Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2023, 9:21pm   #21
Taurus
A Real Barner
Points: 27,673, Level: 100
Activity: 44.8%
 
Taurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,919
Thanks: 2,134
Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,076 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593
Default

Nice, you'll see the same on mine as I pulled the smog stuff off it as well. I still have the OEM smog parts and carb if I ever decided to go back to all stock. Even if I ever sold it I would do it as is and give them he stock parts to do as they want.

Can't imagine ever selling it though, it was a bucket list car for me from my younger days. A red on black 78 or 79 L82, just always what I lusted for in my earlier days when these things were sitting new on car lots.
Taurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:23pm   #22
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Points: 31,310, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 10,984
Thanks: 4,181
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

This was one of my most practical mods. After getting stuck (with my wife in the car) due to a burned fusible link, I built a main fuse panel that could be serviced on the road with just two tools and extra fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Main fuse panel, eliminates troublesome fusible links.jpg  

Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:26pm   #23
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Points: 31,310, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 10,984
Thanks: 4,181
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Nice, you'll see the same on mine as I pulled the smog stuff off it as well. I still have the OEM smog parts and carb if I ever decided to go back to all stock. Even if I ever sold it I would do it as is and give them he stock parts to do as they want.

Can't imagine ever selling it though, it was a bucket list car for me from my younger days. A red on black 78 or 79 L82, just always what I lusted for in my earlier days when these things were sitting new on car lots.
Mine was a barn find in a house that I was fixing. I kept it for three years, fixed everything on it that was broken, made some practical, tasteful mods, detailed the hell out of it and sold it. I actually made a little bit on the project.
Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:26pm   #24
Taurus
A Real Barner
Points: 27,673, Level: 100
Activity: 44.8%
 
Taurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,919
Thanks: 2,134
Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,076 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
This was one of my most practical mods. After getting stuck (with my wife in the car) due to a burned fusible link, I built a main fuse panel that could be serviced on the road with just two tools and extra fuses.
I've thought about that as well, seems like a good idea. Along those lines, the other thing I did was install a back up hood release for the same reason, they are a bear to open when it breaks and with my luck it would would happen trying to leave a car show.
Taurus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 9:30pm   #25
Taurus
A Real Barner
Points: 27,673, Level: 100
Activity: 44.8%
 
Taurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,919
Thanks: 2,134
Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,076 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Mine was a barn find in a house that I was fixing. I kept it for three years, fixed everything on it that was broken, made some practical, tasteful mods, detailed the hell out of it and sold it. I actually made a little bit on the project.
Mine sat in a storage unit in Orlando for between 24 and 26 years depending on who you listen to. I spent many hours and dollars getting it back on the road while trying to keep it original as much as possible. Had to replace all the brakes, all rubber parts including hoses, belts and bushings, convert it to R134A Freon and of course do tires and a fuel and cooling system flush and rebuild.

Low mileage does not equal low maintenance.
Taurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:33pm   #26
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Points: 31,310, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 10,984
Thanks: 4,181
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
I've thought about that as well, seems like a good idea. Along those lines, the other thing I did was install a back up hood release for the same reason, they are a bear to open when it breaks and with my luck it would would happen trying to leave a car show.
Here's the wiring diagram for that mod. This also includes a relay harness for the headlights. That eliminates a huge resistance loss in the headlamp switch, making OE headlamps brighter. I converted the low beams (actually lo-hi beams) to Hella Euro-spec lamps. They fit right in but are higher wattage. The relay harness is designed to handle the additional wattage.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring mods.jpg  

Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:34pm   #27
Taurus
A Real Barner
Points: 27,673, Level: 100
Activity: 44.8%
 
Taurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,919
Thanks: 2,134
Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,076 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Here's the wiring diagram for that mod. This also includes a relay harness for the headlights. That eliminates a huge resistance loss in the headlamp switch, making OE headlamps brighter. I converted the low beams (actually lo-hi beams) to Hella Euro-spec lamps. They fit right in but are higher wattage. The relay harness is designed to handle the additional wattage.
Looks doable, thanks.
Taurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:36pm   #28
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Points: 31,310, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 10,984
Thanks: 4,181
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Mine sat in a storage unit in Orlando for between 24 and 26 years depending on who you listen to. I spent many hours and dollars getting it back on the road while trying to keep it original as much as possible. Had to replace all the brakes, all rubber parts including hoses, belts and bushings, convert it to R134A Freon and of course do tires and a fuel and cooling system flush and rebuild.

Low mileage does not equal low maintenance.
Yours looks like an engine out detail. Much nicer than mine, which was on a budget. I had to do all that stuff as well, including a new radiator and AC compressor, orifice and condenser.
Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 9:40pm   #29
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Points: 31,310, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 10,984
Thanks: 4,181
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Looks doable, thanks.
Here's a view showing the circuit breakers for the headlamps. I can't find a picture of the relays, but I mounted them on the driver's side close to the hood hinge. You really had to look had to notice them.
Attached Thumbnails
resettable circuit breakers for high amp headlamps.jpg  

Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 10:06am   #30
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Points: 25,509, Level: 100
Activity: 95.8%
 
GTOguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Those satisfactions are permanent
Posts: 10,076
Thanks: 4,205
Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,508 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default

Some very clean and slow C3's. Used to hate them, now they are classics. Nice engine bays and detail work on both cars.
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:19am   #31
LATB
A Real Barner
Points: 128,417, Level: 100
Activity: 99.1%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 35,506
Thanks: 4,946
Thanked 17,984 Times in 8,240 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Some very clean and slow C3's. Used to hate them, now they are classics. Nice engine bays and detail work on both cars.
I love the C3's. All of them up to '77. I didn't like when they got rid of the flat vertical back window in favor of the bubble.

My 1st car was almost a '74 silver coupe. I could afford the car but not the insurance.

I did eventually get a '71 ragtop. One day maybe I'll have another C3. It is the only corvette generation I would be interested in at his point.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:15pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2023 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page