Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2020, 3:21pm   #1
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,655 Times in 11,659 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default So, I had to fire somebody today.

Helluva day, i tell you. Helluva day. I start off by having to come in late because these new bifocals aren't set right and I needed to have them made with the far/near line set lower. No biggie.

anyway, on my way in I get a message from my full timer that my student tech is waiting for me in the hallway and that he's being fired. No problem. i go in the back door of the office through an access tunnel (this college campus used to be a mall), get everything situated, check my email, and check the jobs in my trouble ticket queue. Nothing, so I step out to find this guy waiting on me.

Asked what's up and he wanted to talk in the Student Worker Hiring Coordinators office with him present. No problem. Kid asks me to state what my issues are with him first and I tell him to speak his mind since he wanted to have this sit down. My god, I haven't heard so much bullshit in such a short period of time since AF2 and Chas were on the forums. I'm also not a fan of micromanagement, doing half the job, and having to retrain the tasks multiple times when the instructions and check list are available int he K-base I keep and update regularly. This kid accused me of expecting too much of a student technician like he should have had 15+ years experience int he field like most of my team does. He had to take the hardware and software basics class here at the college to even get me to look at his resume, but couldn't even plug HDMI cables into the right ports for a 2nd monitor when they were labeled HDMI Out or HDMI In Other things were worse. The final straw happened in a class room and we were having issues at the power outlet. Two computers were next to each other, my full time guy was under the desk messing with wiring and told him specifically which computer to check for signs of life. This kid checks the computer next to it, but has the power cable in his hand...not plugged in. That's when shit hit the fan this morning.

My full time guy was accused of some bad shit and making the work environment more hostile than a Koko thread bragging about the 96 CE PosOTY. And to top it off, the kid sent a scathing email to HR.

I'm not worried about it because I know my team and what lines they won't cross as far as professionalism and common courtesy on the job site goes. it's pretty much he said-he said at this point and I'm absolutely defending my full time employee who WAS this kids supervisor.

so, believe it or not, I didn't tell this kid to STFU and eat a bag of dicks. i wanted too, but didn't instead, my response was, "Well, I need to take a look at some processes in my shop and I don't think it would be mutually beneficial for you to continue your employment with me."

Now let's see what happens because of his HR email. I got to read it and it's honestly about 90% bullshit. The other 10% is nothing to worry about. Went to see my boss about this in so he wouldn't be blindsided in case he got a call from HR, but this kid I fired is going for a law degree after he graduates and nit-picks anything. I'm interested to see what happens, but i think nothing will happen.

/rant

Cliffs: i fired an incompetent student computer technician. He bitched, complained, and wrote email to HR about it that was 90% bullshit. Waiting to see what happens.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 3:23pm   #2
z06psi
Barn Stall Owner #∞
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,285 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $34677

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Helluva day, i tell you. Helluva day. I start off by having to come in late because these new bifocals aren't set right and I needed to have them made with the far/near line set lower. No biggie.

anyway, on my way in I get a message from my full timer that my student tech is waiting for me in the hallway and that he's being fired. No problem. i go in the back door of the office through an access tunnel (this college campus used to be a mall), get everything situated, check my email, and check the jobs in my trouble ticket queue. Nothing, so I step out to find this guy waiting on me.

Asked what's up and he wanted to talk in the Student Worker Hiring Coordinators office with him present. No problem. Kid asks me to state what my issues are with him first and I tell him to speak his mind since he wanted to have this sit down. My god, I haven't heard so much bullshit in such a short period of time since AF2 and Chas were on the forums. I'm also not a fan of micromanagement, doing half the job, and having to retrain the tasks multiple times when the instructions and check list are available int he K-base I keep and update regularly. This kid accused me of expecting too much of a student technician like he should have had 15+ years experience int he field like most of my team does. He had to take the hardware and software basics class here at the college to even get me to look at his resume, but couldn't even plug HDMI cables into the right ports for a 2nd monitor when they were labeled HDMI Out or HDMI In Other things were worse. The final straw happened in a class room and we were having issues at the power outlet. Two computers were next to each other, my full time guy was under the desk messing with wiring and told him specifically which computer to check for signs of life. This kid checks the computer next to it, but has the power cable in his hand...not plugged in. That's when shit hit the fan this morning.

My full time guy was accused of some bad shit and making the work environment more hostile than a Koko thread bragging about the 96 CE PosOTY. And to top it off, the kid sent a scathing email to HR.

I'm not worried about it because I know my team and what lines they won't cross as far as professionalism and common courtesy on the job site goes. it's pretty much he said-he said at this point and I'm absolutely defending my full time employee who WAS this kids supervisor.

so, believe it or not, I didn't tell this kid to STFU and eat a bag of dicks. i wanted too, but didn't instead, my response was, "Well, I need to take a look at some processes in my shop and I don't think it would be mutually beneficial for you to continue your employment with me."

Now let's see what happens because of his HR email. I got to read it and it's honestly about 90% bullshit. The other 10% is nothing to worry about. Went to see my boss about this in so he wouldn't be blindsided in case he got a call from HR, but this kid I fired is going for a law degree after he graduates and nit-picks anything. I'm interested to see what happens, but i think nothing will happen.

/rant

Cliffs: i fired an incompetent student computer technician. He bitched, complained, and wrote email to HR about it that was 90% bullshit. Waiting to see what happens.
Suck it up buttercup. Part of your paycheck.
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 3:25pm   #3
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06psi View Post
Suck it up buttercup. Part of your paycheck.
I know that and I'm not worried about it. It's just business to me. Just curious to see what HR does with the email they received.
Old 01-16-2020, 3:34pm   #4
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 39.9%

Thanked 18,441 Times in 8,125 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Didn't read, but I'm assuming his palms were not turned up.
dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 3:36pm   #5
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
I know that and I'm not worried about it. It's just business to me. Just curious to see what HR does with the email they received.
How much of a pay increase are you expecting?
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 3:37pm   #6
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
BTW, I see you got a new keyboard.

snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 3:44pm   #7
Egnalf
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,332 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $18284

fire someone on Christmas eve and get back to me.
Egnalf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Egnalf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 3:47pm   #8
bsmith
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,066 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002313

A snowflake college student?
I'm shocked
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bsmith For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 3:52pm   #9
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
How much of a pay increase are you expecting?
A big one when I hit the lottery this weekend. Here at work.... probably jsut an increase in work load

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
BTW, I see you got a new keyboard.

I took the time to pay attention to the spell check this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 3:53pm   #10
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnalf View Post
fire someone on Christmas eve and get back to me.
Was it done in person?
Old 01-16-2020, 3:58pm   #11
Egnalf
A Real Barner

Quote:
Was it done in person?
yup, called him into my office, had my feet up on the desk and a candy cigar in my moth. Told him I was gonna have to let him go because he was a terrible human.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Egnalf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 4:01pm   #12
FLEXjs
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.7%

Thanked 5,670 Times in 1,913 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12967

When I fire someone I don't have a discussion with them. What's the point?

You're fired, here's your package from HR. Bye now.
FLEXjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLEXjs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 4:07pm   #13
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
yup, called him into my office, had my feet up on the desk and a candy cigar in my moth. Told him I was gonna have to let him go because he was a terrible human.
Cut right to the chase, honest, and no bullshit. i like your approach.
Old 01-16-2020, 4:14pm   #14
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
When I fire someone I don't have a discussion with them. What's the point?

You're fired, here's your package from HR. Bye now.
I only had the discussion because I wanted to see what he had stated and what was sent to HR. During this discussion i said very little and told him that the reason written on the termination paperwork was accurate and I really don't want to or even have to explain it again.

Taht being said, i don't like having to fire people, but it's nothing personal..Just business. It's part of the job and I have to look out for my job, my other employees' jobs, my mission/requirements of my shop, etc....

when i first took over running the tech support department of this college campus 5+ years ago, nobody would call tech support for help because we were viewed as lazy and incompetent due to the previous crew who was here before me. Things drastically changed within the first month of me here and people noticed. Then as i hired my team it was even more noticeable and staff, admin, and faculty have thrown a fit when they heard my boss planned to rotate me to another campus that wasn't running as smooth. i'm proud of that, and because of how i manage my team/Know my team, I'm absolutely positive any of the acccusations emailed to HR by this kid were complete bullshit. my boss agrees with me unless there is some evidence proving otherwise. i guarantee none exists.

guess I'm just more pissed that I'm having to defend myself, my team, and my shop's reputation becauss some shit bag couldn't handle the job requirements.....at what is almost an entry level position. More like a paid internship that can turn into entry level.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 4:16pm   #15
Egnalf
A Real Barner

Quote:
Cut right to the chase, honest, and no bullshit. i like your approach.
I give my employees a lot of latitude to do the right thing. I understand that time to time, everyone has a bad day. When you have a bad day every day and blame others, you are the problem and need to go. At that point, there is no recourse, no redeeming, they just need to go. Why beleaguer the point?
The Following User Says Thank You to Egnalf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 4:25pm   #16
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.1%

Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,059 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
When I got fired, my boss wasn't quite so cavalier, but it was really a nothing. I knew it was coming, only a matter of when, not if. He actually came to my office, rather than calling me to his, he sat down, and told me it was over, and I was to go see HR for the details on my severance. No bullshit, no arguments, no "discussions". I appreciated his honesty and straight-forwardness.

So I walk to HR on my own, and the lady goes on for literally a half hour about all the wonderful things they are going to do for me, and I was like "WTF? You're firing me, just give me the information on the separation package and let me go home!", but no, I was too much of a ***** to say that. So I sat and listened to her spew the company line, and then I went home. **** 'em.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 4:45pm   #17
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 81.7%

Thanked 10,872 Times in 5,072 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

I used to hate when we had to fire someone....I always said as long as you never enjoy doing it you're ok.
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 4:58pm   #18
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
I used to hate when we had to fire someone....I always said as long as you never enjoy doing it you're ok.
I took a few management courses in college, and this topic came up in my Personnel Management class. The instructor said ideally it should not affect your emotions anymore than getting a cup of coffee. If it really bothers you ore if you really like it, management may not be the job for you.

04, I tend to agree with you on this topic. I think it should bother someone at least enough to start a thread on a car forum about it.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 5:05pm   #19
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.1%

Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,059 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
I took a few management courses in college, and this topic came up in my Personnel Management class. The instructor said ideally it should not affect your emotions anymore than getting a cup of coffee. If it really bothers you ore if you really like it, management may not be the job for you.

04, I tend to agree with you on this topic. I think it should bother someone at least enough to start a thread on a car forum about it.
Although I see your point, I'm not sure I would want to work for a boss that really felt the way that bolded describes.

In that job, I was expected to be an adult, and a professional, so was my boss. Part of that is the idea of "business is business". I know my boss fought to keep as much of his staff employed as long as he could (this was in the Obummer years), but when the end came for someone, it came. The "doing the right thing" part came BEORE the end. Once the end is reached, everyone needs to be a professional about it.

Hopefully the young man that DJ had to fire today will come to understand this as he matures.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 5:18pm   #20
Egnalf
A Real Barner

Quote:
I only had the discussion because I wanted to see what he had stated and what was sent to HR. During this discussion i said very little and told him that the reason written on the termination paperwork was accurate and I really don't want to or even have to explain it again.

Taht being said, i don't like having to fire people, but it's nothing personal..Just business. It's part of the job and I have to look out for my job, my other employees' jobs, my mission/requirements of my shop, etc....

when i first took over running the tech support department of this college campus 5+ years ago, nobody would call tech support for help because we were viewed as lazy and incompetent due to the previous crew who was here before me. Things drastically changed within the first month of me here and people noticed. Then as i hired my team it was even more noticeable and staff, admin, and faculty have thrown a fit when they heard my boss planned to rotate me to another campus that wasn't running as smooth. i'm proud of that, and because of how i manage my team/Know my team, I'm absolutely positive any of the acccusations emailed to HR by this kid were complete bullshit. my boss agrees with me unless there is some evidence proving otherwise. i guarantee none exists.

guess I'm just more pissed that I'm having to defend myself, my team, and my shop's reputation becauss some shit bag couldn't handle the job requirements.....at what is almost an entry level position. More like a paid internship that can turn into entry level.
you miss the whole point. they fired themselves by not acting properly or doing their work correctly. You are just carrying the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
When I got fired, my boss wasn't quite so cavalier, but it was really a nothing. I knew it was coming, only a matter of when, not if. He actually came to my office, rather than calling me to his, he sat down, and told me it was over, and I was to go see HR for the details on my severance. No bullshit, no arguments, no "discussions". I appreciated his honesty and straight-forwardness.

So I walk to HR on my own, and the lady goes on for literally a half hour about all the wonderful things they are going to do for me, and I was like "WTF? You're firing me, just give me the information on the separation package and let me go home!", but no, I was too much of a ***** to say that. So I sat and listened to her spew the company line, and then I went home. **** 'em.
downsizing or change in culture? doesn't sound like fired for poor performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
sometimes, when an employee just gets under your skin intentionally because they think they cant be fired, you get to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Although I see your point, I'm not sure I would want to work for a boss that really felt the way that bolded describes.

In that job, I was expected to be an adult, and a professional, so was my boss. Part of that is the idea of "business is business". I know my boss fought to keep as much of his staff employed as long as he could (this was in the Obummer years), but when the end came for someone, it came. The "doing the right thing" part came BEORE the end. Once the end is reached, everyone needs to be a professional about it.

Hopefully the young man that DJ had to fire today will come to understand this as he matures.
I hire skilled building trades guys/union. sometimes they like to play games and know it will lead to them being laid off or fired. Its a completely different game than professional office types. They are grown men, but sometimes act like boys for any number of reasons. Feelings simply aren't part of the equation for most.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic