Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2021, 5:57pm   #21
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 92.4%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,142 Times in 4,337 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
we did once; served two terms.

**** yeah!
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 5:59pm   #22
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 33,376 Times in 13,464 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
we did once; served two terms.

Trump was just as good at the job. Not as good as an actor. I imagine Ron had some interesting comments about the state of affairs that we were not privy to.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 6:14pm   #23
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
I have to cut Trump some slack. I cannot imagine his mindset with what he was put through. I can see how easy it would be to go into attack mode. The left bears more than their share of blame for Trumps attitude. I actually thought he was funny as hell. Sometimes (almost all the time) it’s better to just be yourself. Authenticity is important.

Keep in mind, over 72 million voted for him. Probably closer to 78m. I have ZERO doubt the election was stolen.
With you, sort of. I still can't equate his facing the house/media/etc. with the folks I know that have faced an armed enemy and still kept their composure. Grab your nuts and STFU sometimes is the right answer, even though it pains you to do so.

He needed to look at the long play and not be so predictively reactive that it undermined the cause.

So, again, how do we improve? I could easily poop on everything that the new administration and legislature does, but that's what the media expects and thrives on. I can also just bunker down and hope for different results in 2022. I do not want to do either, but can easily do so. A system that depends on discord to keep people employed is broke.

OK, done with today's rant. Promise.

Happy 2021...
Old 01-18-2021, 7:55pm   #24
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 34.9%

Thanked 6,939 Times in 3,056 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
Join the club,you are not the only one that has paid millions
Dude, you don't get it. The fact that folks like us exist, who have paid for other people and their kids for DECADES, literally totaling MILLIONS of dollars of tax, is IMMORAL, and our very existence is a crime against humanity. We are to be shamed and silenced. We should NIVER have been allowed to make the money necessary to rack up that kind of tax liability in the first place, and the fact that we went ahead and did it shows that we are ASSHOLES who don't give a shit about the "greater good".

You despicable, reprehensible, immoral, deplorable, vacuous, disingenuous, horrible, morally-corrupt, criminal, you should be ashamed of yourself. As should I. I'll buy you a beer if we cross paths though.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 8:12pm   #25
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,061 Times in 17,072 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
With you, sort of. I still can't equate his facing the house/media/etc. with the folks I know that have faced an armed enemy and still kept their composure. Grab your nuts and STFU sometimes is the right answer, even though it pains you to do so.

He needed to look at the long play and not be so predictively reactive that it undermined the cause.

So, again, how do we improve? I could easily poop on everything that the new administration and legislature does, but that's what the media expects and thrives on. I can also just bunker down and hope for different results in 2022. I do not want to do either, but can easily do so. A system that depends on discord to keep people employed is broke.

OK, done with today's rant. Promise.

Happy 2021...

When you faced an armed enemy, and you were fired upon, I'm guessing even under the Clinton or Obama ROE's, you were allowed to shoot back?

I'll agree that Trump punched down, and sometimes got a little too caught up in giving his opinion on TV talking heads, but I found his general willingness to tell people who were full of shit that they were, in actuality, full of shit, refreshing. Yes, Trump wasn't polished, he was a typical NYC, in your face loudmouth, but at least we knew where he stood on any given issue, he didn't talk out of both sides of his mouth, like, well, like most other politicians.

In terms of actual accomplishment, Trump has been the best president in my lifetime. His biggest Achilles heel was his hiring. He hired a BUNCH of shitty people, and he also hired some great people, like Rex Tillerson and Mattis, who just did not share Trump's policy visions. Part of the blame for the shitty hiring goes to Cocaine Mitch, who ran the Senate much like an opposition party. Trump was never really allowed to pick his own people, which is how we ended up with losers like Chris Wray and Gina Haspel.
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 8:40pm   #26
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
When you faced an armed enemy, and you were fired upon, I'm guessing even under the Clinton or Obama ROE's, you were allowed to shoot back?

I'll agree that Trump punched down, and sometimes got a little too caught up in giving his opinion on TV talking heads, but I found his general willingness to tell people who were full of shit that they were, in actuality, full of shit, refreshing. Yes, Trump wasn't polished, he was a typical NYC, in your face loudmouth, but at least we knew where he stood on any given issue, he didn't talk out of both sides of his mouth, like, well, like most other politicians.

In terms of actual accomplishment, Trump has been the best president in my lifetime. His biggest Achilles heel was his hiring. He hired a BUNCH of shitty people, and he also hired some great people, like Rex Tillerson and Mattis, who just did not share Trump's policy visions. Part of the blame for the shitty hiring goes to Cocaine Mitch, who ran the Senate much like an opposition party. Trump was never really allowed to pick his own people, which is how we ended up with losers like Chris Wray and Gina Haspel.
Thanks Bill. Well thought out. I have worked in military stuff most of my life, and there were times that I really would have liked to tell someone to F-off, but I knew that the way that I would still be in the game was to work it a bit differently. I always respected those who chose to handle it face on, but then sadly saw most of them be labeled as troublemakers and sent packing.

There's an Ayn Rand book, The Fountainhead, of which I'm sure you're familiar. While the Roark character is a strong protagonist for perfection, I am pretty confident perfection, as defined by one human or another, is a fantasy. We will always need to move off of our personal "perfection" and find acceptable solutions. Yes, this is compromise.

Many of the folks in his administration did try to find solutions. I know many of them. There just was never room for anything other than the CiC's view.

Thanks again for the comments. I always appreciate someone who puts more than an inkling of brain cells in their posts, and you continue to deliver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 8:43pm   #27
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 11.2%

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,242 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post

Never allowed. Such trash. I will never forgive Trump for not following his rule. ‘Drain the swamp” by hiring FROM the swamp. He dug his own grave because he didn’t even follow his own shill.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 9:24pm   #28
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Never allowed. Such trash. I will never forgive Trump for not following his rule. ‘Drain the swamp” by hiring FROM the swamp. He dug his own grave because he didn’t even follow his own shill.
Trump had no idea just how deep the swamp really is. No one knows.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 9:41pm   #29
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Trump had no idea just how deep the swamp really is. No one knows.
Scary thought...

Really questioning if there are enough good people to run the gubmint these days.
Old 01-18-2021, 9:43pm   #30
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Scary thought...

Really questioning if there are enough good people to run the gubmint these days.
A few days ago, I heard that something like 70% of the government is corrupt. Which makes me curious. When AOC was elected, she didn't have two nickels to rub together. Let's see her tax returns for the past 4 years.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:35pm   #31
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 79.5%

Thanked 10,866 Times in 5,068 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
True, Trump didn't have the support, as the swamp is much deeper than anyone thought.
Wayyyyy ****ing deeper
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37pm   #32
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 79.5%

Thanked 10,866 Times in 5,068 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Dude, you don't get it. The fact that folks like us exist, who have paid for other people and their kids for DECADES, literally totaling MILLIONS of dollars of tax, is IMMORAL, and our very existence is a crime against humanity. We are to be shamed and silenced. We should NIVER have been allowed to make the money necessary to rack up that kind of tax liability in the first place, and the fact that we went ahead and did it shows that we are ASSHOLES who don't give a shit about the "greater good".

You despicable, reprehensible, immoral, deplorable, vacuous, disingenuous, horrible, morally-corrupt, criminal, you should be ashamed of yourself. As should I. I'll buy you a beer if we cross paths though.
No thank you
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:20am   #33
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

Please don't misunderstand, and I think you don't, but just for the straphangers... I feel so, so blessed to have been given the opportunity to be where I am at now in my life. However, I do not, in any sense, feel comfortable about being vilified about it. Yes, I'm successful by pretty much any terms and have led a comfortable life. I could have never done so outside of the USA in my opinion and I owe a great debt to the country. Why do others think the country owes them anything? You got squeezed out of a vagina in the most opportune geographical location in the world. This ain't a Frank Sinatra song because if you have dreams and a work ethic, you actually can make it anywhere.
Old 01-19-2021, 1:03am   #34
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

I don’t vote for a President for his personality or lack Thereof. I vote for the person who most closely allies with my agenda. I voted for Trump because his agenda aligned with mine at certain key junctures. I don’t care if he has an unfortunate personality. Most who make it that far in politics usually do.

The only other thing I have to say that it is rather shameful that people on both sides of the political spectrum think it’s ok to denigrate and belittle the President of the United States. For the record, I don’t really care if it’s Trump, Biden, Obama or whoever. They are still President of the United States of America. It’s no wonder a lot of countries have no respect for America when it’s own citizens call a sitting President names. A whole LOT of American Patriots fought and DIED for your right to call the President of the United States a jackass. I doubt things would have been the same under Hitler’s America or Stalin’s America. Just remember that....
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 3:23am   #35
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
I have to cut Trump some slack. I cannot imagine his mindset with what he was put through..
Nah. Trump has been a very public figure and in the limelight his entire adult life. I don't buy this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

The only other thing I have to say that it is rather shameful that people on both sides of the political spectrum think it’s ok to denigrate and belittle the President of the United States.
While I agree, calling people 'Dumb" and 'Lazy' (Rex Tillerson) '"should be forced to take an IQ test" (Rick Perry) "Is our president insane?" (Obama) "graduated last in his class” (John McCain) "always seems to be crying (worse than Boehner) … a real nut job!" (Glenn Beck) Isn't exactly presidential either.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 4:29am   #36
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
While I agree, calling people 'Dumb" and 'Lazy' (Rex Tillerson) '"should be forced to take an IQ test" (Rick Perry) "Is our president insane?" (Obama) "graduated last in his class” (John McCain) "always seems to be crying (worse than Boehner) … a real nut job!" (Glenn Beck) Isn't exactly presidential either.
Correct, it’s not very presidential, but if you fall into that trap, you commit the classic fallacy of “two wrongs don’t make a right.” Taking the high road always makes the other person look like an idiot, and probably serves one’s purpose to greater effect. I will agree he was a challenge though, and like I said, I didn’t vote for him for his charm.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 7:38am   #37
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 34.9%

Thanked 6,939 Times in 3,056 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
No thank you
Wow. I guess I'll forget about this year's polar plunge donation.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 8:30am   #38
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,008 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

Quote:
IB4S

If you don't vote,you lose the right to bitch about anyone elected
Not really.

Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 8:49am   #39
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 9,866 Times in 3,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744

Quote:
I've never been a particular fanboi of anyone here, or at that other place.

UD, FPD, whatever... You did right in shoving that P1 finger right back up where he keeps it!

I try to maintain a "central" viewpoint (yep, some of y'all are on my last nerve), because in the end it actually does require some compromise. Only presenting the gaussian outcasts has made the media money, but not actually solved any of the problems.

For the record, I did not vote for a presidential candidate. While I definitely appreciated the policies of Trump, he is a buffoon. Why can't we find someone that actually has some amount of self-awareness and wants to protect the values that are held dear by many citizens?

Biden? Kidding? Puppet that has now become president along with the CA Willie princess.

Bill D., I know, but just save it. That's not a current option. While I really tend to lean Libertarian, I also believe there should be some sort of safety net for those in need.

I wish TVB had a PRC, because I just retired and y'all need to get the **** off my lawn.
Fluorine, Uranium, Carbon, Potassium, Yittrium Oxygen. Begrijpen?
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JetMechZ16 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 10:06am   #40
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,646 Times in 11,652 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
A few days ago, I heard that something like 70% of the government is corrupt. Which makes me curious. When AOC was elected, she didn't have two nickels to rub together. Let's see her tax returns for the past 4 years.
70%? I'd question that stat. It seems very very low.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic