Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2023, 8:32pm   #21
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 23,941 Times in 9,941 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
Our first Swissy, Mochi spent a good deal of time at the vet. With what I paid, I could have easily purchased a full dresser Harley ( not complaining, just for $$$$$ spent)

Our last two dogs we had VPI which is now Nationwide. We have the basic plan and major medical which is currently about $60 a month. Money well spent.
I've been wanting to get insurance on him...
Vet rates have gone up alot. Debating between Nationwide and Healthy Paws. That or a Bear savings account and build it up.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 9:48pm   #22
ricks327
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 10.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Good to hear that Bear is on the mend. 30+years ago, we fostered a Leader Dog Golden Retriever puppy and his name was Bear also. He turned into a big boy at the end of the year, so Leader Dog gave him a good name as a puppy.
ricks327 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricks327 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 10:00pm   #23
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 12.6%

Thanked 4,830 Times in 2,647 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2425793

Glad Bear is on the mend. I wish we had gotten insurance on our little buddy. Dang I still miss him so bad.
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LisaJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 11:17pm   #24
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Coming up on a month of recovery now...
The external abscess healed with 10 days nicely... However the nail itself was still infected I believe. A few days off wrapping and it flared up and he was limping. Not sure if he injured the toenail playing too hard or it was just not healed. Toe was still swollen also, it had gone down some.

When it started acting up I removed a bunch of dead quick from inside the nail, believe it was keeping it from draining and healing.
The inside of the nail was draining puss/infection whatever and occasionally a smidge of blood. So he's been inside in kennel still almost 24/7 and under constant watch as he takes bandages off.
Got some bacterial cleaner and some silver wound ointment to jamb down inside.

A few days ago it seemed like it was growing out nicely and quicker.
It's still bugging him as he's favoring that paw still.
Just tonight when cleaning and wrapping(3 to 6 times a day now) I pulled the last of the dead quick out and it started bleeding. The toe has reduced in size about 25 percent. The nail also I believe is split too far in as new hasn't pushed out far enough yet. I need to trim it but it's a tad sensitive he said.
It'll be another month I bet before heals up decent and he can run again.
What a total PITA this has been, he's uncooperative about it to the point we have to pin him down to tend to it and wears a leather muzzle.
He's ate the gauze and parts of stretchy bandage 6 or 8 times at least. I cut down some old socks of the wife's to cover the gauze and keep him from licking ot constantly. He's OCD level 10 and this is killing him not to lick.
Anywho... Hopefully he goes a night without ripping everything off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 11:23pm   #25
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 5,738 Times in 2,717 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

You are a a great dog owner, lucky to have you as his hoomin. Sounds like you’ve both been through a lot. Best wishes to both of you.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:42pm   #26
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
You are a a great dog owner, lucky to have you as his hoomin. Sounds like you’ve both been through a lot. Best wishes to both of you.
Guess 50 years of tending to animals and wounds has helped out. I keep extensive medical supplies around so was more or less prepared.
Not sure an inexperienced person could handle the constant tending it needs and would be broke from vet visits.
The better it's feeling the worse he's being about it staying wrapped up. A one year old high energy GSD not being able to vent his spazergy has not been fun at all. Play is limited to bed with toys wrestling and sitting outside doing the same. This happens every 2 hrs or so. As little running as possible with no jumping.
I keep a 4 inch pad on floor from when he jumps off the bed also.
Sometimes he spazes out and you just can't stop him. Dog gotta run some times bad toe or not which I'm 100% sure is dragging this out also.
Still have zero idea how this all happened.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to the question how long would the entire nail/quick take to grow out beyonds weeks for a broken nail. I bet it'll be 3 months or more total.

Hard part is keeping the bacteria out of it, between licking it and just being a dog running in the yard it's virtually impossible without keeping it covered and cleaning alot.

No we don't have a cone of shame for him. He already shit wreaks the house and me regularly. A cone would be like giving him a bat to swing around.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic