Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2021, 8:17pm   #1
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 29.2%

Thanked 15,024 Times in 4,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001941
Default Ceramic Brake Pads / Unscientific Comparison

I am a big proponent of ceramic brake pads, I can't stand the dust produced by OEM pads.

I've put on about 300 miles since last wipe down of the wheels. Took these two shots today, the left I wiped down with a damp rag, the right, did not touch.

Very happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210511_163325669.jpg  

IMG_20210511_163347530.jpg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 8:31pm   #2
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 19.1%

Thanked 4,378 Times in 2,398 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

Tried them. Figured out I prefer the performance of organic pads. Maybe check them out again if I learn to slow down. That can happen
Torqaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 8:36pm   #3
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.1%

Thanked 23,894 Times in 9,917 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

I'm with you Norm, huge difference in crud build up on rims and i don't know about you but cleaning rims isn't real high on my desired to do list. I'd gave anything to have ceramic pads back when.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 3:19pm   #4
the new me
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I am under the impression that ceramics don't brake well until they are warm/hot. There are claims that when you have ceramic brakes you have to drive extra-conservatively until the brakes warm up. And that it might be a good idea to safely do some rapid stops to heat them up. The theoretical advantage (other than cleaner rims) is that the ceramic pads don't overheat/fade easily, if at all. Is any of this true?
the new me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 3:24pm   #5
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 47.5%

Thanked 10,980 Times in 5,122 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Bring back Asbestos
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 7:32pm   #6
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
Bantayan Kids '13,'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by the new me View Post
I am under the impression that ceramics don't brake well until they are warm/hot. There are claims that when you have ceramic brakes you have to drive extra-conservatively until the brakes warm up. And that it might be a good idea to safely do some rapid stops to heat them up. The theoretical advantage (other than cleaner rims) is that the ceramic pads don't overheat/fade easily, if at all. Is any of this true?
Far from having any technical advice, I've never heard of that and have never experienced any fade or having issues at all.

In a year and a half time, I ran at VIR three times, first time with OEM pads, 2nd & 3rd times with ceramics, same type of running, flat out and intense braking on turns, felt no difference between the two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 8:51pm   #7
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,400 Times in 4,253 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Far from having any technical advice, I've never heard of that and have never experienced any fade or having issues at all.

In a year and a half time, I ran at VIR three times, first time with OEM pads, 2nd & 3rd times with ceramics, same type of running, flat out and intense braking on turns, felt no difference between the two.
Then you either weren’t going fast enough or braking hard enough.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 8:53pm   #8
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
Bantayan Kids '13,'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Then you either weren’t going fast enough or braking hard enough.
For me it was, that's all that counts.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 6:25pm   #9
Lakeside49
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1345
Default Ceramic Brake Pads / Unscientific Comparison

“Ceramic” is a marketing gimmick. The aftermarket absolutely understands this. It is a fancy name for processed sand. We (an OEM) all use some of it in our friction pads as an inert ingredient that lightens, not lessens the ugly/corrosive dust. Brake pad formulations are a closely held trade secret for each OEM because of the heavy investment required to formulate, test, refine and optimize the front-to-rear stopping dynamics, including in hot and cold weather severe service on the actual vehicle that it is designed for. Getting the right balance is difficult (noise, heat fade, stopping distance, FMVSS pedal effort requirements which ONLY applies to the OEMs, dusting, durability, and 18 other criteria. Not a single aftermarket manufacturer even remotely comes close. They don’t have the motive, resources, or expertise - though, admittedly Federal Mogul’s aftermarket “Wagner” brake products (only) come closest as also being one of our OE friction/rotor suppliers.
Yes, free processed sand is usually a small measured part of at least our company’s (Ford) proprietary friction formulas as it has been for decades, but not as a gimmick and only when it complements the other 24 ingredients, and some of which are very expensive/highly effective and very likely not on the menu of the aftermarket pad formulations (I reluctantly refrain from mentioning them, which as automotive enthusiasts we have heard of, but would be quite surprised at their application, because it is highly proprietary - and, I don’t trust a Chinese company to not steal it).
Incidentally, we avoided the tempting cost-savings/favorable branding association to use more of it, partly because our data showed that ceramics were harder on rotors, shortening their lifespan without any offsetting benefit of increased stopping performance. That said, I don’t necessarily recommend against them - I don’t read about any particular safety issues. But, at least now you know it’s hype - and, that it’s demonstrated lighter brake dust benefits are probably offset by a decrease in other key friction product performance criteria. Regrettably, no free lunch here.

Btw, since without exception, 100% of ceramic is an abrasive substance to metal ... why has “ceramic” car wax/protection taken off? Would it not be associated with abrasiveness to paint? Feels like a stupid name for a polymer film - and, clear plastic compounds normally yellow under UV light/the sun as acknowledged by at least one manufacturer, who promises that it can be “easily removed” by rubbing the treated paint with isopropyl alcohol-soaked towels, then reapplying to restore the original shine. Thanks, but no thank you.
Lakeside49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeside49 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 6:36pm   #10
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.1%

Thanked 23,894 Times in 9,917 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

All I know is that rims are clean, car brakes as good as with others... I'm not racing it.
As far as being harder on rotors.. Okay as I'll trade that for not scrubbing the shit off my rims for hrs on end. I put 30 to 40k on brakes and replace them anyway as they're cheap for me.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 8:01pm   #11
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
Bantayan Kids '13,'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside49 View Post
“Ceramic” is a marketing gimmick. The aftermarket absolutely understands this. It is a fancy name for processed sand. We (an OEM) all use some of it in our friction pads as an inert ingredient that lightens, not lessens the ugly/corrosive dust. Brake pad formulations are a closely held trade secret for each OEM because of the heavy investment required to formulate, test, refine and optimize the front-to-rear stopping dynamics, including in hot and cold weather severe service on the actual vehicle that it is designed for. Getting the right balance is difficult (noise, heat fade, stopping distance, FMVSS pedal effort requirements which ONLY applies to the OEMs, dusting, durability, and 18 other criteria. Not a single aftermarket manufacturer even remotely comes close. They don’t have the motive, resources or expertise.
Yes, free processed sand is usually a small measured part of at least our company’s (Ford) proprietary friction formulas as it has been for decades, but not as a gimmick and only when it complements the other 24 ingredients, and some of which are very expensive/highly effective and very likely not on the menu of the aftermarket pad formulations (I reluctantly refrain from mentioning them, which as automotive enthusiasts we have heard of, but would be quite surprised at their application, because it is highly proprietary - and, I don’t trust a Chinese company to not steal it).
Incidentally, we avoided the tempting cost-savings/favorable branding association to use more of it, partly because our data showed that ceramics were harder on rotors, shortening their lifespan without any offsetting benefit of increased stopping performance. That said, I don’t necessarily recommend against them - I don’t read about any particular safety issues. But, at least now you know it’s hype - and, that it’s demonstrated lighter brake dust benefits are probably offset by a decrease in other key friction product performance criteria. Regrettably, no free lunch here.

Btw, since without exception, 100% of ceramic is an abrasive substance to metal ... why has “ceramic” car wax/protection taken off? Would it not be associated with abrasiveness to paint? Feels like a stupid name for a polymer film - and, clear plastic compounds normally yellow under UV light/the sun as acknowledged by at least one manufacturer, who promises that it can be “easily removed” by rubbing the treated paint with isopropyl alcohol-soaked towels, then reapplying to restore the original shine. Thanks, but no thank you.
Thanks for all the technical stuff and your opinion, it is duly noted. I have read all that jargon in the past. Right now for me, I really don't care what the bad affects the "ceramic" pads may do or not do.

I do know one thing, I've had these pads on for close to 40,000 miles now, I feel nothing that has adversely affected my braking, or anything aesthetic reference looks, staining or whatever else they are purported to do, and I should know, I see it every day.

I have more that half pad life left, and I'm not hard on breaking, down shift a lot, so my rotors will probably out live me.
Old 05-14-2021, 8:16pm   #12
Lakeside49
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1345

Good for you, sir.
Lakeside49 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic