Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10pm   #1
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Points: 23,439, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
PortDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gloucester Va
Posts: 4,619
Thanks: 1,108
Thanked 1,494 Times in 701 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $83
Default Two codes

P0410
P0128

What could cause them at the same time?

Any advice?
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46pm   #2
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Points: 29,161, Level: 100
Activity: 11.3%
 
Y2Kvert4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pewaukee,WI
Posts: 8,007
Thanks: 987
Thanked 4,534 Times in 2,079 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $36525284
Default

Normally, I'd say these two codes wouldn't be related, but googling the combo seems to indicate you're not the only one seeing these two codes in conjunction (not so much on a Vette, but OBDII code designations are mostly universal). So maybe there is a connection...

The P0128 is what you should attack first. It sets when the coolant temp doesn't get warm enough, or remains warm enough. It's there to indicate a faulty thermostat, but a bad temp sensor could also be the culprit. You can probably determine which by simply watching the coolant temp as the car warms up. The coolant temp should reach 167° within about 15 minutes of driving, and not fall below that point as long as it's running. If it's below that temp, this code will set. If the gauge/DIC seems to be giving a valid temp indication (meaning not dead or pegged), and it is just slow to warm up, then it's possible your thermostat is stuck open.

The P0410 is an AIR system code that affects both banks of the engine. It usually points to a problem with the air pump, or with the vacuum-actuated shutoff valve between the pump and check valves on the engine. How this code is thrown is by the PCM monitoring 02 sensor data. When the AIR pump is commanded on, there should be air pumped into the exhaust manifolds, and the PCM expects to see the 02 sensors reporting this leaner condition. When the 02 sensors (both sides) don't detect that additional air in the exhaust, this code is thrown.


The reason I suggest chasing the P0128 first, is because the PCM injects more fuel when the engine is cold, it runs richer, which could mask the (expected) lean condition provided by the air injection. If so, it seems possible the P0410 could be a result of that abnormal temperature, not it's own separate problem.

That's just my theory, and it could be "technically not possible", but I can't think of any other reason why these two codes might be related or set simultaneously.


Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 08:53am   #3
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Points: 23,439, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
PortDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gloucester Va
Posts: 4,619
Thanks: 1,108
Thanked 1,494 Times in 701 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Normally, I'd say these two codes wouldn't be related, but googling the combo seems to indicate you're not the only one seeing these two codes in conjunction (not so much on a Vette, but OBDII code designations are mostly universal). So maybe there is a connection...

The P0128 is what you should attack first. It sets when the coolant temp doesn't get warm enough, or remains warm enough. It's there to indicate a faulty thermostat, but a bad temp sensor could also be the culprit. You can probably determine which by simply watching the coolant temp as the car warms up. The coolant temp should reach 167 within about 15 minutes of driving, and not fall below that point as long as it's running. If it's below that temp, this code will set. If the gauge/DIC seems to be giving a valid temp indication (meaning not dead or pegged), and it is just slow to warm up, then it's possible your thermostat is stuck open.

The P0410 is an AIR system code that affects both banks of the engine. It usually points to a problem with the air pump, or with the vacuum-actuated shutoff valve between the pump and check valves on the engine. How this code is thrown is by the PCM monitoring 02 sensor data. When the AIR pump is commanded on, there should be air pumped into the exhaust manifolds, and the PCM expects to see the 02 sensors reporting this leaner condition. When the 02 sensors (both sides) don't detect that additional air in the exhaust, this code is thrown.


The reason I suggest chasing the P0128 first, is because the PCM injects more fuel when the engine is cold, it runs richer, which could mask the (expected) lean condition provided by the air injection. If so, it seems possible the P0410 could be a result of that abnormal temperature, not it's own separate problem.

That's just my theory, and it could be "technically not possible", but I can't think of any other reason why these two codes might be related or set simultaneously.


Good call on the Thermostat. It was coming apart. Thanks Tom!
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:29pm   #4
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Points: 29,161, Level: 100
Activity: 11.3%
 
Y2Kvert4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pewaukee,WI
Posts: 8,007
Thanks: 987
Thanked 4,534 Times in 2,079 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $36525284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
Good call on the Thermostat. It was coming apart. Thanks Tom!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Did the P0410 go away too?
Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40pm   #5
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Points: 23,439, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
PortDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gloucester Va
Posts: 4,619
Thanks: 1,108
Thanked 1,494 Times in 701 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Did the P0410 go away too?
So far...
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page