Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > C1 & C2 Corvette > C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion

C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion General and technical C1 & C2 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, restoration

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2023, 2:17pm   #1
StudleyJames
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 3,774, Level: 40
Activity: 0.3%
 
StudleyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 533
Thanks: 36
Thanked 587 Times in 251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default 1967 Rear Leaf spring (replaced)

My 67 L68 rear (original) leaf sping looks brand new (cleaned, new pads, and painted gray).

I have had to purchase new non stock strut rod bolts (5" lg) for the car sit level

My qustion is:
This winter I will be removing the diff and trans, should I have the main leaf of spring re-curved? It looks almost flat when the car sits on the ground, has some arch but not much
Do not want to go fiberglass
StudleyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 2:50pm   #2
roadpilot
Barn Stall Owner #121
Points: 2,934, Level: 35
Activity: 13.5%
 
roadpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Oviedo Florida
Posts: 944
Thanks: 250
Thanked 466 Times in 249 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudleyJames View Post
My 67 L68 rear (original) leaf sping looks brand new (cleaned, new pads, and painted gray).

I have had to purchase new non stock strut rod bolts (5" lg) for the car sit level

My qustion is:
This winter I will be removing the diff and trans, should I have the main leaf of spring re-curved? It looks almost flat when the car sits on the ground, has some arch but not much
Do not want to go fiberglass
Mine has a liitle bow but not much. My BB rides good. How does your car
ride? I would leave your springs alone ,if the ride is good.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 2:55pm   #3
StudleyJames
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 3,774, Level: 40
Activity: 0.3%
 
StudleyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 533
Thanks: 36
Thanked 587 Times in 251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
Mine has a liitle bow but not much. My BB rides good. How does your car
ride? I would leave your springs alone ,if the ride is good.
The ride is good, but the bolts look funny being so short
StudleyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 4:55pm   #4
roadpilot
Barn Stall Owner #121
Points: 2,934, Level: 35
Activity: 13.5%
 
roadpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Oviedo Florida
Posts: 944
Thanks: 250
Thanked 466 Times in 249 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudleyJames View Post
The ride is good, but the bolts look funny being so short
Run longer bolts ,if you are worried.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 9:52am   #5
StudleyJames
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 3,774, Level: 40
Activity: 0.3%
 
StudleyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 533
Thanks: 36
Thanked 587 Times in 251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
Run longer bolts ,if you are worried.
I put shorter bolts in so the car would sit level, how is putting longer bolts back in going solve anything?

My question was should I have the spring re curved or buy a new one (non fiberglass)
StudleyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 3:24pm   #6
roadpilot
Barn Stall Owner #121
Points: 2,934, Level: 35
Activity: 13.5%
 
roadpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Oviedo Florida
Posts: 944
Thanks: 250
Thanked 466 Times in 249 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudleyJames View Post
I put shorter bolts in so the car would sit level, how is putting longer bolts back in going solve anything?

My question was should I have the spring re curved or buy a new one (non fiberglass)
You felt uneasy with short bolts. My suggestion run longer bolts for
peace of mind. No I dont see the need to recurve the spring. Short or long as
long as you have enough bolt thread to level your car, you are ok.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 3:39pm   #7
AUTOHOLIC
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 2,521, Level: 32
Activity: 5.5%
 
AUTOHOLIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Cottonwood, AZ.
Posts: 354
Thanks: 30
Thanked 263 Times in 120 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
You felt uneasy with short bolts. My suggestion run longer bolts for
peace of mind. No I dont see the need to recurve the spring. Short or long as
long as you have enough bolt thread to level your car, you are ok.
__________________
Previous screen name on Corvette Forum was 68hemi
See my albums by clicking on my screen name for info and pictures of my cars.
My vehicles are driven DAILY
1965 Rally red/black leather coupe with stealth 383 appears like a factory 365 h.p. engine
1966 Nassau blue/blue L72 convertible
1972 El Camino SS Silver/black
2011 Polaris RZR 900
AUTOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 3:52pm   #8
StudleyJames
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 3,774, Level: 40
Activity: 0.3%
 
StudleyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 533
Thanks: 36
Thanked 587 Times in 251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

You guys are missing my point, with stock length bolts the car "squats" so I put in 5" long grade 8 bolts and now the car sits level. I replace the bushing also.

The spring "looks fine" but something has to be wrong where the stock length bolts won't work.

My guess the spring is weak, so should I have it re "curved"? or buy new?
(its the original BB spring with 45,000 miles on it)
StudleyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 6:02pm   #9
AUTOHOLIC
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 2,521, Level: 32
Activity: 5.5%
 
AUTOHOLIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Cottonwood, AZ.
Posts: 354
Thanks: 30
Thanked 263 Times in 120 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Just buy a new one. Local spring shops should have the original specs
__________________
Previous screen name on Corvette Forum was 68hemi
See my albums by clicking on my screen name for info and pictures of my cars.
My vehicles are driven DAILY
1965 Rally red/black leather coupe with stealth 383 appears like a factory 365 h.p. engine
1966 Nassau blue/blue L72 convertible
1972 El Camino SS Silver/black
2011 Polaris RZR 900
AUTOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AUTOHOLIC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 5:29pm   #10
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Points: 12,352, Level: 76
Activity: 56.5%
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4,309
Thanks: 663
Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

If you are convinced you need a new spring look into Eaton Springs - and be leery of re'arching, it is a big deal....it requires heat and annealing the springs and ain't cheap if done right. Personally, if you have the car sitting level I'd leave it be; read the attachment for the process of re-arching.
Attached Files
Eaton_Spring.pdf (1.58 MB, 1 views)
Frankie the Fink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 8:45am   #11
StudleyJames
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 3,774, Level: 40
Activity: 0.3%
 
StudleyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 533
Thanks: 36
Thanked 587 Times in 251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Update: I purchased a spring from Eaton (was a pain in the butt to disassemble and paint gray) car now sits perfectly level with the correct length trailing arm bolts with castle nuts, ride is smooth.

Only grip is I had to re use my other spring's liners because the one on the new Eaton spring did not stick out enough

Question, I removed the two outer bands (when I took the spring apart for painting). Do I re install them or toss them? my other spring did not have them
StudleyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 8:17am   #12
roadpilot
Barn Stall Owner #121
Points: 2,934, Level: 35
Activity: 13.5%
 
roadpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Oviedo Florida
Posts: 944
Thanks: 250
Thanked 466 Times in 249 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudleyJames View Post
Update: I purchased a spring from Eaton (was a pain in the butt to disassemble and paint gray) car now sits perfectly level with the correct length trailing arm bolts with castle nuts, ride is smooth.

Only grip is I had to re use my other spring's liners because the one on the new Eaton spring did not stick out enough

Question, I removed the two outer bands (when I took the spring apart for painting). Do I re install them or toss them? my other spring did not have them
I am always reluctant when throwing away old parts esp vette parts.
Throw it away then your looking for a part later and you will say
I should not of thrown that part away.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > C1 & C2 Corvette > C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:36pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2024 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page