Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2013, 3:36pm   #41
theanswriz42
Barn Stall Owner #42
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $597957

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC5LADY View Post
I had a boss once that tried to pull that "he/she said this about you" crap so I asked to have a meeting with those people and him since if there was a problem we needed to get it worked out. He said he would get a meeting set up but whenever I asked him when the meeting was he kept making an excuse. Strange I never did have that meeting.
Yeah, as soon as I walked out of the meeting, I just called the guy since he always called me at night asking if I was doing alright or if he needed to talk to the executive team about any concerns I had, etc.

I'm about as direct as you'll find anywhere so if there's an issue, I want to know about it immediately and I'm not afraid to approach a situation head on. This time, it just bit the VP in the ass.
theanswriz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 4:49pm   #42
Blademaker
Barn Stall Owner #89
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 6,757 Times in 3,413 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $536709986

If you're gonna bail, go ahead and accept the new gig as long as its comparable in what you like and pay-wise.
Use up any sick leave/ vacation time on the soon to be old job.
When that's gone, quit.

Or

If you're gonna stay..........

Quote:
"Grab 'em by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow."
~ President Lyndon Baines Johnson
Just my .02 centavos worth...........

Blademaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 5:02pm   #43
RED-85-Z51
The Hooptie Whisperer
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1975165

Told one of my former bosses to suck my dick, kiss my ass and go **** a cow....in the same breath, in front of customers and his wife...

And walked out like this..

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 5:14pm   #44
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.8%

Thanked 7,730 Times in 3,440 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

When I was a LTJG in the Navy I stormed up the the bridge, reality TV show style, to tell off my boss (an O3) after he made a chickenshit decision that almost got me and another person killed. Needless to say that after almost dying I was not in a great mood. 1 of my guys saw the fire in my eyes and grabbed me to try to hold me back so I did the first thing I could think of... I took the hard hat off of my head and threw it across the bridge and hit him square in the head with it.

As I sat in the XO's office getting counselled, the conversation was pretty amusing.

"On the record, you know why I am writing you up and you know exactly what you did wrong... right?"
"Yes, sir"

"Off the record, I would have knocked his ass out, now GTFO"
"Yes, sir"

When the XO left for his next duty station he called me into his office, ripped up the paperwork and threw it in the trash.

It really was a hell of a throw, if I don't say so myself.

Does that count?
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 5:19pm   #45
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Does that count?
Yep!

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to island14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 5:20pm   #46
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Let your manager know you will be resigning at the meeting but don't tell the VP.

At the meeting, hand the VP your resignation notice, get up and walk out.

If he tries to talk to you, just keep walking.

Oh and be sure to hide some fresh durian in his office somewhere.

Just a thought/idea.
Naaaa...Then the manager wins.

It would be more fun to work from behind the scenes and try to take his job..
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 5:57pm   #47
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $562
Thumbs up

i have hung told him to f off and not answer his call after i hung up on him
he now has respect when i talk to him
7125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 6:12pm   #48
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

The best revenge is going to work for a competing company and picking off all the talent at the old company to come work for you. I pretty much destroyed one place that way.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 8:42pm   #49
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Thanked 1,610 Times in 761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $173

When I moved to the position in the company I currently work for, I was promised a promotion. Being senior in the company to all the others there, I was sure it was a done deal. Three weeks later they gave the position to one of the other guys.

I drove back to them main office, walked into the managers office, closed the door and told him what I thought of him, his promises and where he stood with me. I excused myself, walked over to his bosses office, closed the door, and told him the exact same thing. (The f-bomb fell on both occasions.)

I then walked into the now COO's office (He was at that time the Senior-VP and the guy who hired me years earlier) and told him the deal and what had been done. He and I talked for a while, I didn't quit and I'm still not the boss, but the guy who screwed me over is no longer with the company. The guy who IS the boss doesn't mess with me and allows me to do what I need to do. We're more peers than boss and minion, so it's all good.

Now that I finished my degree, I've got my eyes out for something different, but the pay is good, job is a pain in the ass but, the money makes up for a lot of it.

Oh, and anything I get promised from then on, is given to me , in writing, and signed by a Senior Manager.
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 9:05pm   #50
bsmith
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,069 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002313

Yes, and I still work for him.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58am   #51
ft laud mike
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $934310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Do you have some special type of revenge planned? Upper decking his private toilet? Fish guts on his heating system? Limburger cheese on his exhaust manifold?
Aren't you a chemist?.. how about butyl seleno-mercaptan ? (and yes I googled "smelly chemical compounds")
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Ragtop View Post
I've been on the receiving end. I helped him find his freedom and happiness that afternoon. it was a win-win situation, from my point of view.

When I was in HS I worked as a dishwasher at bennigans, I was bitching to a friend who was a cook about something job related he turned to me and said "if your that unhappy you should just quit".. I thought about what he said for a while ...I had never really thought of the idea of quitting. There is always somerthing else out there, shouldn't have to be miserable all the time
ft laud mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 1:53am   #52
Ms.Gem
Mistress.Gem
Activity: 4.4%

Location: Depends what day you ask..but not where I want to be... USA
Thanked 1,381 Times in 926 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4267383

I was to lazy to read the whole thread. But if the ex bossy man (aka ex) counts then why yes, yes I have.
Ms.Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 2:11am   #53
NeedSpeed
A Real Barner

Thanked 5,579 Times in 2,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1553643

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswriz42 View Post
So long story short, I was hired onto my company by a VP who I know quite well and worked with at a prior company. He calls me a week before I'm to start and says he's putting in his notice that he's going to leave the company but I'll be ok and no one will hold any of that against me or treat me poorly as a result of it.

My first consulting gig, I get stuck working with the guy who I ended up replacing at this company who was totally incompetent and just an all around asshole so I pretty much did the best I could to roll with it and move on. After that I get called into a meeting with my boss (another VP) at the time and he was telling me how he doesn't think I'm fit to be a consultant, etc. and that there's no way someone as young as I am has the knowledge required to be a true systems architect which left me going

Eventually, I get a new manager who thinks I'm awesome, everyone I work with at the company thinks I'm great and tells this VP guy as much, but fast forward to two weeks ago, he pulls me and my new manager into his office saying all these people think I'm incompetent and don't want to work with me, which left both my manager and myself again going and then I was given 7 weeks to find a new job until I'd be terminated.

I called one of the guys who this VP accused of saying bad things about me just to find out if he had a clue what was going on (this guy I actually do trust and he's been watching my back the entire time I've been employed at this shit company) and he was just completely livid because he didn't say anything even remotely negative about me. So now me, my new manager, and this guy are just totally pissed off. The other guy finally confronts the VP about it and now the VP wants to have a meeting with me on Thursday to discuss things. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll really be able to keep my composure but I guess we'll find out.

On a brighter note, I just got a job offer a couple hours ago for a pretty big company which is why I'm really not afraid of going off on this dipshit.

Sorry if this is just a big rant but I'm pretty irritated with the whole fiasco.
So you're a contractor and got 7 weeks notice to find a job?????????

NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 8:09am   #54
sanchez

Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
IIRC legally there's only so much the old employer can say.
That really depends on how well people where you are going know the people you are coming from. If you think that there are not some pretty frank discussions going on between hiring managers you are 100% wrong. When you get someone's resume you always run it through the mental Rolodex to see who you know at the companies they have worked at, then you make a few unofficial phone calls.

Is it through HR? No. Will it stop you from getting a job? Absolutely.
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 8:52am   #55
theanswriz42
Barn Stall Owner #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpeed View Post
So you're a contractor and got 7 weeks notice to find a job?????????

No, I'm a full time employee working for a consulting company/VAR
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45am   #56
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
That really depends on how well people where you are going know the people you are coming from. If you think that there are not some pretty frank discussions going on between hiring managers you are 100% wrong. When you get someone's resume you always run it through the mental Rolodex to see who you know at the companies they have worked at, then you make a few unofficial phone calls.

Is it through HR? No. Will it stop you from getting a job? Absolutely.

There have been several situations where I and a few coworkers have been approached by a manager and asked about a potential contractor that he was considering. If you're a screw-up, word gets around, and you don't.

If you're gonna tell a manager to go take a hike, you'd better be damn sure that a) your reasons are sound, b) you have a good rep within your industry and c) enough in the bank to carry you over in the event that others don't feel the same way you do about a and b.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04am   #57
NeedSpeed
A Real Barner

Thanked 5,579 Times in 2,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1553643

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswriz42 View Post
No, I'm a full time employee working for a consulting company/VAR
That's a little different, but still 7 weeks. Most people get about 7 minutes.

I'd just take the 7 weeks and find a different job. You got talent, go find a company that respects you.
NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08am   #58
Doug28450
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1126385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post

There have been several situations where I and a few coworkers have been approached by a manager and asked about a potential contractor that he was considering. If you're a screw-up, word gets around, and you don't.

If you're gonna tell a manager to go take a hike, you'd better be damn sure that a) your reasons are sound, b) you have a good rep within your industry and c) enough in the bank to carry you over in the event that others don't feel the same way you do about a and b.
I go to church with a fellow who did something similar. He worked in Chicago as an artist at an advertising firm. He had some discussions with his supervisors regarding work and some of the software products the company was using. As the squeaky wheel, instead of getting greased, he ended up being a spare. He was let go and ten years later he has still not secured artist work in the Chicago area.
Doug28450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17am   #59
theanswriz42
Barn Stall Owner #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpeed View Post
That's a little different, but still 7 weeks. Most people get about 7 minutes.

I'd just take the 7 weeks and find a different job. You got talent, go find a company that respects you.
Oh I already accepted a job offer yesterday so I'm golden
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50am   #60
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.1%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,840 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Have I ever told a boss to go phuck themselves. Many times!

As a construction guy we are not as laid back or possibly pussified as other occupations go. Most all doing that kind work (construction) are Type A personalities, with some even AA or possibly AAA.

Most times it’s just a shout match and you’re either fired or walk off. A nice thing about having a skilled trade is the ease of finding work. One boss and I did go to fisticuffs and as I bloodied him up pretty good I quit and found a much better job.

After I retired at age 55 I used my CDL and got a job delivering building supplies. The owner a little guy of about 5'6" with a very big mouth used to intimidate the other drivers, assemblers and dock workers. Most of those guys were nice but not that well educated and very worried about losing their job and this boss/owner knew that.

He got real nasty with me, and as I do not back up told him a few things. He then said I’m thinking seriously about firing you. I then cleared the air real good by telling him, well go ahead and fire me asshole I have been on much better jobs that paid me 2 1/2 times more than you paid me and being fired is no big deal. I said remember I’m retired and get a dam good pension and I’m only working for mostly something to do till my wife retires and we move north. At that point he got rather confused as nobody ever stood up to him.

HE then said go calm down and go back to work and we will both forget about this.

FWIW I had no problem calming down but our little "debate" was heard by about 10 people who were having a hard time stifling a laugh and for the next year till I quit we never had another problem. I never saw him act like that again to anyone there!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic