Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2022, 6:22pm   #1
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 102,738, Level: 100
Activity: 17.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 54,838
Thanks: 28,418
Thanked 9,439 Times in 4,903 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default O2 sensors.......

I have headers on my aluminum heads, SBC DPFI LT1 injection, and some time ago I put a heated O2 sensor in the pass side collector......engine not been right for some time....black plugs running rich...all on a fresh build....

SO I got to messing with it this afternoon, and noted the O2 sensor was staying around 600-800 mv reading range, measured by my DVM at the sensor wire to the computer......the heater read wide open no resistance....the NEW one is about 5-6 ohms resistance.....

SO does the heater in the O2 sensor get a full 12 volts to it?? or run off a lower voltage.......??

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 6:25pm   #2
aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Points: 72,072, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
aerovette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: It's insulting when liberals think we're as stupid as they are.
Posts: 30,781
Thanks: 11,640
Thanked 23,563 Times in 9,330 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
I have headers on my aluminum heads, SBC DPFI LT1 injection, and some time ago I put a heated O2 sensor in the pass side collector......engine not been right for some time....black plugs running rich...all on a fresh build....

SO I got to messing with it this afternoon, and noted the O2 sensor was staying around 600-800 mv reading range, measured by my DVM at the sensor wire to the computer......the heater read wide open no resistance....the NEW one is about 5-6 ohms resistance.....

SO does the heater in the O2 sensor get a full 12 volts to it?? or run off a lower voltage.......??

You may want to consider the "dummy" O2 sensors that are used by tuners. It may be worth it to eliminate them as a source of the problem. A correct fake signal from a dummy sensor will either resolve the problem or let you investigate other systems without their influence.
aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 6:31pm   #3
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Points: 22,187, Level: 100
Activity: 81.3%
 
Rodnok1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,591
Thanks: 2,772
Thanked 14,941 Times in 5,492 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482
Default

Until they warm up o2 sensors not utilized, heating is just to get them hotter quicker so vehicle can utilize them for lean/rich. With a live scanner ypu can watch the sensors, depends where sensor is movement speed, frt usually rapidly move, further back slower they move.
Does your system require heated or non heated sensors as wiring is different.
I'd have to check voltage supplied to them in a manual.



https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/h...en-sensor.html
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 6:41pm   #4
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 102,738, Level: 100
Activity: 17.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 54,838
Thanks: 28,418
Thanked 9,439 Times in 4,903 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
You may want to consider the "dummy" O2 sensors that are used by tuners. It may be worth it to eliminate them as a source of the problem. A correct fake signal from a dummy sensor will either resolve the problem or let you investigate other systems without their influence.
so to set the voltage at say 400 mv ?? interesting......a couple of resistors off a power source...can a capacitor to ground to smooth the signal......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 6:48pm   #5
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Points: 22,187, Level: 100
Activity: 81.3%
 
Rodnok1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,591
Thanks: 2,772
Thanked 14,941 Times in 5,492 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482
Default

If you th ink one is bad and that side fouling plugs switch the sensors see if problem follows the switch. Easier to watch output or just unhook them as it'll stay open loop since no input from sensors i believe.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 7:52pm   #6
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 102,738, Level: 100
Activity: 17.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 54,838
Thanks: 28,418
Thanked 9,439 Times in 4,903 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
If you th ink one is bad and that side fouling plugs switch the sensors see if problem follows the switch. Easier to watch output or just unhook them as it'll stay open loop since no input from sensors i believe.
There is only one O2 sensor for the entire engine.....located in the pass side header collector......
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 8:25pm   #7
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Points: 145,049, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
snide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: I could never live there.
Posts: 188,443
Thanks: 152,369
Thanked 25,879 Times in 12,152 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
There is only one O2 sensor for the entire engine.....located in the pass side header collector......
Well, shit. No wonder you can't get Frankenvette to run!
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:08pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2022 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page