Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2013, 9:02am   #21
DukeAllen
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.5%

Thanked 9,186 Times in 4,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10001598

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 View Post
Last I heard you were involved with auto parts marketing/contracting stuff. Did that change? Or new career entirely?
As long as you can still afford hookers and blow.

'cause none of us are sharing ours
DukeAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 9:33am   #22
five-oh
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,028 Times in 386 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $429031

I too wondered where everyone went....Almost quit coming by here, there's less action than Duke or Bill gets......
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 9:47am   #23
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-oh View Post
I too wondered where everyone went....Almost quit coming by here, there's less action than Duke or Bill gets......
Better than no action at all. How's that arthritic hand?
The Following User Says Thank You to DukeAllen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12am   #24
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,214 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4309769

Quote:
How can there be less than zero action?
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 10:14am   #25
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46

Well, we need to do some recon and find out who the new trolls are....I'm sure there are a host of new characters....who is the new Hokie? Crocamonga? Mr T?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:10am   #26
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,717 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:
Last I heard you were involved with auto parts marketing/contracting stuff. Did that change? Or new career entirely?
Yea, I was in Auto Parts, but my role was always in logistics. I was recruited to be Overstock.com's Senior Logistics manager. It's a senior management position at the corporate office, time to do the corner office thing................
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 2:46pm   #27
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46

Congrats Jon....

I want to do the exact opposite. I told the Mrs I'm doing 5 more years at the stress factory, and then I'm hanging it up at the ripe age of 55. I will still work (part time) to keep me in fun/car hobby money, but I've had all I can take of management. Time to let someone else worry about everything and work a bazillion hours a week.

Maybe bartend a couple or three nights a week....that sounds like fun...or teach a couple of classes at community college (Troll Hunting 101, Remedial Butt Hurt Prevention 203, Strategies of Conquering Liberalism 204, Creative Parody Writing 300).

Whatever....I don't want anyone reporting to me. Tired of spending half my day correcting other peoples mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 8:48pm   #28
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizlefrak View Post
Congrats Jon....

Quote:
or teach a couple of classes at community college (Troll Hunting 101, Remedial Butt Hurt Prevention 203, Strategies of Conquering Liberalism 204, Creative Parody Writing 300).

Whatever....I don't want anyone reporting to me. Tired of spending half my day correcting other peoples mistakes.
Isn't that what all those courses do?
Old 11-03-2013, 8:49pm   #29
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
How can there be less than zero action?
Those who can't, accuse everyone else of not getting it either
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33pm   #30
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Barn Stall Owner #49
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,978 Times in 2,076 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Yea, I was in Auto Parts, but my role was always in logistics. I was recruited to be Overstock.com's Senior Logistics manager. It's a senior management position at the corporate office, time to do the corner office thing................
Congrats, Jon!!

Sounds like you're up for it and more power to ya!!

I got too old too quickly dealing with corporate crap, time-burning meetings, customer-first propaganda but really self-serving-systems-building before customer service, blameless management who enacted doomed strategies and blamed everyone else for the inevitable crash, middle management who shielded problems from upper management who could help and blamed everyone else, self-serving management who were destined to finally face justice in court, impossible goals that undermined morale, did I mention corporate crap? Finally bailed with most of my 401k only by selling off company shares before they augered into the ground.
Retired but gratefully wake up every morning to the gift of a new day and a monthly paycheck for not going to work!

Other than that, Jon, I wish you all the best!
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 11:13pm   #31
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Crissakes am I the only one here who never did the office thing? I HATED school, I knew I'd never make it behind a desk. I trained in PC repair but I never did it as a career (just on the side...Geek Squad blows.). I was a painter with my Dad and did a lot of security related stuff. My only tie was a clip on...That when I was a supervisor in airport security. (You guys were safe as hell back in 90-91)
I don't do stress. I could be jealous you guys have bigger wallets, but I got smaller stress And now I'm stay at home dad so from the time I get my little guy in the school doors, until he gets home... and
That said...if you can handle it, more power to ya. Congrats Jon. Don't forget us little people from the posse
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29pm   #32
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Barn Stall Owner #49
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,978 Times in 2,076 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025197

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeAllen View Post
And now I'm stay at home dad so from the time I get my little guy in the school doors, until he gets home.
That is the most important and impactful job that matters.
A tip of the hat to you-what you can give that little guy in the next few years will prepare him to survive in a world that will be harder than the one you and I grew up in.

Teach him to work with his hands as well as his mind. There will be a shortage of people who can build and fix things and that will provide a good future for him.

His dad can give him things no one else can!
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00am   #33
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Thanks. He already loves to tinker, and loves any kind of gadgets...especially cars. I can see him becoming a mechanic, although I guess it will be on electric cars, or restoring antique ones (C4s ) But he's also already great with computers. He can find hot wheels on ebay faster than me

He's also a great buddy. I've never met anyone as happy as he is, and it just comes to him naturally. People in public are always stopping us to compliment his smile, or even to say he made their day. So many kids now look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. One of my biggest jobs is protecting him from that so he keeps that smile
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DukeAllen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 1:50am   #34
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46

Quote:
Crissakes am I the only one here who never did the office thing?
Yeah, and I'm jealous

College and corporate America was my ticket out of tiny shit town USA and a life of minimum wage. I took it. Now that I've logged in nearly 30 years of corporate politics exactly like Bunky so eloquently spelled out, I'm looking to bow out.

For 25 years now, we've worked hard, lived under our means, racked away the cash, and encountered some good luck along the way. We saw the crash in 2008 coming and converted everything (including our 401Ks) to cash before the shit hit the fan. We escaped it unscathed. When my company stock hit rock bottom afteward, I went in heavy and sold high. We now own our home free and clear, have zero debt, and a healthy nest egg. The main reason I keep showing up every day at the stress factory is my health plan. I put nearly 40% of my check into 401K, and another 30% into other investments, and blow the rest on car parts and expensive dinners with the wife.

But I'm growing tired. I recognize that the degree to which I give a shit is slipping rapidly, and my job performance is heading south with it. Even at 70% effort I'm better than most of my colleagues, so the bosses are in no hurry to show me the door....but that won't last forever. It's time to start planning for the inevitable. I could quit now...we don't need the money....but I'll grow restless within a month and start climbing the walls. And as it stands, I can burn through cash like there's no tomorrow with no ill effects. I'd have to temper that if I decided not to get out of bed tomorrow.

Sooo....we're starting to plan a bit. Where do we want to live out our days (it won't be in El Paso...I'm tired of looking at dirt).....and what is going to be my semi-retirement gig.

I salute the guys our age that have the energy to still go at the job full throttle and sit on top of the mountain....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 7:14am   #35
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
I salute the guys our age that have the energy to still go at the job full throttle and sit on top of the mountain....
I was with you until you started bragging about banging a fat chick

Seriously, you sound like the wife. She's an accountant so her life revolves around the office. I just wish she'd find a better paying office
Old 11-04-2013, 9:47am   #36
Black95
Barn Stall Owner #204
Activity: 2.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $403724

Quote:
Congrats, Jon!!

Retired but gratefully wake up every morning to the gift of a new day and a monthly paycheck for not going to work!

Other than that, Jon, I wish you all the best!
I'm with you on that! I get up early each morning to get breakfast for my wife so she can get off to work to keep me in Vette parts! Then its time for me to go golfing and work in the garage or wood shop. Tough life but after teaching/haranging other peoples offspring for 39 years, I think I can manage it. I do clean and dust for about a half hour so it looks like I do something around the house for my wife while she works. I also go grocery shopping for her, but that is only because I can take the Vette out for a drive!
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black95 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 10:42am   #37
five-oh
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,028 Times in 386 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $429031

Quote:
Crissakes am I the only one here who never did the office thing? I HATED school, I knew I'd never make it behind a desk. I trained in PC repair but I never did it as a career (just on the side...Geek Squad blows.). I was a painter with my Dad and did a lot of security related stuff. My only tie was a clip on...That when I was a supervisor in airport security. (You guys were safe as hell back in 90-91)
I don't do stress. I could be jealous you guys have bigger wallets, but I got smaller stress And now I'm stay at home dad so from the time I get my little guy in the school doors, until he gets home... and
That said...if you can handle it, more power to ya. Congrats Jon. Don't forget us little people from the posse
I'm with ya, Duke. At the time I got out of school, college wasn't an option, so I went with the factory thing for a few years, then bailed to Police work as soon as I was old enough. It appeared to be fun, rewarding, and didn't involve much physical labor, other than the occasional fracas, which I enjoyed.
And it has been. For the most part. Still got a ton of years to go until retirement here- I'm only 37 years old- and I doubt it'll all be here at my current job, as it's too political.
Yeah, it'd be nice to have a fat wallet, debt free, and retirement....I'm proud for my friends that have busted their hump to make it happen for them. I'm plugging away at that goal myself, but it appears Odumbo and his buddies are determined to make it hard for me.
But, Duke, like you appear, I am as happy with my life, broke as heck and all, as I could be. Ten million dollars would do nothing to my happiness but give me more toys. Most important of all, I have a beautiful wife and little girl, both of whom appear to think I hung the moon. Guys, it don't get no better.
Every day fishing with the little one, riding around in the antique, watching her school events- I treasure them more than I would a Rockefeller bank account...
But it is nice to know people that worked and achieved the high roller lifestyle...Friz.
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to five-oh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57am   #38
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46

Quote:
D Most important of all, I have a beautiful wife and little girl, both of whom appear to think I hung the moon. Guys, it don't get no better.
Every day fishing with the little one, riding around in the antique, watching her school events- I treasure them more than I would a Rockefeller bank account...
If you've got that, you have something that most of the world doesn't. It amazes me how many people are in relationships that cause them more grief than anything, are estranged from their kids, etc. If you've got a strong home situation to come home to, life is very good.

Mz Friz and I were talking about our early days recently. She was still in college, I was out by a year and working a crappy interim job. There was one month where she managed to feed us on $75 for the whole month. I had forgotten all about it....Looking back, I remembered eating a lot of burger, beans, and rice. There weren't any extras, but we never took a penny of help. The first few years were a struggle financially, but it was a great time nonetheless....we had a lot of fun. 25 years on, we still are....and we appreciate everything we have now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42pm   #39
Black95
Barn Stall Owner #204
Activity: 2.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $403724

No Raman noodles, Friz!
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 2:09pm   #40
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by barondeau View Post
No Raman noodles, Friz!
Ramen and PB&J was college.

Actually, I took a friend's advice in college and got a job at a Pizza Hut. The "mistakes" follow you home every night. Tell your buddies "You buy the beer, I'll get the pizza"

Pizza and sandwiches get VERY old after a while though. We used to call up KFC and barter a couple of pizzas for a couple buckets of chicken. Same with the Burrito House....they sent over a bag of burritos for 2 super supremes. We sent our driver over to The Claim (upscale restaurant) with a couple of pizzas once....he returned with a massive platter of appetizer combos and two cheesecakes. College was fun, and we never starved

Well, I broke down and winterized my RV this morning. The season is over, and we barely got to use it. Always next year I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion