Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 9:25am   #61
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.8%

Thanked 7,729 Times in 3,439 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

What it all comes down to is very simple... liberals want to take credit for giving people healthcare but refuse to take credit for what it takes and what it costs to make it happen.

Take credit for anything you see as good. Villainize and blame somebody else for the bad. liberalism 101.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13am   #62
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.6%

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,540 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
Instead of raising the price of his pizza 14 fuking cents, he would rather lay off employees.

John Schnatter, Papa John's CEO: Obamacare likely to raise costs, employee hours being cut

He sold 1.2 billion dollars worth of shitty pizza last year and now wants to cut his employees hours because he estimates the new health care law will cost his company between 5-8 million dollars. A number works out to about half a percent in sales.

Now before you get on your high horse about business cost and how the 14 fuking cents will put him out of business, consider this.

This asshole is already using the government to subsidise his employees health care.

Surely no one flipping pizza is able to afford health insurance on their own, so the only other option is Medicaid.

So that's right. Instead of raising the price of a pizza 14 fuking cents, this asshole would prefer to keep his employees health care cost on the US tax payers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBlue View Post
This pisses me off to no end. What an asshole.

I'm sure some idiot will run to his defense, but this just shows how little he cares about his employees. I think most of them are franchises, so I don't think it will effect as much as he thinks.
Quote:
Ah, the business is in the business of profit with no social concience argument. Heard it alot in grad school. Was stupid then too.

It is a favorite of small business that utilizes relatively non skilled labor. If you need any kind of intellectual horsepower, however, this dies a quick death.

Quote:
Everyone knows the costs are going to be passed on to the consumer. So just do it. Don't be an asshole over 14 cents. It's just a pr nightmare.

FYI I will never vote for a democrat because I'm in pharma and it always leads to some asshole running the FDA that turns it hostile to industry.
Quote:
He wasn't charging you $12.14 because the have this unique thing called a MARKETING DEPARTMENT who would laugh if you tried to put that on an ad.

It has nothing to do with supply and demand. This market is pretting inelastic. We are talking about pizzas, ok?
Quote:
It won't effect sales that much and far from clueless. It just doesn't work in this market. Sorry. I could go into the whole discretionary spending market theory, but if I wanted to teach at vandy I would.

And the thought sales and marketing go hand in hand is ubsurd. Anyone who has worked at a major corporation in sales will tell you marketing and sales spend most of the time at each other's throats.

My point is he's an idiot. And the same costs of 14 cents will be picked up somewhere else like a 25 cent up in the delivery charge at Domino's and no one will say shit.
Quote:
If you think someone isn't going to pay 14 cents more for a pizza, you're nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
The dude could have put one less slice of pepperoni to save the .14 cents.
It's his perogative to do what he wants but it seems pretty shifty.
He could have done this all quietly no matter what decision he made but chose to make it a media event. That's what makes him a dick.

Personally I couldn't care less if my favourite pizza place doubled the price of their pizza.
It's what I prefer and am willing to pay it.
Quote:
Lock it up. I knew at sometime some rational actor would prove the theory of discretionary spending. Only a matter of time.
Quote:
Sure. And his actions show he is an asshole.
It seems as though we have quite a few experts with tons of experience in the shitty pizza business. I will be the first to say I have no idea how "14 fuking cents" will affect the company. I will make the assumption that the shitty pizza business is extremely competitive. I doubt there is that much brand loyalty from one franchise to another, thus making the argument that people will pay whatever it costs wrong. We are not talking about a strong customer following like you may have with an independent pizza place. When was the last time you heard someone say they will eat only Little Ceasars pizza and nothing else.

Another question: How many here that thing "14 fuking cents" is not a big deal have had to make payroll? Ever lost sleep thinking about that not so little problem? I have. It drastically changes your view of business. Sure the owner of Papa John's is rich now, but you never lose track of how fast expenses can get away from you. "14 fuking cents" turns into millions quicker than you can imagine.

Last edited by Millenium Vette; 11-15-2012 at 11:46am.
Millenium Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29am   #63
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
It seems as though we have quite a few experts with tons of experience in the shitty pizza business.
Did you miss this?
Quote:
I'm not at all knowledgeable on this topic.
That's from my post. I'm not claiming to be an expert at all. As a matter of fact, I've openly admitted I don't know a lot about the subject.

My comment, and my ONLY comment was it seems kinda petty over .14 cents. Maybe you could refrain from tossing me in your so called group of experts?

Thanks.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36am   #64
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Did you miss this?

That's from my post. I'm not claiming to be an expert at all. As a matter of fact, I've openly admitted I don't know a lot about the subject.

My comment, and my ONLY comment was it seems kinda petty over .14 cents. Maybe you could refrain from tossing me in your so called group of experts?

Thanks.
Sure, no problem. But, do you see my point of .14 cents adding up to millions? That is not small change. I did not post to be nasty, but to make a point.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28am   #65
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
...estimating the new law would cost the business $5 million to $8 million annually.
Papa John's Pizza
Type Public (NASDAQ: PZZA)
Net income US $51.940 million (2010)

It's only 10-15% of the net income of the company. No big deal at all, right? F*ck it. He's rich.

Are you really so completely oblivious and simple minded that you think it is only "14 fuking cents"??
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37am   #66
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Which actions?

Costs will go up. This is a pretty simple fact. Is he an ass-hole for stating the obvious?

There is the possibility that some franchises will cut back employee hours. This seems pretty obvious. Is he an ass-hole for stating this?

Back to the above. His costs go up, his prices go up as a result. Is he an ass-hole for stating this?

About 1/3 of all employees are on company insurance. He allegedly wants to insure more. He cites rising costs as the main deterrent. No chit. Is he an ass-hole for stating this?

Despite not being a fan, he's willing to try to look on the bright side, and assume the law will actually work as alleged (it won't). Is he an ass-hole for this? He states the estimate of what it will cost Papa Johns annually. Is he an ass-hole for disclosing this?

Going back to the very first quote again. He restates the OBVIOUS. Some franchise owners are going to have to adjust by cutting hours. Is he an ass-hole for stating the OBVIOUS, that some franchise owners will cut hours?

Papa John's CEO isn't a member here to my knowledge, but you really need to stop calling him an ass-hole anyway. It's getting old, considering in order to do so you're (1) taking him completely out of context, and (2) on top of that, blaming the out-of-context strawman you've created for the actions of the Democratic party and the President.
Its 14 fuking cents per pizza Will.

Jesus H Christ.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39am   #67
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Papa John's Pizza
Type Public (NASDAQ: PZZA)
Net income US $51.940 million (2010)

It's only 10-15% of the net income of the company. No big deal at all, right? F*ck it. He's rich.

Are you really so completely oblivious and simple minded that you think it is only "14 fuking cents"??
Are you so simple minded as to not understand the 14 cents makes up the difference?
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41am   #68
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.9%

Thanked 5,730 Times in 2,714 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:

Jesus H Christ.
Good, let you and all those that voted for Obama pay it then.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59am   #69
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 5.2%

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,953 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

I'd suggest that those who don't like his business policy not buy his pizza.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01pm   #70
jaxgator
Barn Stall Owner #99
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14

Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,743 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'd suggest that those who don't like his business policy not buy his pizza.
If that's the case, they'll be going without quite a bit before too long.
jaxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03pm   #71
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:

Jesus H Christ.

That's assuming sales doesn't drop. But then again I'm sure his company does a ton of research that sets the price for their pizzas. I suspect they've done their homework and established they won't be able to raise the price of their pizza by 14 cents without feeling the effects. So, it's only 14 cents per current sales numbers, but that number rises as sales drops. Or are you suggesting you think it's fair to take that out of the pocket of the company owner?

This health care law is absolute bullshit, and is putting many of our business owners in tight situations. To compound that, liberals much like yourself are attempting to ridicule companies for reacting differently to the bill than you'd like. Lets face it, it's a free market, he's done the math and decided he can't raise the price of the pizza, and can simply restructure his employment to adapt to the bill in the most profitable manner. Don't like it? Blame the bill, not the business reacting to the law.
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stangkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06pm   #72
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 5.2%

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,953 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgator View Post
If that's the case, they'll be going without quite a bit before too long.
I'm okay with that. Vote with you wallet.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15pm   #73
jaxgator
Barn Stall Owner #99
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14

Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,743 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangkiller View Post
This health care law is absolute bullshit, and is putting many of our business owners in tight situations. To compound that, liberals much like yourself are attempting to ridicule companies for reacting differently to the bill than you'd like. Lets face it, it's a free market, he's done the math and decided he can't raise the price of the pizza, and can simply restructure his employment to adapt to the bill in the most profitable manner. Don't like it? Blame the bill, not the business reacting to the law.
But, but, but.....it's those greedy corporations that don't want the poor to have "free" healthcare. Besides, didn't you know that healthcare is a basic human right?
jaxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19pm   #74
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Are you so simple minded as to not understand the 14 cents makes up the difference?

So I guess the answer is yes. You actually are simple minded enough to think that you can dumb down complex economics to the level of crayons and construction paper.

I have a very simple question.

Seeing as it is a reasonable statement to say that Papa John's was already doing everything possible to maximize profit, why were they not already charging $.14 more?

You don't just raise prices $.14 and multiply it out. Despite your best efforts to use kindergarten math, it is not that simple. The complexities of marketing and sales are far and above what you seem to make of them. When you raise the price, you lose market share. It is the most basic marketing principle possible. How is it possible for someone in sales not to comprehend that?

By your way of thinking, they could raise the prices another $.50 and make an easy $20 million more profit. Too bad they didn't have someone as smart as you letting them know it was that easy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24pm   #75
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgator View Post
But, but, but.....it's those greedy corporations that don't want the poor to have "free" healthcare. Besides, didn't you know that healthcare is a basic human right?
Since nobdy's asked this...since when has working at a fast food restaurant become a career requiring health insurance?
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stangkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 2:21pm   #76
kingpin
SnowJob
Barn Stall Owner #999
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 5,716 Times in 2,999 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8052038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
It seems as though we have quite a few experts with tons of experience in the shitty pizza business. I will be the first to say I have no idea how "14 fuking cents" will affect the company. I will make the assumption that the shitty pizza business is extremely competitive. I doubt there is that much brand loyalty from one franchise to another, thus making the argument that people will pay whatever it costs wrong. We are not talking about a strong customer following like you may have with an independent pizza place. When was the last time you heard someone say they will eat only Little Ceasars pizza and nothing else.

Another question: How many here that thing "14 fuking cents" is not a big deal have had to make payroll? Ever lost sleep thinking about that not so little problem? I have. It drastically changes your view of business. Sure the owner of Papa John's is rich now, but you never lose track of how fast expenses can get away from you. "14 fuking cents" turns into millions quicker than you can imagine.
I will say this first.
I have never been, and never will be against Corporate business for the way they choose to make money, or how much they want to keep. I've said this before.

My point I was trying to make was there was a better way to handle this and it was internally.
PJ chose to come out and publicly say what their plan was.
Either to show their lack of support for the current administration, or to prove a point.
This can very easily backfire on them as PR is not always good for business. Especially in such a politically strong mindset like in the US.
kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 2:39pm   #77
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
I will say this first.
I have never been, and never will be against Corporate business for the way they choose to make money, or how much they want to keep. I've said this before.

My point I was trying to make was there was a better way to handle this and it was internally.
PJ chose to come out and publicly say what their plan was.
Either to show their lack of support for the current administration, or to prove a point.

This can very easily backfire on them as PR is not always good for business. Especially in such a politically strong mindset like in the US.
Or, it might possibly be because Papa John's is a publicly traded company and he has an obligation to report to shareholders what is happening with the company.

Quote:
John Schnatter: In August, he made national headlines after telling shareholders the Affordable Care Act — commonly known as Obamacare — would result in a 10- to 14-cent increase for customers buying a pizza.
The Following User Says Thank You to Millenium Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 2:58pm   #78
kingpin
SnowJob
Barn Stall Owner #999
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 5,716 Times in 2,999 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8052038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
Or, it might possibly be because Papa John's is a publicly traded company and he has an obligation to report to shareholders what is happening with the company.
Damn it! Skimming gets me in trouble again.

I still think it should have been handled internally.
kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 3:06pm   #79
Blademaker
Barn Stall Owner #89
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 6,754 Times in 3,413 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $536709986

Still crappy pizza, IMO.
Blademaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 3:25pm   #80
Doug28450