Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2013, 9:54am   #61
Chuck A
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 3,051 Times in 2,236 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2601174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Well, you say you have no say in the thing, and that your son won't even take out the trash without pitching a bitch, and that your wife pretty much tells you what's what. And you don't seem to mind. At least that's how it reads in this thread.

I guess I was just raised differently. Hell, I helped prepare and pour our driveway at our house in Illinois when I was about 7 years old. I painted the new garage at that age too. Well, the parts I could reach anyway. And I had to do it right too. I had to mow the lawn every week for years, no excuses. Had other duties also. We all did. And they didn't pay us to do them, although my parent's would occasionally give me some sort of a small allowance, like a couple of dollars a week.
i understand your point but i have been going through a lot with cutting my fingers off, working 6-7 days a week and other crap that really dont need to be told, i rather just let things happen and since we are doing well financially , i let alot of things slide, and the most important the wife is a breast cancer survivor so she gets a big pass
Chuck A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck A For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 7:33pm   #62
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A View Post
i understand your point but i have been going through a lot with cutting my fingers off, working 6-7 days a week and other crap that really dont need to be told, i rather just let things happen and since we are doing well financially , i let alot of things slide, and the most important the wife is a breast cancer survivor so she gets a big pass
I forgot you were the finger chopper, sorry. Carry on, don't listen to me.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 7:39pm   #63
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 21,885 Times in 8,904 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
Just sent you a PM Chuck.

Jeff
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 7:43pm   #64
Fastguy
Barn Stall Owner #92
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,401 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7534993

You cut your fingers off and the kid still won't take out the trash?
Fastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fastguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 7:43pm   #65
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
He's probably gay... Build a tennis court..
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 7:52pm   #66
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Well, you say you have no say in the thing, and that your son won't even take out the trash without pitching a bitch, and that your wife pretty much tells you what's what. And you don't seem to mind. At least that's how it reads in this thread.

I guess I was just raised differently. Hell, I helped prepare and pour our driveway at our house in Illinois when I was about 7 years old. I painted the new garage at that age too. Well, the parts I could reach anyway. And I had to do it right too. I had to mow the lawn every week for years, no excuses. Had other duties also. We all did. And they didn't pay us to do them, although my parent's would occasionally give me some sort of a small allowance, like a couple of dollars a week.
Same here....
Someone needs to put their Superman Underoos back on and take control back.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 8:46pm   #67
tshirts and jeans
Barn Raising I,II
Activity: 2.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4527

ok.....so i may make someone mad ...but my mom always said that my mouth would be the death of me.......so here i go....

my mom was 78 when she died of ovarian cancer.....she had the cancer for six years, went into remission twice before she passed......she never stopped doing anything.....one month before she died she was tilling and planting her garden.....mowing her 2.5 acre yard and weed eating it also.....she lived alone up until 2 weeks before she died and then i moved home to take care of her.....

my point is.....surviving cancer does not mean you get to be queen.....it means god gave you the opportunity to continue living and be thankful for every day you have with the ones you love.......you do not boss the ones you love nor do you let them have everything they want just because they want it.....

furthermore a half grown man (your son) needs some lessons in respect.....you and your wife obviously have had some medical issues and have worked hard to get where you are......and you can't get him to take trash out....wow....just wow.....i am just wondering what is going to happen to him when he has a boss that is telling him what he has to do or be fired... ....and you and your wife are not there to take care of him.... or is he going to live you all his life....when he is married (if some girl will have him) is she going to have to do everything....i.e....take out the trash.....

i am sorry but please do your son a favor and teach him the meaning of hard work, respect, and the value of money..... ....and i am not meaning to disrespect you or your wife and the way you raise your son but i would be very concerned if i were you about the man he will become without knowing these things....rant over......
tshirts and jeans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tshirts and jeans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 8:52pm   #68
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 21,885 Times in 8,904 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirts and jeans View Post
ok.....so i may make someone mad ...but my mom always said that my mouth would be the death of me.......so here i go....
.....snip..........
Well said
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 9:23pm   #69
NCC-1701
Barn Stall Owner #1269

Thanked 3,598 Times in 1,444 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $232471

Quote:

my mom was 78 when she died of ovarian cancer.....she had the cancer for six years, went into remission twice before she passed......she never stopped doing anything.....one month before she died she was tilling and planting her garden.....mowing her 2.5 acre yard and weed eating it also.....she lived alone up until 2 weeks before she died and then i moved home to take care of her.....

my point is.....surviving cancer does not mean you get to be queen.....it means god gave you the opportunity to continue living and be thankful for every day you have with the ones you love.......you do not boss the ones you love nor do you let them have everything they want just because they want it.....

furthermore a half grown man (your son) needs some lessons in respect.....you and your wife obviously have had some medical issues and have worked hard to get where you are......and you can't get him to take trash out....wow....just wow.....i am just wondering what is going to happen to him when he has a boss that is telling him what he has to do or be fired... ....and you and your wife are not there to take care of him.... or is he going to live you all his life....when he is married (if some girl will have him) is she going to have to do everything....i.e....take out the trash.....

i am sorry but please do your son a favor and teach him the meaning of hard work, respect, and the value of money..... ....and i am not meaning to disrespect you or your wife and the way you raise your son but i would be very concerned if i were you about the man he will become without knowing these things....rant over......

Wow I agree well said...
NCC-1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCC-1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 9:39pm   #70
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $595211

No matter what happens just remember that problems developed over years cannot be fixed in 15 minutes or a phone call to a police dept.
lutzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04pm   #71
RED-85-Z51
The Hooptie Whisperer
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1975165

Quote:
Let me tell you from what experience I have...having a wealthy mommy and daddy does no favors to a teenager, when the teen has no responsibility. Makes em soft, unprepared for the world.

If my parents had always been rich and I hadnt have had to work on keeping our mower running.."just one more season" or we had the "it wont start, just go get a new one" mentallity...I wouldnt have the skills i have today.

Whats that saying my dad used to tell me..."Necessity is the Mother of all invention" and "Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity".

Thats whats missing from this generation...they dont have the drive to do something because it needs to be done, they just ignore it and trust that someone else will do it for them..eventually.
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RED-85-Z51 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13pm   #72
MEC5LADY
Barn Stall Owner #32
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,822 Times in 963 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2204779

Quote:

I had to quote this because it's important for your son to learn responsibility. I see it every day at work and I see it in the neighborhood kids. The Dad's spend 12 hour days at work and still come home to mow the grass or do it as well as other chores over the weekend. The kids in the meantime are too busy running around going here and there living it up without learning how to take care of themselves. You never know what might happen in life and the best gift you can ever give your children is to teach them how to be self sufficient. If your son is old enough to want a basketball hoop, he is old enough to earn the money to pay for it. He is also old enough to be taking out the trash, doing his laundry and learning how to cook. The kids I see these days can't do anything for themselves because they have never had to do anything. OP I hope you don't take this as an attack on you or your wife but just pointing out reality. When your son starts out on his own if he doesn't learn how to take care of himself beforehand he is going to have a huge wake up call when he suddenly has to learn life's lessons he should have learned when he was younger.
MEC5LADY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MEC5LADY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51pm   #73
RED-85-Z51
The Hooptie Whisperer
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1975165

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC5LADY View Post
I had to quote this because it's important for your son to learn responsibility. I see it every day at work and I see it in the neighborhood kids. The Dad's spend 12 hour days at work and still come home to mow the grass or do it as well as other chores over the weekend. The kids in the meantime are too busy running around going here and there living it up without learning how to take care of themselves. You never know what might happen in life and the best gift you can ever give your children is to teach them how to be self sufficient. If your son is old enough to want a basketball hoop, he is old enough to earn the money to pay for it. He is also old enough to be taking out the trash, doing his laundry and learning how to cook. The kids I see these days can't do anything for themselves because they have never had to do anything. OP I hope you don't take this as an attack on you or your wife but just pointing out reality. When your son starts out on his own if he doesn't learn how to take care of himself beforehand he is going to have a huge wake up call when he suddenly has to learn life's lessons he should have learned when he was younger.
I wonder how many kids...today, that have iphones, and galaxy 9's, and Ipods, and Ipads, and all that shit..actually know what they cost their parents...and what the monthly bills are on them? I wonder how many even care?
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22pm   #74
Chuck A
A Real Barner

hoping he will follow what he says he will be , either a pediatrician, or a vettenarian, he is a great kid, so i do not get on his case, no drugs, no alcohol, just likes to play b-ball
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23pm   #75
Chuck A
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
Just sent you a PM Chuck.

Jeff
pm answered
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck A For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28am   #76
kylebuck
Barn Stall Owner #47
Barn Raising I,II
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,410 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1098639

do like we used to do... play in the damn street.... 150 dollar goal, make him buy the damn thing ,and im sure the street is paved.
boom just saved you money... now send it to me.
kylebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 2:42am   #77
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:

Wow.

Well said, Cindy. Well said.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43am   #78
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,611 Times in 13,603 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I can sympathize with the "spoon fed kid" syndrome. It is a point of contention in my house as well. There seems to be some sort of excuse from all responsibility because she doesn't use drugs and makes very good grades. I disagree, but as a step-dad, with a very involved bilogical dad and a stubborn mom (my wife), I pretty much have my hands tied. The issues that irritate me, only cause friction between my wife and I because we disagree on child rearing. My step-daughter is not the one that deals with any of it. My wife disregards my opinions because she feels like I have no experience since I have no children. Thing is, I was a child and am very clear on how I was raised. It was not real easy, BUT as a result, I learned very important life lessons and how to survive in a cold ass world that will not coddle you:

If you want something bad enough, you'll earn it.
If you want to keep a job, you'll be on time and respect your boss, and follow instructions and directives.
If you don't want top walk, you'll take care of the car you have because it's the only one you'll get (I bought it, they insured it for 3 years).
If you don't want to help around the house, there are repurcussions.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14pm   #79
Chuck A
A Real Barner

Its all good
Old 06-19-2013, 1:22pm   #80
C5Nate
Barn Stall Owner #0

Thanked 1,878 Times in 918 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1576624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
That's unfortunate, my Dad is more like Red's. That type of upbringing has served me well. I tell all my nephews that have zero mechanical/labor skills, "you better make a ton of money because you will be paying someone to do everything for you your whole life".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
You cut your fingers off and the kid still won't take out the trash?
Quote:

My parents never hurt for money, but not rich by no means. We knew how to squeeze every penny from a dollar. We did all we could ourselves. Not only did it save us money doing it ourselves, I (we) learned a lot by doing it. Even later in life when we may not be able to do it ourselves we know how and what needs to be done and wont get ripped off.

There was NO refusing to do what was asked of me by my parents. The consequences were not pleasant. Learning early in life that there a consequences to my actions, (or lack of).

Life is hard, being soft will lessen chances of survival.
C5Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C5Nate For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic