Old 07-01-2010, 12:34pm   #1
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Thumbs up Obama gets it

By Jared A. Favole

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- President Barack Obama on Thursday blamed the federal government and businesses for allowing illegal immigration to fester into a national problem in an expansive speech at American University.

Obama defended his efforts to secure the border, saying he has doubled the number of border agents. Tensions over immigration have exploded in the wake of an Arizona law that requires police to check the immigration status of those they suspect of being in the country illegally.

Obama's speech, his first on immigration as president, was aimed at rallying momentum for fixing the immigration system and follows meetings he held with grassroots groups and members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

Obama said businesses "must be held accountable" if they break the law and hire illegal immigrants. "We cannot continue to just look the other way as a significant portion of our economy operates outside the law," he said.

He said his administration is setting up a program to make it easier for businesses to verify whether workers they hire are here illegally and is cracking down on companies that hire undocumented workers. "Ultimately if the demand for undocumented workers falls, the incentive for people to come here illegally will decline," he said.

He also said the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. must admit they broke the law, register, pay a fine, pay taxes and learn English. "They must get right with the law before they can get in line and earn their citizenship," he said.

He praised the "courageous" work of politicians, including former President George W. Bush, to fix the immigration system. Despite their work, he said, fears of taking on such a massive and controversial topic have trumped action. "That is why a broken and dangerous system that offends our most basic American values is still in place.," he said.

He said without action by the federal government the nation will suffer from a "patchwork" of state laws that will further imperil economic growth. He mentioned the Arizona law, which he characterized as divisive. His administration is reviewing the legality of the law.

Governors of Arizona and Texas have complained that Obama's efforts to protect the border aren't sufficient.

Obama has said he wants an additional $600 million from Congress to protect the border by boosting the number of border patrol agents, unmanned aerial detection systems and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. Arizona, for instance, would get 524 border patrol agents under Obama's plan.

-By Jared A. Favole, Dow Jones Newswires; 202.862.9256; [email protected]

hell yeah!! put some CEO's in jail!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 3:48pm   #2
1TZSLO
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $377

He also said the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. must admit they broke the law, register, pay a fine, pay taxes and learn English. "They must get right with the law before they can get in line and earn their citizenship," he said.

Best thing said in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1TZSLO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 4:29pm   #3
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TZSLO View Post

Best thing said in there.
"businesses must be held accountable" THAT'S the one that will get things done. lock some CEO's up for hiring them.
Old 07-01-2010, 4:57pm   #4
1TZSLO
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
"businesses must be held accountable" THAT'S the one that will get things done. lock some CEO's up for hiring them.
Yeah but I will almost bet that you wont be locking up farmers. I mean how many actual CEO's know there are illegals working for them cutting the companies grass? (just for instance is all im saying) I bet none.
Old 07-01-2010, 5:25pm   #5
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yeah but I will almost bet that you wont be locking up farmers. I mean how many actual CEO's know there are illegals working for them cutting the companies grass? (just for instance is all im saying) I bet none.
if they don't know, it's their fault. ignorance is no excuse. farmer's don't employ near the numbers of illegals as construction/mfg firms.
Old 07-01-2010, 5:30pm   #6
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
He mentioned the Arizona law, which he characterized as divisive. His administration is reviewing the legality of the law.
Proof positive he doesn't "get it".

He's an elected official. His JOB is to do what the people of this country need and want.

Concerning the AZ law, I can't recall any recently enacted law that had such overwhelming positive reactions from the US citizens - the people that vote and elect officials into office. That MSNBC poll we saw earlier is still at 97% in favor of it. It's obviously exactly what the public wants, but yet he's searching for a way to kill it. Brilliant!

He should maybe LEARN from that public response, not try to dismiss it or find a way to block it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ
Going after businesses to rid this country of illegals will not solve the issue.

That would be like removing your dog's food dish in hopes it will stop him from pooping on your grass. If the dog can't eat, the dog can't sh!t...Solve the problem at the source, right?

Guess what, the dog will still be there, the dog will still find a way to eat, and it will continue to crap on your lawn.

Net effect: You haven't fixed anything.
Better solution: If you don't want the dog crapping on your grass, get rid of the dog, or don't get one to begin with.

Which means get rid of the illegals discovered (not grant them amnesty, food stamps, and free medical care), and prevent more from coming in. (hiring more unarmed border patrol greeters doesn't do that either).

It's time to get tough. AZ understands that, and so do the vast majority of Americans.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 5:39pm   #7
1TZSLO
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
if they don't know, it's their fault. ignorance is no excuse. farmer's don't employ near the numbers of illegals as construction/mfg firms.
They arent really employees lol more like contracted help haha.

I see the point you are trying to make, but I bet the BP ceo doesn't know who his janitor is. So Im sure you get my point that a "CEO" will never know who does the miniscule work, only people who are important to him and his company. You can't argue that. Its not ignorance they rely on people below them to be on that type of watch.

Last edited by 1TZSLO; 07-01-2010 at 5:44pm.
1TZSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 7:57pm   #8
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
Naaaa … Someone will just Apologize to the CEOs … any guess on who?
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 8:29pm   #9
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post

He's an elected official. His JOB is to do what the people of this country need and want.

Concerning the AZ law, I can't recall any recently enacted law that had such overwhelming positive reactions from the US citizens - the people that vote and elect officials into office. That MSNBC poll we saw earlier is still at 97% in favor of it. It's obviously exactly what the public wants, but yet he's searching for a way to kill it. Brilliant!

He should maybe LEARN from that public response, not try to dismiss it or find a way to block it.

Going after businesses to rid this country of illegals will not solve the issue.

That would be like removing your dog's food dish in hopes it will stop him from pooping on your grass. If the dog can't eat, the dog can't sh!t...Solve the problem at the source, right?

Guess what, the dog will still be there, the dog will still find a way to eat, and it will continue to crap on your lawn.

Better solution: If you don't want the dog crapping on your grass, get rid of the dog, or don't get one to begin with.

Which means get rid of the illegals discovered (not grant them amnesty, food stamps, and free medical care), and prevent more from coming in. (hiring more unarmed border patrol greeters doesn't do that either).

It's time to get tough. AZ understands that, and so do the vast majority of Americans.

even John McCain says the Az law is unconstitutional. Obama put employers of illegals on notice today. they WILL be held accountable for hiring them. it's a very simple concept, try to wrap your mind around it. let me dumb it down for you.....cut the head off the snake & it dies.
Old 07-01-2010, 8:39pm   #10
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

Quote:

This one is tough for me I have had to educate my Mexican wife who has her green card and came through on a worker's visa, immediately applied to stay, she has been here over 40 years and she has a SSAN and can do everything but vote, those are the ones we want. It took me some time to make her understand her situation and the ones here the wrong way. I have read both the federal and AZ law and they are so similar.

Lets see who is going to work in the fields in California where I grew up, oh I did work one summer in the fields, only gringo there and the rest were Mexican like my wifey. If we go after the farmers it will be good, yes it will cost more for fruit and other produce, but Americans and legal workers will be doing it. Oh when I worked in the fields that summer I was paid in cash, I did have my SSAN, was not asked for. Go after the farmers and owners of business and fine there asses, they will understand it and while we are at it the fence should be 40' high with double rolls of rolled wire, that will help the border guards as the current fence where it is at is a joke
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 8:39pm   #11
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
even John McCain says the Az law is unconstitutional. Obama put employers of illegals on notice today. they WILL be held accountable for hiring them. it's a very simple concept, try to wrap your mind around it. let me dumb it down for you.....cut the head off the snake & it dies.
It's far less unconstitutional than traffic checkpoints. The majority of people don't want those, but yet they currently exist in the majority of the country.

Seems the people nationwide overwhelmingly approve of this AZ effort, so quite frankly, I don't care what ANY politician says about it.

I say do what the people want. And it's blatantly obvious they want this. Good job AZ for listening to the people for a "change".

The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 8:43pm   #12
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
It's far less unconstitutional than traffic checkpoints. The majority of people don't want those, but yet they currently exist in the majority of the country.

Seems the people nationwide overwhelmingly approve of this AZ effort, so quite frankly, I don't care what ANY politician says about it.

I say do what the people want. And it's blatantly obvious they want this. Good job AZ for listening to the people for a "change".

Time to either enforce the Federal law or the AZ one in there state. I love Latino's, I just want them here legal and amensty did not work the last time we did it, round them up, and send them back
Old 07-01-2010, 8:49pm   #13
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

bottom line: if you hire illegals you will be dealt with. this is the approach we should have taken long ago. you can't blame them for wanting to leave a life of cardboard houses & no running water. the greedy SOB's that seek to give our jobs to them so they can enjoy a better bottom line just got the rug pulled out from under them.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:01pm   #14
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
bottom line: if you hire illegals you will be dealt with. this is the approach we should have taken long ago. you can't blame them for wanting to leave a life of cardboard houses & no running water. the greedy SOB's that seek to give our jobs to them so they can enjoy a better bottom line just got the rug pulled out from under them.
I hope this happens for the first time in my lifetime, I support this and hope this is not lip service from the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Pan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 9:12pm   #15
1TZSLO
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post

Lets see who is going to work in the fields in California where I grew up, oh I did work one summer in the fields, only gringo there and the rest were Mexican like my wifey. If we go after the farmers it will be good, yes it will cost more for fruit and other produce, but Americans and legal workers will be doing it. Oh when I worked in the fields that summer I was paid in cash, I did have my SSAN, was not asked for. Go after the farmers and owners of business and fine there asses, they will understand it and while we are at it the fence should be 40' high with double rolls of rolled wire, that will help the border guards as the current fence where it is at is a joke
Been there done that also man. Picking tomatos by the buschelwhen I was young.

Zo6 you make a good point but how many americans can you find standing around, to make a racists point (no offense), at a local pick up to do random construction work? I know a few that want to but dont want to have the humiliation of being there waiting. I wish we could get rid of the perception of this but its true.
In SC my mother is a Farm loan agent. And every year farmers apply for loans because of drought, floods or random events. Some go bankrupt some dont. But bottom line is Illegals will work for low pay tons of hours and they feed their illegal families. But yet when she goes to farms she honestly asks why they have no whites or blacks working. The farm owners straight up say, its a cash seasonal job, no benefits and that all the "americans" want job security and benefits or health care of some sort and we dont apply that unless its our equpment that faulters. Which is not the case in 98% of injuries.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:24pm   #16
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Been there done that also man. Picking tomatos by the buschelwhen I was young.

Zo6 you make a good point but how many americans can you find standing around, to make a racists point (no offense), at a local pick up to do random construction work? I know a few that want to but dont want to have the humiliation of being there waiting. I wish we could get rid of the perception of this but its true.
In SC my mother is a Farm loan agent. And every year farmers apply for loans because of drought, floods or random events. Some go bankrupt some dont. But bottom line is Illegals will work for low pay tons of hours and they feed their illegal families. But yet when she goes to farms she honestly asks why they have no whites or blacks working. The farm owners straight up say, its a cash seasonal job, no benefits and that all the "americans" want job security and benefits or health care of some sort and we dont apply that unless its our equpment that faulters. Which is not the case in 98% of injuries.
there is no doubt that cheap labor is a part of our economy. I have worked/employed illegals myself [years ago] but we are at a critical time in our nation with high unemployment when many of our jobs have been outsourced to countries that will work cheaper. what hasn't been outsourced has had an illegal placed in it replacing an American.we can't put everybody on welfare or unemployment & we can't continue this.it will make us a third world nation if we keep it up. we may have to pay more for strawberries & mow our own yards, but so be it.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:42pm   #17
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
bottom line: if you hire illegals you will be dealt with. this is the approach...
Remember, you have to not only find them first, you then have to convict them second. I know it's not even been two years under this "leadership" yet, but luckily we still have a right or two to cling to.

So IF you find and charge them, you are now looking at what, a month, year, or more delay before the case ever sees a judge?

Seriously, THIS is the solution to the illegals problem?

We may see swimmers from India wandering over here before that tactic has any significant effect.

Coupled with the fact the ones becoming gainfully employed in this country really aren't much of an issue to most folks.

Whatcha gonna do about the militant drug-runners that are happy to kill anything that moves in front of their caravans into this country? Which CEO is responsible for them?

Or maybe they are the prime motivator of the AZ effort? How does your solution affect them?
Old 07-01-2010, 9:53pm   #18
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Remember, you have to not only find them first, you then have to convict them second. I know it's not even been two years under this "leadership" yet, but luckily we still have a right or two to cling to.
so its a "right" to hire illegals? gotcha.
So IF you find and charge them, you are now looing at what, a month, year, or more delay before the case ever sees a judge?

Seriously, THIS is the solution to the illegals problem?
it's better than what we had.
We may see swimmers from India wandering over here before that tactic has any significant effect.

Coupled with the fact the ones becoming gainfully employed in this country really aren't much of an issue to most folks.
I agree. work here legally or GTFO
Whatcha gonna do about the militant drug-runners that are happy to kill anything that moves in front of their caravans into this country? Which CEO is responsible for them?
how about legalize drugs & tax the hell out of them? works for me.
Or maybe they are the prime motivator of the AZ effort? How does your solution affect them?
the AZ effort is just more BS grandstanding by BS politicians. this thread isn't about the AZ law. it's about Obama's speech putting the employers of illegals on notice.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion