, I'll flash my lights, and some will move over. But if they refuse to move over, they will get a bit more of a negative response from me.

Most of these people wouldn't last in Germany, that's for sure...
When I started driving, there were very few 4-lane highways in my State. Although there were a few people who were rude on the highway, most were pretty considerate. For instance, slow truckers would pull off the road to let the string of cars behind them get by. I remember hardly any folks who tailgated ordidn't signal.

It seems contradictory that there were more auto fatalities back then than now, but the big difference is in the roads, not the drivers. 4-lane roads are inherently safer and better marked now, and cars are much safer now.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 5:17pm   #9
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,520 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossin View Post
Holy crap, then exactly how old is Red?

I just assume that people are going to turn if they don't have their signals on and they're not going to turn if they have their signals on. Something my father taught me many years ago when I was learning to drive.

To me, life's too short to get annoyed at minor annoyances on the road like that.
I just assume everyone else will do something stupid.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 9:23pm   #10
WarDriver
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $945

Quote:

What does he do? Turn right onto the street I was on. Is it too damned much trouble to give a turn signal?
Don't sweat it. Chances are if he had used a signal and you had gone across his path he would have gone straight and T-boned you (with his right turn signal still flashing).
WarDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic