Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc.

Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc. Road course, Auto-X events and discussion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12pm   #1
cor123
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1665
Default CORVETTE RACING AT INDIANAPOLIS: Garcia Qualifies Sixth in GTLM

CORVETTE RACING AT INDIANAPOLIS: Garcia Qualifies Sixth in GTLM
Action Express Racing’s Christian Fittipaldi fourth-fastest in prototype qualifying

· Antonio Garcia leads the way for Corvette Racing qualifying sixth – second through sixth separated by one tenth of a second

· Christian Fittipaldi fastest Corvette Daytona Prototype driver in No. 5 Corvette DP

· All Chevrolet Corvette DPs post top 10 qualifying efforts

INDIANAPOLIS (July 24, 2014) – Corvette Racing’s two Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs qualified sixth and 10th for Friday’s Brickyard Grand Prix at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Antonio Garcia was sixth-quickest Thursday in qualifying with a lap of 1:22.593 (106.309 mph) in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R he drives with Jan Magnussen.

The Garcia/Magnussen pairing enters the race as the championship leaders in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s GT Le Mans (GTLM) class, and Chevrolet leads in GTLM manufacturer points. The No. 3 Corvette is on a four-race winning streak in GTLM – Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen and Canadian Tire Motorsports Park.

Tommy Milner was 10th on Thursday in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R with a lap of 1:23.237 (105.487 mph). Corvette Racing will take the green flag for the first time at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Giancarlo Fisichella was the fastest qualifier in GTLM at 1:22.378 (106.587 mph).

Fittipaldi, Action Express Racing to Start on Second Row

Action Express Racing led the Corvette Daytona Prototype contingent in Prototype qualifying Thursday. Christian Fittipaldi piloted the No. 5 Corvette DP to a fourth-place starting position with a time of 1:18.102 (112.422 mph).

Fittipaldi and co-driver Joao Barbosa are looking for their second victory of the season after taking the a season-opening victory in the Rolex 24 At Daytona. Richard Westbrook and Michael Valiante in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP posted the fifth quickest time of Thursday’s qualifying session with a lap of 1:18.188 (112.299). The paring notched a victory earlier this season at Watkins Glen.

Jordan Taylor was seventh in qualifying in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP. Eric Curran rounded out the Chevrolet-powered cars in the top 10. Curran will pilot the No. 31 Marsh Racing Corvette DP from the ninth starting spot. Ryan Dalziel was the fastest qualifier at 1:17.603 (113.145 mph).

Live television coverage of the Brickyard Grand Prix starts at 5:30 p.m. ET, Friday on FOX Sports 1.

GTLM QUOTES

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

ON HIS QUALIFYING RUN:
“We were two tenths off which I think I proved again that we took 100 percent out of what we had. So we have confidence toward the race. Anything can happen so we might be sixth, but we are only a tenth off second. It’s very close out there. There is a lot to be gained or lost in traffic. I think that is where Corvette Racing will gain on everybody, and if we run a smart race we can go for a fifth victory.”

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU’VE RACED ON THIS TRACK. ARE THERE A LOT OF GOOD PASSING ZONES?
“I don’t know. I never run really tight or really close with other GTLM cars. I think traffic is going to be the key thing – not only speed. I think the traffic factor will be more than 50 percent of the race.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R
ON HIS QUALIFYING RUN:
“It’s first time here for us, and we obviously came here this weekend with some rules changes that were pretty much stacked against us. The No. 3 Corvette C7.R guys have been fast all year, qualifying up front. Now they can do no better than sixth. We are obviously on the back foot there, but I think we just missed it with the setup on our car. We were okay earlier today. We have been struggling all year a little bit with pace in our car. I think we got a little bit off plan with what we kind of set out to do this weekend. It seemed to work but I think it hurt us here in qualifying. It’s so close in GTLM that if you have a bad session,, that is it and you are at the back. It’s not where you want to be, but the car seemed good in practice on old tires compared to our competitors. It seemed like we were quick. At least from last there is nowhere else to go but up. That is what I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

PROTOTYPE QUOTES

CHRISTIAN FITTIPALDI, NO. 5 ACTION EXPRESS RACING CORVETTE DP

ON HIS QUALIFYING RUN:
“It was good. I think we made progress during the whole day. I hadn’t been here so the track was new to me. Although I had been here last year there had been a couple of changes. We came up to speed pretty good. We did decent strategy in qualifying. We waited three or four minutes to go out. I think it was the right thing to do. I hit a little bit of traffic. I can’t complain. Maybe my limit here today was a 1:17.8, but I wasn’t going to run a 1:17.6 – no way. We will get them tomorrow. We have a fast Corvette DP. We know who we are fighting against in points. Just go for the battle tomorrow.”

TUDOR Championship – GTLM Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Manufacturer Standings

1. Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen – 190

T2. Bill Auberlen/Andy Priaulx – 171

T2. Dominik Farnbacher/Marc Goossens - 171

3. Jonathan Bomarito/Kuno Wittmer – 170

T4. Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner – 165

T4. Richard Lietz/Nick Tandy – 138

5. John Edwards/Dirk Muller - 161

1. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 190

2. No. 55 BMW Team RLL – 171

3. No. 91 SRT Motorsports – 171

4. No. 93 SRT Motorsports - 170

5. No. 911 Porsche North America - 165

6. No. 4 Corvette Racing – 165

1. Chevrolet – 194

2. Porsche – 186

3. BMW – 184

4. SRT – 180

5. Ferrari – 162

TUDOR Championship – Prototype Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Engine Manufacturer Standings

1. Jordan Taylor/Ricky Taylor – 218

2. Joao Barbosa/Christian Fittipaldi – 213

3. Gustavo Yacaman – 208

4. Michael Valiante/Richard Westbrook - 207

5. Scott Pruett/Memo Rojas – 192

12. Boris Said – 117

15. Eric Curran – 96

17. Max Angelelli – 85

18. Brian Frisselle/Burt Frisselle – 84

21. Sebastien Bourdais – 67

25. Jon Fogarty – 54

30. Guy Cosmo – 46

1. No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing – 218

2. No. 5 Action Express Racing – 213

3. No. 42 Oak Racing – 208

4. No. 90 Spirit of Daytona – 207

5. No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing – 192

11. No. 31 Marsh Racing – 138

12. No. 9 Action Express Racing – 84

18. GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing – 14
1. Chevrolet – 231

2. Ford – 218

3. Nissan – 215

4. Honda – 204

5. Mazda – 188

Brickyard Grand Prix – TUDOR Championship (all times ET)

· TUDOR Championship Warmup: 2 p.m., Friday, July 25

· Brickyard Grand Prix: 5:45 p.m., Friday, July 25

· TV: 5:30 p.m. ET (Live, FOX Sports 1), Friday, July 25
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc.