Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2021, 7:49am   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,849 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default all smartphones to adopt USB-C ports for charging in an effort to reduce e-waste

The European Commission shook the iPhone world to its roots this week, announcing a new policy that would require all smartphones to adopt USB-C ports for charging.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/24/2...ng-mfi-magsafe

Apple, of course, doesn’t offer a USB-C iPhone, having argued to the European Commission in the past that “Legislation would have a direct negative impact by disrupting the hundreds of millions of active devices and accessories used by our European customers and even more Apple customers worldwide, creating an unprecedented volume of electronic waste and greatly inconveniencing users.”

Switching to USB-C, Apple says, would actually be more wasteful than sticking with Lightning, since customers would need new cables and adapters — despite the fact that Apple already offers USB-C ports on its iPads and its MacBooks and has managed to switch over those popular products without major issues or customer revolts.

Notably absent from Apple’s argument, though, is the fact that cutting out a Lightning port on an iPhone wouldn’t just create more e-waste (if you buy Apple’s logic) or inconvenience its customers. It also means that Apple would lose out on the revenue it makes from every Lightning cable and accessory that works with the iPhone, Apple-made or not — along with the control it has over what kinds of hardware does (or doesn’t) get to exist for the iPhone and which companies get to make them.

Apple’s MFi program means that if you want to plug anything into an iPhone, be it charger or adapter or accessory, you have to go through Apple. And Apple takes a cut of every one of those devices, too.

Want to connect an external display? You’ll need an Apple-approved adapter. Import photos and videos from an SD card or flash drive? An Apple-approved adapter. Want to use a DAC to take advantage of Apple Music’s new hi-res lossless audio? Again, you’ll either need an MFi device or an Apple-approved USB dongle.

The same, of course, isn’t true of Apple’s USB-C-based devices, which have a robust ecosystem that can broadly be defined as virtually every product that uses USB-C. With a USB-C iPad, you can simply plug in flash drives and keyboards and displays and any number of useful additions that make those devices better. Apple even made a point of that fact during its latest keynote when announcing the new iPad Mini. And of course, USB-C iPads can be charged by any standard USB-C cable that’s capable of putting out enough wattage.

The European Commission's rule could theoretically do the same for iPhones by forcing into existence the USB-C iPhone that Apple has adamantly refused to make thus far. But the new change may mean that Apple could shift towards (or accelerate its plans for) a completely portless iPhone instead. Rather than give into USB-C ports, the company could eschew ports entirely in order to shift customers towards using its proprietary charging methods.

Switching to USB-C, a standard that’s used by virtually every other major tech product (including many of Apple’s own, like its recent MacBook and IPad lineups) would make sense. The iPhone is possibly the most popular device in the world that uses a proprietary charger, and a switch to USB-C would simplify charging setups for the millions of iPhone owners around the world. And USB-C would still allow for similar waterproofing, data transfer, and charging speeds compared to Lightning (as evidenced by any number of Android phones or Apple’s iPads.) There’s a reason the European Commission is looking to institute the new change, after all.

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 8:50am   #2
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 55.0%

Thanked 18,529 Times in 8,179 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
Apple, of course, doesn’t offer a USB-C iPhone, having argued to the European Commission in the past that “Legislation would have a direct negative impact by disrupting the hundreds of millions of active devices and accessories used by our European customers and even more Apple customers worldwide, creating an unprecedented volume of electronic waste and greatly inconveniencing users.”

Switching to USB-C, Apple says, would actually be more wasteful than sticking with Lightning, since customers would need new cables and adapters — despite the fact that Apple already offers USB-C ports on its iPads and its MacBooks and has managed to switch over those popular products without major issues or customer revolts.
Except Apple is the one who keeps switching the connectors on its iPhones and iPods in order to sell more proprietary cables and accessories. Where was its concern for e-waste then?

**** Apple.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 11:57am   #3
73sbVert
Barn Stall Owner #20
Barn Stall Owner #33

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'13,'14,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,957 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $988270

Yup. "Proprietary" is the exact reason I hate Apple, and never own anything made by them.
I'm forced to use a iPhone for work, but I use it only minimally. Everything else I do on my own Android/Samsung phone.

**** Apple indeed!
73sbVert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 73sbVert For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 11:59am   #4
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 57.9%

Thanked 23,893 Times in 9,916 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Of course none of us remember all the proprietary cell chargers of the past.... Apple is the only one IIRC who didn't adopt a standard plug.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 1:42pm   #5
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 3:51pm   #6
sublime1996525
A Real Barner
Activity: 10.1%

Thanked 6,657 Times in 2,981 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1008643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
That guy is a genius.
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 4:55pm   #7
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,610 Times in 13,602 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I read this thread yesterday and as of right now, I am unable to determine why this matters.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 7:17pm   #8
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 19.1%

Thanked 4,378 Times in 2,398 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

I don't do mobile phones (or whatever you people call them these days) but if I did I'd prefer stand alone for the security aspect. Plug one into a computer and you have no idea what is happening to it outside of the battery. You could be set up to spend the rest of your life in prison faster than you can snap your fingers.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 9:54am   #9
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
I read this thread yesterday and as of right now, I am unable to determine why this matters.
the AlGore nazi's have a 3 hr PowerPoint presentation for ya; it ends with the need to
raise taxes and limit freedoms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic