Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17am   #61
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I can also say that cooking king crab legs on a cedar plank is excellent too. OK, now I'm hungry for spot shrimp and king crab.
Talking about Alaskan seafood is what promped my order last night--it made me hungry! I'll have to try king crab legs on a cedar plank. I have also grilled lobster, but it's a tedious process.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21am   #62
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
Talking about Alaskan seafood is what promped my order last night--it made me hungry! I'll have to try king crab legs on a cedar plank. I have also grilled lobster, but it's a tedious process.
Crab legs are dead nuts easy. I soak the plank for a few hours in water or beer, and then slice up a couple of lemons and arrange them so they cover all the edges of the plank (keeps the plank from burning up.) Toss on the crab legs and place over hot coals or a gas grill on medium high and close the lid. Give it about 10 minutes and check. The crab legs are done when they have changed color and are now reddish-brown (it's easy to see the color difference.) That's it, serve with drawn butter.

Back when I had a reliable source of fresh sea bass, I cooked it on cedar planks all the time. Olive oil, salt, pepper, and the lemon trick. The sea bass would be crispy on the outside, a bit of smoke flavor from the plank, and just delicious.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:42am   #63
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Crab legs are dead nuts easy. I soak the plank for a few hours in water or beer, and then slice up a couple of lemons and arrange them so they cover all the edges of the plank (keeps the plank from burning up.) Toss on the crab legs and place over hot coals or a gas grill on medium high and close the lid. Give it about 10 minutes and check. The crab legs are done when they have changed color and are now reddish-brown (it's easy to see the color difference.) That's it, serve with drawn butter.

Back when I had a reliable source of fresh sea bass, I cooked it on cedar planks all the time. Olive oil, salt, pepper, and the lemon trick. The sea bass would be crispy on the outside, a bit of smoke flavor from the plank, and just delicious.
I think you know what you're doing! I'll try it. My method for grilling lobster involves splitting the shell, then several minutes on the grill (turning once) followed by transferring the lobster to a skillet and constantly drizzling hot butter over the meat with a spoon to finish cooking the lobster. Like I said, that's kinda tedious.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27am   #64
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
I think you know what you're doing! I'll try it. My method for grilling lobster involves splitting the shell, then several minutes on the grill (turning once) followed by transferring the lobster to a skillet and constantly drizzling hot butter over the meat with a spoon to finish cooking the lobster. Like I said, that's kinda tedious.
I bet the cedar plank method would work great start to finish, then serve with drawn butter. You'd definitely want to split the shell open so the smokey goodness could penetrate. Perhaps drizzle some olive oil on it prior to placing on the grill.
Old 07-30-2014, 1:22pm   #65
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
It looks like you and I are the only ones who have eaten Spot Shrimp. You phrased it correctly about Spot Shrimp and Gulf shrimp being two entirely different experiences. And about the cost of Alaskan seafood: Yes, it is expensive because it's better. I don't eat it every night or even every month, but it is a wonderful treat when I do. Last night I ordered about $200 of Alaskan scallops (4 packs), halibut (6 filets), and Spot Shrimp (4 packs). That will make 22 meals, so it will last me 6 months, so I don't consider it that expensive (under $10/meal).
I never heard them called Spot Shrimp, always Spot Prawns, or Amaebi at the sushi places. You get the tail raw, and then they flash fry the head. Eat the head shell and all.

Here's where I go to for high quality fish.

Buy Sushi Grade Fish Online | Sashimi | CatalinaOP
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 1:46pm   #66
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
I never heard them called Spot Shrimp, always Spot Prawns, or Amaebi at the sushi places. You get the tail raw, and then they flash fry the head. Eat the head shell and all.

Here's where I go to for high quality fish.

Buy Sushi Grade Fish Online | Sashimi | CatalinaOP
Alaskan Spot Shrimp.

The one the guy is holding is tiny compared to the ones I've bought.

The Asian species are called prawns I think, the cold water Alaskan species are different.
Old 07-30-2014, 5:19pm   #67
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Alaskan Spot Shrimp.

The one the guy is holding is tiny compared to the ones I've bought.

The Asian species are called prawns I think, the cold water Alaskan species are different.
They all come from the west coast, from Baja to Alaska.

Catalina gets them to your door live.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic