Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc.

Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc. Road course, Auto-X events and discussion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2013, 1:23pm   #1
cor123
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1665
Default Corvette Racing in Canada: Happy Hunting Grounds

CORVETTE RACING IN CANADA: Happy Hunting Grounds

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park has been good to Compuware Corvettes

BOWMANVILLE, ONTARIO (July 16, 2013) – It’s time for Corvette Racing to head north of the border for its annual visit to Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. The American Le Mans Series’ lone Canadian event is the Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix – a race Corvette Racing has won nine times since 2001.

The 2.459-mile, 10-turn road course is one of the fastest in the ALMS and a favorite of all four Corvette Racing drivers. The layout features a variety of high-speed corners and daunting elevation changes that audiences can see live on ESPN2 at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, July 21. Qualifying for the GT class is set for 3:50 p.m. ET on Saturday, July 20 and will be available on ESPN3.

Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen – second in the GT drivers’ standings – drive the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Defending ALMS GT champions Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner pilot the No. 4 Corvette. They are fourth in the class championship.

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (known to long-time fans as Mosport) sees a number of new looks. The facility – co-owned by former Corvette Racing star Ron Fellows – saw improvements to the entryway, paddock and sightlines in 2012. In the last 12 months, the track underwent more dramatic renovations with the additions of a pitlane extension of 300 feet, a state-of-the-art event center, new asphalt at every corner and paved runoff areas at turns 1 and 2 to improve safety.

The character of the track hasn’t changed much since its first race in 1961. Through the years, CTMP has played host to Can-Am, Formula 5000, USAC stock cars, IndyCar, Trans-Am, Formula Atlantic, and of course the American Le Mans Series and IMSA. Most notably, the circuit was the site of the Formula One Canadian Grand Prix eight times between 1967-77.

"There are not many race venues in North America, or the world for that matter, with a history like the track once known as Mosport,” Corvette Racing Program Manager Doug Fehan said with a smile. “Historically, it has tested drivers and teams with a combination of challenging high-speed corners, extreme terrain change and insanely quick lap times. We have enjoyed some memorable successes here and the support from the great Canadian crowd has always been inspirational. I know all our guys are excited to see all the improvements that have been implemented at the facility, and I am confident our inaugural trip to the new-look Canadian Tire Motorsport Park will be a big step forward in our effort to repeat our 2012 championship.”

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix (all times ET)

· GT Qualifying: 3:50 p.m., Saturday, July 20

· Race: Noon, Sunday July 21

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park: Watch It!

Saturday, July 20-Sunday, July 21 (all times ET)

· Qualifying: 3:20 p.m., Saturday, July 20 (ESPN3)

· Race (TV): Live – 1 p.m., Sunday, July 21 (ESPN2)

· Web: Live – 11:45 a.m., Sunday, July 21 (ESPN3)

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“Even in a road car, it is difficult to understand how fast you go around the track. In my first practice there last year, it took me six or seven laps to not brake into Turn 1! In turns 2 and 3, you definitely need to pick your braking point and roll in. But for the first turn, it’s not how deep you brake but whether you need to lift to make it through in fifth or sixth gear. That was the corner that took me the most time to get right.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“For sure Corvette Racing has had great success at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. We are looking to go and build on what we have done in the last two ALMS races – a win at Laguna and second-place at Lime Rock. If we can get a win at Mosport, it would really help our run for the GT championship. It’s a much more high-speed track than Lime Rock but it’s also a track where you can attack a lot. Lime Rock wasn’t one of those; you had to be more precise and smooth. But at Mosport you can go hard at it all the time. It’s one of my favorite tracks and we for sure are excited to go back there.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“The track itself will be similar but the landmarks and cues you’d use to guide your way around the track – the stuff you pick up in your peripheral vision that all drivers learn – has changed because the runoff and places that were grass have gone to tarmac. There is a new pitlane with a different entry. All of that part of the track is different and will take a little bit of relearning. It will be challenging but interesting at the same time. I am looking forward to going there and seeing what’s been done. Ron is a big proponent of safety, and he’s worked at it very hard. You’re going at such a high speed and only have so much road to work with. Any slip up there can lead you into having a big moment. It will be once again a great place to go and I’m looking forward to going back there.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“It’s fantastic. It’s my favorite track we go to. It’s fun, fast, flowing and has a good rhythm to it. It’s really challenging in our GT car. I’ve had success there and been on the podium a number of times but a win has eluded me. Typically I don’t like tracks where I don’t do well, but this one I like no matter what. The new runoff areas won’t change how we drive the track at all. Certainly now you can be a little more ambitious going into turns 1 and 2 but that won’t make us any faster. In past years, we still pushed the limits and it wasn’t a place where we needed the extra runoff to go quicker. Lap times I don’t think will change very much but should help guys who get in a bad situation then you have some room to spare.”

ALMS GT Championship Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Manufacturer Standings

1. Dirk Muller – 62

2. Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen – 46

3. John Edwards – 46

4. Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner - 45

5. Bill Auberlen/Maxime Martin - 44
1. Corvette Racing – 72

1. BMW Team RLL – 72

2. SRT Motorsports – 45

3. Paul Miller Racing – 30

4. Risi Competizione - 29
1. Chevrolet – 75

2. BMW – 72

3. Ferrari – 51

4. SRT – 50

5. Porsche - 50

Corvette Racing at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GTS
Fellows/Pilgrim
2nd
Corvette C5-R
Fellows pole, fastest race lap

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim
3rd
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim
2nd
Corvette C5-R
Pilgrim fastest race lap

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Gavin
7th
Corvette C5-R
Gavin pole

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Beretta/Gavin
1st
Corvette C5-R
Gavin pole, fastest race lap

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell
2nd
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
1st
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell
4th
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Magnussen/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R

Fellows/Pilgrim
3rd
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Magnussen/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R
Beretta fastest race lap

GT2
Magnussen/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
3rd
Corvette C6.R

GT
Beretta/O'Connell
5th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen
4th
Corvette C6.R
Magnussen fastest race lap

GT
Beretta/Milner
6th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen
1st
Corvette C6.R

GT
Garcia/Magnussen
2nd
Corvette C6.R
Magnussen pole

Gavin/Milner
10th
Corvette C6.R
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 6:44am   #2
cor123
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1665

CORVETTE RACING IN CANADA: Second, Sixth in ALMS GT Qualifying

Hard crash for Magnussen but No. 3 Compuware Corvette will be ready to race

BOWMANVILLE, ONTARIO (July 20, 2013) – Corvette Racing is a nine-time winner at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in American Le Mans Series competition. But the track formerly known as Mosport proved Saturday it can be unforgiving to even the best in racing.

Jan Magnussen set the second-fastest lap in GT qualifying for the Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R before a significant crash with less than five minutes left in the session. Upon its return to the team’s paddock, the Corvette crew went straight to work to dismantle and repair the No. 3 entry, which has Magnussen and Antonio Garcia second in the ALMS GT championship. Sunday’s race airs live on ESPN2 starting at 1 p.m. ET.

The Dane’s best time was a 1:15.601 (117.094 mph) that he set on his fifth lap. With pole position in his sights, Magnussen was on a flyer before a small bump in the middle of the third corner caused the Corvette to unsettle and veer slightly wide at the exit. The left-rear tire went off the surface just enough to send Magnussen into a spin and hard into the outside tire barrier.

The car will start Sunday’s race from the rear of the grid and is expected to make the morning warmup at 9:10 a.m.

Tommy Milner qualified the No. 4 Compuware Corvette sixth in class at 1:16.083 (116.352 mph). Despite the position, Milner was only 0.621 seconds off pole position. The car struggled to find balance in the second practice session and qualifying but Milner believed the fix would be an easy adjustment for Sunday’s race. He and teammate Oliver Gavin – defending ALMS GT champions – will go for their second ALMS victory of the season.

“Tommy and Jan both had solid qualifying efforts,” said Doug Fehan, Corvette Racing Program Manager. “Jan’s crash was unfortunate. He was on a good lap, but we were reminded how quickly this track can come up and bite anyone. The entire Corvette Racing team is an experienced and resilient group and will work as long as it takes to get the car repaired and ready for Sunday. It’s that ‘never give up’ spirit that we all exude.”

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix (all times ET)

· Warmup: 9:10 a.m. ET, Sunday, July 21

· Race: Noon ET, Sunday, July 21

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park: Watch It!

Sunday, July 21 (all times ET)

· Race (TV): Live – 1 p.m., Sunday, July 21 (ESPN2)

· Web: Live – 11:45 a.m., Sunday, July 21 (ESPN3)

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“One of the things I love about this place is that there is a real consequence to making mistakes or pushing too hard. We were just a tenth back from pole and this was an attempt to get it. I still think (the pole time) was in the car but I just bounced in the middle of Turn 3 over a small bump and that put me a little bit off line at the exit. A wheel off into the grass and that was it. I was off into the tire wall. I feel sorry for the team. For sure you try to avoid these things but sometimes they happen. When you hit the tire wall at an angle, it tends to rip things off the car. It will be a bit of work for the guys but the car was awesome in qualifying and I believe the pole time was in it. That’s why I went for it. The car will be perfect for the race.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“In the previous practice we struggled with the balance of the car and that carried over into qualifying. We’re not way off by any means. The GT field is so close that you have to have a great car, and we have that. It’s a bummer. This was my first qualifying run in awhile and had the issue with balance. We had a bit too much understeer and need to dial some of that out of the car. But we have a direction to go and we’re not lost by any means. We will make some small changes here and there and be ready for tomorrow. We should be in good shape for the race.”

ALMS GT Championship Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Manufacturer Standings

1. Dirk Muller – 62

2. Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen – 46

3. John Edwards – 46

4. Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner - 45

5. Bill Auberlen/Maxime Martin - 44
1. Corvette Racing – 72

1. BMW Team RLL – 72

2. SRT Motorsports – 45

3. Paul Miller Racing – 30

4. Risi Competizione - 29
1. Chevrolet – 75

2. BMW – 72

3. Ferrari – 51

4. SRT – 50

5. Porsche - 50

Corvette Racing at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GTS
Fellows/Pilgrim
2nd
Corvette C5-R
Fellows pole, fastest race lap

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim
3rd
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Pilgrim
2nd
Corvette C5-R
Pilgrim fastest race lap

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C5-R

Collins/Gavin
7th
Corvette C5-R
Gavin pole

GTS
Fellows/O'Connell
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Beretta/Gavin
1st
Corvette C5-R

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell
2nd
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
1st
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Fellows/O'Connell
4th
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Magnussen/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R

Fellows/Pilgrim
3rd
Corvette C6.R

GT1
Magnussen/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R
O'Connell pole

Beretta/Gavin
2nd
Corvette C6.R
Beretta fastest race lap

GT2
Magnussen/O'Connell
1st
Corvette C6.R

Beretta/Gavin
3rd
Corvette C6.R

GT
Beretta/O'Connell
5th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen
4th
Corvette C6.R
Magnussen fastest race lap

GT
Beretta/Milner
6th
Corvette C6.R

Gavin/Magnussen
1st
Corvette C6.R

GT
Garcia/Magnussen
2nd
Corvette C6.R
Magnussen pole

Gavin/Milner
10th
Corvette C6.R
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc.