Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2020, 10:58am   #41
ThePirate
Barn Stall Owner #107
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1793

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post

That's what I'm talking about. His fingers move faster than his brain can think. No BS, just playing his @ss off.

Trigger warning: Billy Strings and Del McCoury.

ThePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePirate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 9:58pm   #42
BADRACR1
Barn Stall Owner #5150
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,502 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2000032332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
That solo isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds if you really give it a listen. It's primarily a series of repeated triplets. (Snik will understand this) That, and there are two people, Allen Collins and Gary Rossington wailing away.

Solo starts @ 4:55

https://youtu.be/CqnU_sJ8V-E
I play at the guitar. Or used to. Haven't really fooled with it much in years. Do I think I was good? In all honesty, fair at best. Mostly rhythm, didn't want to make it cry or sing. (Some oldsters will get that.) I did enjoy it, though.
Waaaay back in high school and for a few years after that I was in a couple of bands. Dated the lead singer in the first one. Neither the relationship and the band lasted very long. Second one was really just a couple of friends and I jamming at our houses and every now and then for some friends getting together. No money earned, just alcohol, snacks, and pharmaceuticals (it was the eighties...). We did keep it going for a few years and could make some decent sounds. Mostly Southern rock and some heavy metal.
That being said I understand a little about the structure of music and how to break it down. Freebird. I love that damn song. One of my all time favorites. Especially the live versions. But like you said if one breaks it down it isn't that complicated. They do, however, make it sound great.
I've known some guys who were pretty talented. One friend actually toured with Humble Pie and Ted Nugent for a couple of years. Another guy is always on call as a sub drummer for local venues and got to play with the Beach Boys a couple of years ago.
As for your talents, sir, you are way better now than I was then or ever hoped to be. I always peep the videos you post. The Riviera Paradise one was the wife's fave as it is her favorite song. Loves SRV. The knowledge of being able to engineer and produce I am sure helps a lot in creating your sound in addition to being great skills to possess. And you should be commended for not being a "dick" to others with lesser skill. It's easy for those to criticize others about that they cannot do so themselves. They have no chance at failure.
Well done, sir. I like it!
BADRACR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BADRACR1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 8:19am   #43
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 9,000 Times in 2,776 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADRACR1 View Post
I play at the guitar. Or used to. Haven't really fooled with it much in years. Do I think I was good? In all honesty, fair at best. Mostly rhythm, didn't want to make it cry or sing. (Some oldsters will get that.) I did enjoy it, though.
Waaaay back in high school and for a few years after that I was in a couple of bands. Dated the lead singer in the first one. Neither the relationship and the band lasted very long. Second one was really just a couple of friends and I jamming at our houses and every now and then for some friends getting together. No money earned, just alcohol, snacks, and pharmaceuticals (it was the eighties...). We did keep it going for a few years and could make some decent sounds. Mostly Southern rock and some heavy metal.
That being said I understand a little about the structure of music and how to break it down. Freebird. I love that damn song. One of my all time favorites. Especially the live versions. But like you said if one breaks it down it isn't that complicated. They do, however, make it sound great.
I've known some guys who were pretty talented. One friend actually toured with Humble Pie and Ted Nugent for a couple of years. Another guy is always on call as a sub drummer for local venues and got to play with the Beach Boys a couple of years ago.
As for your talents, sir, you are way better now than I was then or ever hoped to be. I always peep the videos you post. The Riviera Paradise one was the wife's fave as it is her favorite song. Loves SRV. The knowledge of being able to engineer and produce I am sure helps a lot in creating your sound in addition to being great skills to possess. And you should be commended for not being a "dick" to others with lesser skill. It's easy for those to criticize others about that they cannot do so themselves. They have no chance at failure.
Well done, sir. I like it!
Honestly I know zip about engineering. But I am lucky to have a very accomplished producer who introduced me to a Grammy winning engineer who recorded my last album. It is very true, they make you sound good. Particularly vocals. Although we don’t use Autotune, compression and EQ can totally change ones voice (a $5k mic helps too!). I hope someday I can make another. Likely not.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 11:20am   #44
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
I find that half the fun of figuring out someone else's song is nailing the sonics.
I hate that part. I'm not kidding. I don't have the patience to dig in and analyze ANYONE'S tone. I noticed Snik had some compression going but how much and what his settings were are of no interest to me. Those are his settings tuned to his ear. Even if I was able to duplicate them it wouldn't matter. I'd never sound like him anyway.

Not only that a lot of the commonly held beliefs; Heavy guitars = More sustain & Heavy strings + Big tone are huge generalizations that really don't hold up. Billy Gibbons uses 7's. Who has a bigger sound than that guy? "Corvettes are fast" says the guy with the '75; 165HP C3.

I hate all those damn knobs.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 1:09pm   #45
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
I hate that part. I'm not kidding. I don't have the patience to dig in and analyze ANYONE'S tone. I noticed Snik had some compression going but how much and what his settings were are of no interest to me. Those are his settings tuned to his ear. Even if I was able to duplicate them it wouldn't matter. I'd never sound like him anyway.

Not only that a lot of the commonly held beliefs; Heavy guitars = More sustain & Heavy strings + Big tone are huge generalizations that really don't hold up. Billy Gibbons uses 7's. Who has a bigger sound than that guy? "Corvettes are fast" says the guy with the '75; 165HP C3.

Just turn everything up to 11.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 3:47pm   #46
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 9,000 Times in 2,776 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:

I’m very much the same way. I’ve learned some things over the years, for example, turning off all reverb in large clubs (reverb buries you in the mix unless you are using it for effect). I get good tone from using vintage amps, keeping them all original and matching them with guitars made to vintage (50’s) specs. From wiring, capacitors, pots, wood and finish. I hate buzzing so I’ve always used him canceling modern pickups, but I choose the lowest output, most vintage sounding I can get. With the exception of the Tele (those pickups are hot as shit).

I don’t generally use stomp boxes except for wah (which I almost never use), reverb (my amp has none) a tuner, and a handmade Koch Gristle King which is basically a clean boost. It has an overdrive channel, but I don’t use it. I like it because it doesn’t color the sound. Just makes it slightly louder for clean soloing.

Occasionally I use a tremolo pedal because my amp’s trem is pretty weak.

Hell, my amp doesn’t even have a mid control! Just treble and bass. I spent almost zero time fiddling with it. I may adjust it depending on the room, mostly turning the bass down.

I think 90% of tone comes from your fingers, vibrato, picking style. And 90% of audiences don’t notice anyway.

Derek Obrien has taught me a ton about tone. He plays original late 50’s Strats with mid fifties Deluxe Reverbs. His main guitar was given to him by Stevie 40 years ago. Derek was the guy Stevie begged to get on stage at Antones. Derek said “no” for years. Ultimately Stevie asked him to join Double Trouble but their manager said Hell No.

Stevie was worried about playing some of the new songs on In Step since he had trouble singing them and playing at the same time. You will notice he ultimately just didn’t play when he was singing.

I’m learning a lot about the history of that band since I know his manager, drummer, Stevie’s replacement, his guitar tech, his brother - it’s a bit strange but a great privilege. I don’t play any of his material any more because it seems very uncomfortable. Plus, I don’t even come close.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:05am   #47
simpleman68
Barn Stall Owner #17
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '12,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,103 Times in 4,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10510030

Great tune Snik. Glad to see you're still out there and vertical.
Scott

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic