Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2014, 3:23pm   #81
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangkiller View Post
Often times especially with the older males they are not breeding, but killing other animals thus preventing the younger males from actually breeding.

Yes, thinning of an older more disgruntled rino can be good for the herd and the population.
Source? (I didn't know you were an authority on conservationism. Rhinoceros PHD? (Kidding. Remain calm)

Lets assume for the sake of argument you're right. Posing with an endangered species you killed, might be a bit of a stupid move. No?
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 3:30pm   #82
ptindall
A Real Barner
Activity: 14.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Endangered? Doing her part in conservation to make a difference? Huh? Fuck her.
The way I read it, the endangered rhino wasn't dead. It was tranquilized for scientists to do thier thing.

Quote:
One particular image of Jones, posing with an endangered rhinoceros, incensed animal rights activists.

Jones defended the image saying that it showed a live animal: "The vet drew blood, took DNA samples, took body and head measurements, treated a leg injury and administered antibiotics."
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 3:30pm   #83
Fastguy
Barn Stall Owner #92
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,401 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7534993

I sportfish, I catch and release most of what I take in. I keep one or two striped bass a season and one or two blackfish. When I freshwater fish, it is pure sport. I had anti-fishing friend accuse of me of taking pleasure in torturing fish which made me take a second look at sport hunters. I could never shoot an animal for sport. I could hunt to eat or control pests, but not for the sport. If I ever killed a large animal, I think my feeling would lean more to the Native American side of respecting its spirit and being thankful for its meat. Don't think I could be all Kenny Powers "I killed you".
Fastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 3:31pm   #84
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:
Source? (I didn't know you were an authority on conservationism. Rhinoceros PHD? (Kidding. Remain calm)

Lets assume for the sake of argument you're right. Posing with an endangered species you killed, might be a bit of a stupid move. No?
Why stupid? I'd be pretty proud of that too, not too many people will get the opportunity to hunt a Rhino legally.

Just a quick google:The debate about rhino hunting
Quote:
The surplus male problem
The problem of surplus black rhino males is not new and has been discussed as far back as 1992. It is primarily the result of some black rhino populations ending up with markedly skewed sex ratios in favour of males. These skewed sex ratios can occur either by chance in some populations (with many more males than females being born in a population), or if removals from donor populations are biased in favour of females (as was the case in setting up the highly productive Namibian custodianship populations). The problem is compounded by an apparent slightly skewed sex ratio at birth in favour of males, although this is often later reversed because of the higher adult male mortality rates due to fighting.

The social carrying capacity of adult male black rhinos is also limited. If no action is taken in markedly male-biased populations, fight-related mortalities are likely to increase once these surplus males grow up. If surplus males killed only other males then perhaps they could just be left to fight it out and let natural selection take its course. However, conservationists have expressed concern that in such populations, valuable breeding females and calves may be injured or even killed as well as other males, as appeared to have been the case in Pilanesberg National Park in the past.

Surplus males also use valuable food resources that may affect female breeding performance. Although not yet conclusive, preliminary evidence from annual SADC Rhino Management Group status reporting suggests that female reproductive success may also be slightly higher in populations with a higher proportion of adult females to males. Thus many field managers in southern Africa have for some time now sought to find a way to reduce the number of surplus males in such populations. Somewhat counter-intuitively, the hunting of a limited number of surplus males may end up stimulating metapopulation growth rates and hence overall rhino numbers.

Only some populations have a surplus male problem. Owners or management agencies conserving populations that end up with skewed sex ratios in favour of females over males are invariably happy for this to remain the case as long as possible, as percentage growth rates and calving production will be higher. This is similar to productive cattle farming, where the number of bulls in a herd is limited to maintain rapid population breeding rates. Managers of such female-skewed black rhino populations are simply not keen to accept males.

The corollary is that while populations that end up with markedly skewed sex ratios in favour of males usually want to obtain more females, sourcing additional females is very difficult. Many donor populations, not unexpectedly, are loath to provide females only, as this would negatively affect the donor population’s sex structure and potential future performance. In practice, it is hard for the populations that have by chance ended up with more males to source and obtain additional females.

It is also known that specific rhino males can dominate the breeding and sire a large proportion of the calves in smaller populations. The removal of such animals after a period of say 10–15 years may therefore reduce the risk of father–daughter matings and contribute positively to the genetic management of such populations, in the same way that a cattle farmer is unlikely to keep the same breeding bull for an extended period. In addition, the hunting of an old post-reproductive male that has been pushed out of his territory will not affect his contribution to the gene pool of that population.
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 3:36pm   #85
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
The way I read it, the endangered rhino wasn't dead. It was tranquilized for scientists to do thier thing.
Quote:
Jones defended the image saying that it showed a live animal: "The vet drew blood, took DNA samples, took body and head measurements, treated a leg injury and administered antibiotics."

"I felt very lucky to be part of such a great program and procedure that helps the White Rhino population through conservation," she wrote.
I'd be very intersted in knowing if this is true. I think she's defending her action just a bit much.
Old 07-02-2014, 3:37pm   #86
NeedSpeed
A Real Barner

Thanked 5,579 Times in 2,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1553643

Quote:
Why stupid? I'd be pretty proud of that too, not too many people will get the opportunity to hunt a Rhino legally.

Just a quick google:The debate about rhino hunting
Great, now it's gonna be save the gay rhinos
NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeedSpeed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 3:45pm   #87
syf350
Barn Stall Owner #30
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,656 Times in 812 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1243928

Quote:
Often times especially with the older males they are not breeding, but killing other animals thus preventing the younger males from actually breeding.

Yes, thinning of an older more disgruntled rino can be good for the herd and the population.
this.

open your eyes a bit, mucusmuncher. Do you really think some 19 year old cheerleader from texas can just waltz on in to africa and start shooting shit up for fun? these animals are targeted specifically for the sake of the over all betterment of the herds/clans/prides/whateverthehellyouwannacallem. they are targeted by people that are a hell of a lot smarter than her and dialed into the actual preservation of these animals. she just happens to have the money to be the one to pull the trigger/fling the arrow. if not her, there's a very long list of others that will pay and do it.
syf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 3:46pm   #88
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,615 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $975924

Quote:
I'd be very intersted in knowing if this is true. I think she's defending her action just a bit much.
I think her defense is quite in proportion to the hate being piled on her for doing nothing wrong.
ApexOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApexOversteer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 3:52pm   #89
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
So you're calling her a liar. Wanna bet you wouldn't do it to her or her family's face.
Why not? Would she shoot me? Beat me up? What do you think would happen? Violence?

This is the second time you've made mention of this 'to his/her face' comment. What's up with that?
Old 07-02-2014, 4:04pm   #90
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 11,563 Times in 5,702 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Why not? Would she shoot me? Beat me up? What do you think would happen? Violence?

This is the second time you've made mention of this 'to his/her face' comment. What's up with that?
Uppercut to jaw, neck snap back, cross cut to side of face.....

IF you wake up, you maybe have a come back......

pose over your unconscious ass on the ground.....with a smile.....HELL, be ME, I"d pull your pants down for the point being made.....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 4:09pm   #91
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Thomas serious question, how often have you been hunting say deer, quail, etc?

I've been hunting many times in my youth with my parents and I can tell you they followed the laws/rules for hunting. For deer only so many does and bucks are allowed to be killed per person. Only certain things could be used to "lure" them to be put in a position to be killed. And people who they hunted with would report violators quick as lightning.

I imagine the rules for game hunting over there are VERY strict. Are the poachers? Sure. But this young woman is playing by the rules and actually helping. It's not like she's out there working with poachers and then posing with dead animals just for the "thrill of the kill".

But those who cry out for "tolerance" start calling her a cunt and saying "fuck her" thanks to some biased without actually looking into the situation.

I suggest taking a step back, and if it really does bother you, look into the claims she has made. If they turn out to be false then feel free to post them up. I would imagine many of us would be pretty pissed if that's the case.

However, I'm betting what you'll find is she's actually out there helping and telling the truth.
Years ago I did some pheasant hunting. Certain aspects of it I enjoyed. Some things I loathed. As I'm sure everyone here probably know's, I'm a bit of a bleeding heart for animals. I won't apologize for it, nor will I defend it. It's just part of my make-up I suppose. I should also mention I think PITA and their ilk should be gored in the ball sack by a Rhinoceros

Parallel story. I did a job about 15 years ago at a facility where they were doing animal testing. Knees on dogs specifically. It upset me, I asked to be taken off the job and put somewhere else. (And I was running the fukin' job)

My point is I know this practice is happening, but I'd rather not see it. And I REALLY don't want someone gloating over it as she appears to be doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 4:11pm   #92
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Would you seriously put up with someone getting in your wife's face calling her a liar, c-nt or a-hole?
Nope. I wouldn't I also didn't call her any of those things in any of my responses. I believe the worst I said was 'Fuk her'

Quote:
If some stranger come up to my daughter with an angry attitude and started calling her a liar they might enjoy a trip to the dentist.
Your daughter is how old? This is a woman we're discussing in this thread.
Old 07-02-2014, 4:19pm   #93
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 11,563 Times in 5,702 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Decades ago a man owned a horse farm, Sid boarded horses for the owners, he had a groundhog problem, Larry and I used to go out and pick them off, interesting targets from ~200 yards , and it was funny how they died, in that one shot would sometimes just disable them, then it was a long run up to him before he got back in the hole to die a slo death.....one of them took another shot from the rifle, and then TWO shots at point blank range from a .45 auto before finally giving it UP already.....

spent many a afternoon out there over top of a hill, peering through binoc's and with plain vision, trying to remember what was a cedar tree stump, and what was a hawg.....amusing times.....

thing was, to keep the holes filled in so the horses would not break their legs.......cows either, as he would switch the fields around for some reason or other.....

Today, I suspect it's a location of some major power brokers in the DC region.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 4:27pm   #94
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
You post trophies when you dogs win awards/shows right?
I don't post pics, and we don't mount the heads on our walls..

We just eat what we kill..

Woof! Woof!

But if we did make the heads wall trophies.. I'm kinda just guessing someone would be growling about it..

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to island14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 4:29pm   #95
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,452 Times in 10,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

I subscribe to the Ted Nugent philosophy...

KILL IT & GRILL IT!!!!
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 4:33pm   #96
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
I subscribe to the Ted Nugent philosophy...

KILL IT & GRILL IT!!!!

Old 07-02-2014, 4:34pm   #97
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Now THOSE guys should be shot and posted on FB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 4:36pm   #98
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,452 Times in 10,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 4:37pm   #99
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
Now THOSE guys should be shot and posted on FB.
Thought we needed to bring a little humor to this..
The Following User Says Thank You to island14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 4:38pm   #100
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals