Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C1 & C2 Corvette > C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion

C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion General and technical C1 & C2 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, restoration

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2022, 3:35pm   #21
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 52.5%

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,519 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW View Post
Damn, Frank. Those photos are painful to look at, but it's good to know that the car got put back together as good as new. Are you fully recovered from the injuries now? I'm sure you miss that car in no small amount now that it's being enjoyed by somebody else.

I'm sure you're right that if that crash had occurred back in the day, when the car was four or more years old, but nowhere near its collector status of today, it would have been totaled. Another argument for carrying a good Agreed Value policy on these vehicles. With an agreed value that's set high enough, it pretty well ensures that these cars will be repaired and will live to see more miles, instead of becoming parts donors.

Guessing you saw what PaulyWannafly has done to rebuild JoeC's Tripleblack '65 after its horrific crash?

Live well,

SJW
It was a $65,000 + insurance claim and National Corvette Museum stood tall and took pains to make sure the car was exquisitely restored - in many ways it was a better car after the repairs - gentle massaging of body panels and door gaps for a better fit and look, etc. I was knocked out with lots of bruising and I hit the steering wheel hard enough to put a slight bend in it, I tensed up enough before the "hit" I apparently jammed the Muncie hard into first trying to gear down and it had to be removed and worked on and don't let anybody EVER tell you factory drum brakes in proper condition can't save your life !

When I came to the Burger King manager was directing traffic around the mess. Yes PaulWannafly is nothing short of an artist - I am so glad to see some of the legendary forum cars get a new lease on life like TripleBlack's car and Jackfit's car.... And yes, even my lowly base motor split window.
Frankie the Fink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 4:21pm   #22
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 98.2%

Thanked 7,243 Times in 3,526 Posts

Frank, that saddle/saddle 63 SWC I looked at 2 years ago....the one with the crate base engine repainted blue with black interior that the guy bought out of 40 years of storage and got running/driving again....he sold it a few months ago for 92k. It was a good driving and running car, but had been hit on all 4 corners and repaired and repainted in the 60's or early 70's to 'industry standards'. If you recall, I tried to buy it at about 55k at the time and he was on the fence, as was I due to the previous damage, but he was wise to wait a couple of years!
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:40am   #23
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner

I do remember that car Jeff - and he did well because straightenng out the "industry standard" repairs of bygone decades would be some bucks... There is a video somewhere of GM back in the day showing how easy fiberglass repairs are on Corvettes and the results from those techniques would not be acceptable by today's standards.

BTW - some poor guy on the CF had his '67 hit in the rear end by a kid running a stop sign and he is getting some really bad advice and making comments that will hurt his case if they come to light in litigation. I could straighten him out but its just too bad I guess. Those moderators could care less if members get steered in the wrong directon rather than let somebody that hurt their egos remain active.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:23am   #24
RatDog
Barn Stall Owner #114
Activity: 0%

I've been following that thread, Frank, and was thinking about your accident. If you had taken the advice some are offering and knocked the kid's teeth out, your situation would have escalated into a much worse situation for you.

Kind of like the machos over there who brandish their firearms online saying they would shoot someone if they messed with their car.

Intelligent thinking isn't always on display over on that forum.

Take care,
Steve
RatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 4:28pm   #25
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
I've been following that thread, Frank, and was thinking about your accident. If you had taken the advice some are offering and knocked the kid's teeth out, your situation would have escalated into a much worse situation for you.

Kind of like the machos over there who brandish their firearms online saying they would shoot someone if they messed with their car.

Intelligent thinking isn't always on
display over on that forum.

Take care,
Steve
I followed that thread a bit and nowhere did I see anybody recommending getting a Diminished Value appraisal on that car. Depending on the state where the accident occured it could be very useful; I still have mine and the DV was professionally estimated at $23,000 after my wreck - and in some states they other guy can get sued for that. Also, he should not discuss his injuries or lack of them ANYwhere and finally the derogatory remarks about the other guy won't help his case either.
Old 07-26-2022, 5:37pm   #26
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

I read the thread and the car was back-halved, IIRC, during a 2006 frame off restoration. It had been hit hard in the rear previously. So no real 'diminished value' on a no-hit car. It'll get fixed. With the banning of key players over there and the resulting disgust of those who no longer participate, they're on their own. I ALMOST caved in and posted on there today on Plotkin thread (I like Dan a lot) but I resisted. He knows what time it is, but some other folks not so much. They'll figure it out or they won't.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:26pm   #27
SJW
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

There have been a few posts, fairly late in the thread, suggesting the OP pursue a DV claim. A number of posts in that thread veered off into the weeds, and the thread has since been locked by admin.

Frank's experience with the crash of his SWC illuminates the importance of Agreed Value insurance, and DV claims.

Live well,

SJW
SJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 7:08am   #28
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner

I'm surprised that thread got closed, since most of the trouble makers have been executed without a blind fold... The Gestapo tactics started when the PR&C (Politics, Religion & Controversy) forum changed to just P&R. Can't say what the impetus was, legal, CF adminstration change or whatever. That's when the hammer came down and you had moderators like that ChemDawg suddenly show up and if anything a bit conservative made it into a thread the warnings and closures began. I think my death knell was when I said something in an Off Topic thread moderated by ChemDawg like, "...sometimes the moderators here are immoderate" He complained to SAVEWAVE (head honcho) and that was it.

The next morning a lifetime ban. I was offered a chance to get reinstated but the amount ass kissing that I was told was a requirement was more than I could stomach.
Old 07-28-2022, 1:08pm   #29
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

I think the 'C' from PR&C was removed about the same time white people were removed from commercials. It's part of the Big Re-Set Agenda.

Screw anything or anybody who is 'woke'. Useless parasites, the lot of them.

The Vette Barn > C1 & C2 Corvette > C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion