Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2023, 7:14am   #41
C3_4_Me
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Aren't Southern Baptists famous for their hatefulness? I believe the Westboro Baptists are in that basic category.

Gayfulness or not I have issues with Scouts because of the groupthink that's central to their ethos including belief in "God" - a point Scouting has an unsurprisingly confused history on as far their official policy internationally and in the US. They now accept gays but still don't accept atheists.

I'm guessing they don't advertise photos like these much nowadays - Scouts expressing fealty to their founder Robert Baden-Powell. Presumably later they goose-stepped around the camp.

http://whale.to/c/afp7zuxgaaa.jpg

http://whale.to/b/d7k3fytk.jpg
C3_4_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 7:29am   #42
Vette40th
A Real Barner
Activity: 17.6%

Thanked 1,564 Times in 816 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3694

My granddaughter just joined the Scouts.
Girl scouts were lame, did nothing but cookie sales.
I think, regardless of what their policy is, gay, lgb, is irrelevant to the kids learning skills, team work, socializing etc.
If gayness pops up, my daughter will yank her out. She will not play that pc game.
Vette40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 8:52am   #43
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,979 Times in 11,827 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Hooo-reee thread revival.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 7:07am   #44
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 13,027 Times in 4,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Name:  gAQzRkT.gif
Views: 23
Size:  3.92 MB
Vandelay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:59am   #45
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
You don't need to join a big group you don't like to go camping and learn how to build a fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
I made my promises to God, not some stuffed shirt with a hiking stick and a pocket full of badges.

Never joined the scouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
When I was in Boy Scouts the local area chapter had meetings in the basement of a Catholic school building. I don't know if anyone was Catholic or not but they never bothered me about religion. It was just a safe place for kids to gather after hours (meetings were in the evening).

Yeah, I'd renounce anything to do with them now. There's no doubt they're on their way to becoming a front for nambla. What kind of idiot exposes a kid to that?
Even the article says that about 70% of the troops have some sort of sponsorship from a religious organization, that is most commonly, a place for the troop to meet. That means about 30% do not have such an affiliation. The troop I joined when I was 11 years old was sponsored by "A group of citizens", who bought our Troop's property and paid to build a log cabin where we used to meet. There was NO direct teaching of Christian, or other religious ideals. There were references to "God" in the scout oath and other places, and the troop was supportive of people following their faith while on camping trips and summer camp etc., but no one was pushed to pursue any religious affiliation at all.

This thread is lacking context on the history of the BSA. Any sexual assaults that occurred prior to about 1960 (and I'm sure there were many), were pretty successfully covered up, so it was not a known issue. In the late '60s and early '70s (right when I was joining), the lawsuits for sexual assaults of scouts started becoming common, and VERY public. As a result, the BSA adopted a number of rules, one of which was that "openly gay" men were NOT welcome as scoutmasters or staff overseeing scouts in non-public places. The shit storm from the left was legendary, and has basically ruined the Boy Scouts as it existed when I was young. Now they are REQUIRED to accept gays, trans, and every other freakazoid that walks through the door, or be sued into oblivion.

When you think about it, it's really not surprising at all. The BSA when I was in was all about helping pre-teen boys grow up to be confident, capable, self-reliant young men. This is anathema to the whole "liberal" agenda of making everyone weak, gay, and dependent on the government. So they had to attack it, and do the best they could to destroy it. They have more or less succeeded at this point.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion