Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 8:45pm   #1
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default Z06 Vert??

Okay folks... I have tried to resist bothering anyone with my silly dream question but with a windshield replacement from safelite and them ruining my weather stripping and brackets underneath, losing hardware and trying to send my '01 Z06 out the door with things for the most part epoxied to the car... They are ordering me all new brackets and weather stripping...

I want to ask those in the know if it is possible to make the Z a "hard top" vert like GB's or if my only option with the Z06 is to just order the coupe weather stripping and brackets and do a targa conversion? It would be AWESOME to have both but I am ignorant as to if the vert is possible with the Z06. It wasn't until recently that I realized that GB's gorgeous creation started life as a convertible.

I have been lucky enough to connect with illmac77. He was very kind and offered guidance if and when I was ready to make my girl a vert. I figured I would post up here before bothering him again with more silly questions as he seems to be blessed with a scad of little people running around keeping him busy.

If any of you kind folks have knowledge and wouldn't mind sharing it I would be so grateful!!! Hope everyone is doing well!

Taryn Brent
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 7:40am   #2
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 44,429, Level: 100
Activity: 9.5%
 
Bucwheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Best county in Ga.
Posts: 22,487
Thanks: 6,581
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152
Default

Hey Taryn,good to hear from you buddy,from what I have read it is possible,and there is a shop in NYC that does the conversion,but it is way expensive and don't think you will ever get your money back out of it.I would consider one of the new 427 verts out for 2013 ,same equiptment as the C-6Z except with a steel frame.Good to hear from you.
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 9:08am   #3
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucwheat View Post
Hey Taryn,good to hear from you buddy,from what I have read it is possible,and there is a shop in NYC that does the conversion,but it is way expensive and don't think you will ever get your money back out of it.I would consider one of the new 427 verts out for 2013 ,same equiptment as the C-6Z except with a steel frame.Good to hear from you.
Hey my friend! Very nice to get a response from you Those new verts are pretty darn awesome aren't they?! I really want a GB type sexy setup in my C5 Z06 though... It might seem crazy not really wanting to ever get rid of my C5 but I just love the car

I am ready to spend the winter tearing her up in whatever way I need to.... Just hoping Gary or someone that has gotten elbow deep in their C5 will chime in with some encouragement or tough love)

I hope things have been going great for you stranger
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 9:14am   #4
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 44,429, Level: 100
Activity: 9.5%
 
Bucwheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Best county in Ga.
Posts: 22,487
Thanks: 6,581
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152
Default

Been doing well sir,I am planning on picking up a new GS in the next few months,just waiting for the 2012's to come down in price when the market gets saturated with 2013's,been looking at Stingray Chevrolet in plant city,they have a great selection. Good luck on your transformation,know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of your C-5,Bucwheat has been the family 14 years.Good luck my friend,Bobby
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58am   #5
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Points: 50,770, Level: 100
Activity: 19.3%
 
Norm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 10,982
Thanks: 3,488
Thanked 8,459 Times in 2,803 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002006585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucwheat View Post
Been doing well sir,I am planning on picking up a new GS in the next few months,just waiting for the 2012's to come down in price when the market gets saturated with 2013's,been looking at Stingray Chevrolet in plant city,they have a great selection. Good luck on your transformation,know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of your C-5,Bucwheat has been the family 14 years.Good luck my friend,Bobby
Was at Mecum Kissimmee last Jan, stopped by Stingray, 100+ Vettes sitting on the lot, be patient, do your research, you'll find your deal.
__________________
CnC JCS USA USN USMC USCG USAF USSF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT
Thank You For Your Service
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01pm   #6
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default

Speakin of gorgeous rides....^^^^^^
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:58am   #7
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41
Points: 19,293, Level: 95
Activity: 0%
 
Sneaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: hagerstown, md
Posts: 5,816
Thanks: 1,206
Thanked 1,290 Times in 826 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8192878
Default

Get with GB Tdawg. He has already done this once before. Can't remember the members name, but they took his silver Z and turned it into a Z-vert.
Sneaks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 1:25pm   #8
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaks View Post
Get with GB Tdawg. He has already done this once before. Can't remember the members name, but they took his silver Z and turned it into a Z-vert.
How the heck are you my friend?! I am a newly wed as of May 25th and we just found out we are pregos!

I emailed Gary once recently after talking to him a few years ago about wanting to do this but I am sure he is super busy... Didn't want to keep spamming him

I think the silver Z you are talking about is Mike(Illmac77)... His vette looks great! I am hoping I can do the same thing but with a hardtop...

I hope you and yours are great Sneaky Sneak!
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 3:01pm   #9
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 44,429, Level: 100
Activity: 9.5%
 
Bucwheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Best county in Ga.
Posts: 22,487
Thanks: 6,581
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152
Default

Congrats Taryn on your marriage and little one.
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucwheat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 3:13pm   #10
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucwheat View Post
Congrats Taryn on your marriage and little one.
Hey Bobby! Thank you so much... I have never posted much over here but boy what a nice experience happening into awesome folks like I have in this short thread! I wish there was more activity over here... So I guess I will have to do my part in that...

I can't believe I am really going to be a dad! Still just seems like a dream The reality is though, if I want to do the GB treatment to my vette I have to attempt before this little bambino shows up as I am sure I will be spending all my money on cute little outfits to be worn for a month and such.. LOL

Here's a pic of us at a KC Royals game

That's as close as I can come to pulling out my wallet and abusing you with my dear to me pics Ill be back with little people pics hopefully in about 6-7 months

Last edited by tbrent; 09-21-2012 at 3:25pm.
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 5:17am   #11
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41
Points: 19,293, Level: 95
Activity: 0%
 
Sneaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: hagerstown, md
Posts: 5,816
Thanks: 1,206
Thanked 1,290 Times in 826 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8192878
Default

Congratulations man! You'll be a great Pops.
Sneaks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09am   #12
Toque
Charter Member
Points: 4,023, Level: 42
Activity: 0%
 
Toque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 114
Thanks: 4
Thanked 48 Times in 21 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent View Post
How the heck are you my friend?! I am a newly wed as of May 25th and we just found out we are pregos!
Congrats on preggo !
Its a cool feeling ! My son is just about to turn 8yrs old in a week. How time flies !

Mike (Illmac77) is a great guy to ask questions about cutting your top off !

Good luck on the project if you go thru with it !

Toque
Toque is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toque For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06am   #13
GB Vette
The Old Guy
Points: 62,624, Level: 100
Activity: 6.4%
 
GB Vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA.
Posts: 5,533
Thanks: 664
Thanked 767 Times in 384 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $804566
Default

Hey "T",

Sorry for the delayed response, been kinda busy lately.

To answer your question, YES you can do it

You will have to remove your current roof, you can cut it right at the front of the roll bar with a sabre saw and use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and get the front portion off of the windshield frame.

You will have to cut the roll bar with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder right at the base of the top. The roll bar needs to stay attached to roof so you'll have mounting points for your targa. Then you'll have to remove the rear portion with heat again to soften the adhesive. Set this aside, you'll be using it again.

You'll need two convertible tonneau covers (one with the hinges) if you truly want the best of both worlds. I can swap my roof with a tonneau cover in about twenty minutes if I want switch it back to a vert. I do not have a soft top installed because of my stereo setup. You will, also need the waterfall assembly with the center latch.

After you get everything removed mount the tonneau cover and hinges to you car. Then you have to start cutting and fitting the rear portion of your roof to the tonneau (you will need a targa top to do this with the front and rear latches installed).

Here's my original thread on CF - Another FRV (Fixed Roof Vert) in the works - Pics - Corvette Forum

FRV Update pics - Corvette Forum

A new halo cover for a coupe will be needed also as well some interior trim pieces.

There's more but, that's enough for now to keep those wheels turning
GB Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GB Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 1:16pm   #14
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Vette View Post
Hey "T",

Sorry for the delayed response, been kinda busy lately.

To answer your question, YES you can do it

You will have to remove your current roof, you can cut it right at the front of the roll bar with a sabre saw and use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and get the front portion off of the windshield frame.

You will have to cut the roll bar with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder right at the base of the top. The roll bar needs to stay attached to roof so you'll have mounting points for your targa. Then you'll have to remove the rear portion with heat again to soften the adhesive. Set this aside, you'll be using it again.

You'll need two convertible tonneau covers (one with the hinges) if you truly want the best of both worlds. I can swap my roof with a tonneau cover in about twenty minutes if I want switch it back to a vert. I do not have a soft top installed because of my stereo setup. You will, also need the waterfall assembly with the center latch.

After you get everything removed mount the tonneau cover and hinges to you car. Then you have to start cutting and fitting the rear portion of your roof to the tonneau (you will need a targa top to do this with the front and rear latches installed).

Here's my original thread on CF - Another FRV (Fixed Roof Vert) in the works - Pics - Corvette Forum

FRV Update pics - Corvette Forum

A new halo cover for a coupe will be needed also as well some interior trim pieces.

There's more but, that's enough for now to keep those wheels turning


GARY! Thank you thank you thank you! I read your post 4 times as your last line about the wheels turning was very accurate.. LOL.. I hope all is well with you and you have no idea how much I appreciate your help!

I actually had attempted to have safelite auto glass replace my windshield.. Big to do. They tried three times and in between breaking windshields from mishandling and trying to send a damaged one out the door installed in my vette. I got their best installer and he wouldn't sign his name off on the third attempt. (actually a great guy). Didn't want to put his name on it as the previous attempt at another safelite location lost hardware in the process of installing the bad windshield.. They lost screws that attach brackets to the car that the weather stripping attaches too?... They then attempted to epoxy those pieces to the car....

Now they have ordered all new brackets hardware and weather stripping... I contacted them and asked they could send back what they ordered so I could get the parts necessary for a coupe instead as I wanted to atleast do the targa conversion if I couldn't figure out if the whole shebang was possible So here is one more question then I can start to chip away over winter

I realize I will have to just buy some of the pieces like the back side targa piece that fastens to the rear portion of the roof but am I right that all the parts they have I need to just swap any part that would be used on the coupe that is different than the frc? I am not sure what parts those would be.. Sorry... I have a copy in my email of the parts manifest... I don't know if you would want to take a gander and then I can order up and not bother you til maybe holiday time if I have gotten a bunch of cutting done

Again.. Thanks so much for the time you have already given Gary. I'm so amped up!


If you want to just gimmie a shout anytime 816 825 8201... I promise not to keep you more than 5-10 minutes.... At this time I would say I probably owe you a KCFD t-shirt to help me earn some "Gary minutes"
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 1:37pm   #15
tbrent
Charter Member
Points: 7,109, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
 
tbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KcMo.
Posts: 41
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post
Congrats on preggo !
Its a cool feeling ! My son is just about to turn 8yrs old in a week. How time flies !

Mike (Illmac77) is a great guy to ask questions about cutting your top off !

Good luck on the project if you go thru with it !

Toque
8 already?! Man... Seems like you just posted a pic of him in the drivers seat where he barely can grab the steering wheel while sitting on the front edge of the seat! Thanks for the kind words too... Can't believe how lucky I am. And Mike seems to be a very kewl cat too... C5 is a lucky crowd with the guys that have wisdom so willing to share.. You too Toque
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 2:33am   #16
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default

Just leave it with Gary, I don't think I know anyone that takes apart C5's as much as he does. I am not sure if he eve likes showing or driving it anymore, I think he gets turned on by just taking his apart and putting it back together.
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page