Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 4:19pm   #1
mikeg826
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $139239
Default Scammers

I posted this article in the Ice Dam story, but after reading the comments that went along with it, other might find it interesting.

In Salisbury, Ma an elderly man was charged $4800 to have snow removed from his roof, the police were notified by the 89-year old man's daughter and he was given his money back.

Here is a the article from the son of the "company" defending his actions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Globe
Salisbury man defends $4,800 roof shoveling charge

By Katherine Landergan, Globe Correspondent

One of the three men who police said charged an elderly Amesbury man $4,800 to shovel his roof is defending the cost of the job.

"I want people to know, I'm not scamming, I'm making a living," Kevin Snow Jr., 23, said this morning

Snow, his father, Kevin Snow Sr., 47, and his brother, George Snow, 21, all of Salisbury, cleared the resident's roof, but later gave the money back after being contacted by Amesbury police, police said Tuesday. No charges were filed.

Kevin Snow Jr. said he was helping out his father that day.

The elderly customer agreed on the price prior to the job and also requested that his garage roof be shoveled, which added to the cost, Snow said.

“It’s called aggressive sale,” he said. “There’s no law against it.”

“We didn’t break any laws and that is what offends me -- I will be looked at in town like a bum," he said.

Snow said that he, his brother, and five other workers spent six hours shoveling the roof, garage, bulkhead, three walkways, and two porches, and de-icing the gutters.

Snow said he is currently unemployed and that a bit of snow shoveling really helps his family out. He has three daughters: a 7-month-old, a 2-year-old, and a 4-year-old. For a roof clearing, Snow, who said he has a separate company, said he typically charges $2,500.

“People should know I’m fair with them,” he said. “They know I have a heart and always give them a price up front.”

Kevin Snow Sr. also defended the shoveling charge in an interview with NECN-TV last night.

"I'm making an honest living," he said.

Snow told the station he had returned the money as soon as he realized the man had overpaid.

"I mean who are (police) to tell me how much to charge a roof?" Snow said. "Worry about the drug addicts, don't worry people trying to make a dollar."
The dude is an idiot, he's on unemployment and I'm sure he's not reporting the Cash he's making form snow removal to the IRS/Unemployment agency.

Reading some of the comments on the Boston.com story and someone posted this one: http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?p=67256

Quote:
Originally Posted by link above
Paving Scam in Monterey County

Posted: July 3, 2009 05:32 AM

Updated: July 3, 2009 06:30 AM

SACRAMENTO - The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) has issued a Consumer Alert for California's Central Coast regions about a notorious band of transient, unlicensed paving contractors.
CSLB's Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) investigators are searching for individuals who may have done business with or were scammed by 45-year-old Kevin Snow, Sr. or his sons, 21-year-old Kevin Snow and 19-year-old George Snow.

The family, from Salisbury, Massachusetts, is known to have been operating in Monterey County and the surrounding areas during April and May, using white dump trucks and other paving equipment bearing Massachusetts license plates and red logos with the business name of "Ready Rock."

Allegedly,the Snows and their associates approach consumers, claim to have extra asphalt from a prior job, and offer them a "good deal" to fill potholes and overlay or seal parking lots or drive ways "right now."

The Snows and their associates then claim they need more money to finish the job. They quickly cash checks, sometimes for several or even tens of thousands of dollars, and leave the area before customers realize the paving work is substandard and they have been scammed.

The Snows are using the license number for Porrero McLaughlin (CSLB #894592) in Temecula, California, but ask for checks to be made out directly to them, which should tip off consumers that they may not be dealing with a legitimate operation. Another red flag for consumers is that the Snows and their associates provide customers with telephone numbers for out-of-state area codes or toll-free numbers, and do not have a physical business address.

Last week, the Snow brothers and their cousin, George Stanley, 29, of Moosup, Connecticut, were arrested in Butte County on suspicion of elder abuse, conspiracy to commit a felony, theft by false pretenses, felony use of someone else's contractors license, contracting without a license, and illegal advertising, all related to paving work.

CSLB investigators seized and impounded more than $500,000.00 worth of paving equipment and personal vehicles, and thousands of dollars in cash from the three suspects following their June 24, 2009 arrests in Chico. They falsely claimed to be licensed by Porrero McLaughlin on those jobs.

George Stanley is well known to CSLB investigators. There are pending criminal and civil charges against Stanley in Tulare and Yuba Counties from similar arrests in 2008. Stanley is also suspected of similar scams in Washington and Idaho.

Anyone who has come in contact with the Snows or Stanley should contact the CSLB SWIFT unit at (916) 255-2924.

Scum like this give honest contractors a bad name, and should be jailed IMO
mikeg826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 4:23pm   #2
Yerf Dog
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,145 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $503566

<groan>Now that's a snow job.</groan>
Yerf Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 4:25pm   #3
F40