Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2021, 2:16pm   #1
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 12,522 Times in 5,846 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134
Default When you have to go it may be your time to go.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/15/drunk-...ycL4HPd9wqvqgM

Quote:
Drunk man killed by shark while wading into sea to relieve himself
By Ben CostJuly 15, 2021 | 9:39am | Updated

One man’s day at the beach turned deadly after he was killed by a shark while wading into the surf to relieve himself.

“There was a lot of blood in the water,” bystander Endriano Gomes told Newsflash of the horrific attack, which occurred Saturday at Piedade Beach in Jaboatao dos Guararapes, northeastern Brazil.

The victim, Marcelo Rocha Santos, 51, had reportedly been drinking with friends when nature called. He and a fellow reveler decided to head into the sea to urinate around 2 p.m., when the surf had turned tumultuous and murky, making it difficult to spot anything in the water.

Despite signs warnings people to stay out of the ocean, the lifeguard on duty refrained from ordering the two men back to the beach as they were only up to their waists, Newsflash reported.

Santos’ stunned pal Ademir Sebastiao da Silva recalled: “As the beach has no bathroom, I went into the sea to pee. I was beside him [in] the water.”

That’s when the shark struck — biting off the unfortunate beach-goer’s hand and taking off a chunk of his leg.

Marcelo Rocha Santos who died after having his arm and leg devoured by a shark in July in Pernambuco in Brazil.
Marcelo Rocha Santos, 51, died after his arm and leg were devoured by a shark at a beach in Brazil.
Newsflash
Eyewitness Gomes described the harrowing scene: “It was a friend of mine who was in the sea with the person who was attacked. Suddenly, he saw the man struggling.”

The lifeguard was unable to stop the attack. However, shortly thereafter, Santo’s buddies managed to drag him back to shore, where he collapsed on the beach unconscious while horrified bystanders looked on. One beach-goer even captured footage of the victim as he lay motionless on the sand.

Marcelo Rocha Santos died after having his arm and leg devoured by a shark in July in Pernambuco in Brazil.
Santos’ friends managed to drag him back to shore, where he collapsed unconscious as horrified bystanders looked on. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Newsflash
Santos was immediately rushed to a hospital in Recife, where he was pronounced dead. Meanwhile, his buddy da Silva, who was the only other person in the water at the time, escaped the incident unscathed.

SEE ALSO

Shark advocates call for rebranding violent attacks as ‘interactions’
“It could be me. It was God’s deliverance,” he said. “If I had been diving or lingered in the water, I could have been attacked.”

It’s unknown what kind of shark bit Santos — it is thought to be either a bull or tiger shark. However, the incident took place near an area where there had been 12 prior attacks, local outlets reported. Shark attacks are reportedly common during this time of year as the heavy rains make the ocean cloudy.

Experts link the region’s surge in shark attacks — of which there have been 62 incidents with 25 fatalities in the last 30 years — to the construction of the Suape Port in 1992, which reportedly disrupted the predators’ breeding and feeding patterns.

“I’ve been working on this beach for 25 years and during this time I have witnessed a number of ferocious attacks,” one local snack seller told Beach Grit of the unfortunate phenomenon. “It was horrible to see. Each time it is very frightening and sad.”
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 7:04pm   #2
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 23.4%

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,376 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

Most of my close calls with sharks were early morning or evening (sunup/sundown). Have seen them in broad daylight a few times but they didn't get close. No experience with cloudy water sharks but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that alters their feeding habits.

Unfortunate but he would have had a better chance of noticing it before being bit if he wasn't drinking. Mixing alcohol and sharks is definitely not something I'd recommend.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torqaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 7:11pm   #3
99 pewtercoupe
Barn Stall Owner #74
Barn Raising II

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 14,812 Times in 6,543 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10393746

Obviously the shark did not care for this guy peeing in his pool.
99 pewtercoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 99 pewtercoupe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 8:06pm   #4
Ol Timer
Barn Stall Owner #45
Barn Stall Owner #1911

Coffeeholic
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,457 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1021454

Must have had quite a lure.
Ol Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ol Timer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 9:55pm   #5
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 92.4%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,143 Times in 4,337 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

I stopped surfing in front of river mouths and other outlets in my thirties. There is a great break at Scott Creek in Santa Cruz, but after seeing fins break the surface a few times I just got too freaked out. Same with San Onofre in SoCal. I have no idea if people are actually depleting shark populations by finning/eating/soup etc., but I saw way more in the water near shore after 2000 than I did prior to 2000.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic