Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C3 Corvette > C3 Open Discussion

C3 Open Discussion General and technical C3 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, restoration

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 1:16pm   #1
SoCalHavoc
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 2.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $75
bilmem Help help, I need an adult.

So I can't get my 77 'Vette to start. It was running, then just quit on me. I pulled the distributer cap and the points looked good. I brought the battery in to Auto Zone and it came back as bad, so I bought an Optima Red Top. I figured since the battery is right behind the driver seat, it can't hurt to not have the gasses inside the car with me when it charges while running. So I installed the battery thinking that I had the problem licked, but same as before. It will crank and crank and crank, but just won't fire. I know the basic rule of troubleshooting, it is either air, fuel, or gas. When I pump the gas (or open the throttle from under the hood), I get a good solid squirt of fuel. I tried it with the top of the air cover removed, so there shouldn't have been any air problem. That pretty much leaves spark. Like I said, the points looked good, and I have a brand new battery in her, but she won't catch. Has anybody had this problem before where she just decides to not start any more?

Thanks in advance for the help, and I am hoping for a nice easy, quick, and stupid fix.
SoCalHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 6:37pm   #2
SoCalHavoc
Vette Barn nOOb

Well, found out that she wasn't getting spark. My dad flew out to hang out with me so we pulled apart the distributor again, pulled off the rotor and found a couple of wires to the control module (?) that were loose. Runs like a scalded dog again, well a scalded dog with 185 hp. Now, to find an alignment shop out near Suffolk, VA. Does anybody have any ideas or know of any good shops this way?

Also, the alternator was sitting about an inch too far back. Does anybody have pictures of what the stock bracket and alternator are supposed to look like?

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:13pm   #3
wwomanC6
Charter Member
C6 Modulator
Barn Stall Owner #27

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 51.5%

Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,385 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100108568

Glad you were able to find the loose wires!

There are a few guys on here from the VA area. Hope they can point you to a good shop!

Bump ttt!
wwomanC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 9:34pm   #4
73sbVert
Barn Stall Owner #20
Barn Stall Owner #33

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'13,'14,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,955 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $988270

I had the same problem a few years ago with my 76 T/A. Control module shit the bed in the HEI. A great system, until it isn't!

Glad you're back on the road!

Unfortunately, I don't have a good pic of my alternator and mounts before I took off the OEM stuff. I can provide a pic of what a March serpentine conversion looks like though...

73sbVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 3:08pm   #5
SoCalHavoc
Vette Barn nOOb

March serpentine conversion huh? If you have the pic handy I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12am   #6
SoCalHavoc
Vette Barn nOOb

So, yeah. Stella is running great now, but once I started driving her around again the power steering pump started leaking. By leaking, I mean left a puddle on the dirt at my house. I moved her back into my shop, but can't keep the reservoir full for more than a day or 2. I have a new one, and after I get that on I need to get the front end aligned. It looks to be about 15 degrees out of alignment. A little more love and she will be back on the road... again. After that all gets done (and as long as I am not making circles in the ocean), I will be out to meet up with a few of my fellow 'Vette Barners out in Tidewater for the monthly cars and coffee meets.

The Vette Barn > C3 Corvette > C3 Open Discussion