Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 4:43pm   #41
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default Can the GOP force a Repeal Vote in the Senate ?

How the GOP could force a repeal vote in the Senate.

Today

First Read - How the GOP could force a repeal vote in the Senate

Democratic leaders have vowed to prevent a measure to roll back the health care law from even coming to the Senate floor, but Republican leader Mitch McConnell "assured" the public yesterday that he would force a vote on repeal.

And there's a reasonable chance that he can pull it off.

"The Democratic leadership in the Senate doesn't want to vote on this bill," McConnell said in a YouTube video Wednesday.

"But I assure you, we will."

The chances of McConnell getting a straight up-or-down vote to repeal the law are slim.

But Republicans will likely force procedural votes that serve as a proxy of sorts to get their Democratic colleagues on the record.

Because any vote that would ultimately lead to repeal would require 60 or even 67 votes, no GOP-led efforts would actually pass the Senate.

But Republicans say they'll happily take the consolation prize that comes with an official roll call vote: the ability to force Senate Democrats who are up for re-election to vote again in support of a health care measure that remains unpopular in their home states.

There are two things McConnell could do that would all but ensure a vote tied to repealing the law.

First, McConnell could withhold any deals or agreements to proceed to any legislation without a guarantee of a repeal vote, effectively throwing sand in the Senate's procedural gears until the law is addressed.

Another way to force a vote is for McConnell or any Republican senator to offer a "motion to suspend the rules," essentially asking for a change in Senate rules to require a vote on a repeal amendment.
If all members are present, it would take 67 votes to succeed.

This was the rule Republican Sen. Tom Coburn used recently to force a vote to ban earmarks after Reid refused to bring the measure to the floor.
And there is nothing that prevents any senator from using this strategy.

Don Stewart, McConnell's spokesman, says it's unclear how soon the GOP leader will act or what strategy he will use.

For Republicans, negotiating the public relations fallout of the repeal effort could prove even trickier than choosing the right procedural chess moves to set it in motion.

Democrats are expected to counter the GOP strategy by emphasizing efforts to pass legislation to bolster the economy and painting Republican maneuvers to push repeal as costly obstructionism.

Reid previewed that battle plan in a written statement yesterday, as the House was taking up the repeal measure.

"This is nothing more than partisan grandstanding at a time when we should be working together to create jobs and strengthen the middle class," he said.

Bush neocon Mitch McConnell speaks to the Unites States of the GOP Party people ...

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 4:58pm   #42
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

Boehner and the Koch suckers need to stop lying...
Now just why the hell is the Boehner bunch and Koch suckers trying to repeal the Health Care Reform with their Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act when recent economist analysis shows HCR will create 250,000 - 400,000 jobs annually ?

REPORT: Health Care Reform Could Create 250,000 – 400,000 Jobs Annually

On Tuesday, Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE) characterized the administration’s efforts to pass health care reform as a “mistake”and argued that the nation would have been better served if Congress spent more time strengthening the economy and creating jobs. Well today,a new reportby David Cutler and Neeraj Sood suggests that health care reform would actually do just that. “One important way to create jobs is to slow the growth of medical spending,” the report argues. “If health care cost increases slow down, then businesses will find it more profitable to expand employment and workers will more readily move into those new jobs”:

Rising health care costs affect employment in two basic
ways. On the employer side, employer-paid health premiums are a cost of
business, just as wages and salaries are. Reducing the growth of
health insurance premiums would therefore enable employers to hire more
workers, according to economic theory, holding wages and other benefits
constant. On the worker side, most workers are willing to give up wage
and salary payments in order to receive employer-paid health insurance.
When health insurance premiums rise, therefore, workers who value health
insurance as part of the job are often willing to accept lower wages in
exchange for the higher benefits. Conversely, when costs fall,
a large part of the impact will be on higher wage and salary payments. A
major effect of health care reform that lowers employer premium growth
will therefore be to raise middle-class wages.

Cutler and Sood estimate that slowing premium growth would create between 250,000 and 400,000 jobs a year this decade:

estimate slowing premium growth create 250000 400000 jobs year decade

Wonk Room REPORT: Health Care Reform Could Create 250,000 – 400,000 Jobs Annually

=============================================================...

So it looks to me like the Boehner bunch is trying to kill Health Care Reform before it starts creating jobs because a good economy, quality affordable health care, and better employment for Americans would kill their plans to get back in the white house.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z06PDQ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 5:16pm   #43
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,566 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

ZO6pdq post above is the most absurd post I have ever read, ANYWHERE!!

and I don't give a shit what his source is, it's worse than useless.....

whole thing suffers from HUGE liberal mental health problems....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 7:06pm   #44
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,451 Times in 17,245 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
It's a tough call ... it's an even tougher call to exit the Middle East when we have a foothold now ... you forget that Bush changed the name of his doctrine / operations about 7 times before finally settling on the Global World War on Terror forever ...

That's a cop out. Obama had a mandate from the voters to stop the wars. That's what he ran on, and that's what he got elected to do. He got elected because voters didn't want 100 more years of war with McCain.

Hell, visit the "other" PR&C and see how many solid cons want to end the wars. It might surprise you.

And unlike the Pubs attempting to repeal ObamaCare, all O has to do is pick up the phone and tell a General, "Yo, that's it, Holmes. Wind that shit up and creep the homies back home so we can all kick it peace style".

O is a war criminal, JUST LIKE BUSH.

China has no "foothold in the Middle East" and they seem to be doing just fine.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 7:26pm   #45
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post

That's a cop out. Obama had a mandate from the voters to stop the wars. That's what he ran on, and that's what he got elected to do. He got elected because voters didn't want 100 more years of war with McCain.

Hell, visit the "other" PR&C and see how many solid cons want to end the wars. It might surprise you.

And unlike the Pubs attempting to repeal ObamaCare, all O has to do is pick up the phone and tell a General, "Yo, that's it, Holmes. Wind that shit up and creep the homies back home so we can all kick it peace style".

O is a war criminal, JUST LIKE BUSH.

China has no "foothold in the Middle East" and they seem to be doing just fine.
Have you ever read a(n) (International) War Crimes statute ?

When a leader of a nation commits war crimes ... every man, woman and child of that (criminal) nation is also a war criminal ...

Why do you think Lieberman stated this morning that Saddam had WMD's where Bush has already long lied about them and still harps on torture of terrorists (as not a war crime) so to *allocute* and/or dismiss himself from war crimes ?

BTW ... this thread is about healthcare and repeal so start a Paulie thread on your subjects ...
Old 01-20-2011, 7:46pm   #46
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
Still waiting for Obama to end the Iraq and Afghan wars, like he promised during the campaign....

Any idea what idiot morons campaigned against it?

Need a hint Einstein?
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 8:01pm   #47
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Any idea what idiot morons campaigned against it?

Need a hint Einstein?

Bob Barr, Libertarian and Chuck Baldwin, Constitution Party, both candidates for president in '08, campaigned on ending the wars, as did your guy.

OK, my guy (Chuck) lost. Your guy won. Why won't you hold your guy accountable for not keeping his campaign promise?

If my guy had won and let these wars fester on, I'd be mad as hell and would certainly let him know it.

It seemed like Libertarians and Democrats were on the same side of this issue, until O took office, then, well, I don't understand what happened.

Edit: Sorry, Exotix. Chas, I'd love to get into this, but I am hijacking, and I really don't want to. Post up an Obama war thread, and let's get ready to rumble!
Old 01-20-2011, 8:14pm   #48
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:

Bob Barr, Libertarian and Chuck Baldwin, Constitution Party, both candidates for president in '08, campaigned on ending the wars, as did your guy.

OK, my guy (Chuck) lost. Your guy won. Why won't you hold your guy accountable for not keeping his campaign promise?

If my guy had won and let these wars fester on, I'd be mad as hell and would certainly let him know it.

It seemed like Libertarians and Democrats were on the same side of this issue, until O took office, then, well, I don't understand what happened.

Edit: Sorry, Exotix. Chas, I'd love to get into this, but I am hijacking, and I really don't want to. Post up an Obama war thread, and let's get ready to rumble!

Patience grasshopper, patience.

What month into the Presidency is this?

Stay tuned partner, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Remember, you Pubs said he spent too long on Health Care and not enough on Jobs ... now you're worried about what?

Old 01-20-2011, 8:45pm   #49
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Patience grasshopper, patience.

What month into the Presidency is this?

Stay tuned partner, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Remember, you Pubs said he spent too long on Health Care and not enough on Jobs ... now you're worried about what?

Today Bohner has moved on to abortion ...

House Moves to Ban Federal Abortion Funding

Today

House Moves to Ban Federal Abortion Funding | The American Pundit

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) held a press conference today to discuss the introduction of the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” Pledge to America legislation that would codify the Hyde Amendment by permanently prohibiting taxpayer funding of abortion across all federal programs.
During his opening remarks, Speaker Boehner announced that he has directed that this bill receive the designation of H.R. 3 as “one of our highest legislative priorities.”

Following are Speaker Boehner’s opening remarks:

“Our new majority has pledged to listen and focus on the will of the people.
We’ve begun to carry out this commitment by cutting our own budget and repealing the job-destroying health care law.

“Today we’re here to talk about keeping another commitment to the people – and that is ensuring their tax dollars are never used to fund abortions.

“A ban on taxpayer funding of abortion is the will of the people and ought to be the law of the land.
But current law – particularly as enforced by this Administration – does not reflect the will of the people.

“Last year, we listened to the people through our America Speaking Out project, and they spoke out on this issue – loudly and clearly.
So we included it in our Pledge to America, and today we begin to make good on that commitment.

“Congressman Chris Smith has introduced bipartisan legislation that codifies the Hyde Amendment and other similar policies by permanently applying a ban on taxpayer funding of abortion across all federal programs.

“This common-sense legislation reflects the will of the people and deserves the support of the House.
It is one of our highest legislative priorities.
As such, I have directed that it receive the designation of H.R. 3.

I appreciate Congressman Smith’s steadfast leadership on this critical issue.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Exotix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 9:21pm   #50
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Today Bohner has moved on to abortion ...

House Moves to Ban Federal Abortion Funding

Today

House Moves to Ban Federal Abortion Funding | The American Pundit

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) held a press conference today to discuss the introduction of the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” Pledge to America legislation that would codify the Hyde Amendment by permanently prohibiting taxpayer funding of abortion across all federal programs.
During his opening remarks, Speaker Boehner announced that he has directed that this bill receive the designation of H.R. 3 as “one of our highest legislative priorities.”

Following are Speaker Boehner’s opening remarks:

“Our new majority has pledged to listen and focus on the will of the people.
We’ve begun to carry out this commitment by cutting our own budget and repealing the job-destroying health care law.

“Today we’re here to talk about keeping another commitment to the people – and that is ensuring their tax dollars are never used to fund abortions.

“A ban on taxpayer funding of abortion is the will of the people and ought to be the law of the land.
But current law – particularly as enforced by this Administration – does not reflect the will of the people.

“Last year, we listened to the people through our America Speaking Out project, and they spoke out on this issue – loudly and clearly.
So we included it in our Pledge to America, and today we begin to make good on that commitment.

“Congressman Chris Smith has introduced bipartisan legislation that codifies the Hyde Amendment and other similar policies by permanently applying a ban on taxpayer funding of abortion across all federal programs.

“This common-sense legislation reflects the will of the people and deserves the support of the House.
It is one of our highest legislative priorities.
As such, I have directed that it receive the designation of H.R. 3.

I appreciate Congressman Smith’s steadfast leadership on this critical issue.”
Well, anything they do to spend less is OK with me, but they need to quit pussyfooting around and bring out the big chain saws. My understanding is that federal funds don't directly pay for abortions anyway, so this is just so much window dressing. Hey Congress. Get your pencils back out and sharpen, damn it, sharpen!
Old 01-20-2011, 9:28pm   #51
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Well, anything they do to spend less is OK with me, but they need to quit pussyfooting around and bring out the big chain saws. My understanding is that federal funds don't directly pay for abortions anyway, so this is just so much window dressing. Hey Congress. Get your pencils back out and sharpen, damn it, sharpen!
... abortion is the most repulsively abhorrent notion when it comes to *conservative values* ... good luck with another *symbolic gesture* (R) wackos ...
Old 01-20-2011, 9:40pm   #52
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
ZO6pdq post above is the most absurd post I have ever read, ANYWHERE!!

and I don't give a shit what his source is, it's worse than useless.....

whole thing suffers from HUGE liberal mental health problems....

disprove it or go piss up a rope.
Old 01-20-2011, 9:42pm   #53
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
disprove it or go piss up a rope.
The post speaks for itself.....remind me in the morning, I going to take a hot shower and thaw out....

Thomas Edison

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
Old 01-20-2011, 9:44pm   #54
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Old 01-20-2011, 10:02pm   #55
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
... abortion is the most repulsively abhorrent notion when it comes to *conservative values* ... good luck with another *symbolic gesture* (R) wackos ...
So then, we agree. The House should be using its valuable time to cut, cut, cut the deficit instead of confronting social issues.

They need to address the iceburg before they do feng shui with the deck chairs.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13pm   #56
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
So then, we agree. The House should be using its valuable time to cut, cut, cut the deficit instead of confronting social issues.

They need to address the iceburg before they do feng shui with the deck chairs.
Since Bush, the (R)'s have been more wacked and bizzare and with each passing day ... good luck with that ...
Old 01-20-2011, 10:40pm   #57
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
Now just why the hell is the Boehner bunch and Koch suckers trying to repeal the Health Care Reform with their Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act when recent economist analysis shows HCR will create 250,000 - 400,000 jobs annually ?

REPORT: Health Care Reform Could Create 250,000 – 400,000 Jobs Annually

On Tuesday, Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE) characterized the administration’s efforts to pass health care reform as a “mistake”and argued that the nation would have been better served if Congress spent more time strengthening the economy and creating jobs. Well today,a new reportby David Cutler and Neeraj Sood suggests that health care reform would actually do just that. “One important way to create jobs is to slow the growth of medical spending,” the report argues. “If health care cost increases slow down, then businesses will find it more profitable to expand employment and workers will more readily move into those new jobs”:

Rising health care costs affect employment in two basic
ways. On the employer side, employer-paid health premiums are a cost of
business, just as wages and salaries are. Reducing the growth of
health insurance premiums would therefore enable employers to hire more
workers, according to economic theory, holding wages and other benefits
constant. On the worker side, most workers are willing to give up wage
and salary payments in order to receive employer-paid health insurance.
When health insurance premiums rise, therefore, workers who value health
insurance as part of the job are often willing to accept lower wages in
exchange for the higher benefits. Conversely, when costs fall,
a large part of the impact will be on higher wage and salary payments. A
major effect of health care reform that lowers employer premium growth
will therefore be to raise middle-class wages.

Cutler and Sood estimate that slowing premium growth would create between 250,000 and 400,000 jobs a year this decade:

estimate slowing premium growth create 250000 400000 jobs year decade

Wonk Room REPORT: Health Care Reform Could Create 250,000 – 400,000 Jobs Annually

=============================================================...

So it looks to me like the Boehner bunch is trying to kill Health Care Reform before it starts creating jobs because a good economy, quality affordable health care, and better employment for Americans would kill their plans to get back in the white house.
~300k 'new jobs' bought at the expense of the total collapse of the private insurance industry, as the Unemployment rate rises....

more .gov stupidity in administration.....buddy I seen it ALL over 40 years in that town....NONE of them worth a damn....

so guys like you look at totals and say 7% profit margin is excessive, like what you claim for the oil industry....and so bitch about management salaries that amount to maybe .01% of total income....and for that they get the headaches to return a scant 7%?? now don't split hairs here now between 709% or WHAT EVER, the killing point IS....the margins of well run companies are very slim.....

NOW, when dealing with the .gov a 4 hour visit to the hospital about 14 months ago for FOUR hours, and they stuck the .gov with a FIVE GRAND bill??

I guess that makes up for all the illegals and uninsured they taking care of??

how about just turn them out the way we USED TO, 50 years ago????

sorry, I not so ALL true i stick about supporting druggies illegals, and so forth....let them DIE on the spot, who cares??

life is tough hippie, get a hide or get skinned....

Thomas Edison

Old 02-01-2011, 7:49pm   #58
Exotix
Banned

Default Senate GOP to try to force health care repeal vote

Today

First Read - Senate GOP to try to force health care repeal vote

Democrats intend to introduce a "budget point of order" against the McConnell effort, using a procedural maneuver to prevent an up-or-down vote in favor of a kind of proxy vote instad.

In simple terms, there are several Senate rules that require certain bills to fall within specific fiscal constraints and not add to the deficit.

The Congressional Budget Office says the new health care law reduced the deficit by about than $130-billion in the first ten years and a trillion dollars over the second decade.

To repeal it, Democrats argue, would be to adding that money back to the deficit.

"It breaks the budget by a trillion dollars," Democrat Sen. Chuck Schumer told reporters earlier today of the Republican effort to repeal the health care bill.

"They don't show any way of making up that trillion dollars."

Republican Leader Mitch McConnell says all of his 47 members will vote for repeal, but Republicans would need to produce 60 votes to waive the point of order and advance to bill.

While it may not be the straight-up-or-down vote Republicans seek, GOP aides say it will serve some political purpose.

"Everybody will have the opportunity to be on [the] record," McConnell said.
"I think it will be clear who is for repeal and who isn't."

From NBC's Ken Strickland and Kelly O'Donnell

GOP sources tell NBC News that Republican Leader Mitch McConnell will try to force a Senate vote on the House-passed motion to repeal the health care reform law this week.

As early as today, McConnell will offer the repeal as an amendment to an unrelated aviation bill that the Senate is slated to consider this afternoon.

McConnell has pledged to use the rules of the Senate to push for a vote on repeal, although Democrats have some procedural tools at their disposal that could be used to prevent a final vote.

While it’s unlikely that the GOP will gain the Democratic support needed to garner enough votes for the measure to pass (and Obama could veto the measure even if it did), a repeal vote would force Democrats who are up for re-election in 2012 to go on the record in support of legislation which may not be popular in their home states.

Mitch McConnell's promise kept on ObamaCare

Today

Right Turn - Mitch McConnell's promise kept on ObamaCare

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday introduced a measure aimed at repealing the national health-care overhaul as an amendment to the first Senate bill of the new Congress.

McConnell proposed the repeal measure as an amendment to a Federal Aviation Administration funding bill.

The move came one day after a federal judge in Florida ruled that Congress had overstepped its authority by mandating insurance for nearly all Americans.

A vote could come as early as Wednesday, according to a Senate Democratic leadership aide.

According to my favorite Senate rule maven (hereinafter, "Rule Maven"), the amendment will prompt the Democrats to raise a point of order -- claiming, in effect, that "repealing a multi-trillion, multi-bureaucratic expansion of the government will add to the deficit."

So, Rule Maven says, Republicans will move "to waive the point of order (or 'poo,' in Senate parlance), which is a 60-vote threshold."

That vote likely will happen tomorrow.

Earlier today, McConnell announced in a press avail: "We pledged to the American people that we would seek to repeal this 2,700-page bill that seeks to restructure all of American health care and put the decisions in Washington.

I'm pleased to announce that all 47 of my members will be voting to repeal Obamacare."

Thirteen Democrats won't join them, and maybe none will.
But the process of pressuring vulnerable Democrats to go on the record in support of an unpopular, exorbitantly expensive and quite possibly unconstitutional statute has begun.

And McConnell will do it again and again for the next two years.

Old 02-01-2011, 8:01pm   #59
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office says the new health care law reduced the deficit by about than $130-billion in the first ten years and a trillion dollars over the second decade.
"reduced" = already has happened. (clearly not the case).
"could reduce" = Lib optimism (subject to opinion)
"aw fawk" = reality (most probable outcome).

A budget is a plan, it does not mean the plan always works.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 8:05pm   #60
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
"reduced" = already has happened. (clearly not the case).
"could reduce" = Lib optimism (subject to opinion)
"aw fawk" = reality (most probable outcome).

A budget is a plan, it does not mean the plan always works.

Sky-Falling and Raining Black Helicopters = Typical GOP Fear Tactics

Run Forest, Run With Little Red Riding Hood

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion