User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 7:52am   #1
R.Zaragoza
Barn Stall Owner #0000
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $260381
Default A story of HOPE & CHANGE.

Desperate mother-of-three sells handwritten letter from Obama to avoid being evicted
By Rachel Quigley

Opening the handwritten letter from President Obama brought a glimmer of hope to her life as he promised her that things would get better for her and her family.

And despite the fact Destiny Mathis, from Hobart, Indiana, treasured the letter, more than two years later she has no choice but to sell it as she and her three children face eviction from their home.

The 26-year-old was an avid campaigner for Mr Obama in 2008, getting T-shirts made and encouraging people in her neighbourhood to vote.

The letter: The hand-written note from President Obama is expected to fetch about $11,000 when it is sold

Back then her life was tough but she had hope for her own future and the future of America.

She graduated top of her class in 2005 and was working as a surgical technician while also helping her mother, who was battling cancer at the time.

She said: 'I campaigned for him hard. I got the shirts made, the Barack the Vote shirts made. We've done a lot.'

It was about half way into the President's term that things took a downward spiral for her.

Her third baby was born prematurely with health problems and with limited daycare options she could no longer work.

Her partner also left around this time.

With nowhere else to turn, she decided to write the President a letter.

She told the Huffington Post: 'I wrote him just expressing my concern about what's going to happen in the next two years. I know he's under a lot of stress, but I need to see more results.'

She told him she was optimistic for change when she campaigned for him and that now she feels her future is bleak and unpromising. Despite this she also praised the President and his efforts.
Truth hurts: Destiny told Obama she was optimistic for change when she campaigned for him but now she feels her future is bleak and unpromising

Truth hurts: Destiny told Obama she was optimistic for change when she campaigned for him but now she feels her future is bleak and unpromising

The heart-felt letter: The Economy vs My Family: Who is going to fair better? is what she wrote at the top of the note

The heart-felt letter: The Economy vs My Family: Who is going to fair better? is what she wrote at the top of the note

She wrote: 'I do think people are coming down too hard on you and your administration. An eight-year mess cannot be fixed in only two years’ time.

'I am still behind you 100 per cent and so is my family. My dad is a disabled Vietnam Veteran and he tells my seven-year-old son, Silas, that he should strive to be just like you.

'I tell my two-year-old daughter Milan that she will be as strong as Mrs Obama and to not be like me.'

She finishes by saying: 'May God Bless you Mister President and your beautiful family. I also ask that GOD continues to bless your presidency and administration.'

To Ms Mathis' surprise, she received a handwritten response from the President shortly after.

He told her that she had a 'positive spirit', that she inspired him and promised her that things would get better for her and her family.

But now, eight months later, things have not improved and she is being forced to sell the letter in the hope that she can avoid eviction.

She said: 'We need to move as soon as possible. We need a three bedroom. I'm not working, so no-one is giving me a chance.'

Out of desperation, the 26-year-old contacted Gary Zimet, president of Moments in Time, who has sold eight handwritten letters from President Obama, along with the actual Schindler's List and other pieces of American history.

He said that the hand written letters on headed White House stationary are 'extremely rare' and he hopes to sell the letter for $11,000.

Right now, Ms Mathis is hoping the letter sale will lead to a better future for her and her children Silas, Milan and Londyn and ultimately wants to go back to school to become a nurse.

She said: 'I am just a little bit weary of the promises that (Obama) has made. I really haven't been seeing any kind of changes that affect me directly.

'We need the money so we can move into something that's compatible with the kids and to help us out. We are really, really struggling. It's hard for us right now.

'I really do trust that I'm making the right decision.'

Read more: Mother-of-3 Destiny Mathis sells Obama's handwritten letter to avoid eviction | Mail Online
R.Zaragoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 8:09am   #2
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4290

How is that "Hope and Change" working out?

AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC54ME For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 8:12am   #3
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

So much for Homes for every American ... Ooops ... sorry, that was someone else.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 8:22am   #4
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,431 Times in 10,608 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
So much for Homes for every American ... Ooops ... sorry, that was someone else.
???
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 8:28am   #5
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
???
Ask your buddies ... they know everything.
Old 06-15-2011, 8:36am   #6
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Ask your buddies ... they know everything.
my buddies?

I asked you. You don't have the answer?
Old 06-15-2011, 8:46am   #7
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
Opening the handwritten letter from President Obama brought a glimmer of hope to her life as he promised her that things would get better for her and her family.

And despite the fact Destiny Mathis, from Hobart, Indiana, treasured the letter, more than two years later she has no choice but to sell it as she and her three children face eviction from their home.

It was about half way into the President's term that things took a downward spiral for her.

With nowhere else to turn, she decided to write the President a letter.
I'm thinking the author has no idea how long Obama's been President.

Halfway into his term wasn't two years ago...though it may feel like it.
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 8:50am   #8
R.Zaragoza
Barn Stall Owner #0000

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $260381

Quote:
Who was it?
R.Zaragoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 9:09am   #9
LATB
A Real Barner

Old 06-15-2011, 9:29am   #10
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Soory ... I have clients see, bill to pay, life to live.

I remember George W Bush saying that, but I'm almost sure you'll disagree ... so what's the point other than say you're right and keep things politically correct.
Old 06-15-2011, 9:32am   #11
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Soory ... I have clients see, bill to pay, life to live.

I remember George W Bush saying that, but I'm almost sure you'll disagree ... so what's the point other than say you're right and keep things politically correct.
you always "have to run"..."got work to do"...when asked or challenged.

link to the Bush quote?

me? keep things politically correct?
Old 06-15-2011, 9:39am   #12
ChasC5
Banned

Talking

Quote:
you always "have to run"..."got work to do"...when asked or challenged.

link to the Bush quote?

me? keep things politically correct?
Business is good, what can I say, I'm not getting handouts.

President Bush Signs American Dream Downpayment Act of 2003

Quote:
President Bush Signs American Dream Downpayment Act of 2003

Remarks by the President at Signing of the American Dream Downpayment Act
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Washington, D.C.

1:57 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all. Thank you for coming. Thanks for the warm welcome. It's great to be back at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. This is not my first time here, nor will it be my last. (Applause.) I am here today because we are taking action to bring many thousands of Americans closer to owning a home. Our government is supporting homeownership because it is good for America, it is good for our families, it is good for our economy.

One of the biggest hurdles to homeownership is getting money for a down payment. This administration has recognized that, and so today I'm honored to be here to sign a law that will help many low-income buyers to overcome that hurdle, and to achieve an important part of the American Dream.

I appreciate Alphonso Jackson agreeing to step up and become the Acting Secretary of the Housing and Urban Development. I look forward to his Senate confirmation, a hasty confirmation. (Applause.)

I also want to thank Mel Martinez for doing such a fine job as the Secretary of this important organization. Mel brought integrity and honor to the office. He did a fine job on behalf of all Americans. And we honor you, Mel. (Applause.)

I want to thank all the hardworking officers and employees of HUD. I appreciate your focus and your dedication, your willingness to work on behalf of a better America. (Applause.) I thank very much members of the Congress who have taken time to come and join us for this important bill signing. Senator Wayne Allard from Colorado is with us. Senator Allard, thank you for your work on the floor of the Senate. (Applause.) Chairman of the Financial Services Committee, Mike Oxley, is with us. Congressman, thank you for coming. (Applause.) Congressman Jim Leach from Iowa is with us today. Congressman, thank you for being here. (Applause.) Congresswoman Katherine Harris, who had a lot to do with this bill getting passed, is here with us. Katherine, thank you for coming. (Applause.) Delegate Madeleine Bordallo of Guam is with us today. I'm honored you are here. Thank you for coming, Madeleine. I appreciate you coming. (Applause.)

I, too, want to pay homage to a man I call "Little Woody" -- that would be Rob Woodson. He worked hard in the development of this policy. I think it is safe to say that he was the -- he developed the concept for this policy, a concept embraced by my administration. I'm appreciative that Michelle is here. I also want to thank Dad for coming -- Bob Woodson, who is a social entrepreneur, a person who cares deeply about every American having the right and a chance to own a home. Thank the Woodson family. God bless you all. (Applause.)

I want to thank the representatives of the consumer and housing groups that worked hard on this piece of legislation. I want to thank leaders of the national community organizations that are with us, and members of the real estate industry.

This administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country. And this is a good time for the American homeowner. Today we received a report that showed that new home construction last month reached its highest level in nearly 20 years. (Applause.)

The reason that is so is because there is renewed confidence in our economy. Low interest rates help. They have made owning a home more affordable, for those who refinance and for those who buy a home for the first time. Rising home values have added more than $2.5 trillion to the assets of the American family since the start of 2001.

The rate of homeownership in America now stands a record high of 68.4 percent. Yet there is room for improvement. The rate of homeownership amongst minorities is below 50 percent. And that's not right, and this country needs to do something about it. We need to -- (applause.) We need to close the minority homeownership gap in America so more citizens have the satisfaction and mobility that comes from owning your own home, from owning a piece of the future of America.

Last year I set a goal to add 5.5 million new minority homeowners in America by the end of the decade. That is an attainable goal; that is an essential goal. And we're making progress toward that goal. In the past 18 months, more than 1 million minority families have become homeowners. (Applause.) And there's more that we can do to achieve the goal. The law I sign today will help us build on this progress in a very practical way.

Many people are able to afford a monthly mortgage payment, but are unable to make the down payment. So this legislation will authorize $200 million per year in down payment assistance to at least 40,000 low-income families. These funds will help American families achieve their goals, and at the same time, strengthen our communities.

And there's more to do, as well. We'll continue to pursue a broad agenda to help people own a home. There are three steps I want to describe to you right quickly about what we intend to do. First, those who apply for mortgages should be made aware of all the costs and warned about predatory lenders who take advantage of inexperienced buyers. So we've doubled the funds for housing counseling services, including those run by faith-based and community groups.

We understand that buying a home for the first time is complicated, and we want to simplify the process. We want to help people understand the pros and cons of buying a home. We want people to be fully aware of what it means to buy a home and what it takes. And we want people as best protected as possible from those shysters who would take advantage of first-time buyers. (Applause.)

Second, we need to make the home-buying process more affordable. Some of the biggest up-front costs in a home purchase are the closing costs. Sometimes they catch you by surprise. (Laughter.) Many home buyers do not have the time to shop around looking for a better deal on closing costs. You're kind of stuck with what you're presented with. And so they end up paying more than they should. So we've proposed new rules to make it easier for buyers to shop around and to compare prices on closing costs, so they can get the best deal and the best service possible.

And thirdly, we want to make buying a home simpler. Many first-time buyers look at the paperwork from a loan application, and frankly, get a little nervous about all the fine print. Those forms can be intimidating to the first-time home buyer. They can be intimidating to the second or third-time home buyer, too. (Laughter and applause.) So this administration has proposed new rules to simplify the forms home buyers and homeowners fill out when they apply for a loan or close on a mortgage.

We understand that buying a home is a big step, and so these three recommendations we're making, these three changes in the rules will make that step easier; will enable people to make the step to buying a home -- they'll be able to do so with more confidence. These are practical ways that we are working to expand homeownership across the country.

The dream of homeownership should be attainable for every hardworking American. That's what we want. In this act of Congress I'm going to sign, the regulations that I hope are finalized soon will help thousands of families fulfill the dream.

And so now it my honor, right here at this important Department, the Department responsible for encouraging homeownership in America, to sign the American Dream Downpayment Act. (Applause.)

(The bill is signed.) (Applause.)

END 2:08 P.M. EST
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23am   #13
LATB
A Real Barner

The dream of homeownership should be attainable for every hardworking American.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32am   #14
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,733 Times in 3,443 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
So much for Homes for every American ...
Liberal.

Quote:
The dream of homeownership should be attainable for every hardworking American.
Conservative.

The fundamental difference.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:40am   #15
ChasC5
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Liberal.

Conservative.

The fundamental difference.
You are absolutely accurate in illustrating that standard Conservative Stereotype. Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would have been able to say without being taken as racist.

Good that you presented that fundamental difference in beliefs ... once again; thank you.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:42am   #16
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
You are absolutely accurate in illustrating that standard Conservative Stereotype. Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would have been able to say without being taken as racist.
What Conservative stereotype? What the hell does ANY of what I said have to do with race?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47am   #17
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
What Conservative stereotype? What the hell does ANY of what I said have to do with race?
Ok for the sake of moving this conversation along, I'll pretend it has nothing to do with Race, but remember your own words when identifying the difference between Liberals and Conservatives.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:04am   #18
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Ok for the sake of moving this conversation along, I'll pretend it has nothing to do with Race, but remember your own words when identifying the difference between Liberals and Conservatives.
If you are going to point blank accuse me of making racist comments, which is something that I take offense to even if it is the internet, how about you stop with the bullshit and answer the simple question.

How is what I said race based?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:13am   #19
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
If you are going to point blank accuse me of making racist comments, which is something that I take offense to even if it is the internet, how about you stop with the bullshit and answer the simple question.

How is what I said race based?

/ARCHIVED/

I just what to make sure whenever anyone here talks about the differences, race isn't a factor. I agree with you and I hope you'll continue with that thought process. See ... we agree on something and I'm not throwing insults at you.

Thanks, we've made progress today.

Now to answer your question; I'm certain the people who lost their house 2 doors from me were Conservatives, because that's what they told me. The week they moved in, Wife introduced herself and got to know them. We found out, the husband wasn't regularly working when they moved in and never really had a Job for the 3.5 years they were in it.

I thought, sure was strange ... knowing what the Wife was doing to bring in cash ... Substitute Teacher. Sure didn't last long ... and the expected happened. Don't know what they were thinking back in 2006.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26am   #20
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Ok for the sake of moving this conversation along, I'll pretend it has nothing to do with Race,
Quote:
I just what to make sure whenever anyone here talks about the differences, race isn't a factor. I agree with you and I hope you'll continue with that thought process. See ... we agree on something and I'm not throwing insults at you.
Bullshit. You want to make sure that race is ALWAYS a factor. YOU are the one that brings it into every thread.

Are you really trying to deny that you accused me of making my posts based on race??

Pathetic.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion