Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2015, 6:52pm   #81
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 94,020, Level: 100
Activity: 32.9%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 52,288
Thanks: 26,666
Thanked 8,570 Times in 4,580 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post


Sorry...but I'm damn tired of seeing inflated prices at the pump and then reading about record profits by the big oil companies. I have zero sympathy. I've seen a $.15 per gallon drop around here and I couldn't be happier.

And yes...I know all about the "cost of gas" and "cost of exploration" and all that crap that's tied into profit...but you know what? I don't give a shit. Let's see $1.50 per gallon...I want to feel like I'm 35 again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Interest rates are low, and will remain low, because the largest borrower in the US, the US government, can barely make the interest payments on the national debt with interest rates around zero. If the Fed allowed interest rates to rise to say, 10%......well, Uncle Sam would officially have to throw in the towel, quantitative easing (printing money) or not.
Gas station operators make between 7-12 cents/gallon on gas....barely pays the overhead, they need to sell shit in the store to survive....
Gas companies make about the same......by time all the BS is over with....

IMO, WE prohibit ALL oil imports or exports, tell the islamics to go to HELL....we good for some 200 years on oil alone.....

by then we have another source of energy, ......

edit, Yeh IC, I love to be 35 again.....
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 6:57pm   #82
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 140,892, Level: 100
Activity: 18.2%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - REHO BEACH DELAWARE
Posts: 42,189
Thanks: 6,318
Thanked 10,530 Times in 6,326 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
IMO, WE prohibit ALL oil imports or exports, tell the islamics to go to HELL....we good for some 200 years on oil alone.....

by then we have another source of energy, ......

edit, Yeh IC, I love to be 35 again.....
Thank you.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 7:03pm   #83
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 140,892, Level: 100
Activity: 18.2%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - REHO BEACH DELAWARE
Posts: 42,189
Thanks: 6,318
Thanked 10,530 Times in 6,326 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
You are looking at ONLY American issues. Globally many other issues are in play and most of th em are not good for long term American economic growth.
America and me is all I care about.
We're talking oil prices here. That is just one factor that is going to hurt the global economy.
We can tell the rest of the world to keep their oil and be just fine but that'll never happen.
What is happening is cyclical, not systemic. You can't have an economy running full tilt year after year. It's natural to have ebbs and flows.
Lower fuel prices will help the American consumer. That's all I'm saying.
The world economy is an entirely different ballgame.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 7:09pm   #84
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 48,305, Level: 100
Activity: 27.5%
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 33,729
Thanks: 17,313
Thanked 9,303 Times in 4,709 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
America and me is all I care about.
We're talking oil prices here. That is just one factor that is going to hurt the global economy.
We can tell the rest of the world to keep their oil and be just fine but that'll never happen.
What is happening is cyclical, not systemic. You can't have an economy running full tilt year after year. It's natural to have ebbs and flows.
Lower fuel prices will help the American consumer. That's all I'm saying.
The world economy is an entirely different ballgame.
Lower fuel prices, if the other factors wre not in play, would Help.

What is happening is that oil price are lower due to two factors. One is increased output to force American oil companies to shut down operations so the state owned companies of OPEC can keep us out of their market.

The second major driver of lower oil prices ihe world economy is slowing. The countries that buy from America no longer can buy from us since they are in resection.

Both are bad for the American worker and the economy.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 7:19pm   #85
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 140,892, Level: 100
Activity: 18.2%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - REHO BEACH DELAWARE
Posts: 42,189
Thanks: 6,318
Thanked 10,530 Times in 6,326 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post

The second major driver of lower oil prices ihe world economy is slowing. The countries that buy from CHINA no longer can buy from them since they are in resection.

Both are bad for the American worker and the economy.
*fixt

Who said anything about the US being in a recession?
Our economy has been really hot lately and a slowdown should be expected. Autos, housing, Apple, Steel, the job market, except for that one guy, etc all are chugging right along.
I see interest rates going up a half a point very soon.
That will get the housing market going even more, as people sitting on the sidelines will be forced to move, as the specter of further hikes may put them out of the market.
We do see things a bit differently and I don't disagree with all of your points.
We can speculate all we want but only time will tell.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 7:28pm   #86
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 48,305, Level: 100
Activity: 27.5%
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 33,729
Thanks: 17,313
Thanked 9,303 Times in 4,709 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
*fixt

Who said anything about the US being in a recession?
Our economy has been really hot lately and a slowdown should be expected. Autos, housing, Apple, Steel, the job market, except for that one guy, etc all are chugging right along.
I see interest rates going up a half a point very soon.
That will get the housing market going even more, as people sitting on the sidelines will be forced to move, as the specter of further hikes may put them out of the market.
We do see things a bit differently and I don't disagree with all of your points.
We can speculate all we want but only time will tell.
If you think the American economy is "Hot" then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for the conversation.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 7:30pm   #87
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 140,892, Level: 100
Activity: 18.2%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - REHO BEACH DELAWARE
Posts: 42,189
Thanks: 6,318
Thanked 10,530 Times in 6,326 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
If you think the American economy is "Hot" then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for the conversation.
Ok, well steadily growing. Hot is not the right word.
The stock market is hot.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 7:51pm   #88
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 48,305, Level: 100
Activity: 27.5%
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 33,729
Thanks: 17,313
Thanked 9,303 Times in 4,709 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Ok, well steadily growing. Hot is not the right word.
The stock market is hot.
The stock market is being driven by QE XXX. It's a bubble once the money turns off. I can borrow money at around 1% and get around a 4-5 % return in the market. That's whats driving it.

The America Economy was in a bubble from 1945 until the mid 70's. The it burst. we had a resurgence in the 1980's when we massively changed the way we did business and went toe to toe with te world. We lost that in the 1990's and we are and will continue to struggle until we recognize that being a consumer based economy is not going to work long term.

We NEED GDP growth of at least 4.5% just to give the American kids coming into the market place a job. We have been way below tat for the last ten years.

US GDP Growth Rate by Year

We have 100 MILLION Americans living in home collecting means tested welfare while we have 15 MILLION Illegals doing work their lazy ass parents should be doing.

Our biggest and best corporations, like Apple, keep heir profit overseas and invest in India, China, Malaysia and other places because the ROI for bring the money back to the USA sucks.

We are in a moribund economy , much like Europe, and we are there simply because we do not use capital efficiently.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 6:54pm   #89
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 64,785, Level: 100
Activity: 10.6%
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brains and bewbs. The motherload.
Posts: 34,794
Thanks: 15,992
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,250 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365
Default

So why did the gas prices here jump up by 31 cents per gallon? $2.18 yesterday and $2.49 today. Why are premium prices all over the place? From a low of $2.65 to a high of $3.19.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 6:58pm   #90
NavyC5
Barn Stall Owner #85
Points: 9,102, Level: 66
Activity: 21.5%
 
NavyC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,802
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,414 Times in 493 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $109805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlton_fritz View Post
So why did the gas prices here jump up by 31 cents per gallon? $2.18 yesterday and $2.49 today. Why are premium prices all over the place? From a low of $2.65 to a high of $3.19.
Still trying to figure that one. Drove over to the DMV on Thurs to pay the taxes on my truck. Drove my the station...$2.42 a gallon for diesel. Thinking, "great, I'll fuel on my way home". Two hours later, same station, $2.56
NavyC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 6:59pm   #91
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 64,785, Level: 100
Activity: 10.6%
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brains and bewbs. The motherload.
Posts: 34,794
Thanks: 15,992
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,250 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyC5 View Post
Still trying to figure that one. Drove over to the DMV on Thurs to pay the taxes on my truck. Drove my the station...$2.42 a gallon for diesel. Thinking, "great, I'll fuel on my way home". Two hours later, same station, $2.56
It's Jeff's fault.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 7:01pm   #92
NavyC5
Barn Stall Owner #85
Points: 9,102, Level: 66
Activity: 21.5%
 
NavyC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,802
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,414 Times in 493 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $109805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlton_fritz View Post
It's Jeff's fault.
Must be the hot economy
NavyC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NavyC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 7:21pm   #93
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 140,892, Level: 100
Activity: 18.2%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - REHO BEACH DELAWARE
Posts: 42,189
Thanks: 6,318
Thanked 10,530 Times in 6,326 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611
Default

Gas prices dropped in the two days that I went from Buffalo to Washington and back ans are down 12 a gallon here in WNY.
Just wait.... You'll see $2.00 regular by Christmas.
This stuff don't happen overnight.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 7:23pm   #94
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 64,785, Level: 100
Activity: 10.6%
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brains and bewbs. The motherload.
Posts: 34,794
Thanks: 15,992
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,250 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Gas prices dropped in the two days that I went from Buffalo to Washington and back ans are down 12 a gallon here in WNY.
Just wait.... You'll see $2.00 regular by Christmas.
This stuff don't happen overnight.
The price going up by 30+ cents does. It trickles down and then overnight they raise it back to where it was before the trickling down.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 7:49pm   #95
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 93,962, Level: 100
Activity: 34.9%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 42,994
Thanks: 21,494
Thanked 18,098 Times in 7,579 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlton_fritz View Post
The price going up by 30+ cents does. It trickles down and then overnight they raise it back to where it was before the trickling down.
It was explained to me from a SUNOCO exec who used to hang out at my friend's gun shop.

Any of the area managers can raise prices at any time for pretty much any reason.

Reducing prices requires a meeting and consensus of the majority of those in charge.


( that keep the lower management from sticking it to the company by dropping prices at the wrong time )
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 9:27pm   #96
Steve Austin
A Real Barner
Points: 11,645, Level: 74
Activity: 0%
 
Steve Austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,316
Thanks: 50
Thanked 605 Times in 409 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $612110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
*fixt

Who said anything about the US being in a recession?
Our economy has been really hot lately and a slowdown should be expected. Autos, housing, Apple, Steel, the job market, except for that one guy, etc all are chugging right along.
My 401k and IRA are doing well and local employment is up. Hard to bitch about that.
Steve Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 3:36am   #97
carlton_fritz
Barn Stall Owner #1991
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 64,785, Level: 100
Activity: 10.6%
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brains and bewbs. The motherload.
Posts: 34,794
Thanks: 15,992
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,250 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $43590365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
It was explained to me from a SUNOCO exec who used to hang out at my friend's gun shop.

Any of the area managers can raise prices at any time for pretty much any reason.

Reducing prices requires a meeting and consensus of the majority of those in charge.


( that keep the lower management from sticking it to the company by dropping prices at the wrong time )
Must be one area manager for every station of all brands.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 5:36am   #98
Rob
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #14
Barn Raising II,III Chef

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 63,326, Level: 100
Activity: 8.4%
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: between here and there
Posts: 22,633
Thanks: 8,106
Thanked 11,611 Times in 4,668 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17601606
Default

2.24 per gallon here this morning
__________________
This is my signature
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 5:57am   #99
Giraffe
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Points: 82,583, Level: 100
Activity: 27.0%
 
Giraffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bukkake ruined my carpet
Posts: 26,750
Thanks: 4,103
Thanked 11,757 Times in 5,295 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320
Default

I worked at an oil refinery welding pipe for three years which qualifies me to make this statement; gas is too fukin expensive. Bring back $1.50/gallon gas, I'd be in my 30's and its morning in America again.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 6:04am   #100
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 140,892, Level: 100
Activity: 18.2%
 
Jeff '79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WHERE I LAY MY HEAD IS HOME - REHO BEACH DELAWARE
Posts: 42,189
Thanks: 6,318
Thanked 10,530 Times in 6,326 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611
Default

Since this thread was started, a barrel of crude has fallen below $46.00, and was knocking on $45's door yesterday.
Oil is basically in a free fall right now.
Pump prices generally take a few weeks to catch up to the raw commodity prices.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:16am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2021 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page