Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2023, 3:46pm   #61
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 71.9%

Thanked 33,725 Times in 13,665 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Yes there are still some cheap, safe places to live, my bro-in-law lives near Muskogee, OK and its peaceful but boring as all hell and you have to go to Ft. Smith, AK for many things (medical, big purchases, etc.). And its either sleet, flooding, baking, etc for weather.

As to people exiting Florida a total BS story, last year 1,000 people A DAY were moving here and that was before last winter's brutal storms, prob 500 more a day now....trouble is they are ruining the state.
Because we are such a trending/influencer/manipulated society now, these stories are invented in hopes they will become true.

When the California exodus was made a story, I have no doubt it prompted other people to follow suit. I think the hope here is to slow the flow to Florida by saying people are leaving.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 3:47pm   #62
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,768 Times in 3,833 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Looks who's talking, living in Commiefornia.
I can move anywhere I want any time I want. Where I am in CA, I'm in a sort of bubble where the people and quality of life is like the mid-west. Very conservative in my 'pocket', and for a big city, low stress. I saw the snow on the Sierras today when running errands. It's 70 degrees today. I have been looking in the southwest, but the climate change has me wondering. I've been checking out Nevada, AZ, Utah, TN, etc. for years. In the past 3 years, places that were $250k in Nevada that were inferior to my current digs are now 700K. The plandemic levelled real estate prices all over since nobody goes to work anymore. My 'ace in the hole' is to sell my Bay Area rental, take the tax and white male conservative hit, and get someplace out of state to hide when I feel the need. Idaho is a possibility. Many of us are looking at our last 10-30 years on this planet, so we need to make 'the Golden Years' as stress free as possible. I've set it up so that financially, I can. Right now, I am OK where I am. If they shut off the gas for my gas stove, though, I'm outta here.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 3:54pm   #63
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

There are many reasons why people on forums argue. Here are some possible explanations:

Difference in opinion: People often have different views and opinions on various topics, and when they express them on forums, it can lead to disagreement and argument.

Ego: Some people may argue simply to prove that they are right and to boost their own self-esteem.

Misunderstandings: Due to the nature of online communication, it's easy for misunderstandings to occur. This can lead to arguments as people try to clarify their points or correct others' misconceptions.

Tribalism: People often identify with certain groups or communities, and may become defensive or argumentative when their group or community is challenged or criticized.

Attention-seeking: Some people may argue or stir up controversy simply to get attention or to be noticed by others.

Trolling: There are some individuals who intentionally provoke and instigate arguments just for the sake of causing chaos and disruption.

Lack of social cues: Online communication lacks many of the social cues that we rely on in face-to-face interactions, such as body language and tone of voice. This can sometimes make it more difficult for people to understand each other's intentions and can lead to arguments.

Overall, there are many different factors that can contribute to arguments on forums. However, it's important to remember that disagreements and debate can also be healthy and productive if they are approached with respect and an open mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 4:20pm   #64
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 12,542 Times in 5,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Well, according to this news report, folks are leaving FLA like crazy due to climate change fears. Looks like you will be able to find a nice place in the Keys pretty soon!...

"....Florida's climate exodus has already begun — and it's only going to get worse....."

https://news.yahoo.com/floridas-clim...t_source=email
The Author of the article is a climate activist Progressive liberal. Of course he is pushing his agenda VS the truth.
https://jakebittle.com/

And the population of Florida has grown constantly the past 50 years.

https://www.macrotrends.net/states/florida/population
VITE1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 4:33pm   #65
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
With interest rates like they are now, purchasing has damn near come to a halt for those looking at finance options. The good thing for buyers right now, they can make some pretty good demands and just about get what they want because it is a buyers market right now.
Interest rates today are on par with the rates in the 1950's and 60's. The problem is house prices have gone up 121% while Median household incomes have gone up 29%.

https://listwithclever.com/research/...torical-study/

At the same time the number of Americans collecting some form of government payment has skyrocketed. What we really have is a value production problem while we have had higher than average inflation growth on Homes, HC, Education and government. Add in the migration from a manufacturing society to a Service society and we are in the middle of a massive sea change in how Americans live and work. And it's not going to be a good change. We've traded Exceptionalism for mediocrity.

The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 4:51pm   #66
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,582 Times in 10,687 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
With interest rates like they are now, purchasing has damn near come to a halt for those looking at finance options. The good thing for buyers right now, they can make some pretty good demands and just about get what they want because it is a buyers market right now.
I would not say it is a buyers market. I would say it is not the hot sellers market it was in 2021 & most of 2022. So I would say it is a neutral market.

Yes interest rates have a little to do with it. But 5-6% is still historically low and I have not seen financing stop people from buying.

In my area, the largest factor slowing the market is inventory of good property. I have a listing appointment tomorrow with a builder client for a brand new home that will list in the $650K range. It should sell quickly.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 4:52pm   #67
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

The retreat from marriage—a retreat that has been concentrated among lower-income Americans—plays a key role in the changing economic fortunes of American family life. We estimate that the growth in median income of families with children would be 44 percent higher if the United States enjoyed 1980 levels of married parenthood today. Further, at least 32 percent of the growth in family-income inequality since 1979 among families with children and 37 percent of the decline in men’s employment rates during that time can be linked to the decreasing number of Americans who form and maintain stable, married families.

https://www.aei.org/research-product...ss-in-america/
Old 02-21-2023, 5:11pm   #68
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,582 Times in 10,687 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
The retreat from marriage—a retreat that has been concentrated among lower-income Americans—plays a key role in the changing economic fortunes of American family life. We estimate that the growth in median income of families with children would be 44 percent higher if the United States enjoyed 1980 levels of married parenthood today. Further, at least 32 percent of the growth in family-income inequality since 1979 among families with children and 37 percent of the decline in men’s employment rates during that time can be linked to the decreasing number of Americans who form and maintain stable, married families.

https://www.aei.org/research-product...ss-in-america/
The left is winning the war on family and the middle class.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 5:16pm   #69
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 71.6%

Thanked 33,540 Times in 11,786 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
There are many reasons why people on forums argue. Here are some possible explanations:

Difference in opinion: People often have different views and opinions on various topics, and when they express them on forums, it can lead to disagreement and argument.

Ego: Some people may argue simply to prove that they are right and to boost their own self-esteem.

Misunderstandings: Due to the nature of online communication, it's easy for misunderstandings to occur. This can lead to arguments as people try to clarify their points or correct others' misconceptions.

Tribalism: People often identify with certain groups or communities, and may become defensive or argumentative when their group or community is challenged or criticized.

Attention-seeking: Some people may argue or stir up controversy simply to get attention or to be noticed by others.

Trolling: There are some individuals who intentionally provoke and instigate arguments just for the sake of causing chaos and disruption.

Lack of social cues: Online communication lacks many of the social cues that we rely on in face-to-face interactions, such as body language and tone of voice. This can sometimes make it more difficult for people to understand each other's intentions and can lead to arguments.

Overall, there are many different factors that can contribute to arguments on forums. However, it's important to remember that disagreements and debate can also be healthy and productive if they are approached with respect and an open mind.

Cliffs?
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 5:32pm   #70
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,768 Times in 3,833 Posts

Marvin the Martian has it nailed. Great posts, Sir!!
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 5:52pm   #71
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Cliffs?
Internets got foos on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 8:04pm   #72
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,563 Times in 2,564 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Good. Tell all them ghetto thugs and northerners to get the hell out. I-75 and I-95 head north. I-10 will take them west.

GET. THE. HELL. OUT!
Im good with north...but west only if they continue all the way to Komifornia...
zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 8:47pm   #73
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,626 Times in 2,722 Posts

Quote:

I post for the laughs.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 8:48pm   #74
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Internets got foos on it.
See?
Old 02-22-2023, 6:52am   #75
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 61.5%

Thanked 3,637 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
What's worse is the monthly rent in many places for an apartment in/near the suburbs is about the same or more than buying right now. Guess why I'm looking for a new place....
Typically rents are going up $500 or more a month in Florida, partly because of the inflationary rise in insurance rates for landlords, repairs, ,maintenance, what-have-you. And partly for revenge against the CDC's arguably illegal eviction moratorium when landlords were sucking wind.

Neighbor let two friends move into the house she's buying when their rent went up like above. One has left and the other is being a jerk and now she's stuck with him (and I warned her about doing this). Evictions in Florida are a hassle.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 8:21am   #76
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I post for the laughs.
That was an AI response I posted.
Old 02-22-2023, 8:26am   #77
Rob
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #14
Barn Raising II,III Chef

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Ukranian Famers are the modern day Chuck Norris
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,475 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17601606

Quote:
Bing? ChatGPT?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 8:51am   #78
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
'Spalins it. AI = no humor.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 9:55am   #79
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.1%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,422 Times in 1,877 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

"There went Paradise"

I can certainly relate to that. The large lake/reservoir I now live on is certainly changing and not for the best. Basically thanks to that Covid Bullshit people are moving out of the urban areas! The problem is most of the newbies up here are not our kind of people.

They are basically left to very left and most have money. Due to Covid, property was selling fast for the the last couple years. A camp/house goes on the market say with a asking price of $300,000. Five days later after many times a bidding war it sell for$375,000. The people that buy the property have cash.

Fortunately for now most are getting camp property, but we have got new neighbors. A couple hundred yards down the road we have new neighbors building a rather big house, they are both retired school teachers and plan to live here year around. In just a couple conversations with them it looks like my neighborhood is going down hill!

For the most part they come from NY city, NJ, Connecticut and other liberal shitholes and they bring their garbage with them. We are slowly morphing from a very decent small town atmosphere to situations we do not want.

Demographically speaking my little town in population and large in area has about a 1,000 year around people. it is extremely conservative and to the best of my knowledge we only have 4 black people (1 family) in the town. . They are decent people, friends of mine and he is a decent contractor and likes speed boats.
That is both winter and in the crowded summer time

Most of the newbies do not know how to drive and their attitude in general turns off a lot of people, some are starting to get politically active and as I said they are very left leaning. As of now we have the best run town with the lowest taxes and best service on the lake. We have no town police force and not much in Mickey Mouse type rules and regulations. Many of us including me have their own legal (as of now) shooting range on our property.

Things as I type this have slowed down somewhat but in the better weather we will go from 1,000 to over 6,000 on many summer weekends.

I can see its going to get quite interesting in the future and that is not for the good.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:14am   #80
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Bing? ChatGPT?