Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2019, 4:48pm   #201
IrishSpuds
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 1,637, Level: 24
Activity: 1.4%
 
IrishSpuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 308
Thanks: 136
Thanked 268 Times in 111 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1414
Default

I just sent seasons greetings to all across the pond.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1600695880
IrishSpuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpuds For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 4:59pm   #202
Lipstic
Barn Stall Owner #0380
Points: 11,627, Level: 74
Activity: 13.3%
 
Lipstic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,989
Thanks: 2,123
Thanked 1,463 Times in 468 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2004865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
I just sent seasons greetings to all across the pond.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1600695880


I posted in your thread
Lipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 5:01pm   #203
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Points: 6,917, Level: 57
Activity: 99.0%
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,167
Thanks: 836
Thanked 1,705 Times in 754 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
I just sent seasons greetings to all across the pond.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1600695880


Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 5:09pm   #204
Mick
A Real Barner
Points: 3,160, Level: 36
Activity: 86.6%
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,095
Thanks: 201
Thanked 972 Times in 460 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post


Where did you find childhood videos of Lipstic?
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 5:10pm   #205
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Points: 6,917, Level: 57
Activity: 99.0%
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,167
Thanks: 836
Thanked 1,705 Times in 754 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Where did you find childhood videos of Lipstic?
It’s a secret.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 6:23pm   #206
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Points: 29,748, Level: 100
Activity: 1.8%
 
Y2Kvert4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pewaukee,WI
Posts: 8,083
Thanks: 1,005
Thanked 4,659 Times in 2,121 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $36195631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
I posted my settings - show me which one is wrong.
Go to UserCP. At the bottom of left menu you should see User Tagging settings. Open that and check the box that says “Disable Mention Emails”, then save changes at the bottom of the page.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 6:35pm   #207
The_Dude
Bantayan Kids '14
Points: 19,569, Level: 96
Activity: 51.8%
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,138
Thanks: 2,949
Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,036 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1003901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Go to UserCP. At the bottom of left menu you should see User Tagging settings. Open that and check the box that says “Disable Mention Emails”, then save changes at the bottom of the page.

I never would have found that.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 9:59pm   #208
Patsgarage
Vette Barn Regular
Points: 630, Level: 12
Activity: 1.4%
 
Patsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: CFOT Refugee Standing Outside the Quick Stop
Posts: 90
Thanks: 17
Thanked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
This is actually a fairly technical question that I am sure I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to answer fully. I can get you started though:

I am in my house typing on my laptop. The way I get on the internet is to pay an "ISP" = Internet Service Provider. The ISP provides the connection that plugs into the back of my wireless router. The ISP "assigns" the IP address to my router based on a bunch of things, most importantly who my ISP is, and my physical location. Anything connecting to the internet via my wireless router, including phones/tablets/laptops using my wifi, devices like my fire-sticks and AppleTV that provide my connection to Netflix or MLB.tv, etc. will have the same IP address which is the address of my router.

This address is what my son (who is an expert on this shit) calls "relatively static". My understanding of what he said is that that my ISP CAN change my router's IP address, but such activities require "resources", which means it costs money, so they don't do it unless there is a reason. Said another way, as a user, I can consider my router's IP address to be static.

IMO, once you leave the confines of your own home wifi, you get into a more technical discussion that I'm not going to attempt to tackle. I'm sure a Google search will be able to connect you to more informed descriptions.
Makes sense, but what if you post regularly from two different IPs ? I split my time between home and work, I think my work IP even comes up as out of state (where the servers are) so I wonder..........
Patsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:16pm   #209
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
Points: 10,422, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3%
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tír Na Nóg
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,039 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
This address is what my son (who is an expert on this shit) calls "relatively static". My understanding of what he said is that that my ISP CAN change my router's IP address, but such activities require "resources", which means it costs money, so they don't do it unless there is a reason. Said another way, as a user, I can consider my router's IP address to be static.
Your son is mostly correct. It actually costs your ISP nothing to change your assigned IP address, but their DHCP servers are configured to preserve the MAC-to-IP-address mapping under most circumstances, simply out of convenience.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:21pm   #210
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
Points: 10,422, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3%
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tír Na Nóg
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,039 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
Makes sense, but what if you post regularly from two different IPs ? I split my time between home and work, I think my work IP even comes up as out of state (where the servers are) so I wonder..........
So now your forum account is associated with multiple IP addresses, and that's perfectly OK - you might log in from your phone, or from work, or from Starbucks, and each of those places will have a different IP address. So if you were to log in regularly from your local Starbucks, and then some new member were to join and log in from that same Starbucks, there might be some confusion on the part of the moderation team.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:26pm   #211
IrishSpuds
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 1,637, Level: 24
Activity: 1.4%
 
IrishSpuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 308
Thanks: 136
Thanked 268 Times in 111 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstic View Post
I posted in your thread
God Bless Lippy
IrishSpuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:39pm   #212
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Points: 6,917, Level: 57
Activity: 99.0%
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,167
Thanks: 836
Thanked 1,705 Times in 754 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
God Bless Lippy
My reply doesn’t count?
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 10:42pm   #213
IrishSpuds
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 1,637, Level: 24
Activity: 1.4%
 
IrishSpuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 308
Thanks: 136
Thanked 268 Times in 111 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
My reply doesn’t count?
God Bless Steve_R.
IrishSpuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpuds For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 7:33am   #214
Mick
A Real Barner
Points: 3,160, Level: 36
Activity: 86.6%
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,095
Thanks: 201
Thanked 972 Times in 460 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Your son is mostly correct. It actually costs your ISP nothing to change your assigned IP address, but their DHCP servers are configured to preserve the MAC-to-IP-address mapping under most circumstances, simply out of convenience.
ISP companies don't pay their employees?

If someone is spending work hours on it, it's costing the company money.
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 7:39am   #215
Mick
A Real Barner
Points: 3,160, Level: 36
Activity: 86.6%
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,095
Thanks: 201
Thanked 972 Times in 460 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
Makes sense, but what if you post regularly from two different IPs ? I split my time between home and work, I think my work IP even comes up as out of state (where the servers are) so I wonder..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
So now your forum account is associated with multiple IP addresses, and that's perfectly OK - you might log in from your phone, or from work, or from Starbucks, and each of those places will have a different IP address. So if you were to log in regularly from your local Starbucks, and then some new member were to join and log in from that same Starbucks, there might be some confusion on the part of the moderation team.
^^^^This.

This is why a basic banning was to simply lock the account associated with your user name. You can go anywhere in the world and try to log in, and your IP address at that moment won't matter.

We got into the IP address discussion because some folks started talking about trying to get around the ban by opening a new account, but your IP address will probably give you away. Someone above said they have bots that check for that, AFAIK, we didn't have such things when I was a mod, but it has been about a decade since I last served in that capacity, so I'm sure software upgrades have been significant.

But like I said above, trying to game the system to get around a ban is a dick move, and normally earns you a perma, which I am fine with.
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 7:59am   #216
A/E
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 9,308, Level: 66
Activity: 12.1%
 
A/E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Lake Michigan's South Shore
Posts: 443
Thanks: 56
Thanked 426 Times in 201 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002450
Default

Name:  3fb8d425afda68a4ad064d63abf6b425--christmas-vacation-family-christmas.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  13.3 KB

Post #20

Wished a HaPpY NeW yEaR to our " Silenced Members "
A/E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 8:00am   #217
Rodnok1
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 2,675, Level: 33
Activity: 65.6%
 
Rodnok1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 924
Thanks: 142
Thanked 509 Times in 272 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
^^^^This.

This is why a basic banning was to simply lock the account associated with your user name. You can go anywhere in the world and try to log in, and your IP address at that moment won't matter.

We got into the IP address discussion because some folks started talking about trying to get around the ban by opening a new account, but your IP address will probably give you away. Someone above said they have bots that check for that, AFAIK, we didn't have such things when I was a mod, but it has been about a decade since I last served in that capacity, so I'm sure software upgrades have been significant.

But like I said above, trying to game the system to get around a ban is a dick move, and normally earns you a perma, which I am fine with.
Some sites ban multiple accounts from same IP addresses, so you have to request additional accounts manually. Yes banned users would/do make multiple accounts to stir the pot.
My IPs show up from all over NC using my cell as Internet from the way they route things.
I was banned from a site when someone in my area had an account and was banned apparently..
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 8:11am   #218
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
Points: 10,422, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3%
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tír Na Nóg
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,039 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
ISP companies don't pay their employees?

If someone is spending work hours on it, it's costing the company money.
The process is completely automated.

The marginal cost to assign you a new IP address is literally zero.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 8:15am   #219
Egnalf
A Real Barner
Points: 4,152, Level: 43
Activity: 51.8%
 
Egnalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1,210
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1,504 Times in 649 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
The process is completely automated.

The marginal cost to assign you a new IP address is literally zero.
<forum research assistant> well technically, while it maybe automated, that little change causes the server farm activity to go up for .4 nanoseconds. That increase in activity causes a slightly higher use of current by the server, which also results in an added load of 7 btuh of cooling, so there is SOME incremental cost, however small it may be. <forum research assistant>
Egnalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 8:27am   #220
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
Points: 10,422, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3%
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tír Na Nóg
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,039 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnalf View Post
<UD> well technically, while it maybe automated, that little change causes the server farm activity to go up for .4 nanoseconds. That increase in activity causes a slightly higher use of current by the server, which also results in an added load of 7 btuh of cooling, so there is SOME incremental cost, however small it may be. </UD>
* Markup tags fixt.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:41pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page