Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2024, 7:59am   #221
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Points: 12,252, Level: 76
Activity: 54.8%
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4,269
Thanks: 658
Thanked 4,007 Times in 1,816 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Battery happens to have 150k mile warranty. So, even if battery was bad, it would be $0.
And what is the range and capacity at say, 100,000 miles ?
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 8:43am   #222
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
The bold part is total BS and has zero to do with pricing. Most small tradesmen business don't fool with that chit. Hell most don't even have a website.

I deal with tradesmen/service providers and vendors everyday. And the rates/quotes are very close between the businesses. Typically the big difference (if there is any) usually is one company is licensed and legitimate with an office/shop and small staff and the others are fly by night unlicensed hacks working out of a broken truck.
In this particular case, I'm 100% certain that they were licensed as I remember the main reason why they didn't want to come out was due to the permitting agency being too far away for them and the work required a permit. They wouldn't be able to pull a permit if they were unlicensed. I remember the conversation I had with them. They didn't want to go all the way to Bartow to pull the permit. It was too much hassle for them and lost time.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 8:47am   #223
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
And what is the range and capacity at say, 100,000 miles ?
I'm at 39k miles, so I don't know about 100k miles. What I know for a fact is that a friend of mine has a 2014 Model S 85 which he bought new in 2014. He has close to 200k miles at this point and still gets over 90% of his original range after almost 200k miles. His "NEW" range was 265 miles. He still gets close to 250 mile range, so less than 10% total degradation after almost 200k miles.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 9:41am   #224
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 60,981, Level: 100
Activity: 41.6%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 14,274
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 7,930 Times in 3,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
In this particular case, I'm 100% certain that they were licensed as I remember the main reason why they didn't want to come out was due to the permitting agency being too far away for them and the work required a permit. They wouldn't be able to pull a permit if they were unlicensed. I remember the conversation I had with them. They didn't want to go all the way to Bartow to pull the permit. It was too much hassle for them and lost time.
You were replacing a main. Great. That's not a huge job. If it was some tiny company as you claim, maybe they simply couldn't free up time when you wanted it done, maybe a lot of things. In short, your job wasn't worth the time, which makes perfect sense.

The problem is that you somehow decided to twist a one-off experience that is not even remotely close to the full picture into claims like this (because you think it helps your "truck" argument):


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
You won't see a contractor in Orlando coming out to Lakeland which is 35 to 40 miles away.
"You won't see a contractor..." Your words, not taken out of context. That is not a "maybe". That is not a "some" That is a blanket and certain statement. There's nothing ambiguous about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Most of those only serve areas within like 20 miles of their base office.
Most? 20 miles? Based on what exactly? Your experience of 1 guy? You are making shit up because you think it helps your argument, just like you always do. You realize that you are arguing against a guy (LATB) that quite literally does this for a living, right?

You used 1 questionable personal experience to make an absolutely ridiculous grand claim that covers every company across multiple industries, which is absolute bullshit.

What's worse, is that even in the face of direct evidence and proof that you're absolutely wrong, you're still f**king arguing!

Are you really that completely incapable of knowing when to stop and simply admit that you were wrong... or are you so hellbent on trying to argue the merits of your beloved Tesla that reality doesn't matter and you don't even care that you're wrong?
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 9:50am   #225
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Points: 59,827, Level: 100
Activity: 75.5%
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: La Isla de Ira
Posts: 18,303
Thanks: 4,049
Thanked 19,069 Times in 8,475 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
I'm opposed to a lot of things - especially here in California - but somehow they just keep right on happening. This is why I use a De-Googled phone and drive an older car without cellular telemetry capability.
Reason #3472 why I use a De-Googled phone: Apps on your phone are telling insurance companmies how you drive. De-Googled phones don't have those apps.



https://arity.com/
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:05am   #226
LATB
A Real Barner
Points: 127,413, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Acres is the place to be...
Posts: 39,259
Thanks: 6,677
Thanked 25,003 Times in 11,345 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
In this particular case, I'm 100% certain that they were licensed as I remember the main reason why they didn't want to come out was due to the permitting agency being too far away for them and the work required a permit. They wouldn't be able to pull a permit if they were unlicensed. I remember the conversation I had with them. They didn't want to go all the way to Bartow to pull the permit. It was too much hassle for them and lost time.
That may be entirely true but it is moot to the discussion. Again (Iím getting tired of ringing this bell), tradesmen and service providers can and will travel 30-40-50 miles to the job. And often travel 100 miles or more during a day from job to job. Especially MEP service and maintenance tech guys. And I know plenty of both small and medium/large operators.

Hell, Iíve done 30 miles already this morning to my 1st stop. And Iíll travel nearly 200 miles before the day is over.

And back to the origin of this discussionÖ
The cyber truck and EV trucks in general, are NOT conducive to the trades and services industry. Fact. Period.

Please park the stubbornness and pause the zealotry for a moment and admit what is the undisputed truth.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 10:27am   #227
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
That may be entirely true but it is moot to the discussion. Again (Iím getting tired of ringing this bell), tradesmen and service providers can and will travel 30-40-50 miles to the job. And often travel 100 miles or more during a day from job to job. Especially MEP service and maintenance tech guys. And I know plenty of both small and medium/large operators.

Hell, Iíve done 30 miles already this morning to my 1st stop. And Iíll travel nearly 200 miles before the day is over.

And back to the origin of this discussionÖ
The cyber truck and EV trucks in general, are NOT conducive to the trades and services industry. Fact. Period.

Please park the stubbornness and pause the zealotry for a moment and admit what is the undisputed truth.
If you are a large business with several technicians, that's likely the case but if you are a mom and pop place with 2 or 3 technicians and you are usually fully booked within the local area, they may pass on jobs that are too far away as time is money for them. They can take jobs that are closer and lose less billable time. Sure, if you aren't fully booked all the time, there is no reason not to but smaller places don't have that luxury.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:32am   #228
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Points: 41,455, Level: 100
Activity: 79.4%
 
GTOguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Those satisfactions are permanent
Posts: 15,897
Thanks: 6,677
Thanked 8,313 Times in 4,130 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
If you are a large business with several technicians, that's likely the case but if you are a mom and pop place with 2 or 3 technicians and you are usually fully booked within the local area, they may pass on jobs that are too far away as time is money for them. They can take jobs that are closer and lose less billable time. Sure, if you aren't fully booked all the time, there is no reason not to but smaller places don't have that luxury.
That's it----tell Lars how trades and businesses work in America. You know so much more than he does and have been in the trades for so much longer than he has.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 2:21pm   #229
LATB
A Real Barner
Points: 127,413, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Acres is the place to be...
Posts: 39,259
Thanks: 6,677
Thanked 25,003 Times in 11,345 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
If you are a large business with several technicians, that's likely the case but if you are a mom and pop place with 2 or 3 technicians and you are usually fully booked within the local area, they may pass on jobs that are too far away as time is money for them. They can take jobs that are closer and lose less billable time. Sure, if you aren't fully booked all the time, there is no reason not to but smaller places don't have that luxury.
None of that you posted here ^^^ is based on fact. And you are making multiple assumptions.

Your efforts to explain away everything and anything is insane, literally...per the definition.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 2:21pm   #230
LATB
A Real Barner
Points: 127,413, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Acres is the place to be...
Posts: 39,259
Thanks: 6,677
Thanked 25,003 Times in 11,345 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
That's it----tell Lars how trades and businesses work in America. You know so much more than he does and have been in the trades for so much longer than he has.
Clueless he is. And too proud and stubborn to admit that he really doesn't know WTF he is talking about.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 3:15pm   #231
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Points: 57,417, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
Tikiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: An hour outside the swamp
Posts: 12,005
Thanks: 5,555
Thanked 12,260 Times in 4,522 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
That may be entirely true but it is moot to the discussion. Again (Iím getting tired of ringing this bell), tradesmen and service providers can and will travel 30-40-50 miles to the job. And often travel 100 miles or more during a day from job to job. Especially MEP service and maintenance tech guys. And I know plenty of both small and medium/large operators.

Hell, Iíve done 30 miles already this morning to my 1st stop. And Iíll travel nearly 200 miles before the day is over.

And back to the origin of this discussionÖ
The cyber truck and EV trucks in general, are NOT conducive to the trades and services industry. Fact. Period.

Please park the stubbornness and pause the zealotry for a moment and admit what is the undisputed truth.


Absolutely. When we redid our kitchen three years ago, I had a place all picked out for the granite work, but one of my wife's friends insisted that we had to use her favorite place. They are out of Springfield which is quite a haul and I said as much, but she insisted that they would do it. She's a high-priced lawyer (not a budget reject like four penny uses) and they redid her kitchen in her home in Arlington. She liked them so much, when she bought a mansion in Middleburg, she hired them to do all the granite work there as well. She gave me her guy's name and number and, when I called him and told him where we lived, he said they would do it but would charge an extra $150 for a "trip fee". Fair enough. The pedophile was in office and gas was sky high. And they did an excellent job. Would hire them again in an instant.

Interesting fact. The entire company is Mongolian owned and run. We went to their showroom and warehouse and every employee was Mongolian. When they showed up at my place, none of them wanted to exit the truck. They actually knew what my dogs were! Most people have never even heard of the breed, but these people knew exactly what they were. I guess Mongolia isn't that far from Russia. I showed them that they were friendly, but none of them would pet them and they were really happy to get the job done and leave.
Tikiman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 3:25pm   #232
GixxerBill RIP
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 366, Level: 7
Activity: 25.5%
 
GixxerBill RIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: Make Believe Acres is the place to be...
Posts: 187
Thanks: 65
Thanked 78 Times in 46 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I'm at 39k miles, so I don't know about 100k miles. What I know for a fact is that a friend of mine has a 2014 Model S 85 which he bought new in 2014. He has close to 200k miles at this point and still gets over 90% of his original range after almost 200k miles. His "NEW" range was 265 miles. He still gets close to 250 mile range, so less than 10% total degradation after almost 200k miles.
When flying is a much better option than driving a Tesla from LA to Vegas you just know that Elon dick riding can only get you brownie points with the save the planet cucks and nothing else
GixxerBill RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:56pm   #233
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Clueless he is. And too proud and stubborn to admit that he really doesn't know WTF he is talking about.
I'm talking about an ACTUAL experience with an Electrician. It's 100% a fact that they didn't want to go to Lakeland and pull the permit in Bartow, which is even farter away.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 11:01pm   #234
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerBill RIP View Post
When flying is a much better option than driving a Tesla from LA to Vegas you just know that Elon dick riding can only get you brownie points with the save the planet cucks and nothing else
It depends on how many people you are taking. The Model X can seat up to 7. Now, let's say you take 7 people from LA to Vegas. It may cost you less than $100 round trip for Supercharging or so, most likely much less than that (I'm not familiar with the charging rates in that area).
Now, I doubt that you get round trip flights for less than $100 per person. 7 people = at least $700 for flight tickets.
Driving for longer distances may not be worth it if it's just one person but the savings are pretty significant if you take an entire family.
We drive to McAllen Texas virtually every year (2700 mile round trip). Charging costs about $350 (unless I have free supercharging miles like I have right now for 2500 miles). A plane ticket to McAllen is about $350 per person. 4 people x $350 = $1400. Then we need a rental car for the time we are there, add another $200 as we need to rent a larger vehicle.
$1600 and that doesn't even include Hotels. If we drive, it's $350 vs. $1600. Nice savings.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 5:44am   #235
LATB
A Real Barner
Points: 127,413, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Acres is the place to be...
Posts: 39,259
Thanks: 6,677
Thanked 25,003 Times in 11,345 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I'm talking about an ACTUAL experience with an Electrician. It's 100% a fact that they didn't want to go to Lakeland and pull the permit in Bartow, which is even farter away.
And I'm talking about ACTUAL experiences with 100's of tradesmen/service guys and vendors including electricians. It is a 100% fact that most will travel many miles to the job and even more miles between jobs.
Why is this so hard for you to understand?
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 6:00am   #236
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
And I'm talking about ACTUAL experiences with 100's of tradesmen/service guys and vendors including electricians. It is a 100% fact that most will travel many miles to the job and even more miles between jobs.
Why is this so hard for you to understand?
I never claimed that "ALL" tradesmen refuse to travel outside of their area. All I did was to report my experience. They even explained the reason WHY they would not want to do the work in my area.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 6:29am   #237
LATB
A Real Barner
Points: 127,413, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Acres is the place to be...
Posts: 39,259
Thanks: 6,677
Thanked 25,003 Times in 11,345 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I never claimed that "ALL" tradesmen refuse to travel outside of their area. All I did was to report my experience. They even explained the reason WHY they would not want to do the work in my area.
And you used that one experience to support your position that EV trucks would work well for tradesmen. They don't.

Btw-they may have told you that the distance was an issue for them but there may have been other reasons.
Often, "we are too busy" or "that is outside our service area", means that they don't want to do that particular job. Maybe it's too small or too large or that just don't particularly like the owner.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 6:40am   #238
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 60,981, Level: 100
Activity: 41.6%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 14,274
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 7,930 Times in 3,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I'm talking about an ACTUAL experience with an Electrician. It's 100% a fact that they didn't want to go to Lakeland and pull the permit in Bartow, which is even farter away.
Holy shit. For once in your life, know when to just stop.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 6:45am   #239
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Points: 19,120, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0%
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lakeland/FL
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 132
Thanked 625 Times in 311 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
And you used that one experience to support your position that EV trucks would work well for tradesmen. They don't.

Btw-they may have told you that the distance was an issue for them but there may have been other reasons.
Often, "we are too busy" or "that is outside our service area", means that they don't want to do that particular job. Maybe it's too small or too large or that just don't particularly like the owner.
It really depends on their usage pattern. For those who average less than 200 miles in a day on their trucks, EV trucks would work just fine. Those who cover a larger distance than that, they would not work fine. It's that simple.
Even if one day, they need 300 miles, the extra 100 miles can be charged at a Supercharger in 10 minutes on such day. As I said many times, it depends on the usage pattern. The moment you would have to spend more than 20 minute charging in a day, a gas or diesel truck would work better.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 7:18am   #240
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 60,981, Level: 100
Activity: 41.6%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 14,274
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 7,930 Times in 3,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Holy shit. For once in your life, know when to just stop.
Or not.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:20am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 - 2024 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page