Old 06-25-2015, 10:22pm   #81
Czarvette
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $402582

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Good catch!

The government should have control, but it shouldn't abuse that control....like when the govt. shut down occurred, and federal employees were sent out to block highway frontage to keep people from stopping to view Mt. Rushmore.

Pulling the Confederate merchandise, in a kneejerk reaction to foment divisiveness in America is not what our Park Service should be doing. Certain parts of government are supposed to be non political.....the Park Service is one of them. Pub, Dem, Libertarian, Green, Communist.....all should be able to enjoy our national parks.
The problem is having become a lightning rod for political opinion, keeping the Confederate flag around is as much a political statement as removing it. To wit: Gov. Haley's dilemma on what to do about the flag at the SC state capitol building. She tried to wash her hands of it and took heat for it.

So choose wisely.
Czarvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:53pm   #82
Czarvette
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $402582

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post

Let the parks sell the damn rebel flag and give the money to black charity if it eases the conscience. I'll bet it won't be turned down.

That would be an interesting social experiment.

A shelf full of rebel flags and a sign stating 100% of the money made from the sale of the flags will go to the NAACP. Do you think the checks would be returned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarvette View Post
I gotta admit, that's a creative solution. I like it.
Sorry to be quoting myself, but I wanted to extend the chain of thought.

Theres multiple reasons I like the idea. One of which is that it subverts the purposes of those who would want to buy a Confederate flag with malicious intent. Another is that nothing is so appealing as the forbidden fruit... So don't forbid it, co-opt it. Undermine the negative power and replace it with positive.

So, imagine this: what if the black community were to adopt the Confederate flag and co-opt it as a symbol of pride and triumph over their oppressors and those who would oppress? embracing the Confederate flag could become a reminder that the black community prevails and flourishes whereas old Dixie and its system of slavery does not.

Ludicrous? I think not. Just look to the Christian cross. The crucifix was a torture device used by the Romans to inflict a horrific death. Jesus, and many martyrs to follow, died on this instrument. And yet, what is the most common, and perhaps holiest symbol of Christianity, embraced and revered by Christians and generally given respect by others? The tool of their oppressor became a symbol of forgiveness, blessing, salvation, and triumph over death. As someone observed, had Christ been executed in modern times, in a few hundred years the Christian church's primary symbol would be the electric chair.

Hey, co-option worked for Christmas and Easter, too, by the way.

Could never happen? I draw your attention to the gay community's work over the last couple of decades to reclaim the word "queer" and turn it from a pejorative to an adjective of pride.
Czarvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Czarvette For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion