Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27pm   #61
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default Tucson Tea Party Leader ~ *We Won't Change Our Rhetoric After Giffords Shooting*

Just In

Tucson Tea Party Leader: We Won't Change Our Rhetoric After Giffords Shooting | TPMDC

A leader of a Tucson-area tea party group condemned the mass shooting in Arizona that included Rep. Gabriel Giffords (D-AZ), but told TPM that this doesn't mean her group is going to tone down their rhetoric: "I think anytime you start suppressing freedom of speech, I think it's wrong. I live here and I didn't hear anything [in the 2010 campaign] that concerned me in terms of inciting violence."

Allyson Miller, a founder of the 500-member Pima County Tea Party Patriots, told TPM in an interview today that the members of her group, as well as the entire city of Tucson, were "deeply saddened" by the events of today and said "there is no place for violence" in political debate.

"This is outrageous," she said.

Miller was quick to distance her group from the shooting and said that she felt she had to go on the defensive after news of the tragedy began to spread.

"I did feel, you know, very like 'why are they jumping to this conclusion before they even knew the person's name?'

They're jumping to this conclusion that it has to do with the hotly contested Congressional race," she said.
"Well, apparently, from what I've seen so far... it's looking like that's not the case."

The race she's referring to was between Giffords and Jesse Kelly, a tea party-backed Republican, who held one event in June that said "Get on Target for Victory in November Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly."

The suspect, now identified as Jared Loughner, left a trail of rambling YouTube videos on the internet, in some accusing the government of "mind control" and "brainwashing."

Miller said she knows the members of her tea party, who she called "reasonable individuals" closer to her age of 55 than the suspected shooter's 22.
She said she's never seen the suspect at an event.

"That's why we put out our press release [condemning the shooting] so quickly.
I just felt like all the fingers were pointed at the tea party."

There's one thing Miller didn't feel she needed to defend -- the heated rhetoric of the 2010 campaign against Giffords.

TPM asked if, after the shooting, Miller thought tea party activists in future campaigns should temper some of the tougher talk.

"There are people in society that are just going to do these things, unfortunately.
And then, what happens is, you know, in this case, people trying to use it to create further divisions between the right and the left.

I think it's irresponsible, in my opinion ... what it does is polarize people even further."

Miller said she hoped opponents of the tea party won't use the Giffords shooting to try to score political points against the movement.

"Well, I don't know what will happen, but I can only hope that will have the responsibility that they do not try to make this, you know, to cause more problems or to create more division. Because there's enough division in this country."

A number of other Tea Party leaders were similarly quick to condemn Loughner's actions, and disavow him as one of their own.

Judson Phillips, the founder of Tea Party Nation, condemned the shooting as a "terrorist attack" and wrote on the TPN site this afternoon (at the time he believed the erroneous reports that Giffords had been killed.

The post has since been updated): "Congressman Giffords was a liberal, but that does not matter now.
No one should be the victim of violence because of their political beliefs and certainly a member of Congress should not be shot and killed on a street corner."

But Phillips added that "no matter what the shooter's motivations where, the left is going to blame this on the Tea Party Movement.
Already on liberal websites, the far left is trying to accuse the Tea Party of being involved."

In another post, Phillips took things a step further: "The left has simply gone to far.
There can be no civil discourse with people as crazy as those on the left are.

What that says for the future of this country is tragic."

Patrick Beck, the head of the Mohave County Tea Party, told Dave Weigel that tea partiers might have to be more careful about their rhetoric, "but it makes it real difficult to speak when every few minutes you're giving a disclaimer.

'We have to fight back -- but, wait, I don't mean literally fight.'

Those words such as fight, and take back, and restore ... we know what we mean but we have to be clear what we mean, and in next few weeks, as this all plays out, people will be more understanding of that."

Beck added: "When we talk about Barack Obama, we've got to be clear, it's not personal.
When we say he's destroying this country we are not saying he's doing it out malicious intent and a desire to cripple us.
He has good intentions and he's wrong.
I worry when that gets lost."

CNN reports that Tea Party Express released a statement saying that "it is appalling that anyone would commit such unthinkable violence."

*These heinous crimes have no place in America, and they are especially grievous when committed against our elected officials.
Spirited debate is desirable in our country, but it only should be the clash of ideas.
An attack on anyone for political purposes, if that was a factor in this shooting, is an attack on the democratic process.

We join with everyone in vociferously condemning it*

DeAnn Hatch, a co-founder of the Tucson Tea Party, told the New York Times that though her group supported Giffords' opponent Jesse Kelly during the 2010 election, but had not protested against the Congresswoman before. "We don't think it's ours," Ms. Hatch said.

"I want to strongly, strongly say we absolutely do not advocate violence," she continued. "This is just a tragedy to no end."

Palin whips up the Tea Party crowd in Arizona

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:40pm   #62
Exotix
Banned

Default 2nd suspect sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
Authorities seeking second suspect ...
Gabrielle Giffords Shooting: Second Suspect Sought by Authorities - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517...me_and_courts/

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupkin told reporters law enforcement officials have photos of the potential second suspect ... a white male in his 50s ... in the case.

He would not go into further detail, other than to say authorities are looking for the suspect.
Old 01-09-2011, 8:27am   #63
Exotix
Banned

Default 9 year old victim was 9/11 baby

Christina Taylor Greene ~ Arizona Shooting Claims Life Of 9-Year-Old Born On 9/11

Today

Christina Taylor Greene: Arizona Shooting Claims Life Of 9-Year-Old Born On 9/11

Nine-year-old Christina Taylor Greene was among those killed in a tragic shooting in Tucson, Ariz. on Saturday.

The incident occurred at a public event held by U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in her home district.
Local NBC affiliate KVOA reports that family members say Christina, who was a student at Mesa Verde Elementary School, went to the event because she wanted to learn more about the world of politics.

The Arizona Republic reports:

A neighbor was going to the Giffords event and invited Christina along because she thought she would enjoy it, said her uncle, Greg Segalini.
Christina had just been elected to the student council at her school.

The event, held outside a Safeway supermarket north of Tucson, was an opportunity for constituents to meet Giffords and talk about any concerns they had related to the federal government.

Featured in the book Faces of Hope: Babies Born on 9/11 ...

Christina was described by family members as a vibrant individual and someone who was excited about life, according to KVOA.
The local outlet reports they called her "the best daughter in the world."

Segalini told the Republic that his niece was involved many extracurricular activities ranging from ballet to baseball.

KVOA notes that she loved the sport, as well as horseback riding and swimming.

"She was real special and real sweet," he said.

Christina Taylor Green

Old 01-09-2011, 9:01am   #64
Tinkerbell in Texas
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5233

Quote:
At least I don't run around on forums blaming you for Global Warming because of fish flopping out of the water ...

no you blamed me for birds falling out of the sky.
Tinkerbell in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 9:08am   #65
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell in Texas View Post
no you blamed me for birds falling out of the sky.
... don't forget the mass fish kill-off also ....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27am   #66
Exotix
Banned

Default Olbermann Special Comment

The Following User Says Thank You to Exotix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27am   #67
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

The time for condeming second amendment remidires is when it is seggested, not when it is executed.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31am   #68
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
The time for condeming second amendment remidires is when it is seggested, not when it is executed.
I've been watching Faux this morning ... haven't done so since it was clear there were no WMD's in Iraq ...

They're making every effort to assure their viewers that this mass murderer was an insane Lone Wolf and that is all ...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45am   #69
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
I've been watching Faux this morning ... haven't done so since it was clear there were no WMD's in Iraq ...

They're making every effort to assure their viewers that this mass murderer was an insane Lone Wolf and that is all ...
Deny Acountability, thats all they do.

Really Sad, I'm ashamed of the Republican Party for not stepping up and being responsible Adults.

I bet many on this forum will rush to defend this idiots rights.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00am   #70
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Deny Acountability, thats all they do.

Really Sad, I'm ashamed of the Republican Party for not stepping up and being responsible Adults.

I bet many on this forum will rush to defend this idiots rights.
I had to turn Faux off ... it was getting despicable ...

I don't think Faux and the other right-wing (extremeist) punditry figured the commencement of the right-wing revolution counted on this kind of rampage as being a *noble uprising* ...

Attempted murder of a moderate democrat (most likely permanantly brain-damaged for life) and killing a 9 year-old 9/11 baby and random grocery shoppers is more al-queadist than *Taking the Country Back* ... maybe it doesn't make any difference ...

Sad.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:21am   #71
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
I had to turn Faux off ... it was getting despicable ...

I don't think Faux and the other right-wing (extremeist) punditry figured the commencement of the right-wing revolution counted on this kind of rampage as being a *noble uprising* ...

Attempted murder of a moderate democrat (most likely permanantly brain-damaged for life) and killing a 9 year-old 9/11 baby and random grocery shoppers is more al-queadist than *Taking the Country Back* ... maybe it doesn't make any difference ...

Sad.
The silence is defining, thats the real problem. Sad.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30am   #72
Exotix
Banned

Default 2nd suspect sought

Quote:
Gabrielle Giffords Shooting: Second Suspect Sought by Authorities - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

Cops hunt 2nd suspect in deadly Ariz. rampage - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupkin told reporters law enforcement officials have photos of the potential second suspect ... a white male in his 50s ... in the case.

He would not go into further detail, other than to say authorities are looking for the suspect.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:39am   #73
ChasC5
Banned

Once the truth comes out, you'll see the standard pattern.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:43am   #74
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

many of us predicted this. hate & violence sells with an angry misinformed public. it's highly lucrative for the pundits,politicians & news sources. well, the fruit of all the Right Wing hate ripened & burst in a a heinous bloodbath yesterday. I hope they got their money's worth.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:11pm   #75
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
many of us predicted this. hate & violence sells with an angry misinformed public. it's highly lucrative for the pundits,politicians & news sources. well, the fruit of all the Right Wing hate ripened & burst in a a heinous bloodbath yesterday. I hope they got their money's worth.

Determined to be silly eh?? pin it on the right wing, when it's a commie fellow traveler that did the deed......

you can shake and you can dance, but you can't prance around that FACT.....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12pm   #76
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
Interesting how all the noisy Tea Party types on this forum and other forums are yet again quiet.

Because we all knew it was coming, but only the truly intelligent admitted it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:14pm   #77
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Interesting how all the noisy Tea Party types on this forum and other forums are yet again quiet.

Yup, sure did, nothing kills like a commie bastard.......
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:19pm   #78
Exotix
Banned

Quote:

I like mhill's only response on CFPR&C ... and I was right ... it was the work of an insane maniac ... the Tea Baggers and right-wing had nothing to with this ... and that's all he has to say ...

Grumpy decided he'll go the way of right-wing wacko on this one ... posting from the Bush ex-neocon-in-exile website ...

Is Daily Kos to blame for Gifford attack ?

Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Giffords shot at public event
Old 01-09-2011, 12:23pm   #79
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
I like mhill's only response on CFPR&C ... and I was right ... it was the work of an insane maniac ... the Tea Baggers and right-wing had nothing to with this ... and that's all he has to say ...

Grumpy decided he'll go the way of right-wing wacko on this one ... posting from the Bush ex-neocon-in-exile website ...

Is Daily Kos to blame for Gifford attack ?

Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Giffords shot at public event
Calling them idiots is nice.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:27pm   #80
ChasC5
Banned

In reality, these types are nothing more than cowards. You'll never see them stand up to a true opponent, because they are in fear of everything.

Killing women, children and the unarmed.

Yea real cowards.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion